PDA

View Full Version : Slot Cars-who doesn't like 'em?

UltimateDanGTR
15th August 2009, 11:27
OK, so we are all motorsport fans, and lately me and my mates dusted off my old scalextric and had a whirl of a time. i've got that digital stuff, so we could have four at once (you can get up to 6, but there was only 4 of us) and we had a right ball (I won most of the races, including a 1 hour endurance ;) :D )

anyway, theres something magical about the smell, the atmosphere, the track, and the fact that there are cars racing round your living room at 60mph.

as motorsport fans most of us will probably love slot car racing, whether it be scalextric, carrera, ninco or whatever. great times were remembered from when i was a kid racing with scalextric, it actually beats video gaming for excitement!

so, who else loves slot car racing?

Sonic
15th August 2009, 14:47
A man after my own heart!

Just re-discovered the joys of scalextric myself. None of that namby pamby fannying about with digi though. Two controlers; winner stays on. Bosh!

Daniel
15th August 2009, 15:42
Thought this might interest you :)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/surrey/8187656.stm

Sonic
15th August 2009, 15:52
James May = Leg End!

He now officially jumps to the top of my "cool wall"

Mark in Oshawa
15th August 2009, 17:16
James May should be on any cool wall, but especially now. I miss my old slot car racing days.....

edv
15th August 2009, 17:56
I still have all of my old Monogram & Strombecker sets from the late 60s...2 Monza Banks and all.
Set them up a while back for my video-game-nurtured nephews. WELL! It was like Xmas, Birthday and Halloween all happening at once. I had a big grin, too. :)

UltimateDanGTR
15th August 2009, 18:04
James May should be on any cool wall, but especially now. I miss my old slot car racing days.....

you mean you havn't got a set currently? You need one urgently my friend, a motor racing enthusiast without a slot car set is like italians without pasta.....

I already knew about the james may thing, he is now my most favourite man ever to come out of bristol. oh, russel howard is very cool actually, james may is the second greatest man to ever come out of bristol. anyway, he's doing a tv series where he does insane stuff with toys, along with the brooklands slot car thing he builds a life size house out of lego, and then lives in it for a few days, and yes with a fully working lego plumbing system apparently, that includes a lego loo........

sonic, how dare you insult the digital system with 'namby panmby' :p digital is awesome and adds a whole great realism, especially when you pull out of the slipstream of another car by changing lanes, overtake, then pull across into his lane again so he can't get by again unless he changes lanes! and then with 4 players like i had, well you can imagine it on a 2 lane layout, fantastic! :D

UltimateDanGTR
15th August 2009, 18:06
I still have all of my old Monogram & Strombecker sets from the late 60s...2 Monza Banks and all.
Set them up a while back for my video-game-nurtured nephews. WELL! It was like Xmas, Birthday and Halloween all happening at once. I had a big grin, too. :)

sounds fun! I love racing video games, but none beat slot cars for the pure thrill! monza banks sound cool, what cars?

Daniel
16th August 2009, 22:27
We have a cool wall on our fridge and James May is second only to The Stig in coolness :)

MrJan
16th August 2009, 23:53
Always makes me think of these song lyrics:

There was one of the gang, who had Scalextric and because of that he thought he was better than you.
Every day after school,
You'd go around there to play it,
Hoping to compete for some kind of championship,
But it always took about 15 billion hours to set the track up.
And even when you did, the thing never seemed to work.
It was a dodgy transformer, again and again.
A dodgy transformer, again and again.
It was a dodgy transformer, again and again
A dodgy transformer that cost 3 pounds 10.

I spent hours with Scaletric when I was a kid, most of it trying to get the bloody thing to work and the rest picking up cars and putting them back on the track :D Really need to turf it out of the attic again

DexDexter
18th August 2009, 08:12
OK, so we are all motorsport fans, and lately me and my mates dusted off my old scalextric and had a whirl of a time. i've got that digital stuff, so we could have four at once (you can get up to 6, but there was only 4 of us) and we had a right ball (I won most of the races, including a 1 hour endurance ;) :D )

anyway, theres something magical about the smell, the atmosphere, the track, and the fact that there are cars racing round your living room at 60mph.

as motorsport fans most of us will probably love slot car racing, whether it be scalextric, carrera, ninco or whatever. great times were remembered from when i was a kid racing with scalextric, it actually beats video gaming for excitement!

so, who else loves slot car racing?

Forget about slot cars, I used to race RC cars and they are really something. Any RC car racers here?

Azumanga Davo
19th August 2009, 09:20
Still racing mine locally, although no home track as yet.