PDA

View Full Version : So...what about the Solbergs?

Josti
18th February 2007, 14:51
Ok, so Henning did a great job finishing third in his home rally. Most important, in front of his brother Petter. Who else thinks, Henning will finish in front of his brother in this years championship and that he possibly could go for a win too? I do! :wave:

Don't get me wrong, I wish Petter the very best for this season, but I just don't see it happen...yet. Maybe it's because the Ford's are just that superb, but it could finally be Henning time right now :up:

JAM
18th February 2007, 14:58
Henning is not far from Petter, because i never considered Petter a reference, Is a good driver, almost excelent but still not excelent. The actual Subaru is a limitation otherwise thins were better.

Henning made a rally that didn't impressed, maybe because i had big hopes to him. But he was regular and careful so the 3rd place is a prize for his consistency.

Tomi
18th February 2007, 15:07
Petter as expected, i expected Henning to fight with, Stohl, Carlsson but Henning better. Galli also did a good rally i think.

Halvis
18th February 2007, 15:55
Whether Henning will beat Petter overall in '07 is mainly up to the new Impreza, I think. No way Henning can follow Petter on sheer driving the remaining season. Snow is Hennings force vs. Petter (and most other drivers), when it comes to gravel, not to mention tarmac, he has no chance of following Petter if Petter's new car proves to be reasonable reliable.

I think that if Henning had got the same chance that Petter got in his age, he could have been as good, but that was not the case - hence he will not be as fast - ever.

There are 2 vital things that Henning lacks vs the fastest drivers, experience in all rallies, and not the least, amount of testing. All the manu guys gets to test the car quite extensivly, while Henning (and others in his situation) hardly have any testing at all. As an example, before sweden, henning had testet the car twice, a short test outside the Prodrive shop on gravel, and 50 km on snow. Petter, on the other hand had 1000 km on snow the week before Sweden. A huge, huge difference, that gives the manu guys a huge advantage in every rally. When Henning (and other privateers) starts a rally, they have to start with another drivers setup, and then gradually try to shange them into own driving during the rally. This is a factor that underestimated, at least in this forum, IMO.

I could of course be wrong, but I don't think so. Henning might be the best "privateer" in '07, but that's so far it can go.

Mudflap
18th February 2007, 16:28
Whether Henning will beat Petter overall in '07 is mainly up to the new Impreza, I think. No way Henning can follow Petter on sheer driving the remaining season. Snow is Hennings force vs. Petter (and most other drivers), when it comes to gravel, not to mention tarmac, he has no chance of following Petter if Petter's new car proves to be reasonable reliable.

I think that if Henning had got the same chance that Petter got in his age, he could have been as good, but that was not the case - hence he will not be as fast - ever.

There are 2 vital things that Henning lacks vs the fastest drivers, experience in all rallies, and not the least, amount of testing. All the manu guys gets to test the car quite extensivly, while Henning (and others in his situation) hardly have any testing at all. As an example, before sweden, henning had testet the car twice, a short test outside the Prodrive shop on gravel, and 50 km on snow. Petter, on the other hand had 1000 km on snow the week before Sweden. A huge, huge difference, that gives the manu guys a huge advantage in every rally. When Henning (and other privateers) starts a rally, they have to start with another drivers setup, and then gradually try to shange them into own driving during the rally. This is a factor that underestimated, at least in this forum, IMO.

Some great points here,
If Petter was driving a Focus he would be up there with Marcus and Mikko on every rally but the Impreza is just not up to it.On the testing point I would think Mikko did alot of testing before Sweden.I spotted this when the news broke that ford were sending a team to compete here in Ireland on the Galway Rally two weeks ago.Firstly I was hoping that it could be Mikko that was comong but it made more sence to send Marcus to test on Tarmac and I would think Mikko was testing on snow during this time.

koko0703
19th February 2007, 03:07
I must agree....it all comes down to how competitive the new Impreza will be. If Impreza WRC2007 is fast and reasonable reliable, Petter will do much better than Henning because of his experience, the amount of testing, and tarmac rallies.

Tomi
19th February 2007, 05:52
http://www.vg.no/pub/vgart.hbs?artid=138962

Seems that petter is not so optimistic about the new car anymore.

A.F.F.
19th February 2007, 06:35
Dammit. That article could have been an intersting one but it's all åkke bokke bukke dukke to me :mark:

:p :

EuroTroll
19th February 2007, 06:44

Since they're not identical twins, I think there's reason to believe that Henning would either have been better than Petter given the same circumstances, or worse. Pick! :p :

Tomi
19th February 2007, 06:53
Dammit. That article could have been an intersting one but it's all åkke bokke bukke dukke to me :mark:
:p :

if i did understand it correct, he said after watching how the other teams are doing, he is not so optimistic about the new car anymore.
The rest of the article is mostly, åkke bokke bukke dukke. :)

Halvis
19th February 2007, 07:39
You're right, it's mostly åkke bokke bukke dukke...

Seriously, it says that Petter is a bit uncertain about the new car - and that the test upcoming week will be very important. That is the angle, a more uncertain Petter about the performance of the 07 model.

But it's in Norways largest tabloid, wouldn't take it too seriously, they hav picked an "angle" for the article.

koko0703
19th February 2007, 23:14
http://www.vg.no/pub/vgart.hbs?artid=138962

Seems that petter is not so optimistic about the new car anymore.

I can't understand the article but it's not good :( I'm sick of Impreza being crap!!! I don't have to see Impreza being dominant but if the car can win 1 or 2 rallies this year, I will be reasonably happy.

By the way, isn't Impreza WRC2006 (S12) the first Impreza not to win any rally as works car??? The first Impreza didn't win in 1993 but it didn't compete full season and the car they used in 1994 is virtually the same car.... Not just design, but I just can't like the current car because it simply can't win.

Corny
20th February 2007, 10:00
Subaru is the Feyenoord of rallying at the moment:P

calibr
20th February 2007, 10:22
A mate of me delivered a fire-extingusiher to Prodrive this weekend in Rally Norway. And wished them a good year for the upcomming Impreza WRC 2007. This Prodrive-guy said then to my mate with hes ralliart jacket that he was bloody hell happy that the next car are coming to next round, Rally Mexico :D

jure dvorsek
20th February 2007, 10:51
I totaly agree with Halvis-I was expecting for Norway that Henning will be faster than Peter-the reason is simple-impreza 06' is crap compare to Focus 06'. But in pure driving skil is Peter still one step ahead to Henning, maybe not on snow, but on tarmac and gravel definitive.
The only solution for Peter better results is Impreza 07', but don't expect first place in Mexico. It is first rally for new car, and Markus&Seb will drive over the limit to show the world, that Mikko's victory was yust a glimpse.

Finni
20th February 2007, 11:10
I would say that we cannot even talk Petter and Henning in the same day in terms of driving skills. Petter is way faster than henning everywhere - including the snow. It seems that Subaru's underperformance has some effect as to how people see petter as a driver. Don't forget that Petter has outpaced Loeb and Grönholm with equal machinery many times.

If Petter would have Henning's experience he would at Grönholm level now with Stobart Ford. Henning has driven wrc-car regularly from 2004 season and I don't believe that he gets much better than he is now. OK, henning has done only little tresting due to his privateer status but I also think that most miles for Petter came in real races not in the tests. That's why I think that driving races regularly from year to year gives you adequate amount of km's.

Finni
20th February 2007, 11:12
The only solution for Peter better results is Impreza 07', but don't expect first place in Mexico.

In speedwise Petter is at least equal with Ford drivers. Mark my words. I will bet Petter's win. Altough Loeb might be difficult to beat.

WRC2006
20th February 2007, 11:30
During their childhood, the brothers used to fight in different competitions and it is almost every time Petter who won the fight.

But Henning helped in the past Petter for his career particularly in the bad time of Petter's career.

Sturla
20th February 2007, 11:41
Petter is without a doubt much faster than Henning, probably the fastest one in the wrc in pure speed. His consistensy isn`t that good though.

I think that Henning`s speed has gone one step further this year, if you compare him to manfred and daniel, henning is much faster than them this year compared to last year(on snow). The xsara is still a very good car. I think it`s possible for Henning to fight for a top 5 in the championship if he can get points in the tarmac rallies. Still a long way to go in those rallies though :(

I don`t think it`s possible for Subaru to win with the new car this year, they have to wait for the 2008 car. The gap up to ford and citroen is too big.

MikeD
20th February 2007, 11:56
Petter is without a doubt much faster than Henning, probably the fastest one in the wrc in pure speed.

ehhh maybe in Rally Pluto ... otherwise he isn't in the same league as Loeb and Grönholm

Halvis
20th February 2007, 12:25
ehhh maybe in Rally Pluto ... otherwise he isn't in the same league as Loeb and Grönholm

I totally disagree. With the car, I would say Petter has done very well - except for last year. Last year was terrible, the Impreza seems to be going in the wrong direction all the time.

Petter's overall results:

2002: 2nd
2003: 1st, World Champion
2004: 2nd, reliabailty probs, won more than 80 stages, 30 more than Loeb
2005: 3rd, 6 points behind Marcus
2006: 6th, a year to forget
2007: ? Depends on the new car

Not in the same league?

Helstar
20th February 2007, 12:53
2005: 3rd, 6 points behind Marcus

I think they both shared second place with same total points ?

Anyway I agree Petter is one of three monsters, but it seems people is forgetting the Subaru crap. Give him a competitive car and he'll fight closely with Loeb and Bosse as in the past years ... Go Hollywood ! :)

Helstar
20th February 2007, 13:03

http://img.freeforumzone.it/upload/459333_ride5.gif

Lousada
20th February 2007, 14:03
Subaru is the Feyenoord of rallying at the moment:P

Well at least angry Subaru supporters have not yet rioted in Hamar and assaulted Citroen :o ;)