PDA

View Full Version : New car!

Daniel
16th July 2009, 21:51
Just got our new car today so I thought I'd post some pictures of it :)

http://members.iinet.net.au/~fenix1983/Files/500/New%20Folder/DSC_5715.JPG

http://members.iinet.net.au/~fenix1983/Files/500/New%20Folder/DSC_5713.JPG

I shall try and take some better pictures if it ever stops raining :mark: Plus some pictures of the interior which is rather nice as the red leather is quite a nice contrast.

Wade91
16th July 2009, 22:15
nice ride :up:

Rollo
16th July 2009, 23:35
I'd like to hear your feedback on the 500 after you've pounded over some B-Roads at speed. It shares the same floorpan as the Fiat Panda and the Ford Ka II, and being in the land of Oz I've not had a go of the Ka II.

The 500 I tested felt... totally neutral. It was like Fiat had been so careful with making sure the ride was inoffensive that they engineered all character out of it. But then again 90km doesn't tell you a whole heap, and I'd like to hear some proper "Real World" experience.

Daniel
16th July 2009, 23:52
I'd like to hear your feedback on the 500 after you've pounded over some B-Roads at speed. It shares the same floorpan as the Fiat Panda and the Ford Ka II, and being in the land of Oz I've not had a go of the Ka II.

The 500 I tested felt... totally neutral. It was like Fiat had been so careful with making sure the ride was inoffensive that they engineered all character out of it. But then again 90km doesn't tell you a whole heap, and I'd like to hear some proper "Real World" experience.
Well I've not been on any proper B-roads with it but judging from the ride on A-roads it will be nice and choppy! A fair bit of the blame must go to the 16" wheels, the short wheelbase and the fact that Fiat didn't fit an ARB to the 500's till recently with the Abarth and the 500c which means the rear end is quite stiff.

By all accounts the KaII rides better because is basically has the rear suspension from the Abarth which Fiat will be fitting to all 500's at some stage in the future.

GridGirl
16th July 2009, 23:53
I do rather like white cars at the moment but only if they are clean. Daniel, how often is the 500 expected to get a wash? You might want to saviour those pictures if you might not see the car in that state again until sometime next year. :p

Daniel
17th July 2009, 01:10
I'm actually planning on buying some decent car care stuff so we can keep it properly clean and looking good. I've never had a car with paint worth taking care of before :p I think white is certainly a nice colour for cars these days.

WRCfan
17th July 2009, 01:24
Well you have jeremy clarksons seal of approval on it! Cool little cars!!!

Mark
17th July 2009, 08:45
Well you have jeremy clarksons seal of approval on it! Cool little cars!!!

Yep, small is the new big :D

As for taking it on B-roads? Nah, far too busy, unclassified roads are the best ones ;)

Daniel
17th July 2009, 09:15
Yep, small is the new big :D

As for taking it on B-roads? Nah, far too busy, unclassified roads are the best ones ;)
Not around here :)

Small is good. I liked the fact last night that when I dropped Caroline off at the dealer last night to pick up her Subaru after our drive, that I could turn it in the width of the road which is different to Caroline's car which needs a good 3 point turn on most roads, the boot is small though bigger than expected and the engine is ridiculously small :D

GridGirl
17th July 2009, 09:35
Having a small car doesn't necessarily mean you have a good turning circle. Carolines 3 point turn in her Subaru would probably be a 30 point turn in my car. Well maybe more like a 6 point turn if I'm honest. Stupid little car with big fat wheels. :p Theres a website where you can compare the turning circles of cars. I looked it up not long after I got my car and found it was so rubbish and even things like Lagunas can beat me by metres.

Mark
17th July 2009, 09:41
Having a small car doesn't necessarily mean you have a good turning circle. Carolines 3 point turn in her Subaru would probably be a 30 point turn in my car. Well maybe more like a 6 point turn if I'm honest. Stupid little car with big fat wheels. :p Theres a website where you can compare the turning circles of cars. I looked it up not long after I got my car and found it was so rubbish and even things like Lagunas can beat me by metres.

Yes but you have a silly ST which is primarily designed for track work. Whereas a more normal Fiesta doesn't have much problem in that regard.

Daniel
17th July 2009, 09:45
The Subaru has such a wide turning circles because of the beefy gearbox which is the same reason your ST has a silly turning circle. Perhaps we could have a competition :p

Aikidoka
17th July 2009, 10:40
Nice :)

I've been thinking of getting one after my TT when I have assured the wife I will finally get a sensible car that doesn't drink a bathtub of petrol a day :)

leopard
17th July 2009, 11:00
A Micra look alike?...

Daniel
17th July 2009, 18:38
Nice :)

I've been thinking of getting one after my TT when I have assured the wife I will finally get a sensible car that doesn't drink a bathtub of petrol a day :)

Well it's certainly a step up in terms of economy! In terms of comfort it seems to be doing well but we've only had it a day so there's still time to find some amazingly huge flaw in it :) In terms of performance by god it is slow! But as a car to just drive around in I'm sure it'll do us just fine.

A Micra look alike?...

:p Well it's obvious that the Micra was actually made to look like the original Fiat 500 :)

Daniel
17th July 2009, 18:48
Here are a slightly better picture of it
http://members.iinet.net.au/~fenix1983/Files/500/New%20Folder/DSC_5718.JPG

And some pictures of the interior which is probably my favourite part of the car

http://members.iinet.net.au/~fenix1983/Files/500/New%20Folder/DSC_5723.JPG
http://members.iinet.net.au/~fenix1983/Files/500/New%20Folder/DSC_5721.JPG
http://members.iinet.net.au/~fenix1983/Files/500/New%20Folder/DSC_5720.JPG

I like the fact that they've made an effort with the interior unlike some cars which just plainly don't even bother. The leather wasn't cheap but IMHO it's worth it. Enjoy anyhoo

BeansBeansBeans
17th July 2009, 19:39
It's lovely that Daniel. Fancy one of 'em myself.

gloomyDAY
17th July 2009, 20:04
Nice car! I think FIAT/Chrysler are bringing the 500 to America.
We'll see if it's worth buying. That interior probably won't be in American showrooms.

The Ford Fiesta is going to come to America without any kit. :(

J4MIE
17th July 2009, 20:55
The seats are certainly bright :D And also agree that white is a brilliant car colour, lot of them about at the moment.

Wade91
18th July 2009, 01:34
thats awesome! i love the interior :D

Tazio
18th July 2009, 03:54
On3IoVhf_GM

Daniel
18th July 2009, 08:35
It's lovely that Daniel. Fancy one of 'em myself.

Well do what I did and scrap your old car and get 2k off a new one :p

Nice car! I think FIAT/Chrysler are bringing the 500 to America.
We'll see if it's worth buying. That interior probably won't be in American showrooms.

The Ford Fiesta is going to come to America without any kit.

From what I've heard there are plans to build it in Mexico :)

I think the 500 will make a fine city car for the US, I certainly don't think it'll be the best car for the open road due to the choice of engines (1.2 petrol, 1.4 petrol and 1.3 diesel) but for a city driver I think it will be more than adequate.

The seats are an option so you would think/hope that they'd do them in the US.

Not to bore you but there are 4 options for seats
The Sports ones which I quite like
http://www.hamann-motorsport.de/typo3temp/pics/7beaa02f16.jpg
The Pop seats which look like this and which I'm not entirely keen on
http://stylefrizz.com/img/the-new-fiat-500.jpg
And the Lounge seats which I'm not keen on either
http://image.automobilemag.com/f/7072229+w750+st0/0709_z+2007_fiat_500+interior_view.jpg
Plus leather as above which is available in red, tan and black

The seats are certainly bright :D And also agree that white is a brilliant car colour, lot of them about at the moment.

Well my D70s always exaggerates reds so a couple of those pictures make it look a bit OTT. The picture facing the seats is probably the best indication of actual colour.

White is just a cool colour for cars these days. Fizzi was talking about buying an A4 a while back and while I'm not a huge fan of Audi's (I hate them in fact) you have to admit it does look nice in white.

On3IoVhf_GM

:D

thats awesome! i love the interior :D

Me too! If I'm honest we were a little worried about the red but I'm really glad we went for red and not black!

Azumanga Davo
18th July 2009, 12:07
Oh yes, I would have one in a snap... *dribbles*

Daniel
18th July 2009, 17:48

Well I went for a drive over some proper roads today and it grips well in the corners because it's on Potenza's but as soon as you introduce bumps into the equation it starts with the comedy handling. You do get jiggled around a bit. It's on 16" wheels as opposed to the standard 15's so that accounts for part of it of course.

By all accounts the Abarth rear end (with the ARB) that is fitted to the 500c and the Ka sorts this out.

Brown, Jon Brow
19th July 2009, 21:43
Have you played with the 'City steering' yet Daniel? I've thought that the standard steering in small Fiats is light enough, you don't really need it. However I do use it in tight multi-stories. :p

Daniel
19th July 2009, 21:47
Yes I have. It's a bit stupid, I can't see the point of it even for old biddies.

Daniel
19th July 2009, 21:55
Have you played with the 'City steering' yet Daniel? I've thought that the standard steering in small Fiats is light enough, you don't really need it. However I do use it in tight multi-stories. :p
I just noticed your signature! :p

I do like it, but love? Love is a big thing and I don't think I love this car like I've loved other cars.

I should also point out to those that don't know, most new Fiats have electric steering as opposed to hydraulically assisted steering like most cars in the past. Some Fiats have a city button which lightens the steering and some more sporty models have a button which firms it up. An upshot of this is that it's more efficient in terms of fuel than conventional power steering, you can have buttons like sport and city which alter the steering although the downside is that the steering feels slightly artificial.

Azumanga Davo
20th July 2009, 07:05
I should also point out to those that don't know, most new Fiats have electric steering as opposed to hydraulically assisted steering like most cars in the past. Some Fiats have a city button which lightens the steering and some more sporty models have a button which firms it up. An upshot of this is that it's more efficient in terms of fuel than conventional power steering, you can have buttons like sport and city which alter the steering although the downside is that the steering feels slightly artificial.

That's the only downside I see for me personally. I don't even like power steering per say... :/

Storm
20th July 2009, 07:10
Congrats Dan...enjoy it!
although I don't like white cars, yours looks pretty good.

Brown, Jon Brow
20th July 2009, 11:30
I just noticed your signature! :p

I do like it, but love? Love is a big thing and I don't think I love this car like I've loved other cars.

I understand. It's early days and you only want to take the relationship slow. It's too early to start calling it love. :p

MrJan
20th July 2009, 11:34
I'm so jealous, if I ever got a shot at having a company car then I'd try to swing for one of these......still wouldn't sell my other car though :D

Mark
20th July 2009, 11:39
I would just like to point out that Fiestas have electronic steering too!

Daniel
21st July 2009, 19:05
Certainly wouldn't give up an mr2 for a 500 either. They're like chalk and cheese. Because I chose 16's for it it's got Bridestone Potenza's on which from what I've seen sofar hold on rather well but the suspension just doesn't cope with bumps at all well. You could spring for an Abarth which is an altogether different proposition. Regardless of the handling and lack of an engine (it's a 1.2) it's still a fun little car to be in. I can't think of anything new for that price which i'd rather have bought.

driveace
21st July 2009, 20:00
Just been told its the replacement for the Chiquechenquo.
Spelt wrong I know but thats what 500 is in Italian.