PDA

View Full Version : Forces Dogs & their Handlers in Afghanistan

Loobylou
17th July 2009, 14:57
I know I've not been around for quite a while so I feel a bit cheeky posting this, but hopefully it wil be of interest to one or two people which will make it worthwhile. :)

-----------------------------
The Military Working Dogs Special Unit in Camp Bastion in Afghanistan has approached the Royal British Legion for help.

These are the dogs that work with their handlers detecting explosives, drugs and bodies; they work in temperatures of 40 degrees or more and are in some of the most hostile environments.

The Dog Handlers have put out a plea for doggy treats, so that they can reward their dogs who are more like friends to them. It is also getting the handlers down that they cannot buy these treats over there.

It would be much appreciated if people could fill a shoebox full of doggy treats, anything but chocolate because it melts, and send to the unit. The shoebox should not weigh more than 2kg and will be accepted FOC at all post offices.

These boxes have to be addressed to a person, so if you are really interested and want to help, please send me a PM and I will give you the email of the British Legion contact and she will send you the address which for security reasons cannot be given out on an open network.
-----------------------------

There's a lot of us doing this on another forum that I frequent, Luff & I are going to be sending at last two boxes tomorrow, maybe three to keep them under the weight limit. A few people are sending odds & ends for the squaddies too, if anyone is generous enough to do that the only rule is no aerosols for the obvious reasons.

Thanks for reading,

L
xx

bowler
18th July 2009, 05:46
welcome back

Tazio
18th July 2009, 06:24
The Dog Handlers have put out a plea for doggy treats, so that they can reward their dogs who are more like friends to them. It is also getting the handlers down that they cannot buy these treats over there.

Link Please

anything but chocolate because it melts

I can think of a better reason not to send chocolate.

Chocolate contains theobromine. A naturally occurring stimulant found in the cocoa bean, theobromine increases urination and affects the central nervous system as well as heart muscle. While amounts vary by type of chocolate, it's the theobromine that is poisonous to dogs.

Daniel
18th July 2009, 08:31
Link Please

I can think of a better reason not to send chocolate.

Chocolate contains theobromine. A naturally occurring stimulant found in the cocoa bean, theobromine increases urination and affects the central nervous system as well as heart muscle. While amounts vary by type of chocolate, it's the theobromine that is poisonous to dogs.
I think Looby may have meant not to send doggy chocolate :)

Loobylou
18th July 2009, 18:11
I think Looby may have meant not to send doggy chocolate :)

Absolutley correct. Although I should have clarified as alot of people do not realise that human choc can be extremely bad for dogs.

Tazio, sorry but there is no link, the plea was sent in to a Royal British Legion contact by one of the Cpts within the unit. I'll pm you the email address & I'm sure Pat will be able to provide verification of my message. :)

Thanks for the welcome Bowler. :D

allycat228
19th July 2009, 22:51
Would i be allowed to post this message on a lab forum i am a member of?

Loobylou
20th July 2009, 08:26
Would i be allowed to post this message on a lab forum i am a member of?

Absolutely. The more the merrier! :)