PDA

View Full Version : How quick can you change a tyre?!

wedge
13th July 2009, 14:26
Yesterday I had to help a damsel in distress (lady friend called to say she had a punctured tyre).

From taking the spare wheel out to tightening the bolts I did it in over 7mins, though in my defence I was figureing out how to use the funny looking jack and correct jacking location!

So how quick can you change a tyre?

BeansBeansBeans
13th July 2009, 14:32
The first time I suffered a puncture on a car with alloys, I'd not idea how to get the wheel off, so had to call the AA, losing valuable man-points.

So in that case, it was about half an hour.

MrJan
13th July 2009, 15:36
THat's not just losing man-points BBB, it deserves all points to be struck from the list :p : :D

Not sure how quick I can do it but fairly sharpish, although I do have 5 nuts now so a few seconds longer :)

wedge
13th July 2009, 15:44
Me too first time. Thought the wrench was too small and called for recovery.

Recovery man said I had to remove the plastic bolt covers first!

DOH!!!

Dave B
13th July 2009, 16:52
When we had a puncture halfway through the Dartford tunnel, I easily managed a sub five minute change on the hard shoulder immediately on the exit - didn't want to risk the tunnel police turning up and bollocking me for the state of my spare!

Tazio
13th July 2009, 21:04
It depends on where I'm going at the time :p :

J4MIE
13th July 2009, 21:34
When I got a punture in the Saxo it took me aaaaaaaaaages to do it as it was dark and I used the passing motorway traffic's headlights to see what I was doing.... and also although it only had three studs Citroen in their infinite wisdom decided when making it that the wheel nuts would screw into the hub itself so you had to line up the wheel correctly before screwing them in :s

Then when I was coming back home and the spare punctured... the look the rac man gave me (you know, the "idiot can't even change a tyre look" :rolleyes: ) before he realised that I was all out of spare tyres :p :

Of course changing the puncture I got up a mountain in Greece took me a good long while but to be fair I was not used to the heat :bigcry:

Brown, Jon Brow
13th July 2009, 22:06
I've never had to change mine at the side of the road. I've only ever changed a wheel when i got a nail in tyre, and changed it as a precaution.

Although I have managed to change a wheel in a few minutes when I was on work experience in a Jaguar garage and had a wheel gun to use :p

driveace
13th July 2009, 22:46
I won a T shirt at the 96 F1 GP at Spa in a wheel change competition by McLaren.I am sure it was less than 10seconds..We had buzz guns too.One for off and one for on.So less than 10 seconds,and still have the T shirt!

Mark
14th July 2009, 08:47
Never had to change a tyre but on Mull we had to stop every few miles to pick the little stones out of the tyre tread as they made quite a noise :p

leopard
14th July 2009, 10:00
Taking nails out of tires will make it punctured.
Neither I ever change tires myself or take nails out of it.
I'd rather drive the car carefully to the nearest tire repair as soon as I know it need more Nitrogen or found nails on it. :)

Azumanga Davo
14th July 2009, 17:03
I remember (rather unfondly) performing a wheel change, in the pouring rain, on the Korean bubble of fail. It took 1 hour as the tools provided were nothing short of atrocious.

Needless to say, I've done that a fair bit faster since...

janvanvurpa
14th July 2009, 20:41
2m 30 sec on rally car according to the start crew's clock.
I was 'Sweep car" and one of them notices trees and grass sticking out tween the wheel and tire so I said 'Time us from switch off to we got 'er in gear"
Well greased up jack, anti sieze in the wheel bolt threads and PRACTICE.

Of course it was on a superb Saab 96, with the superior, sturdy OEM jack with the good Acme threads and coarse threads on the bolts...

Aikidoka
15th July 2009, 12:39
It's been years since I changed a tyre, although I don't drive as many miles as I used to.

I do remember the first time I changed a tyre on my own - I jacked it up before loosening the bolts then had to phone my dad as I couldn't work out why I couldn't budge them.

raybak
15th July 2009, 13:40
Our best effort on the rally car is 1 min 12 secs with a battery rattle gun. Have to have a good system though.

Ray