PDA

View Full Version : what now for BMW.

koppel
29th July 2009, 18:50
Now that BMW are pulling out of F1 will they have any budget for a rally
team. :)

Mirek
29th July 2009, 18:52
Is it just Your wish or is there any sign that they are thinking that way?

I know about X-Raid and WTCC as anoher expensive sporting activities they have...

A.F.F.
29th July 2009, 18:59
Fingers crossed Toyota pulls out from F1 and come to WRC :up:

ProRally
29th July 2009, 19:08
The only way to keep their WTCC program alive.... I doubt if they are interested to do rally.
If Prodrive would run their rally program again as they did with the 'old' M3 , would cost almost same as F1 :D

So WTCC is only thing. X Raid is private team with some help from BMW

Zico
29th July 2009, 20:06
The only way to keep their WTCC program alive.... I doubt if they are interested to do rally.
If Prodrive would run their rally program again as they did with the 'old' M3 , would cost almost same as F1 :D

So WTCC is only thing. X Raid is private team with some help from BMW

The new WTCC regs for 2011 do not include any provision for RWD, so unless they change it BMW may have to look elsewhere..

See http://www.btcc.net/html/generalnews_detail.php?id=1489

Allyc85
29th July 2009, 20:23
They are not WTCC regs they are just for the BTCC at the moment, though if they are a success at keeping costs down then im sure the WTCC will follow :)

Wim_Impreza
29th July 2009, 20:24
]Is it just Your wish or is there any sign that they are thinking that way?

I know about X-Raid and WTCC as anoher expensive sporting activities they have...

Don't forget their World Superbike and Internationale Deutsche Motorradmeisterschaft (IDM) programm. Belgian rider Werner Daemen won the last two races in IDM and BMW has announced that they will compete in World Superbike in 2010 too.

Zico
29th July 2009, 20:33
They are not WTCC regs they are just for the BTCC at the moment, though if they are a success at keeping costs down then im sure the WTCC will follow :)

Ah.. sry, I thought the rule changes affected both.

Woodeye
30th July 2009, 11:26
BMW will focus on the circuit racing. Their plan is to be the leading car maker when it comes to sustainable developement. F1 hardly fits into that picture. Infact racing in overall hardly fits it. Maybe some endurance stuff where you are supposed to go around the world with one litre of gas.

Tomi
30th July 2009, 12:29
BMW will focus on the circuit racing.

And group F, dont forget ;)

Helstar
30th July 2009, 14:24
They stay in F1. :\

Simmi
3rd August 2009, 10:37
I'm hoping BMW will go back to Le Mans personally. They wont get much benefit from rallying from a marketing standpoint at the moment. Their range doesn't really scream 'rally car' to me.

AndyRAC
3rd August 2009, 11:43
I'm hoping BMW will go back to Le Mans personally. They wont get much benefit from rallying from a marketing standpoint at the moment. Their range doesn't really scream 'rally car' to me.

No quite right, I think that's why they've never shown much interest in Rallying, plus the marketing return from WRC is almost nil, despite what Ford & Citroen might say.

Buzz Lightyear
3rd August 2009, 12:02

that is a stong rumour actually

Buzz Lightyear
3rd August 2009, 12:02
No quite right, I think that's why they've never shown much interest in Rallying, plus the marketing return from WRC is almost nil, despite what Ford & Citroen might say.

except in France and Finland

Koppomsbo
3rd August 2009, 14:00
And group F, dont forget ;)

Thats the most important ;)

I hope that they will be back for next year when im going to Rally Finland :roll:

ShiftingGears
3rd August 2009, 14:14
the marketing return from WRC is almost nil, despite what Ford & Citroen might say.

Yep. Could hope for an improvement thanks to some intelligent decision making from Todt in the near future, but that isn't a guarantee.

tmx
3rd August 2009, 14:14
Fingers crossed Toyota pulls out from F1 and come to WRC :up: No I don't think that is going to happen, seems like they are getting more publicity from F1 and has improved in the sport over the year, waiting for their 1st win. But we are getting other manufacturers once S2000 comes along, I think it also depends on how current experienced teams will dominates. Like F1, would be nice to see during the first rally of 2011 to not see Citroen or Ford winning.

JFL
3rd August 2009, 14:19
Did'nt PSA (Peugeot/Citröen) develop a engine together with BMW ? 1600T? Or s2000?

A.F.F.
3rd August 2009, 15:36
No I don't think that is going to happen, seems like they are getting more publicity from F1 and has improved in the sport over the year, waiting for their 1st win. But we are getting other manufacturers once S2000 comes along, I think it also depends on how current experienced teams will dominates. Like F1, would be nice to see during the first rally of 2011 to not see Citroen or Ford winning.

Toyota could run an official rally team a year with the budget of one F1 GP. At least from WRC they got (mostly) good publicity. In F1 they are only the giving hand. But whatever makes them happy... :mark:

ProRally
3rd August 2009, 18:22
Toyota could run an official rally team a year with the budget of one F1 GP. At least from WRC they got (mostly) good publicity. ... :mark:

Unless they catch you with 'special' turbo restrictor.... :D :D

AndyRAC
3rd August 2009, 18:31
Toyota could run an official rally team a year with the budget of one F1 GP. At least from WRC they got (mostly) good publicity. In F1 they are only the giving hand. But whatever makes them happy... :mark:

....but, they can get more publicity in one F1 Grand Prix than in a whole season of WRC, sadly. And that is why they are likely to stay in F1 - it would be nice to see them back in their best environment - rallying!

A.F.F.
3rd August 2009, 18:58
Unless they catch you with 'special' turbo restrictor.... :D :D

That's why I chose to use a word (mostly) ;)

A.F.F.
3rd August 2009, 19:01
....but, they can get more publicity in one F1 Grand Prix than in a whole season of WRC, sadly. And that is why they are likely to stay in F1 - it would be nice to see them back in their best environment - rallying!

I just don't get it. For an avarage consumer publicity taken out of models like Corolla and Celica are much more appealing than F1 publicity. Why won't they drive F1 under Lexus flag and get the proper use of marketing from WRC ?

jonkka
4th August 2009, 06:14
I just don't get it. For an avarage consumer publicity taken out of models like Corolla and Celica are much more appealing than F1 publicity.

Me neither but I think it's the same with both the F1 and football - those are easy to understand and easy for telly. And like Dogbert says, he's sneezed more brain cells than Average Joe uses on election day. Simple fun for simple people.

AndyRAC
4th August 2009, 08:22
I just don't get it. For an avarage consumer publicity taken out of models like Corolla and Celica are much more appealing than F1 publicity. Why won't they drive F1 under Lexus flag and get the proper use of marketing from WRC ?

Probably because they can't see any marketing benefits from the WRC - What would they get out of it?

A.F.F.
4th August 2009, 08:22

AndyRAC
4th August 2009, 08:29
Me neither but I think it's the same with both the F1 and football - those are easy to understand and easy for telly. And like Dogbert says, he's sneezed more brain cells than Average Joe uses on election day. Simple fun for simple people.

I'm afraid it's modern sporting life - simple, easily packaged products at same time every 2/3 weeks, that takes no brains to watch.
WRC/Rallying is different, and should remain so, trying to make it like F1 hasn't worked.
We have to be realisitic - and I don't think some people realise just how far the WRC has sunk - it's no longer attractive to Manufacturers, and expensive for the lack of returns. The warning signs were there 4-5 years ago - and all the FiA did was bring in SupeRally.