PDA

View Full Version : Top Gear style races

Mark
23rd July 2009, 09:11
We had a proper Top Gear style race* up there recently, boys' car versus girls' car, starting at Stockton with the boys going straight up the A1 and the girls going via Sunderland for some reason. Meeting point was the car park by the Angel, and we won by about 30 seconds. :D

(*At perfectly legal speeds, needless to say :erm: )

As anyone else ever done a Top Gear race?

I did try once when going to Grenta for a wedding I went the military road and Karen went straight along the A69 and I got thre first by about half an hour. Until I learned that they'd stopped along the way to look at some flowers or somesuch :rolleyes: :p

23rd July 2009, 10:29
It's not quite a "Top Gear" style race, but a few years ago I went to my brother-in-laws wedding, taking his two youngest sons with me (second marriage, hence why his lads weren't there already).

My father-in-law had travelled down the day before, and when we got to the hotel he asked me how long it had taken us...

"About 1hr, 15" I replied.

He went very quiet, then told me he didn't believe me as he had done the journey in "2hrs 45minutes".

To be fair, he drives an Astra and has never been above 60 in his life.

Mind you, his grandsons had enjoyed it when the Ferrari hit 140mph .

Brown, Jon Brow
23rd July 2009, 11:24
When i'm 21 I really want to do a £100 car challenge in which me and a group of friends each buy a car for £100 and drive to Lands End and back. With various challenges along the way, such as driving through Liverpool with 'The Beatles suck' on my car.

(21 because you can't get temporary car insurance before then)

Mark
23rd July 2009, 11:43
When i'm 21 I really want to do a £100 car challenge in which me and a group of friends each buy a car for £100 and drive to Lands End and back. With various challenges along the way, such as driving through Liverpool with 'The Beatles suck' on my car.

Of course in the Top Gear low cost car challenges they have a team of mechanics following them to sort out any problems. Not to mention the usual 'backup car'.

wedge
23rd July 2009, 13:05
Done a couple.

Northampton to Heathrow - which is quickest? A43/M40/M25 or straight down the M1? I took the former, sister took the latter and I won proving that traffic between Luton-M25 is bloody awful

Northampton to Scotland - air vs car? I won though I had to drop off the parents at Birmingham airport and their hire car had no sat-nav!

Mark
23rd July 2009, 13:31
Northampton to Scotland - air vs car? I won though I had to drop off the parents at Birmingham airport and their hire car had no sat-nav!

Well it depends where in Scotland you are going to? The advice for Jedburgh may well be quite different to that for Portree!

wedge
23rd July 2009, 15:11
Well it depends where in Scotland you are going to? The advice for Jedburgh may well be quite different to that for Portree!

A suburban village in/near Glasgow. Driving through the ring road system with the sat nav guiding me was pretty damn useful :D

BTCC2
23rd July 2009, 15:47
I've done Newcastle to Inverness. car v train...The car won by 17 minutes.

emporer_k
23rd July 2009, 20:39
I once did Metro Centre to Dumfries car v train with the car winning.

306 Cosworth
23rd July 2009, 21:58

Where the hell did you find that?

Every temporary cover website i've found is 25! :(

J4MIE
23rd July 2009, 23:04
Never had the cause to do a Top Gear :(

Daniel
25th July 2009, 17:59
Never had the cause to do a Top Gear :(
What about the "how much can you scrape from the bottom of your brand new C3?" challenge? :p

Mark
27th July 2009, 09:11
I first read that as "How much change can you get from the bottom of your car". For mine at the last attempt it was about £12 :p