PDA

View Full Version : Advice of HD televisions (serious comments please)

Valve Bounce
7th August 2009, 10:03
I am looking forward to replacing my 20 years' old TV with a new flat screen HD TV. I understand they now come with set top box function in the TV. But what else is there new? do any of them record or permit delay viewing functions? I need advice particularly on which brands to avoid, because of price or just poor quality.

I know very little about the new TV's, and I am appealing to members here to give me advice on what to get and where to get them. My new TV must measure less than 33 inches wide to fit into the hand carved Rosewood cabinet which I am not willing to part with.

Also. COSTCO is about to open in Melbourne on 17th of this month so I am looking for a good price in town.

Thanks!

Brown, Jon Brow
7th August 2009, 11:58
Are the integrated digital TV's integrated with HD digital? Even if the TV says it's HD you usually have to buy a separate HD set-top box.

GridGirl
7th August 2009, 13:24
My first HD television was a Sony Bravia which after about 12 months developed a number lines down the screen. I called on the insurance who sent someone out to have a look who then said it would cost too much to fix and took it away there and then even though it was watchable. I was left without a television for 5 week while I waited for the shop to send me a voucher so I could get another. I then spent my £1500 voucher on a Samsung HD televison which after 18 months also broke last week so yet again I have no television. This time it just went off and makes a weird buzzing and clicking noise. The insurance sent another man out the other day and told me something about it being a common fault on my model but seeing as the tv doesnt actually work they actually left it this time.

In short....dont ask me about HD televisons. :p

markabilly
7th August 2009, 14:21
Just for you only, I bother and for no one else

check it all out here, more information than you need:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/

airshifter
8th August 2009, 00:40
Just for you only, I bother and for no one else

check it all out here, more information than you need:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/

I'd like to reinforce this comment, as that is an excellent forum. I used it to research purchases before buying some home theater gear, and ended up getting great value in my purchases.

Valve,

One thing I would do before looking any further is consider the sizes that will fit in your current stand. We had a similar situation when we went to a flat panel big screen, and found that unless we did something about the stand we would have ended up with a smaller vertical picture size.

Due to the fact that almost everything made is now in the wide format, any older stands simply won't leave you much room to work with. What you would end up with would most likely fall in the 30-32" range.

Valve Bounce
8th August 2009, 03:00
Yep!! and because the cupboard is hand carved Rosewood, and the old guy who made them probably now no longer in the trade, I will have to make sure whatever I buy will fit into the 33" wide cupboard. So I will be going looking tomorrow with a tape measure.

What brands do you fancy, and which would you avoid?

markabilly
8th August 2009, 05:30
Yep!! and because the cupboard is hand carved Rosewood, and the old guy who made them probably now no longer in the trade, I will have to make sure whatever I buy will fit into the 33" wide cupboard. So I will be going looking tomorrow with a tape measure.

What brands do you fancy, and which would you avoid?
Consider hanging on the wall....and using the cabinent for something else.frankly at 30 inches or so, the HD is not that big of a deal and you can buy a 720 p and save,

THree years ago Sony LCD was by far the best when it came to skin colors and overall performance and plasmas were way higher and heavy and hot, but now not true although you need a darker room for plasma.

but the latest samsung plasma will blow away the LCD with colors and depth of image and overall natural appearance with an image like thr older and great crt, even the 240 hz led LCD can not compete at double the price, and as you go up in size the square inch price goes down

Panasonic was considdered number 2 behind pioneer, but now the latest models of sammie are rated higher

And on this forum you will find some great dealers who will make you some excellent deals. The sammi we bought cost us $1100 less through amazon when they had one of their specials compared to costco

Jag_Warrior
8th August 2009, 06:48
I was curious so I put a tape on the 32" diag. Samsung I just bought recently. It's 31.5" wide. 32" is a common, standard diagonal size, so I assume most of them are about the same width.

I got frustrated looking at and comparing TV's when I decided I wanted one for the bedroom. I like to shop for cars, but I can't do the electronics thing these days. A gal-pal of mine keeps up with what's hot & what's not in electronics, so I turned it over to her. I set a $1K max price and let her run with it. We ended up going to Best Buy and getting a Samsung 32" 1080 that happened to be on sale that weekend. It started out as $799 and I think I got it for $650 something. I even let them sign me up for a credit card and I financed the thing for 18 months at 0% interest. Let me use your money for free for 18 months? Uh, OK.

That looks like a really good site that Markabilly linked. The models might be different where you live. But I've heard good things about LG, Samsung and most Sony models. I've heard some bad things about Vizio(?), but I don't know. What pissed me off was I'd read about a model one week, only to find out it had been discontinued and "upgraded" to another model the next week. :rolleyes:

Robinho
8th August 2009, 10:18
similar forum no doubt, but UK based http://www.avforums.com/ also very good, i've recently made the plunge after a good bit of research.

my tips are 32" widescreen is enough if viewing distances are less than about 6 - 8', anything over that well worth considering a 37" or larger.

the smaller sizes (32") you'll do well to find more than a couple of plasma's, the LCD market seems to have taken over that size range.

make sure if you go for LCD get a full HD 1080p reolution and preferabley 100hz (min, some are doing 200 - 600hz processing now)

if your budget is no real issue then i'd reccomend the new breed of Sony and Samsung LED backlit LCD's - their clarity is unreal from what i've seen.

Panasonic also a premium brand, whilt LG and Toshiba certainly make some highly rated stuff now too (avoid any brands you've never heard of peddled by supermarkets and the like)

most have in built freeview digital tuners, but you'll need an external supply for HD in most cases (sattelite or cable package), although panasonic do some Freesat enabled TV's which have HD channels, although i don't know what is available outside of the UK in terms of HD packages.

to get the best out of the package you'll want a blu-ray player (PS3 or just a player) which will upscale your normal DVD's and will blow you away on actual Blu-ray discs.

suggest you check out a few in the shops to gauge your preferences - some prefer the sharpness of LCD's, some the softness and depth of picture from plasma.

finally must consider the piture quality in standard definition, which most of your telly viewing will probably still be, as some of the larger panel HD models seem to look amazing in HD but a bit rubbish on standard def. some upscale the picture and make a decent job of improving the quality.

also think about your viewing angles, the LCD tellys lose a lot as you move away from the straight ahead, some are better than others, and if you'll be doing your viewing from mostly in front then you'll be fine.

for what its worth i've just bought a Toshiba 37RV555DB and cannot reccomend it highly enough, great telly - the new models of which (rv635db) are not as highly specced (no 100hz)

Mark
8th August 2009, 11:37
You can get built in HD recievers I have freesat HD in mine but you only get BBC HD and ITV HD of course only in the uk. To find out which ones fit then just go to the shop armed with a tape measure.

Sound is also important and impossible to judge in the shop. My Panasonic is excellent but my Mum's Samsung sounds very tinny despite it being a bigger TV.

Also get 1080p not 720p.

Valve Bounce
8th August 2009, 13:45
The 32" seems the only option as the cabinet cannot make way for anything else in my apartment, as I have twin cabinets.

I am going into some shops to see what is available - HD is a must in the coming months.

Mark in Oshawa
8th August 2009, 15:00
LG is what My dad has, my mom-in-law has a Samsung. Both are LCD and both are about the same size (41 inch I believe). I will give the nod to the Samsung. You get what you pay for in HD TV's, and don't heistate to spend a couple of extra dollars for the better model from any manufacturer. There does seem to be a difference.

I don't have a flat screen, but on holidays stayed in a B and B which had a Vizio flat screen...and the cheap price was obvious in the picture.

Dave B
8th August 2009, 15:08
The only advice I'd give, as I don't know the Australian market, is to ensure you buy it from a retailer who will let you return it if you're not satisfied once you've installed it and set it up. Sometimes what looks perfect in a showroom looks decidedly odd at home.

Do you download much content? If so it might be worth looking for a set with an SD slot or a USB port - my LG plasma has a 1TB drive connected to it with all my (legal :erm: ) DivX files.

pino
8th August 2009, 21:02
I have a Sony Bravia 46" KDL W 3500 Full HD, it works perfect and I am very satisfied about it :D

race_director
9th August 2009, 02:55
I bought a 107cm samsung plasma along with a Sony home theather system .

The TV i mouted in the wall in the HALL . the TV is working very well no problem . Well i cannot copy or store anything on TV directly . but i can record shows what i want on the sony system into a DVD. but the only problem is that one has to be present at the time to record the show . not pre schedule allowed :(

race_director
9th August 2009, 02:56
The only advice I'd give, as I don't know the Australian market, is to ensure you buy it from a retailer who will let you return it if you're not satisfied once you've installed it and set it up. Sometimes what looks perfect in a showroom looks decidedly odd at home.

Do you download much content? If so it might be worth looking for a set with an SD slot or a USB port - my LG plasma has a 1TB drive connected to it with all my (legal :erm: ) DivX files.

wow never though about it . just checked i have a USB slot .

Valve Bounce
9th August 2009, 06:17
OK!! I've done some homework here, and this appears to be the best deal in town: http://www.digitalcentre.com.au/p/859208/samsung-la32b650-lcd-tv-full-hd-1080p.html

Any comments?

race_director
9th August 2009, 06:39
OK!! I've done some homework here, and this appears to be the best deal in town: http://www.digitalcentre.com.au/p/859208/samsung-la32b650-lcd-tv-full-hd-1080p.html

Any comments?

valve

i searched the same in my country its priced at around RS 35k i.e is around $700.

i wanted to know the site ur showing is it in amrican dollars or ur local currency . if its local currency with would like to know it value in american dollars

i do not know last year i bought my 107cm samsung plasma for around RS 55k that is around 1100 $
on a second thought . we can ship it directly from some retailer in taiwan at half the price we pay at the our countries. but we cannot enjoy the terms and conditions of repair and replace . which will make it meaningless :(

Valve Bounce
9th August 2009, 06:46
valve

i searched the same in my country its priced at around RS 35k i.e is around $700.

i wanted to know the site ur showing is it in amrican dollars or ur local currency . if its local currency with would like to know it value in american dollars

i do not know last year i bought my 107cm samsung plasma for around RS 55k that is around 1100 $
on a second thought . we can ship it directly from some retailer in taiwan at half the price we pay at the our countries. but we cannot enjoy the terms and conditions of repair and replace . which will make it meaningless :(

The shop is in Melbourne,and the price is around $400 less than anywhere else here. I will be waiting till Costco opens in 8 days time to see whether they have the same item and at what price.

Robinho
9th August 2009, 07:08
thats e pretty good one, i was looking at the B650 model myself but i couldn't afford the 37" model i wanted - they are one oft he beter looking units as well i think.

its got all the spec you want and the samsungs are pretty highly rated at the moment.

looks like you get HDMI cable thrown in too which is good - if you need any more be careful not to get stung for those - worth getting a decent quality one as some cheaper ones simply don't work for long, but some high street stores will try to sell you high spec ones for £50+ in the uk when you need not spend over £10 for a decent one

Firstgear
10th August 2009, 18:50
The shop is in Melbourne,and the price is around $400 less than anywhere else here. I will be waiting till Costco opens in 8 days time to see whether they have the same item and at what price.
My brother bought a LCD TV from Costco about a year ago. The price wasn't any cheaper (about the same) than other places he shopped around at, but his purchase included 2x the length of the manufacturers warranty.

I was considering a new TV a while back and found the bestbuy web site helpful. They list the specs on the TV's including dimensions (I have a similar cabinet issue) so I could see right away which ones would or wouldn't fit. Also, many of the TV's had customer reviews listed.

Valve Bounce
11th August 2009, 00:36
My brother bought a LCD TV from Costco about a year ago. The price wasn't any cheaper (about the same) than other places he shopped around at, but his purchase included 2x the length of the manufacturers warranty.

I was considering a new TV a while back and found the bestbuy web site helpful. They list the specs on the TV's including dimensions (I have a similar cabinet issue) so I could see right away which ones would or wouldn't fit. Also, many of the TV's had customer reviews listed.

I will be checking prices of cables as well as TV's. I understand Costco opens next Monday and may have a grand opening sale. I can wait till then to check prices of TV's as well as many other goods. No hurry as my 20 years' old Sony is still working OK. I'm not desperate. Went to one store in town on Sunday and was lambasted with heaps of sales talk and "must have" cables and power boards to go with the TV, all with prices higher than Digital World.

I am more concerned with Samsung's downward splash sound from slightly within the cabinet. Since Samsung makes most of the guts for the Sony, I will be checking on the equivalent Sony LCD which has the speakers facing forwards.

veeten
14th August 2009, 18:35
(whispers)... Hey, I know someone with a 'Hot' deal on a LCD TV... ;)

http://www.insidebayarea.com/trivalleyherald/localnews/ci_13032102

:p

Daniel
14th August 2009, 22:11
VB, I'd reccomend a Panasonic or a Samsung.

A lot of Sony's (not all) are just cheap and nasty so I'd steer clear of some of the cheaper Sony TV's because it's not like the good ole days where you bought a Sony and you got a Trinitron tube and you knew it was going to last forever.

I've got a 24" Samsung PC monitor which we use for watching DVD's and TV in the bedroom and it really is excellent and it looks great too.

DonJippo
22nd August 2009, 19:16
VB, I'd reccomend a Panasonic or a Samsung.

I bought couple months back a Panasonic TX-P46G10E and I'm still amazed every time when I watch HD channel or blueray movies about the picture quality, it is just so good :up:

Dave B
22nd August 2009, 22:04
A lot of Sony's (not all) are just cheap and nasty so I'd steer clear of some of the cheaper Sony TV's because it's not like the good ole days where you bought a Sony and you got a Trinitron tube and you knew it was going to last forever.
The day I took my trusty - but dead - 10 year old Sony Trinitron to the recyling centre I cried a little inside. To this day I've not seen a telly with as good a picture.

Daniel
22nd August 2009, 22:11
The day I took my trusty - but dead - 10 year old Sony Trinitron to the recyling centre I cried a little inside. To this day I've not seen a telly with as good a picture.
I saw a 68cm Sony sitting on the sidewalk in London on Tuesday with a sign on it saying "Un-needed but perfectly good Sony TV free" it was on Wigmore street if you're

If I'd had a car with me which I could have put it into I would have. My parents bought a 68cm Sony in about 2005 and it was and still is fan****ingtastic :)

Daniel
22nd August 2009, 22:13
Oh and I also had a 17" Trinitron PC monitor which my boss gave to me for free and it was the best CRT I'd ever used. After that I realised just how crappy 99% of CRT's out there were.

It's sad to think Sony just doesn't make products as class leading as those anymore......