PDA

View Full Version : 'Charlies Angels' Film (2000) - Real Indycars or just school-cars?

Giuseppe F1
6th August 2009, 23:13
Sorry to post such a trivial question here but am hoping you guys here can help me solve a friendly dispute im having with a friend of mine.

Please check out the below clip from 'Charlies Angels' (2000), about 1 minute in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0pfHdGbao4&feature=related

Were these cars 'real' indycars or generic single-seater or school-type cars?

If they were actual cars, is anyone able to I.D the chassis manufacturers, what kinda engines powered these cars, year etc?

Thanks muchly in advance

Giuseppe F1

ykiki
7th August 2009, 00:06
Yikes - almost looks like leftovers from "Driven". :D

Giuseppe F1
7th August 2009, 00:32
:)

NickFalzone
7th August 2009, 02:25
Looks like a converted 2-seater Panoz.

nigelred5
7th August 2009, 02:39
I'm gonna say Hollywood cars. Definitely not real champcars.

Civic
7th August 2009, 03:43
Tube frame "replicas" covered by a fiberglass shell.

EagleEye
7th August 2009, 04:19
Sorry to post such a trivial question here but am hoping you guys here can help me solve a friendly dispute im having with a friend of mine.

Please check out the below clip from 'Charlies Angels' (2000), about 1 minute in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0pfHdGbao4&feature=related

Were these cars 'real' indycars or generic single-seater or school-type cars?

If they were actual cars, is anyone able to I.D the chassis manufacturers, what kinda engines powered these cars, year etc?

Thanks muchly in advance

Giuseppe F1

They used CART Driving 101 school cars, now Andretti Racing School. They added the air scoop to make them look like IRL cars later. Bob Lutz then added the Jeff Gordon Racing School. The Jeff Gordon school is now the NASCAR experience.
http://www.valvoline.com/images/car-care/articles/pht/pht20020701cd/pht20020701cd00.jpg

PA Rick
7th August 2009, 04:42
Wow, the paint schemes really suck.

I'm pretty sure they're 4 bangers and I thought they were Barber Dodges but they seem to be revving like a FF2000 which is I guess what the CART101 cars were. I didn't notice any scoops.

They (the angels) need to be better protected in case of fire.

chuck34
7th August 2009, 12:28

What? Shut your mouth. That's a chance I'm willing to take for the "good" of the audience. ;-)

EagleEye
7th August 2009, 13:55
Wow, the paint schemes really suck.

I'm pretty sure they're 4 bangers and I thought they were Barber Dodges but they seem to be revving like a FF2000 which is I guess what the CART101 cars were. I didn't notice any scoops.

Stock block V-8's. They initially had a four speed, but later changed to a single speed sprint car trans.

garyshell
7th August 2009, 15:44

Can I volunteer for that job? I will be at the ready for the wet tee shirt, err... pit crew suit dousing.

Gary