PDA

View Full Version : Mini linked to world rally return

Cloverleaf
19th August 2009, 20:31
http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/Mini-Concepts/242602/

Mini is being linked to a return to the World Rally Championship with its upcoming 4x4.
The crossover, which is rumoured to be called the Countryman and due to go on sale next year, would be turned into a WRC contender for the 2011 season to coincide with the launch of a JCW model, according to British newspaper Motorsport News.
The Mini Countryman JCW will be powered by a turbocharged 1.6-litre engine, which will fall in line with proposed powerplants for future WRC cars.

The paper quotes a source within the WRC's organisers as saying there had been "a very positive response" to the series from Mini personnel.
Mini rallying legend Paddy Hopkirk, who won the 1964 Monte Carlo Rally in a Mini Cooper S, continues to work for BMW as an ambassador.
He told Motorsport News, “The level of engineering is amazing and very diligent – they’re a company
that doesn’t take shortcuts. Everything they do they do well. If there is aproblem they will throw more money at it until they get it right. Without the [BMW Sauber] F1 project there could be more money to do that.
“People love the Mini and actually love the new Mini as well. It would be terrific to see Mini in the WRC. I’ve got the highest respect for the company and it would be magnificent for the glory days of rallying to return and for Mini to be a part of that.
“I’m kind of an ambassador for the company already. I drive a Mini on the road and I wouldn’t do that if I didn’t believe in the product. I love the car.”
A Mini UK spokesman told Autocar, "There are no official plans at this stage. It is a story that has been doing the rounds for some time, as we will have a four-wheel-drive car for the first time, but at the moment there isn't a plan.
"If it does happen it would be late 2011 at the earliest, as JCW models traditionally follow on 12 months after the launch of the car."

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a186/tayyar_ak47/misc/minicrossover.jpg

urabus-denoS2000
19th August 2009, 21:08
Cool ;)
I doubt it though

A.F.F.
19th August 2009, 21:15
So many cool cars available for WRC, so little truth in the rumours...

N.O.T
19th August 2009, 21:59
4x4s always had tremendus success in the WRC.....good its only a rumour...

Xsara Fan
19th August 2009, 23:14
Great! It was a good decision for me to buy Cooper S ;)

Barreis
19th August 2009, 23:48
Good news! :)

gloomyDAY
20th August 2009, 05:59
Ahhh crap! WRC is better off shooting itself in the head than getting Mini's participation.

The new Minis are a b@stardized version of the originals.
Don't argue with me, you know I'm right.

Leon
20th August 2009, 07:35
Ahhh crap! WRC is better off shooting itself in the head than getting Mini's participation.

The new Minis are a b@stardized version of the originals.
Don't argue with me, you know I'm right.

Agree from personal experience. Worst reliability, high mentainance costs and ripped off from importers.

seb_sh
20th August 2009, 09:55
Bah I doubt it too, prolly just some journalists seeing 1.6T in WRC rules and the new Mini and decided it fits. It doesn't make much sense to use that as the base for a 2011 spec WRC esp if the new cars are based on S2000 rules where the 4x4 system is not built by the teams.

This does show that roadcars are going the 1.6T route so there might be more suitable models for WRC in the near future.

Barreis
20th August 2009, 12:30
I would like to have one in garage.. :)

Mihai
20th August 2009, 16:12
This does show that roadcars are going the 1.6T route so there might be more suitable models for WRC in the near future.

The Mini Cooper S uses a 1.6T engine with overboost function since quite a while. Yesterday I read that the new Peugeot RCZ (Pug's version of the Audi TT) will also get the same 1.6T engine as the top powertrain option, so it does become more often seen in road cars.

ste898
20th August 2009, 19:05
Would be good to see them in WRC.......but that is one hell of a ugly beast!!!

RallyCat909
21st August 2009, 03:06
A mini in the WRC would be great for exposure, indeed, too bad that thing is rather ungainly. I bet one in rally clothes would certainly look better though. :)

Donney
21st August 2009, 07:42
I don't think rallying is cool enough for the new Mini...

AndyRAC
21st August 2009, 08:40
I don't think rallying is cool enough for the new Mini...

Possibly, but BMW have never shown much enthusiasm for it in an official capacity. It doesn't really fit their 'niche'....whatever that is supposed to mean. Marketing gobble-de-gook..

koko0703
21st August 2009, 13:56
I think it will be a good publicity for both Mini and WRC if they come into the WRC. But it's still hard to believe Mini will be in WRC in 2011. This news happen to coincide with the BMW's exit from Formula 1 so it was easy for media to write story more realistic than it actually is.