PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about cuisine!

gloomyDAY
24th July 2009, 23:40
So, what do you guys like to eat?

I'm good at cooking some Mexican dishes. Traditional ones that I've learned from my mom and I'm just curious as to what other people eat. For example, last night I was at my parent's house and helped my mom make home made tortillas, salsa, grilled steak (carne asada), and grilled chicken (pollo asado).

Also, what do people eat in Nordic/Scandinavian regions? Is it any good?

J4MIE
25th July 2009, 00:07
Also, what do people eat in Nordic/Scandinavian regions? Is it any good?

:laugh:

It tastes as good as it looks :p :

But the strawberries and blueberries are to die for :up: :lips:

Tazio
25th July 2009, 00:14
I make killer pasta sauces Pesto White Clam a Ragu with deli-fresh Sweet Italian Sausage Veal Scaloppini, Chicken Cacciatore, Home-made pasta with Chickpea flower, the true Liguian style. FYI For a Ragu, or Marinara use large pastas like Rigatoni Mostocelli or Penne Try using Spaghetti with your clam sauce, as a substitute to the more traditional Linguine. I highly recommend it.
These recipes have been in my family for generations!

About seven miles off the coast of Sardinia lies the island of San Pietro with its white sandy beaches, its rocky cliffs and its solitary town, Carloforte. Carloforte with its rich and well documented history is not only an enchanting, holiday paradise; it is an anomaly amidst the Sardinian islands.
The town itself was founded in 1738, but its roots reach centuries further.
In 1542, the Lomellini, a noble family of Genoa , and many of their followers left their native Ligurian coast to settle the island of Tabarca off the coast of Tunisia , pursuing coral fishing and trade. Eventually, these “Tabarchini” as they were known, began managing commerce between the African interior and European Markets. After experiencing success on this island, clashes began between the Tabarchini and French expansionists as well as with Barbary pirates.
In 1738, a group of Tabarchini opted to leave the island permanently. They were received by King Carlo Emmanuelle III of Savoy , in the kingdom of Sardinia , who gave them the island of San Pietro to settle. To show their appreciation to King Carlo, the Tabarchini named their new settlement Carloforte (Carlo the strong) in his honor.
Remarkably, to this day, the inhabitants of Carloforte have maintained their Ligurian architecture, culture, customs, traditions and a dialect which is incomprehensible to the surrounding population.
So, what does all of this have to do with my mom...? Flash forward approximately 175 years when a 14 year old girl named Luigia Borgheri emigrates with her family from Carloforte, followed a year later by a young man named Luigi Boccone. Their marriage had been preordained in Carloforte.
My grandparents, now Louis and Louise Boccone married in 1918, settled in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn and two years later little Giovanna Angela came along. Of course, she never went by her given name, instead her parents called her Jennie, a shorter more Americanized version of her name. Five years later on a snowy January morning, Louis and Louise brought home baby brother, Anthony. And so, began the adventure of my mom, Jennie Boccone.

gloomyDAY
25th July 2009, 00:21
Vic, everything you mentioned above made my mouth water.

Pretty cool that you know so much about your family. My family lineage is a little iffy since I don't know whether my last name is derived from France or Spain!

But the strawberries and blueberries are to die for :up: :lips: Oh come on! There's got to be more...

Roamy
25th July 2009, 01:04
New York = Pittsburg Rare
Bottle of Camus Cab

anything else to talk about??????

Oh the asparagus !!

Easy Drifter
25th July 2009, 06:12
Elk, Buffalo, Venison, Moose, Bear.
Once in a while Chorizo sausage.
Walleye.
Good Dim Sum.
Fresh peas.
Corn on the cob done on BBQ or in a fire pit. (a la Road America). And not Peaches and Cream!!!! Real yellow corn.
Shark if cooked right.
Fresh Lobster.
Fresh off the boat crab.
Blackened Catfish.

Roamy
25th July 2009, 07:28
Elk, Buffalo, Venison, Moose, Bear.
Once in a while Chorizo sausage.
Walleye.
Good Dim Sum.
Fresh peas.
Corn on the cob done on BBQ or in a fire pit. (a la Road America). And not Peaches and Cream!!!! Real yellow corn.
Shark if cooked right.
Fresh Lobster.
Fresh off the boat crab.
Blackened Catfish.

where I come from we bury most of this sh!t

raybak
25th July 2009, 09:17
Lamb Roast with gravy and mint sauce, a side of roasted potato's and pumpkin plus some peas.

This is my specialty.

The lamb must be 2 tooth, a bit older with more flavour.

Oh and it must be cooked in a wood fired oven.

Ray

Tazio
25th July 2009, 09:28
Lamb Roast with gravy and mint sauce, a side of roasted potato's and pumpkin plus some peas.

This is my specialty.

The lamb must be 2 tooth, a bit older with more flavour.

Oh and it must be cooked in a wood fired oven.

Raysounds great! do you use a little crushed pineaple in you mint sauce? :beer:

Eki
25th July 2009, 09:58

Just like Haggish?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/4c/HaggisContent_CopyrightKaihsuTai.JPG/800px-HaggisContent_CopyrightKaihsuTai.JPG

Eki
25th July 2009, 10:02
Finland has Berlusconi pizza. It's said to be the best pizza in the world:

http://www.xomba.com/new_pizza_berlusconi_pizza

Here is pizza Berlusconi, made in ... no, not in Italy! Made in Finland by Koti Pizza. Inside this not Berlusconi, the prime minister but delicacy full meal, rye, red onion, mushrooms and… smoked reindeer. And this is the ingredient that makes this pizza Berlusconi special.

Tazio
25th July 2009, 10:59
Finland has Berlusconi pizza. It's said to be the best pizza in the world:

http://www.xomba.com/new_pizza_berlusconi_pizza

That's funny Eki :) It is true that most of Italy’s Prociutto and Parmesan Regiano come from Parma.
Tortellini has its origins in the Emilia area of Italy that includes Modena, and Bologna.
However one of the most highly regarded tortellini forms is stuffed with Prosciutto.
That may be the source of your suspicion! Prosciutto is also used in Tapas cuisine, which I am a big fan of.
There is a Tapas place in San Diego that makes the best "Pulpo a la Plancha." (Marinated and grilled baby octopus!) I'm getting hungry and its only AM 3:00 here :p :

DexDexter
25th July 2009, 12:26
My favourite dish is not very original: A real Italian pizza, with little bit of fresh mozzarella and a sauce made from San Marzano tomatoes and few basil leafs. Ever since I first went to Italy (Sicily to be precise), I've found pizza outside Italy to be just not that good. Even New York was a disappointed, those pizzas always had way too much cheese in them. I've tried to mimic those Italian pizzas at home and I've come pretty close using a pizza stone. :)

BDunnell
25th July 2009, 12:56
I couldn't say which nation or region's cuisine I like the most. There are just so many good dishes originating from each.

Tomi
25th July 2009, 14:52
I prefer fish dishes, the more simple the better, main thing is that its done from high quality ingrediences, and that the tastes are clean, also spicy Asian food is nice.

Easy Drifter
25th July 2009, 15:01
I think fousto's main dish should be crow.

Tazio
25th July 2009, 15:19
My favourite dish is not very original: A real Italian pizza, with little bit of fresh mozzarella and a sauce made from San Marzano tomatoes and few basil leafs. Ever since I first went to Italy (Sicily to be precise), I've found pizza outside Italy to be just not that good. Even New York was a disappointed, those pizzas always had way too much cheese in them. I've tried to mimic those Italian pizzas at home and I've come pretty close using a pizza stone. :) You have good taste in Pizza I think that is a standad Neopolitan Pizza The only real Pizza!It is meat to resemble the Italian Tri-color Red sauce, White cheese Green Basil!
It also is called a Margarita! :up:

Roamy
26th July 2009, 07:14
I think fousto's main dish should be crow.

Well then yours should be Anus

Roamy
26th July 2009, 07:16
Just like Haggish?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/4c/HaggisContent_CopyrightKaihsuTai.JPG/800px-HaggisContent_CopyrightKaihsuTai.JPG

Yea I made one of these for easy drifter right after my morning coffee!! :p

Easy Drifter
26th July 2009, 08:12
Methinks Fousto believes Mickey Dee's is high cuisine.
100% beef.
Hooves, horns, eyeballs and all.

Roamy
26th July 2009, 08:38
well at least 25%

Giuseppe F1
26th July 2009, 11:37
I work in the food biz, on a leading UK chilli sauce brand called 'Encona Sauces', any of the UK members here used it? You can join the new official Facebook group with info, recipe ideas etc, here:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Encona-Sauces-Official-Page/145612045760?ref=s

-

steve_spackman
26th July 2009, 12:27
I work in the food biz, on a leading UK chilli sauce brand called 'Encona Sauces', any of the UK members here used it? You can join the new official Facebook group with info, recipe ideas etc, here:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Encona-Sauces-Official-Page/145612045760?ref=s

-

Thanks for the link..I will check it out next time i log into FB..

steve_spackman
26th July 2009, 12:36
I couldn't say which nation or region's cuisine I like the most. There are just so many good dishes originating from each.

Yes i would have to agree with you there, too many good dishes around from different parts of the world its hard to choose, but cant beat a good old sunday roast dinner.

Would have to say that i would give American cuisine a miss, as im not a fan of Big Macs ha ha ;)

BDunnell
26th July 2009, 12:52
Yes i would have to agree with you there, too many good dishes around from different parts of the world its hard to choose, but cant beat a good old sunday roast dinner.

I love a Sunday roast too, but were I to move outside the UK again, there's no way I'd cook one there! It would just seem wrong, unlike eating the cuisines of other nations overseas. I don't know why.

Would have to say that i would give American cuisine a miss, as im not a fan of Big Macs ha ha ;)

But a proper American-style burger (if there is such a thing!) is a fine piece of food indeed.

steve_spackman
26th July 2009, 13:28
But a proper American-style burger (if there is such a thing!) is a fine piece of food indeed.

Ive had homemade burgers on my travels throughout the US and YES they are very good indeed.

Easy Drifter
26th July 2009, 16:27
We had a thread on Burgers a few months ago.

Drew
26th July 2009, 22:53
Food in Scandanavia? They have sandwiches with only one layer of bread :p :

Storm
27th July 2009, 11:51
Like BDunnel says I love to sample whatever is local whenever I travel..Italian is my favourite though (apart from Indian of course!! there is just so much variety its mind boggling)

As for Scandinavian food? I just know some weird cracker like bread that my sister got me from Stockholm. :rolleyes:

harsha
30th July 2009, 04:09
apart from Indian cuisine,prefer Indianized versions of Chinese,Mexican,Italian,Thai....... :P

Mark in Oshawa
30th July 2009, 05:00
Canadian cuisine? Other than the wild game Drifter described, I suspect our most unique cultural food is Poutine, which is fries with gravy and Cheese curds and sometimes a meat added. That, and the always tasty Montreal Smoked meat sandwich on rye. Deli's are big in Montreal and Toronto and the smoked meat I put up against anyone....

Toss in our love of Tim Horton's coffee and the fact we BBQ like mad even if the snow is flying and we beg borrow or steal items of cuisine from everywhere since half of our major cities are immigrants from other weird and wonderful cultures.

In short, our native dishes are...native dishes.....as in Buffalo, venison and moose.

Easy Drifter
30th July 2009, 07:11
Don't forget Beaver Tails, Mark.
Even Obama tried one.
Although I would descibe it more as a heart attack looking for a place to happen than cuisine. :D
And then there is the infamous McMosport breakfast. :eek:

Firstgear
30th July 2009, 18:18
If you want to sample a wide variety of cultural dishes, and learn a bit about the culture, come to my town and visit folklorama. A two week cultural festival put on by immigrants from around the globe.

http://www.folklorama.ca/