PDA

View Full Version : Psychological profile of Malcolm Wilson

Finni
7th August 2009, 10:52
This guy seems to be very persistent but in negative way. I would think that stubborn is the right word. He can't react wisely when he has strong preorientation. There is many examples.

A) Matthew Wilson. It has been obvious that half of the forumers could give Matthew run for his money but Malcolm has still sticking to the plan.

B) J-M Latvala. If two years ago someone would have suggested that Latvala is happy after one minute time loss to Hirvonen in NORF it would have brought funny reactions. Latvala is quite a wreck but because when Malcolm sticks on something or someone he will persist. Actually Malcolm himself said that they have invested so much to Jari-Matti that the only possibility is to go to the end. This attitude is like when you have buyed for something you have to eat it even if it's crap of animal.

D) Petter Solberg. There is still the word that Petter has difficulties to get on Ford due to old times when Petter ditched Malcolm's team. This guy will never forget. It fits well to his psychological profile as proud and stubborn person who just can't change attitudes.

MJW
7th August 2009, 11:22
Very astitute!!! - uncanny in fact what is your 'day job'????

sal
7th August 2009, 11:46
Tell me about your childhood Mr Wilson....

Personally I think it's great that Malcolm shows loyalty to his drivers bearing in mind how he got shafted by Ford when Biasion went to drive for them...

Mihai
7th August 2009, 11:59
In his son, I think Malcolm Wilson sees himself: a half-decent driver who was never going to set the world rally scene on fire, but who could have won a few gravel events in lucky circumstances, if given top material in a team offering him an almost ideal environment with no pressure around. I also don't think Malcolm will do a 'Warmbold move' to Matthew anytime soon, leaving him with no money to pursue a mediocre career in the WRC.

I appreciate Malcolm Wilson for sticking to JML after all the time and money he invested in his career. I also think JML is a rough diamond and that shaping into perfect form him is a difficult process. By keeping JML, who is a naturally gifted driver, I think Malcolm Wilson overcomes his own complex of being a driver who achieved his rallying skills through sweat & tears.

But Malcolm can hardly overcome the lack of honesty that Petter Solberg may have proved by leaving the team back in 2000. You all heard MW swearing like a blue-collar, when JML pulled a brainless one at the final SSS in Poland a couple of months ago. For sure, MW is a hard-headed medium educated individual and he probably lacks the compromise skills. MW would be a terrible politician for that matter. But he's good at what he does in the WRC.

Tomi
7th August 2009, 12:00
D) Petter Solberg. There is still the word that Petter has difficulties to get on Ford due to old times when Petter ditched Malcolm's team. This guy will never forget. It fits well to his psychological profile as proud and stubborn person who just can't change attitudes.

There might be also the possibilty that Wilson dont see any point to invest in a guy who only have 1-2 reasonable driving years left.

SubaruNorway
7th August 2009, 12:05
There might be also the possibilty that Wilson dont see any point to invest in a guy who only have 1-2 reasonable driving years left.

Petter is only 35 so he's definitely got a good 5-10 years left in him. Wasen't Sainz around 45 when he retired?

Tomi
7th August 2009, 12:38
Petter is only 35 so he's definitely got a good 5-10 years left in him. Wasen't Sainz around 45 when he retired?

Well if you look at staststic, you can easily find out when the best driving years is, having a driver hanging around just for show is sad and pathetic.
Take for instance Stig Blomqist, if he would have undrstood to stop in time maybe Sweden would have today some reasonable rally driver, the sponsor money is limited in rally, thats why drivers just there to show they are still a live is not really good for the sport.

P.S. Compairing the great Carlos Sainz "El Matador" with Petter Solberg is also kind of insult to Sainz, who is 1 of the greatest all time.

Brother John
7th August 2009, 12:50
This guy seems to be very persistent but in negative way. I would think that stubborn is the right word. He can't react wisely when he has strong preorientation. There is many examples.

Then he ´s just like me! :p : Maybe he´s the perfect teamleader. ;)

Mihai
7th August 2009, 13:01

It doesn't make much sense. Henning is well beyond those reasonable driving years and he's still driving for Stobart. :p

Peter isn't trying to get in the Ford factory team, but in a privateer/semi-works seat for Rally GB '09.

Tomi
7th August 2009, 13:06
It doesn't make much sense. Henning is well beyond those reasonable driving years and he's still driving for Stobart. :p

Peter isn't trying to get in the Ford factory team, but in a privateer/semi-works seat for Rally GB '09.

lol, henning yes, no comment. What is it Petter want? Standing in the limelight or a Ford, if he want a competitive Ford its just to put the hand a little deeper in the pocket and the car is his, very easy. :)

JFL
7th August 2009, 14:10
only works driver gets the latest specs (FIA rules) So I guess he have to dig really deep, and Buy FIA to change that..

DonJippo
7th August 2009, 14:32
only works driver gets the latest specs (FIA rules) So I guess he have to dig really deep, and Buy FIA to change that..

Where in the rules it says this?

Miika
7th August 2009, 14:38
I knew from the title this thread would offer some good old entertainment. And yes, it surely did. Continue.

seb_sh
7th August 2009, 22:48
AFAIK Matthew Wilson is sponsored by Stobart so if M-Sport is payed to prepare a car for him I don't see a problem even if he's slow. At least he doesn't crash every other rally like Rautenbach.

As for sticking with JML he did invest much in him and he is (was?) Gronholm's protege and he has shown some speed. He does crash a lot and makes stupid mistakes but he might still come around and become a good driver. If there were still 3 car teams and more manufacturers involved it wouldn't be that bad to keep him in the team but because there are only 4 works drives available all his errors are costly and obvious.

I don't want to defend MW his son or JML, sure Petter should have a competitive car but it's also the fault of FIA/ISC bad management of WRC that there are so few top seats available.

Buzz Lightyear
8th August 2009, 10:39
Stobart are putting in very little money to Matthew program i'd guess, and Matthews car is build from the spare parts lucky bin, and the logistical cost of carting 'another car' around on the WRC scene is relatively insignficant.

The problem I see for Malcolm, and I have said it before, is how to get Matthew OUT of WRC quietly. Maybe Matthew is giving him a good excuse, as he appears to be better on a push bike than a rally car. Malcolm might sell him to Team Astana for next years TdF!

I know Ford Motor Company are not a British team, but its as good as the country is going to get. So why a British team, with BP as one of the biggest companies in the World, demand that they don't even try a British driver, is quiet astonding. Blood is thicker than water and all that, but it MW thats beginning to look stupid for not ever considering a top British driver spearhead their Super 2000 project.

Is in direct contrast to Citroen, which purely exisits to promote a French Company, in France, with French sponsors, supporting a French Driver, while all the time, sourcing helping and training the next a replacement French driver for when Loeb retires.

I'd say MW is also relieved that Ford have committed for next 2years already, as now he does not have to take a 'logical' decision to relegate JML to third driver status, and employ a steady hand like Petter. Wheather you like it or not, Petter could easy have scored as many points as Dani Sordo in a WRC Ford, and Ford would be leading the Manufacturers.

Apparently there is this grudge match between MW and PS. We'll from what I gather Solberg's family re-mortaged the farm to invest in Petter, and MW was unwilling to give him a contract, and PS left to go to Subaru to become World Rally Champion, and become a multi-millionaire.... So, without knowing all the facts, I think Petter got one over Malcolm on that one.

People talk about MW not wanting to let go of JML to go to another team. Well, I think that is just balls. I could never see JML with Citroen, while Seb and Dani are available. It's more about the budget that JML has bought to the team till now, maybe close to €10m over the years. Even if he was'nt bringing any dosh next year, it's still cheaper than employing Solberg for a year or two, or trying to poach Dani Sordo, who would be €1m men now.

My diagnosis of MW is that;

1) Every decision is money motovated
2) He holds grudges, sometimes to the detriment of the team

Tomi
8th August 2009, 11:23
I dont really see whats the problem in matthew wilson driving a stobart, somebody is paying his ride, its not away from any other driver. That there is no brittsh driver in wrc is offcourse not so good, but from where to find one who actually can drive is a problem.

Hartusvuori
8th August 2009, 12:57
That there is no brittsh driver in wrc is offcourse not so good, but from where to find one who actually can drive is a problem.

Kris Meeke?

JFL
8th August 2009, 13:08
Petter has told Norwegian media several times that, he don't need a sallery to drive in a M1 team.. So I don't see what expences he would be? He probably bring in some sponsors to help them further...

Tomi
8th August 2009, 13:18
Kris Meeke?

dont know really, in my opinion he has never showed anything in a wrc car in a wrc event, in small cars he is a reasonable driver.

Buzz Lightyear
8th August 2009, 13:25
dont know really, in my opinion he has never showed anything in a wrc car in a wrc event, in small cars he is a reasonable driver.

Your fulla sh11te tomi. He has had 1/100th of the experince of JML in WRC cars, and in his one and only event in WRC beating Colin McRae, and laying 7th o/a, so dont talk bollocks.

The 2 finnish drivers now have 13 years of driving WRC cars between them, and still cant win a title.

Tomi
8th August 2009, 13:48
Your fulla sh11te tomi. He has had 1/100th of the experince of JML in WRC cars, and in his one and only event in WRC beating Colin McRae, and laying 7th o/a, so dont talk bollocks.

The 2 finnish drivers now have 13 years of driving WRC cars between them, and still cant win a title.

well finishing 7 in a wrc event is nothing stunning or unic. Rantanen for instance finnised quite high in his first WRC rally in a WRC car and 5:th in his second out, still i dont think he should be one of the first that shoud get a ride in WRC.

cali
8th August 2009, 14:15
well finishing 7 in a wrc event is nothing stunning or unic. Rantanen for instance finnised quite high in his first WRC rally in a WRC car and 5:th in his second out, still i dont think he should be one of the first that shoud get a ride in WRC.
Compared to Rantanen, Meeke is very fast, good on tarmac and very spectacular ... his only problem is that he is not a finn ;)

Tomi
8th August 2009, 14:50
Compared to Rantanen, Meeke is very fast, good on tarmac and very spectacular ... his only problem is that he is not a finn ;)

Or maybe his problem is that he cant find people that belive in his chanses who would be intersted to invest in him.
Jouhki checked him out, but did not see potential.

Buzz Lightyear
8th August 2009, 15:20
Or maybe his problem is that he cant find people that belive in his chanses who would be intersted to invest in him.
Jouhki checked him out, but did not see potential.

The fact that Jouhki may have checked him out is great, but maybe it was would have caused too much uprising amongst the natives! Jouhki has made it clear that JML has been his last, and most expensive investment, and than has been the case for some years now. Still it remains, that there is someone in UK that shows a lot more potential than Matt, and could even win rallies or get on the podium on merit, and is ignored by the British team. This would never be the case if Ford WRC Team was run like Citroen... i.e the exist to win, not make money

MJW
8th August 2009, 15:26
Whilst Joukhi has undoubtedly found talent in Kankkunen, Tommi Makinen, Miko and JML, I can help but think Gardemeister has had too many chances, compared to say drivers from other nations, e.g. PG, sure he had that 3rd place in the SEAT in NZ but how many works teams has he driven in, Mitsu, Skoda, stints in Grifone 206, Xsara, etc etc, maybe he should stay in Group F BMWM3

Buzz Lightyear
8th August 2009, 15:30

The standard of WRC is much much less than even 3 years ago. If you check the different to leader, Meeke was much closer than Rantanen. In addition Rantanen wouldnt know what to do with an asphalt road.

Rallyper
8th August 2009, 15:32
MW never invest money in drivers. He only collect money from their sponsors. The biggest invester may be Jouhki, but he even never does anything without getting more back. Believe me.

If MW would become an invester he should have pulled out Malcolm and put in a third works car (full spec) and let Petter do that car for the rest of 2009.

Mihai
8th August 2009, 16:01
.... in his one and only event in WRC beating Colin McRae, and laying 7th o/a....

In that particular event (the tragic Rally GB 2005), Meeke finished 9th, missing out on a WRC point for 1.2 secs. Actually statistics are not in his favour: Meeke had a shot at the J-WRC crown with full programme from 2003 to 2006 (that's 4 years), but never got closer than 3rd overall in the end. The fact that he was trashed by team-mate Dani Sordo in the 2005 J-WRC dropped him out of contention for a seat in the big league.

He may be flying in this year's IRC, but let's not forget that the IRC is not on par with the WRC in terms of driver skills and manufacturer involvement.

Tomi
8th August 2009, 16:44
Whilst Joukhi has undoubtedly found talent in Kankkunen, Tommi Makinen, Miko and JML, I can help but think Gardemeister has had too many chances, compared to say drivers from other nations, e.g. PG, sure he had that 3rd place in the SEAT in NZ but how many works teams has he driven in, Mitsu, Skoda, stints in Grifone 206, Xsara, etc etc, maybe he should stay in Group F BMWM3

Dont know about that, a managers job is to find work for his clients, and I think he has done a good job.
Wonder how many brittsh drivers have understood to approace Kimi's (Räikkönen) manager I think his name is Robertson, he is brittsh and seem to like proper rally quite alot, was here in 1000 lakes now 3rd or 4th time.

cali
8th August 2009, 17:16
He may be flying in this year's IRC, but let's not forget that the IRC is not on par with the WRC in terms of driver skills and manufacturer involvement.

I'm not so sure about IRC. Believe me, driver skills are there and besides, how many fast drivers are left in WRC? Both works team drivers and Petter? The rest of the field is pretty much guys with big pockets

alexlake
8th August 2009, 17:34
Stobart are putting in very little money to Matthew program i'd guess, and Matthews car is build from the spare parts lucky bin
I like that image, the Stobart boys waiting outside the Ford lorry sifting through a pile of broken crap! :p :

Buzz Lightyear
9th August 2009, 12:01
Dont know about that, a managers job is to find work for his clients, and I think he has done a good job.
Wonder how many brittsh drivers have understood to approace Kimi's (Räikkönen) manager I think his name is Robertson, he is brittsh and seem to like proper rally quite alot, was here in 1000 lakes now 3rd or 4th time.

Robertson is a manager, not an investor. It's not hard to 'manage' how to take €20m off Ferrari.

Tomi
9th August 2009, 12:08
Robertson is a manager, not an investor. It's not hard to 'manage' how to take €20m off Ferrari.

as usual, you dont know anything what you talk about, in the beginning of kimi's carreer they invested big amounts.

Buzz Lightyear
9th August 2009, 12:10
as usual, you dont know anything what you talk about, in the beginning of kimi's carreer they invested big amounts.

Robertson's father maybe, but not his son, who now 'looks after' him. Your the one who called him a 'manager', not me.

OldF
9th August 2009, 13:35
In addition Rantanen wouldnt know what to do with an asphalt road.

Matti Rantanen won his class in his first tarmac rally.

http://www.tynecomp.co.uk/Results/MSA_british_09/JimClark/1/current.html

koko0703
9th August 2009, 14:23
I can somewhat understand Malcom on Matthew Wilson and JML. Before he's his driver, Matthew is his son and I would say a father trying his best for his son is quite common sense. Also on JML, it's really a dilemma. If JML has driven more consistently this year, Ford would've taken the manu title, and for that "if', Ford and Malcom can blame JML. On the other hand, if they let JML walk away now, JML can be a bit threat to Ford. I've never imagined today's Mikko back in 2004 when he drove for Subaru. Mikko was inconsistent and slow, but JML has at least speed now so couple years down the line? You never know...

On the other hand, about Petter, if Malcom is still dragging his unpleasant memory from 2000, I would say just get over with it and do what's good for the team now.

BDunnell
9th August 2009, 20:54
I continue to find the presence of Matthew Wilson in the WRC unacceptable, frankly. Yes, it's up to his father to have him in the team if he wants, and it is natural for a father to want the best for his son, but I don't think a top team in a world motorsport championship is the right place for that wish to be pursued. It is clear that Matthew is never going to be a top-line driver. It would be far better for the sport if his father were to divert the funds elsewhere and give the car to another, better, driver who might make progress to the top — someone who, you never know, could be the Latvala replacement that some feel Ford needs. This is surely a better use of car and money than a misguided and futile attempt to make a family member into a WRC winner.

Buzz Lightyear
9th August 2009, 23:38
Matti Rantanen won his class in his first tarmac rally.

http://www.tynecomp.co.uk/Results/MSA_british_09/JimClark/1/current.html

Sorry, I don't rate him. Finishing on-top of any class in BRC these days is nothing to shout about.

Tomi
9th August 2009, 23:49
Sorry, I don't rate him. Finishing on-top of any class in BRC these days is nothing to shout about.

agree, about the same as irish tarmac champions.

Buzz Lightyear
10th August 2009, 00:07
agree, about the same as irish tarmac champions.

true.

jonkka
10th August 2009, 16:13
Where in the rules it says this?

He refers to these sections from FIA regs:

7.2.7 A Manufacturer may enter only cars corresponding to the very latest homologated version of a World Rally Car and that will be in conformity with the 2009 Appendix J.
7.2.8 A Manufacturer Team cannot enter World Rally Cars homologated during the year 2009 and cannot use parts homologated after 2 January 2009.

DonJippo
10th August 2009, 16:56
He refers to these sections from FIA regs:

7.2.7 A Manufacturer may enter only cars corresponding to the very latest homologated version of a World Rally Car and that will be in conformity with the 2009 Appendix J.
7.2.8 A Manufacturer Team cannot enter World Rally Cars homologated during the year 2009 and cannot use parts homologated after 2 January 2009.

Yes I know these sections but as you may have also noticed it neither one of these says you have to be works driver to get latest specs car. If any manufacturer will give their latest versions to any driver outside of their team is not likely to happen but to say it's forbidden in rules is wrong IMO.

tmx
11th August 2009, 04:42

The Xsara stints were with a private team, Astra Racing, and he did decent results with the car. Funny that at the time, he got the whale on the podium, but not the Xsara. Other teams like Mitsu, Skoda, SEAT and Suzuki were all at the time I considered not on top of the game and doesn't have a car to compete with the lead teams.

Toni only drove one full season for Ford, Latvala has done 2 and a half. On the second season when Latvala drove a full factory Ford, he scored 58 points and was 4th place in driver championship. On the single full season Toni scored 58 points and was 4th in the championship. Not to mention there are slightly more competition in 2005. Toni could have better results the next season, maybe as a second driver. But by the end of 2006 season Mikko already has proven himself.

Camelopard
11th August 2009, 12:15
Not that MW will stay awake at night mulling over what we think of him, but I'll add my 2 cents worth.

I'd say that he is a very good businessman, to get the Ford contract and take it way up north in England away from their secure bolthole in Essex was pretty good. To build up what he has over the last 20 years is quite impressive, Dovenby Hall ain't no corner garage/back street operation!

There were a lot of other tuners in the UK doing Ford stuff that could have got the contract, (RED, Spooner etc, not forgetting teams in Europe like RAS). He has given Ford a couple of World Championships against arguably the best driver the sport has ever seen and a team and car built specifically around that one driver.

As for his relationship with his son, I'm sure that MW (as others did) saw a lot of promise in him as a youngster, he was after all very good in UK events (at age what 18?) until his major accident. Sure he hasn't lived up to that promise and MW has a very hard decision to make. For all any of us know MW might have said I'll give you the chance for 'x' years then you are on your own, or there may even be a job at M-Sport in the pipeline, doesn't he work there already?

sal
11th August 2009, 12:59
I wonder if Cesare Fiorio would have got as much stick for giving his son a Lancia seat if net forums had been around in the late 80s...

A.F.F.
11th August 2009, 21:36
Did Alessandro have a five year plan btw. ? :)

JFL
11th August 2009, 22:06
In the universe they have another era! :)

janvanvurpa
12th August 2009, 03:20
I wonder if Cesare Fiorio would have got as much stick for giving his son a Lancia seat if net forums had been around in the late 80s...

Come on Fiorio fils had actually done some events and was given, as you must certainly recall, a GpN car.
Of course it was nepotism, by Fiorio fils vindicate Fiorio pere's expectations and went on to do quite good.

Wilson's patronage of his kid is a whole different level by far of rotten and waste.

Somebody knows not the word shame.

Daniel
12th August 2009, 09:01
Alex was a bit of a playboy too as I recall ;) I seem to remember Alex doing alright at Rally Oz when I saw him :)

J4MIE
12th August 2009, 12:11
I am not sure about Wilson, he made team orders come into play to help McRae but then didn't seem to give Marcus that advantage :s

Whinlatter
12th August 2009, 12:33
I'd say that he is a very good businessman, to get the Ford contract and take it way up north in England away from their secure bolthole in Essex was pretty good. To build up what he has over the last 20 years is quite impressive, Dovenby Hall ain't no corner garage/back street operation!

This is a very good point - someone else mentioned Malcolm's pride - I would agree that he is a proud man, and not without good reason. Getting the Ford WRC team to his home county of Cumbria (for whom he is an ambassador) is an almost unbelievable achievement. If you live outside England maybe you don't appreciate how London-centric the country can be, how difficult it is to build a successful business that isn't within an hour or two of Heathrow or Gatwick.

On the subject of Matthew, I don't see many drivers that he is keeping out of a seat, other than the much missed Atkinson. In his first year he was out of his depth, now he is a steady points scorer and certainly better than the likes of Al-Qassimi, Rautenbach and Villagra. If you wanted someone like McRae or Vatanen who would be lightning fast but return a lot of destroyed cars, then you might say that Novikov or someone would be better, but Malcolm already has Latvala in that mould so he has got Matt to drive for finishes and experience.

For me, this should have been the year that Matt was told to drive flat out and to hell with the finishes, which would allow us to see whether he has what it takes to hold down a works seat on ability - because he should be beating the likes of Henning out of sight and aiming for a regular 5th or 6th place from the start of every rally, rather than 8th-10th at first and moving up the order as others retire.

A.F.F.
12th August 2009, 21:55
I am not sure about Wilson, he made team orders come into play to help McRae but then didn't seem to give Marcus that advantage :s

Nor Mikko.

Then again, both of them refused to play the game like that. At least Mikko did.

WRCS14
12th August 2009, 22:07
I think Malcolm has done very well with his WRC outfit and made it very profitable. He has been succesful in bringing a number of privateer teams to do full WRC campaigns parralell to his factory cars. First with Warmbold and then with Munchis, Expert and Stobart cars. No other team has really done this round after round. Im sure this must help overall as I am sure it is not cheap to have M Sport doing logistics for your car/team for the full season.

Matthew could be there for a number of reasons, who know the deal with Stobart. I do feel there are plenty of drivers that could do better but this is the situation we have and it probably wont change for quite some time.

I see Matthew also was testing the new Fiesta junior car in a rally in Ireland on Sunday and rolled it end over end one of the last stages :eek: I am sure he will find some one to repair the car quite easily.

I still hope for a Ford driver to take the drivers title as I tend to support the underdog and this is what I believe Mikko is compared to Citroen/Loeb. No disrespect to him but aside from the last few rallies which have been out of the ordinary I think normal service may now be about to resume :(

driveace
13th August 2009, 20:11
I agree with the views of WRCS 14,that Malcolm has basically done a good job
I think Mathews success in WRC has been maybe better than Malcolms own WRC results.Malcolm had I believe more success in the British events that he took part in.I can still remember malcolms 1at RAC in an orange Mark 1 Escort with dad Kens scrao yard name MK Wilson on the side.
I have seviced for Malcolm in his Mark 2 days,with Davie Nelson!
Where is he now?

A.F.F.
13th August 2009, 21:51
For me, this should have been the year that Matt was told to drive flat out and to hell with the finishes, which would allow us to see whether he has what it takes to hold down a works seat on ability - because he should be beating the likes of Henning out of sight and aiming for a regular 5th or 6th place from the start of every rally, rather than 8th-10th at first and moving up the order as others retire.

I couldn't agree more. We all know by now how consistent Matthew can be. In fact, we all knew a couple of years ago that. Now he should freely step on it and show if there's any rage in his driving.