PDA

View Full Version : Hacker loses extradition appeal

steve_spackman
31st July 2009, 17:22
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8177561.stm

Home Secretary Alan Johnson said: "Mr McKinnon is accused of serious crimes and the US has a lawful right to seek his extradition, as we do when we wish to prosecute people who break our laws.

Yet i dont remember the US giving us the IRA terrorists that we asked for..

The way the UK's extradition treaty with the U.S works is that it allows British citizens to be seized on little or no evidence while the criteria for extraditing Americans are far more exacting.

When is this pathetic Labour government going to stop pandering to the paranoid wishes of America? This ruling is a disgrace!

Dave B
31st July 2009, 18:06

Home Secretary Alan Johnson said: "Mr McKinnon is accused of serious crimes and the US has a lawful right to seek his extradition, as we do when we wish to prosecute people who break our laws.
Can't do the time, don't do the crime. This guy knew exactly what he was doing over a protracted period and his defence team are now playing the Asberger's card to make out he's all sweetness and light.

What's more worring are the tabloid-reading thickos who scream "what if he'd launched a missile?!", as if the silos are wired up to the public internet just waiting for a clever hacker to guess the launch code.

Yes it might be nice if extradition worked just as well the other way, but it's a start.

Wade91
31st July 2009, 18:37
who cares what this guy did!? if he had hacked any average person instead of the milatary we wouldn't even know his name becouse he never would have got in any trouble i rember last year when Sahra Palin's e-mail got hacked last year, the republican party was making such a big deal about it, but if somone hacked my e-mail do you think the govorment would even care or try to catch the person? of cource not!

driveace
31st July 2009, 18:48
I have NO problem with this guy being extradited to the US ,He knew what he was doing .Now his mother is pleading with Obama ,to stop the extradition.He knew what the end result could be.Stop whinging and go and face the music!

Wade91
31st July 2009, 18:52
i live in the US, but i doubt anybody would be extradited to this country for hacking my computer :s

Easy Drifter
31st July 2009, 19:14
Most hackers want to hack into commercial or military computers, or at least ones where there is some sign of intelligent life.
Therefore I expect you are safe Wade. :angel:

Daniel
1st August 2009, 09:59
I agree with Dave, can't do the time then don't do the crime! My only thoughts are of course about his disability though, and how this will be dealt with in the US.

Eki
1st August 2009, 13:59
I agree with Dave, can't do the time then don't do the crime! My only thoughts are of course about his disability though, and how this will be dealt with in the US.
Here's what they'll do: They'll lock him up in Guantanamo Bay, waterboard him and pray that God will cure his Asperger's syndrome.

gloomyDAY
1st August 2009, 16:04
Here's what they'll do: They'll lock him up in Guantanamo Bay, waterboard him and pray that God will cure his Asperger's syndrome. :rotflmao:

30 minutes until I go to work and that just made my day.
Eki, you're a nut!

Daniel
1st August 2009, 17:58
Here's what they'll do: They'll lock him up in Guantanamo Bay, waterboard him and pray that God will cure his Asperger's syndrome.
Stop acting like an idiot and people might stop treating you like one.

Eki
1st August 2009, 20:59
:rotflmao:

30 minutes until I go to work and that just made my day.
Eki, you're a nut!
Have a nice day.

Valve Bounce
2nd August 2009, 02:59

Yet i dont remember the US giving us the IRA terrorists that we asked for..

The way the UK's extradition treaty with the U.S works is that it allows British citizens to be seized on little or no evidence while the criteria for extraditing Americans are far more exacting.

When is this pathetic Labour government going to stop pandering to the paranoid wishes of America? This ruling is a disgrace!

Why would you want to keep a hacker in England? You guys must be really hard up for hackers. Do they need him for a new series of SPOOKS?

emporer_k
2nd August 2009, 09:33
He knew what he was doing when he hacked in and presumebly knew he'd be in trouble if he got caught.

However If this were the other way round and an american had hacked into british military computers, I seriously doubt they would be extradited.

steve_spackman
2nd August 2009, 10:28
However If this were the other way round and an american had hacked into british military computers, I seriously doubt they would be extradited.

quote JOSEPH GUTHEINZ, US LAWYER AND EX-NASA CRIMINAL INVESTIGATOR:

In similar cases where Great Britain has tried to extradite an American to Great Britain to stand trial, there is a 20% less chance that that will happen. This is fundamentally unfair.
Gary McKinnon could be tried under British law to stand trial there, it's just that the British courts and the prosecutors... have deemed that not the appropriate response. I would say that's poor thinking on the part of the British government.
Sometimes allies can agree to disagree; sometimes we can advocate for the best interests of our own citizens against the desires of the other country.

Valve Bounce
2nd August 2009, 11:01
quote JOSEPH GUTHEINZ, US LAWYER AND EX-NASA CRIMINAL INVESTIGATOR:

In similar cases where Great Britain has tried to extradite an American to Great Britain to stand trial, there is a 20% less chance that that will happen. This is fundamentally unfair.
Gary McKinnon could be tried under British law to stand trial there, it's just that the British courts and the prosecutors... have deemed that not the appropriate response. I would say that's poor thinking on the part of the British government.
Sometimes allies can agree to disagree; sometimes we can advocate for the best interests of our own citizens against the desires of the other country.

The final of SPOOKS is on tonight.