View Full Version : Obligatory FI thread

call_me_andrew
22nd August 2009, 04:34
Found this through Jayski:

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/nascar/cup/news/story?id=4414698

Carburetors out, fuel injection in?Comment Email Print Share By David Newton
ESPN.com
Archive
BRISTOL, Tenn. -- NASCAR is researching the possibility of moving from engines with carburetors to fuel injection.

Officials met with top engine builders from organizations earlier this month to discuss the move of that technology and others that would make cars more fuel efficient and more like cars on the manufacturer showroom floor.

Manufacturers switched fully from carburetors to fuel injection in the 1980s.

No timetable has been set for when fuel injection could be used, but Toyotas Lee White said his company could be ready to go by the 2010 opener at Daytona if NASCAR gave the go-ahead.

"I would vote for it," White said on Friday at Bristol Motor Speedway. "No question, because everyone right now is spending an absolute fortune on [carburetor technology] that has absolute zero application in real life."

White said all manufacturers need to be more conscious about the environment to survive, and he believes NASCAR needs to move more in that direction.

"Sit in the grandstands and watch these cars go into Turns 1 and Turns 3 and watch all the fuel belching out the tailpipe," he said.

White said the transition could be made easily and without great expense.

"Its something that could be implemented along with a few other things that could be discussed that could potentially reduce costs and increase the potential audience for the sport," he said.

This confirms that teams are spending a lot of money for R&D on carbs. Which contradicts a claim made by a certain someone who will be named in this quote.

Andrew, they don't spend any money on R and D on Carbs now...so I don't know where you get the idea that the Carbs are expensive. As for the belief you cant polish intake manifolds, they are smoothed up a lot more than stock trust me.

http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130579

So this is really just an "I've been proven right 8 months later" thread.

racing393
26th August 2009, 22:41
another cost cutting exercise.....

Lee Roy
27th August 2009, 12:46
So this is really just an "I've been proven right 8 months later" thread.

I've learned better than to doubt anything you say. You certainly do your homework. ;) :D

Mark in Oshawa
28th August 2009, 22:13
Mea Culpa. I listen to Sirius NASCAR every day, and up til about a few days ago, the hosts on there were figuring NASCAR wasn't going to go down this road. Guess who heard that and remembered Andrew and I going at it over this??? lol...

I should never underestimate the ability of team owners to do research, even on dinosaur tech....

PA Rick
31st August 2009, 04:12
Surely, NASCAR will not allow any electronic control system, which leads me to believe the '50's Corvette Rochester mechanical injection will be used in lieu of electronic fuel injection.

Mark in Oshawa
31st August 2009, 05:17
Rick..I suspect they will go the Electronic route...how I don't know...