PDA

View Full Version : 9.58s

Sonic
16th August 2009, 21:00
OMG!

Sonic
16th August 2009, 21:03
Ok. So now I've got over the shock, Bolt is amazing! The greatest sprinter the world has ever seen.

jens
16th August 2009, 21:05
Hell yeah, absolutely stunning! :D He must take some kind of special ultradope that simply can't be discovered, because this is just unreal! But gotta love unreal things too. :)

Robinho
16th August 2009, 21:25
the guy is a machine - so glad to see him go flat out for a whole race, what times for everyone else too - Gay must be in pieces, running the 3rd best time ever, a time that a year ago would have been a massive world record and yet was simply never in contention.

real piece of sprinting history, i can't believe that 20+ yrs ago when Cal Lewis, Linford Christie, Donovan Bailey etc were the worlds fastest, under 10secs was enough to win most races, 9.90 was amazing and nobody thought anyone could do much more than 9.80 - look at that race now - 9.84 for 3rd, everyone apart from Patton who either gave up or got hurt, no-one else slower than 10.00 sec flat.

great for Asafa Powell, yesterday equalled Maurice Greenes record of 52(?) sub 10sec 100m's, today has completed 2 more and performed in a major final. albeit a relatively distant 3rd

Mark in Oshawa
16th August 2009, 21:31
I don't think Bolt needs dope. I suspect it is just god given freakish ability. Tall men are not supposed to be that quick, but he is. He gets those long legs rolling and that isn't so much strength as just a skill he has developed. There is a thought this guy is capable of maybe a 9.3. Frightening if you are an aspiring 100m guy eh?

GridGirl
16th August 2009, 22:30
Powered by chicken nuggetts its seems that you can achive anything. :)

Dave B
17th August 2009, 10:51
Apparently he was talking about doing a sub-9.5 and people laughed. Now it's gone from looking impossible, through unlikely, to almost inevitable. A year ago we'd have been astounded at Tyson Gay's time: now he looks almost ordinary in comparison. :eek:

Mark
17th August 2009, 10:59
I could run faster than that. I just can't be bothered.

Brown, Jon Brow
17th August 2009, 11:12
So what would his top speed be?

Sonic
17th August 2009, 11:14
I think I read an article a few years back suggesting the fastest a human being could cover the 100m was 9.2s (now there is a useless pub fact).

Could Bolt hit that theoretical target? Or perhaps blow science out of the water and go even quicker?

GridGirl
17th August 2009, 13:24
Tope speed is kind of irrelevant when you can on average run the 200m faster than the 100m.

stevie_gerrard
17th August 2009, 15:35
Them Chicken Nuggets smell dodgy to me :p : ;)

A brilliant effort, he really just cannot stop running! The lad is quick

jens
17th August 2009, 17:29
I think I read an article a few years back suggesting the fastest a human being could cover the 100m was 9.2s (now there is a useless pub fact).

Could Bolt hit that theoretical target? Or perhaps blow science out of the water and go even quicker?

Well, the guesses about the ultimate ability of a human being tend to get proven wrong from time-to-time. :) Something like half a century ago it was thought that it's impossible to run faster than 10 seconds. Some said 9,8 was the ultimate limit. Etc.

Robinho
17th August 2009, 20:56
getting to the top speed and maintaining it for as long as possible is the key - Bolt has a random ability for a big man to get to top speed very quickly and his top is quicker than anyone else - for the record on the straight 150m he ran at Deansgate in Manchester earlier in the year (in the cold and wet on a temporary track) he clocked an 8.7 flying 100m.

the time is unreal, he's taken apart the record and readjusted everyones reality when it comes to what is possible - however i do think that was probably close to his perfect base, great start, perfect top speed and ran through. he would have to be in amazing shape compared to his current world beating shape he's already in to shave more than a ciouple of hundreths off that time. that said i never believed anyone would run 9.69 before the olympic final, and after the manner of that run i fully expected him to dip into the 9.5's.

i also find amazing the fact the it is the single largest amount the WR has been lowered since electronic timing was brought in in 1968.

other than Bolt i don't see anyone coming close to that record for 10yrs at least.

CaptainRaiden
18th August 2009, 07:38
I somehow knew before the event that he was gonna break his previous record, but never imagined a 9.5!! Been watching the video again and again since yesterday, it just never gets old. Insane! We have truly witnessed an absolute legend on Sunday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdV3vHSIJtQ

Also, I looked at the replays shown on Eurosport, and it's really mind boggling to see Tyson Gay and Asafa Powell run their butts off, Gay in particular giving everything to the point where his eyes are about to pop out, beating his own previous record, and still getting beaten by what, more than 2 meters? And it didn't even seem like Bolt was trying very hard. That's the scary part. :eek: :p

Usain Bolt = Unbelievable

cali
18th August 2009, 08:32
So what would his top speed be?
I read somewhere that in this run he had 43,2 km/h top speed. Not bad :D

Sonic
18th August 2009, 10:12
From 80 to 100 meters Bolt actually begins to slow down. We can see that his time for the last 20 meters is 0.05 seconds slower than his fastest 20 meter split of 1.61 seconds. We also know that he reached his maximum speed at 65 meters and everything after that was a little slower

The guy still isn't flat out :eek:

Looking at the splits had he kept at his top speed from that 60-80m mark he'd have crossed the line at 9.53!

He was also the slow at reacting to the gun, so there is certainly more time to be gained there too.

For those who wanna get their anoraks out (like me) here is the link to the split times;

http://berlin.iaaf.org/mm/document/development/research/05/30/83/20090817081546_httppostedfile_wch09_m100_final_135 29.pdf

GridGirl
20th August 2009, 19:46
19.19 for the 200m. Amazing.

Robinho
20th August 2009, 20:44
thats was quite incredible, the first time we've seen him stretching every sinew to cross the line, bit f pain etched on his face - the result, another smashed world record, half second clear of the field, clear air behind him.

winning races is nothing to him now, if and when he wants to it about him vs the clock, you could see him looking for the time over the line.

if fit he is the only person who can prevent him winning races, when he gets bored and starts playing with the field he one day will be unstuck, but who cares 100 and 200m Olympic and world champion winner and double world record breaker and holder - he could quit tomorrow and still go down as one of the all time greatest sportsmen.

Eki
20th August 2009, 21:08
thats was quite incredible, the first time we've seen him stretching every sinew to cross the line, bit f pain etched on his face - the result, another smashed world record, half second clear of the field, clear air behind him.

winning races is nothing to him now, if and when he wants to it about him vs the clock, you could see him looking for the time over the line.

if fit he is the only person who can prevent him winning races, when he gets bored and starts playing with the field he one day will be unstuck, but who cares 100 and 200m Olympic and world champion winner and double world record breaker and holder - he could quit tomorrow and still go down as one of the all time greatest sportsmen.
True. Even if he were doped, he can't be that much better doped than the others, so he must have a lot of natural talent.

jens
20th August 2009, 21:28
True. Even if he were doped, he can't be that much better doped than the others, so he must have a lot of natural talent.

True. And when talking about "dope", it really can't be seen with a negative view immediately, because it's clear in current high-tech environment everything is pushed to the limit in preparations to achieve those superb results. So it's part of the game.

Sonic
20th August 2009, 22:23
*picks jaw off the floor*

A MAZE ING!

And he says he felt tired before the race!

555-04Q2
21st August 2009, 10:37
Bolt is a machine. He just cruised in both the 100m and 200m. I think he is good for a 9.4 something in the 100m and about an 18.9 something in the 200m before he retires.

CaptainRaiden
21st August 2009, 11:40
Bolt is a machine.

Exactamundo. I don't see anybody in the next at least 5 years coming close to him, unless he gets injured. Or maybe USA or somebody else make a genetically engineered cyborg who runs the 100 m in 8 seconds. Even if he retires tomorrow, those two records are gonna stand for a LONG time.

You have to feel sorry for the remaining sprinters, who spent more than half the race staring at Bolt's backside. At this moment in time, only Bolt decides who wins in his race or who doesn't. Quite scary and friggin freakishly amazing. :eek: