PDA

View Full Version : Massa back by Brazil?

Sonic
18th August 2009, 10:15
Now imagine the Brazilian crowd at normal volumes and increase ten fold for that homecoming.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77739

woody2goody
18th August 2009, 14:14
While it would be great, he still shouldn't do it.

He's still putting himself at unnecessary risk too early.

This is one of the things I actually agree with ioan about.

nigelred5
18th August 2009, 14:23
A basal skull fracture is nothing to take lightly. I've been far more concerned about that injury than the actual spring impact since the first solid reports on his condition, yet there has been virtually zero discussion about it.

He wouldn't be with us had he not been wearing the HANS.

ioan
18th August 2009, 15:52
A basal skull fracture is nothing to take lightly. I've been far more concerned about that injury than the actual spring impact since the first solid reports on his condition, yet there has been virtually zero discussion about it.

He wouldn't be with us had he not been wearing the HANS.

His basilar skull fracture is one an the same with the fracture of the bone around his eye and was due to the impact with the spring.
Just because it's called basilar it doesn't have anything to do with a bone towards the neck.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basilar_skull_fracture

nigelred5
18th August 2009, 17:22
That wasn't what I read at all but then I was also reading early translated reports. Orbital and Occipital can easily be incorrectly translated.

I work with spinal cord injuries every day. I know well what a basilar skull fracture is. I just read specifically it was an occipital fracture in addition to the ethmoid fracture. ;)

ioan
18th August 2009, 20:46
That wasn't what I read at all but then I was also reading early translated reports. Orbital and Occipital can easily be incorrectly translated.

I work with spinal cord injuries every day. I know well what a basilar skull fracture is. I just read specifically it was an occipital fracture in addition to the ethmoid fracture. ;)

I think the reports were pretty bad as far as accuracy goes in Felipe's case.
If he would have broken his skull somewhere in the occipital region I doubt they would have left him out the hospital without some kind of head support, as it was he left the hospital like if nothing were, but his swollen eye and the adjacent cut.

Saint Devote
19th August 2009, 01:47
Massa can aim to return by Interlagos, but he will have to undergo extensive tests and if the doctors okay his return then he will.

Drivers have always been like that - Lauda was back in the Ferrari at Monza only six weeks after being at death's door and together with pain killers his incredible courage and determination he raced to fourth.

The blood soaked balaclava after the race did shock people.

These days I think there is more regulation and nannying of drivers so he may still be prevented by the mother grundies that have flourished as government has become more intrusive and tyrannical in the lives of individuals.

Sonic
19th August 2009, 11:21
Massa can aim to return by Interlagos, but he will have to undergo extensive tests and if the doctors okay his return then he will.

Drivers have always been like that - Lauda was back in the Ferrari at Monza only six weeks after being at death's door and together with pain killers his incredible courage and determination he raced to fourth.

The blood soaked balaclava after the race did shock people.

These days I think there is more regulation and nannying of drivers so he may still be prevented by the mother grundies that have flourished as government has become more intrusive and tyrannical in the lives of individuals.

A good post until the last paragraph IMO. Regerdless of the drivers desire to get back in the car the "nannying" as you put it is required to protect the other drivers. Imagine if Massa took a small knock which under normal circumstance would amount to nothing, but with his current injury a small bump coukd knock him out cold again and send him into the path of other cars.

Saint Devote
19th August 2009, 11:45
A good post until the last paragraph IMO. Regerdless of the drivers desire to get back in the car the "nannying" as you put it is required to protect the other drivers. Imagine if Massa took a small knock which under normal circumstance would amount to nothing, but with his current injury a small bump coukd knock him out cold again and send him into the path of other cars.

Thank you.
My last point was not too clear then - it was meant as a comment where the regulators would still question something regardless of what the attending physicians would say because THEIR experts disagreed.

Of course I agree that a driver cannot be allowed to endanger others on track.

Sonic
19th August 2009, 11:57
Thank you.
My last point was not too clear then - it was meant as a comment where the regulators would still question something regardless of what the attending physicians would say because THEIR experts disagreed.

Of course I agree that a driver cannot be allowed to endanger others on track.

Understood. As you say English can lack clarity sometimes.

In which case I agree with your whole post. :)

stevie_gerrard
24th August 2009, 14:52
Be very surprised if he will be back in Brazil, but it would be great to see him back as soon as possible.