PDA

View Full Version : Is Political Ideology a bad thing?

Brown, Jon Brow
31st July 2009, 22:48
I think it is.

In this forum every topic usually becomes a slagging match between people believing in either the 'Right' or the 'Left'. It never solves anything and in the end always becomes a bit childish.

In government too, I bet we can find examples of governments making decisions that were based in their parties ideology rather than what was best for the country at that time.

I'm starting to think that just believing in one ideology makes people slightly ignorant and intolerant of people who hold opposite views.

Roamy
31st July 2009, 23:43
I think it is.

In this forum every topic usually becomes a slagging match between people believing in either the 'Right' or the 'Left'. It never solves anything and in the end always becomes a bit childish.

In government too, I bet we can find examples of governments making decisions that were based in their parties ideology rather than what was best for the country at that time.

I'm starting to think that just believing in one ideology makes people slightly ignorant and intolerant of people who hold opposite views.

Hello American Politics
But then again which democratic countries are any different? I think it is the the fault of the two party system. I now think that 3 parties should be mandatory.

airshifter
1st August 2009, 00:46
Political ideology is just as bad as religious ideology. Beyond that the stereoypes associated with both are even worse.

Mark in Oshawa
1st August 2009, 06:38
Hello American Politics
But then again which democratic countries are any different? I think it is the the fault of the two party system. I now think that 3 parties should be mandatory.

We have 3 Major and 2 Fringe parties and it still works the same, except no one party ever gets a majority any more.....

Mark in Oshawa
1st August 2009, 06:42
AS for the subject at hand, political ideology should be a basis of a personal code of conduct or thought one must have before really becoming serious about politics. That said, to be right or left in the face of being wrong is also kind of stupid.

I am right...but have libertarian principles and have many friends on the left here and in reality. There are times when they have a point and I tell them so. It would be nice if I heard it back..but I don't hold my breath.

I think we all have a prism in which we see the world, and it is best if one grounds oneself somehow in some kind of truth when setting it up, but it is inevitable to have one.

You cant have politics without a left/right push and pull, for not everyone can be right all the time, or wrong all the time. Agreeing to make nice and not saying what you really think in the long run is very foolish and counterproductive. A good debate with some sort of consensus is what happens in most systems and that means a choice that has some acceptance on some level to all will be the more popular one.

The ying and yang of politics is neverending, and I find it interesting...

Kneeslider
1st August 2009, 09:39
To slightly misquote Winston Churchill:-

"Democracy isn't perfect, but it's better than all the alternatives" or somesuch. I forget the actual quote, but that was the general idea.

Generally I believe in pragmatism, not idealism.

Mark in Oshawa
1st August 2009, 19:00
To slightly misquote Winston Churchill:-

"Democracy isn't perfect, but it's better than all the alternatives" or somesuch. I forget the actual quote, but that was the general idea.

Generally I believe in pragmatism, not idealism.

Kneeslider..wise. It is however Idealism that fuels people to stick their heads into the lions mouth and become politician. You get that idealism and you harness it pragmatically to be sucessful.