PDA

View Full Version : First US F1 car to be ready in October

christophulus
22nd July 2009, 11:01
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77115

All sounds very positive, and if they have a car running in October they'll be fairly well advanced by the start of next year. Funding from YouTube, base in Spain... all seems to be coming together!

Just waiting to find out who's going to pilot it now

Saint Devote
22nd July 2009, 11:45
But the regulations have not been finalized.

I agree that this teams' driver selection will be the most interesting because it has complicated itself due to the at least 1 American driver qualification.

veeten
22nd July 2009, 14:20
Making good progress. :up:

nigelred5
22nd July 2009, 14:21
So in essence they are in the same place as every other team registered to compete next year.
From what I read, they are beginning construction of the chassis with anticipation of rolling tests by October, after which body parts will be added. My read on that is their suspension design, the tub and undertray to carry the Cosworth drive train and it's ancillaries are expected to be fairly static with this year's existing regulations. The entire budget cap row has little to no effect on their announced "lean and mean" approach to the team and how they are going about their business. Remember they announced this long before the cap was announced. The aerodynamics are what is mostly up in the air, which would undoubtedly go through several generations before the next season anyway, aren't that important at this stage to a start up team. even though I'm certain they have an initial design to start with in the computers, just as evry other team already working on next year's car does.

El Libertador
22nd July 2009, 17:58
I agree that this teams' driver selection will be the most interesting because it has complicated itself due to the at least 1 American driver qualification.

This article basically says the same thing as the one in the OP, but at the end mentions that Jacques Villeneuve may be close to signing a deal with Team US F1 for next year. I can't say that's the best decision, but the US American teammate will make JV look good again, provided he keeps it out of the barriers.

http://tsn.ca/auto_racing/story/?id=285343

jonv
22nd July 2009, 18:10
Lots of false rumors circulating about JV and US F1 at the moment.
http://www.auto123.com/en/racing-news/formula-1/f1-false-rumours-about-jacques-villeneuve-and-us-f1?artid=109729&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=racing&utm_campaign=social

IMSA
22nd July 2009, 21:04
Still a lot of wishful thinking. Having a car done by October when they do not have any employees would be amazing.

This team is still nothing but "smoke and mirrors"

Saint Devote
23rd July 2009, 00:52
I wonder how far they can actually design because the tires and fuel tank size is unknown. Have they?

markabilly
23rd July 2009, 01:18
Amazing?? Not really, october is the date for the final race car, ready to race.
JV is testing the car with some experimental areo parts next week at indy

Easy Drifter
23rd July 2009, 04:02
Markabilly: Now I know where that missing case of single malt scotch got to. :D

markabilly
23rd July 2009, 13:27
Markabilly: Now I know where that missing case of single malt scotch got to. :D

another rumor founded upon truth :beer: but cause you can read it, it must be true

I think it is funny how they got a car all designed and everything, just need some folks to bolt it together in someone's backyard down in georgia (they drink the shine down there, none of that scot stuff) in the next week or so......

Sonic
23rd July 2009, 14:31
another rumor founded upon truth :beer: but cause you can read it, it must be true

I think it is funny how they got a car all designed and everything, just need some folks to bolt it together in someone's backyard down in georgia (they drink the shine down there, none of that scot stuff) in the next week or so......

I think you have just stumbled on the truth! USF1 is nothing more than an elaborate moonshine running operation. The first mock up of the car looks an awful lot like a dodge charger, and two cousins named bo and luke have been lined up to drive. :D

jens
23rd July 2009, 16:24
20 staff? Err, compared to existent F1 teams, which consist of hundreds of people. "20 employees" sounds like a random garagiste team from the 50's-60's. :p :

Easy Drifter
23rd July 2009, 18:30
Running in Oct.?
That will be a really good trick when the first Cosworth engine will not be delivered until Nov.
By the way in the mid 70's the Ensign factory in the winter was Mo Nunn and two men. I know I was there.
May have been more part timers but only two full time.
March also fired most F1 mechanics and then hired them back at lower wages to build customer cars until the new season began.
Guess who ran March then.