PDA

View Full Version : Niki Blasts Lewis

Tazio
13th July 2009, 20:56
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/13072009/13/lauda-critical-hamilton-s-park-request.html
One of Briton Hamilton's bosses, however, does not agree. Norbert Haug, competition chief for the team's engine partner Mercedes, said Hamilton's radio call was ‘in order’.

Hamilton finished the race 18th and it was later discovered that the MP4-24 suffered damaged to the upper floor and brake duct making progress from the back of the pack impossible.

Isn't Lauda being a little sensational, and over-critical?
Lewis simply asked a question. It's not his decesion to make, but with the engine and gearbox rules,
coupled with the fact that the macs seem to be comming up with some solutions.
If it was terminal aero damage why waste them as Mac could move up in the WCC standings/money if things come right!
Perhaps the team was thinking that the car would come right later in the race?

Roamy
13th July 2009, 21:24
I don't think so - we spend a lot of money to come and see the elite drive. So if the wheels are still on it - drive it. Can you even imagine GV calling in saying hey should I park. If my driver parked I would probably have to buy him a pink and baby blue drivers suit.

maximilian
13th July 2009, 21:39
Seeing that everything in the team's travel and preparations boils down to the couple hours of race day, that there is a testing ban in place, and that sponsors pay good money to have their logos seen by the public and TV audience, it is indeed a silly idea to just park a car that's in perfectly good running order. Do your job... collect data, let the fans see you, whether they love or hate you, and give the sponsors their due.

The Superrat always speaks his mind openly, and I admire him for that. He usually says it exactly how it is, without bull. Which is really rare in F1 circles. We need more of that.

ioan
13th July 2009, 21:42
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/13072009/13/lauda-critical-hamilton-s-park-request.html

Isn't Lauda being a little sensational, and over-critical?
Lewis simply asked a question. It's not his decesion to make, but with the engine and gearbox rules,
coupled with the fact that the macs seem to be comming up with some solutions.

Lauda is talking out of his rear side more often than not (like 90 t0 10 ratio).
I was also amazed by the McLaren decision to keep him out because it may rain later all this while he was 1 lap down on half the field and didn't have race pace.

Actually for once I thought Lewis was more intelligent than his whole team.

ioan
13th July 2009, 21:43
Seeing that everything in the team's travel and preparations boils down to the couple hours of race day, that there is a testing ban in place, and that sponsors pay good money to have their logos seen by the public and TV audience, it is indeed a silly idea to just park a car that's in perfectly good running order. Do your job... collect data, let the fans see you, whether they love or hate you, and give the sponsors their due.

The Superrat always speaks his mind openly, and I admire him for that. He usually says it exactly how it is, without bull. Which is really rare in F1 circles. We need more of that.

We'll see what the rat says when the McLaren team runs out of engines and have to take 10 place grid penalties. :rolleyes:

Brown, Jon Brow
13th July 2009, 22:19
Do we not have rules that prevent teams from parking the car to save the engine? Thinking back to Honda in 2005, they got penelised for doing it.

ioan
13th July 2009, 22:30
Do we not have rules that prevent teams from parking the car to save the engine? Thinking back to Honda in 2005, they got penelised for doing it.

When they have a broken floor and damaged brake ducts?!

Also the Hondas back in 2005 didn't retire in order to save the engines. They retired because back then you had the right to change your engine if you didn't finish the race. And no they weren't punished for it, but the rules were changed.

I can't believe it, I'm defending Lewis Hamilton. :D

Tazio
13th July 2009, 22:38
I can't believe it, I'm defending Lewis Hamilton. :D
Same sentiments here Bro :p :

CNR
13th July 2009, 22:47
me defending lewis what next

in the old days of racing it must be remembered the they had
1 or more engines for free practice
1 engine for qualifying
1 engine for the race

Roamy
13th July 2009, 23:29
Same sentiments here Bro :p :

that probably because you are too young to have ever seen GV

Tazio
14th July 2009, 00:10
Any Lack of recollection about GV definitely has something to do with my age, for sure.
I graduated from college one year before his first F1 Race. :eek:
My memory is not quit as keen as it used to be, but that is normal as you pass through mid-life.
(And I sure it's not likely to improve)

I just don't see why NL who I admire immensely for his courage, and his skill as a driver
(especially being the Ferrari honk that I am)
was so critical about something so non-news-worthy
As the Brits say, I think he has created a tempest in a teapot.
Did you read the article?
LH simply made an inquiry! Nothing to go ballistic about IMHO

Saint Devote
14th July 2009, 00:18
Niki lauda is 100% correct. Naturally the Hamilton adoration rank and file will disagree.

Who is Niki Lauda?
He brought Ferrari from obsurity back into its championship winning ways. He was the driver that changed f1 because he was the first to approach racing scientifically and build a team around him to focus on the championship.

He won 2 championship titles with Ferrari.

He was not comfortably weened like a baby as was Hamilton - Niki came up the hard way, for despite coming from a wealthy family, they never financed his racing. That risk he took based on his iron self-confidence.

And how strong is he?
He is a driver that came back from death's door, that awful August 1, when he crashed and burned at the real Nurburgring - at Bergwerk.

When the priest was giving him the Last Rites, Lauda reflected afterwards that he wanted to punch the priests jaw, because he, Lauda, was NOT gping die.

Six weeks later, this brave and courageous man, finished 4th at the Italian Grand Prix. When he removed his helmet, his balaclava was soaked red.

For anyone to disparage the comments of Lauda, who incidentally has always been positive and encouraged Hamilton, they deserve nothing but antipathy and contempt from those of us who actually know who Niki Lauda is and have the respect for him that he deserves.

Any racing driver that wants to give up during a grand prix, unless there are exceptional circumstances, is a disgrace to f1.

But then we are all aware, that Lewis Hamilton, is a child, a whimp, and often makes mistakes on the race track.

Compared to tough drivers like Lauda, Webber and Button, he is an embarassment to motor racing.

That he got his "daddy" to whimp him out of the triathlon challenge HE proposed to Jenson Button 2008, demonstrates just wat a pathetic little man-child "lewith" is.

Tazio
14th July 2009, 00:59
Niki lauda is 100% correct. Naturally the Hamilton adoration rank and file will disagree.

Who is Niki Lauda?
He brought Ferrari from obsurity back into its championship winning ways. He was the driver that changed f1 because he was the first to approach racing scientifically and build a team around him to focus on the championship.

He was not comfortably weened like a baby as was Hamilton - Niki came up the hard way, for despite coming from a wealthy family, they never financed his racing. That risk he took based on his iron self-confidence.

And how strong is he?
He is a driver that came back from death's door, that awful August 1, when he crashed and burned at the real Nurburgring - at Bergwerk.

When the priest was giving him the Last Rites, Lauda reflected afterwards that he wanted to punch the priests jaw, because he, Lauda, was NOT gping die.

Six weeks later, this brave and courageous man, finished 4th at the Italian Grand Prix. When he removed his helmet, his balaclava was soaked red.

For anyone to disparage the comments of Lauda, who incidentally has always been positive and encouraged Hamilton, they deserve nothing but antipathy and contempt from those of us who actually know who Niki Lauda is and have the respect for him that he deserves.

Any racing driver that wants to give up during a grand prix, unless there are exceptional circumstances, is a disgrace to f1.

But then we are all aware, that Lewis Hamilton, is a child, a whimp, and often makes mistakes on the race track.

Compared to tough drivers like Lauda, Webber and Button, he is an embarassment to motor racing.

That he got his "daddy" to whimp him out of the triathlon challenge HE proposed to Jenson Button 2008, demonstrates just wat a pathetic little man-child "lewith" is.I admire the hell out of Niki, and am well aware of his accomplishments. I remember them well.
I think he has blown this out of proportion and is falling into the same trap as the rest of the tabloid media!
Lewis has acted very immature in his brief career I'm usually one of the first to point it out
Niki Got a new engine before every race.
The teams no longer have that luxury. Go ahead and wax nostalgic. I do it a lot myself.
I was born in the early '50's but I live in the 21st Century. I wish a lot of things were like they used to be.
"But that's not how the song goes" (metaphorically speaking of course) I hold certain truths to be self evident]
with today’s rules with limited engines I wouldn't have blamed the team for calling him in. In fact I think it would be rather clever.
Niki misrepresented LH's (who I'm no fan of) intentions.
Lewis has a radio and he used it! BFD! Your delirious :down:

Somebody
14th July 2009, 02:40
St D: And then he parked a working car at Fuji and handed the WDC to James Hunt.

Valve Bounce
14th July 2009, 04:37
I just don't see why NL who I admire immensely for his courage, and his skill as a driver
(especially being the Ferrari honk that I am)
was so critical about something so non-news-worthy
As the Brits say, I think he has created a tempest in a teapot.
Did you read the article?
LH simply made an inquiry! Nothing to go ballistic about IMHOI admired Niki greatly for his courage as a driver, no question. But I also remember that he pulled out of a race later on because he considered the conditions were too dangerous.

Now, on a different vein, I have to say that Lewis was thinking ahead to the next race, and if he saved his engine, he would have more chance of putting in a more aggresive effort (enginewise) in Hungary.

Admittedly, I am not conversant with how engine rev limits can be set or exceeded these days, or how often; but that might have something to do with it.

And one more thing Taz - don't worry about memory loss - just drink more Espresso. (Don't know if Red Bull works the same - might give you lift off).

Ranger
14th July 2009, 04:44
Malaysia 2009 anyone?

Kimi Raikkonen didn't ask questions when Ferrari told him to pit for wets on a bone dry track in Malaysia.

A perfect example of where questioning would have come very handy.

DexDexter
14th July 2009, 08:32

Who is Niki Lauda?

And how strong is he?

That he got his "daddy" to whimp him out of the triathlon challenge HE proposed to Jenson Button 2008, demonstrates just wat a pathetic little man-child "lewith" is.

Lauda was a great driver but as a commentator he is not worth that much. We've all heard his stupid comments time and time again. Maybe he and Eddie Jordan should get together :)

Sonic
14th July 2009, 08:48
....And then he parked a working car at Fuji and handed the WDC to James Hunt.

Slightly different; one is a terrified driver fearing for his life a few months after having the last rights read to him the other is a cry baby pretty boy who has had a silver spoon in his mouth and is only now suffering with a bad car.

TheFamousEccles
14th July 2009, 09:02
Slightly different; one is a terrified driver fearing for his life a few months after having the last rights read to him the other is a cry baby pretty boy who has had a silver spoon in his mouth and is only now suffering with a bad car.

Word!

Sonic
14th July 2009, 09:32
I won't go into great detail as to why I dislike Lewis here; but its nothing to do with his nationalitly. But in brief he has always been a smarmy little so and so, and since he has gotten into a poor car it has shown him to be totally fake with a dual personality. One second he's all "the guys are great. So great. The best" and in the next interview "why do I bother. My life sucks! I'm getting nowhere, I should give up".

IMO he is a very immature man.

V12
14th July 2009, 09:47
I'm not a Lewis Hamilton fan, but agree with what he said and to be honest I would have suggested the same in his position.

Not that I enjoy the idea of a driver parking a healthy car, but we got the FIA's stupid engine and gearbox life rules to thank for that, not LH.

Valve Bounce
14th July 2009, 09:49
Lauda was a great driver but as a commentator he is not worth that much. We've all heard his stupid comments time and time again. Maybe he and Eddie Jordan should get together :)

Oh!! God forbid!! :rolleyes:

ioan
14th July 2009, 09:52
St D: And then he parked a working car at Fuji and handed the WDC to James Hunt.

:D No use to bring facts to an argument with StD. ;)

ioan
14th July 2009, 09:53
And one more thing Taz - don't worry about memory loss - just drink more Espresso. (Don't know if Red Bull works the same - might give you lift off).

Any antioxidant will do. ;)

Malaysia 2009 anyone?

Kimi Raikkonen didn't ask questions when Ferrari told him to pit for wets on a bone dry track in Malaysia.

A perfect example of where questioning would have come very handy.

Well he did ask after half a lap or so! ;)

ioan
14th July 2009, 09:56

:up:

I am evil Homer
14th July 2009, 10:26
Wow Niki Lauda talking rubbish...now there's a surprise. Stick to running your airline.

However he's nowhere near as bad as Eddi Jordan. He ruins the BBC coverage talking jibberish that even as a hardened F1 I have trouble understanding.

SGWilko
14th July 2009, 10:38
Not that I enjoy the idea of a driver parking a healthy car,

I see your point, but as it transpires, the car was far from healthy. It's all academic of course as Lewis carried on regardless (oohhhh, Matron!).

MrJan
14th July 2009, 12:04
I haven't read half of the thread but don't agree with Lauda that drivers should just drive. One of the reasons that MS was so good was down to the bloke being exceedingly clever at stragising during a race and actually thinking about what he was doing. On the flip side Hamilton probably missed out on a WDC due to not thinking enough.

markabilly
14th July 2009, 12:21

:confused:
he wishes he was too young to have ever seen Tazio Il Mantovano Volante Nuvolari winning in grand prix
:(

As to the question, I thought it good to ask (maybe the ferrari drivers should ask more questions), but i thought the radio response was a hoot......"concentrate on the driving and leave the strategy to us, dies ist der deutsche grande prix, herr dumm kopf und fahren sie für Mercedes"
:vader:

Sonic
14th July 2009, 12:27
Thats fair enough... :)

I like him because he is a great racer, down to earth, (I met him in 2008) and is human like the rest of us...

I respect his tallent behind the wheel. Buts thats about all.

Roamy
14th July 2009, 16:05
well I can understand the TIRE - anyone who sits and watches hours and hours of playing without scoring probably wouldn't mind if one of the stars parked the ride. But over here we have a little different attitude. You are paid to drive so drive and even if you are in last place stand on the gas. Nikki is a bit of A pervert but speaks the truth and was a hell of a driver.

Bagwan
14th July 2009, 16:37
When his team said to leave the strategy calls to them , they were saying more than that .
They were saying "shut the hell up " .

Lewis , had he been thinking , might have said that the car was very hard to drive , leaving the door open for the team to decide .

That they shut him down on the idea right away suggests to me that they think he talks too much , that he thinks he knows the way , and the way better than the team , despite the team having nursed him from the cradle .

That they shut him down so quickly suggests to me that they are afraid of what he might say , having been stung badly earlier this year by an impromptu interview where he said too much .

It seems a bit rich for Lewis to suggest he save engines when he was scolded for torturing them doing doughnuts at the last outing .

One ear has it right here .

cynisca
14th July 2009, 17:06
Niki Lauda has right. A driver should drive the car. The strategy makes the team. But, did Damon Hill retires because he was too far away from the leader at the French Grand Prix in 1999? When he drove for Jordan in his last season.

Tazio
14th July 2009, 17:54
Niki Lauda has right. A driver should drive the car. The strategy makes the team. But, did Damon Hill retires because he was too far away from the leader at the French Grand Prix in 1999? When he drove for Jordan in his last season.Hill didn't have the engine gearbox quota that is instituted this season! Damon could afford to trash his engine and it wouldn't leave him with one less for the season

Bags your asertion while viable (and possibly correct) contains a lot of speculation given the information from the link provided.

About parking his car, Hamilton only suggested. Unfortunately Nikki Lauda can't see a log in his own eye.
The car had some damage on the upper floor and brake duct for God's sake. Where is Nikki's safety sense?
Was he not paid when he abandoned the race in Japan? Nikki's decision was even worse because it cost him the title.
May be he has forgotten or old-age is taking its toll.

ioan
14th July 2009, 18:11
When his team said to leave the strategy calls to them , they were saying more than that .
They were saying "shut the hell up " .

Funny Lewy was right and the team used up an engine for nothing! What a bunch of idiots on the McLaren pitwall.

ioan
14th July 2009, 18:12
Niki Lauda has right. A driver should drive the car. The strategy makes the team. But, did Damon Hill retires because he was too far away from the leader at the French Grand Prix in 1999? When he drove for Jordan in his last season.

Did Hill have to drive 3 races with the same engine and 4 races with the same gearbox?!

You need to think outside of your match box.

ioan
14th July 2009, 18:14
About parking his car, Hamilton only suggested. Unfortunately Nikki Lauda can't see a log in his own eye.
The car had some damage on the upper floor and brake duct for God's sake. Where is Nikki's safety sense?
Was he not paid when he abandoned the race in Japan? Nikki's decision was even worse because it cost him the title.
May be he has forgotten or old-age is taking its toll.

Nikki is just an old fool who wants to make headlines. Sometimes he talks so much sh!t it's impossible to believe that someone's brain can fart so much in one phrase.

Koz
14th July 2009, 20:11
Maybe Niki plans to stand in the FIA elections...

He's got da street cred...

And as far as lewis...
Maybe it was worth staying out for testing reasons?

Firstgear
14th July 2009, 20:22
It seems a bit rich for Lewis to suggest he save engines when he was scolded for torturing them doing doughnuts at the last outing .

He may have tortured his tyres, but I doubt he hurt the engine or gearbox.

That 'scolding' may be one of the reasons he called in on the radio. If the team was concerned about saving the engine then, they should be thinking about saving it now as well.

Bagwan
14th July 2009, 23:36
This just backs up my suggestion.. Maybe team radio should not be available for us spectators to hear? If something as simply as a question is getting this much scrutiny, then are we rational enough as a group of fans to deal with such a priviledged feature...

I am .
I am not sure about you , sometimes .

But , I am quite rational , thanks .

ioan
14th July 2009, 23:46
And as far as lewis...
Maybe it was worth staying out for testing reasons?

With a broken floor and damaged brake duct?

Saint Devote
15th July 2009, 03:48

Have you really given thought to such a comment?

In wet dangerous conditions, a man that was barely alive a few weeks previously, decided during the last race of the season, to withdraw.

Have you any idea, can you even fathom what it takes to come out of Niki's ordeal, get back into the same racing car and then compete at the highest level? The cars in 1976 were also not the safe cars of today and the drivers had to actually DRIVE them!

Your comment is so misguided that in reality it does not even deserve retort.

If ever there was an exceptional circumstance to withdraw from a race, that was it.

You ought to apologize to Niki Lauda, but being the man he is, he would take offense because his self-esteem is ironclad and beyond reproach.

Saint Devote
15th July 2009, 03:51
Nikki is just an old fool who wants to make headlines. Sometimes he talks so much sh!t it's impossible to believe that someone's brain can fart so much in one phrase.

ought to be thrown off this message formum for making such despicable comment.

Clearly, you do not love this sport and not respect the great men that have made this sport.

You ought to be ashamed of yourself.

And definitely, your comment says far more about you than anything. You have my pity.

Tazio
15th July 2009, 06:10
:rolleyes: I can't wait for Ioan's rebuttal! :uhoh: :p :

Valve Bounce
15th July 2009, 06:38

Me neither. :uhoh: :eek:

555-04Q2
15th July 2009, 11:12
Why do people even take note of all the old fart ex F1 drivers that continue to spew cr@p out every week :?:

Ranger
15th July 2009, 11:20

Clearly, you do not love this sport and not respect the great men that have made this sport.

And definitely, your comment says far more about you than anything. You have my pity.

No one doubts Niki as a driver, whom you could have the highest respect for.

But his opinions... not so much on this matter but on many many others on Austrian TV are often extreme, untruthful or just stupid. Unfortunately.

Claiming that a monkey could drive a modern F1 car, then proceeding to drive one 30 seconds to a minute off the pace after spinning twice, demonstrates this point perfectly.

markabilly
15th July 2009, 12:59

Ioan better hurry otherwise at tazio's age, he may well forget what he was waiting for, but keep waiting anyway.

However, i doubt he can top this w/o getting banned:

Sometimes he talks so much sh!t it's impossible to believe that someone's brain can fart so much in one phrase.

well it seems to me that based on a number of posts of the self canonized, that Nicky is clearly in second place....but i got the cure for him... :beer:

SGWilko
15th July 2009, 13:14
you any idea, can you even fathom what it takes to come out of Niki's ordeal, get back into the same racing car and then compete at the highest level? The cars in 1976 were also not the safe cars of today and the drivers had to actually DRIVE them!

Can't argue with that. The only other driver I recall who had the balls to withdraw from dangerous wet race was Alain Prost.

markabilly
15th July 2009, 13:40
Can't argue with that. The only other driver I recall who had the balls to withdraw from dangerous wet race was Alain Prost.
Nobody can and the fact remains he was a great driver....but just cause you are great at one thing does not mean you can not be clueless at something else, just look at sarah palin or how prost did trying to run his own team

I am evil Homer
15th July 2009, 13:50
Indeed...Lauda the driver I have no problem with, what he did to come back from that crash is nothing short of astonishing.

Lauda the man who thinks because he once drove in F1 can denounce the current World Champion when he knows nothing of the circumstance besides what he saw from his armchair is an entirely different matter. Oh and his airline sucks :D

Garry Walker
15th July 2009, 15:44
Have you really given thought to such a comment?

In wet dangerous conditions, a man that was barely alive a few weeks previously, decided during the last race of the season, to withdraw.

Have you any idea, can you even fathom what it takes to come out of Niki's ordeal, get back into the same racing car and then compete at the highest level? The cars in 1976 were also not the safe cars of today and the drivers had to actually DRIVE them!

Your comment is so misguided that in reality it does not even deserve retort.

If ever there was an exceptional circumstance to withdraw from a race, that was it.

You ought to apologize to Niki Lauda, but being the man he is, he would take offense because his self-esteem is ironclad and beyond reproach.

Too funny.

Robinho
15th July 2009, 20:35
sure Niki was a magnificent and very brave driver, but that does not preclude him from saying something very stupid 30 years later, even on a subject he should be able to comment on with great authority.

i have to say (probably for the 1st time this year) that Hamilton was right on the money requesting to park a damaged car when already over a lap down - it was probably waiting to see if the rain came, but as the car dropped further back the team should have trusted his instincts that the car was damaged and that they would neither earn nor learn anything from dragging around at the back.

Niki undoubtedly has every right to comment, but on this occasion i wholeheartedly disaggree with him. and IIRC its not the 1st stupid thing he's said in teh last few years - and on the subject of todays cars, i seem to remember him being very insistent that the currect cars were very easy to drive when in charge of the Jaguar team, before having a go and spinning several times in the course of a lap.

i'll repsect his driving talent and his acheivements, but talent, bravery, acheivements and dumbass comments are not mutually exclusive

ioan
16th July 2009, 08:00

Said Max's little helper! :rotflmao:

ioan
16th July 2009, 08:00
Why do people even take note of all the old fart ex F1 drivers that continue to spew cr@p out every week :?:

You ought to be thrown out of this board, straight away, that's what the new saint of the forum said! :laugh: ;)

ioan
16th July 2009, 08:03
Ioan better hurry otherwise at tazio's age, he may well forget what he was waiting for, but keep waiting anyway.

Sorry guys, I had to take some friends on a guided tour in Vienna yesterday! ;)

Roamy
16th July 2009, 08:05

Rack him Devote - Ole one ear has a big place in F1 forever and he earned it.

ioan
16th July 2009, 08:05
Rack him Devote - Ole one ear has a big place in F1 forever and he earned it.

One ear? Maybe half ear?!