PDA

View Full Version : Lets take a half-time review

UltimateDanGTR
11th July 2009, 19:57
we are half way through The 2009 NASCAR Sprint Cup series, still with a long way to go, so lets see how this season has gone, and ask the big question: who's gonna win?

so lets start. My money is on Tony Stewart, he's got his team just right and if they can continue their current form, now and in the chase, i see him being uncatchable.

Kyle may lead the points at the start of the chase on victories, but I cant see him winning on the basis that he's too eratic. his bigger bro Kurt doesnt look good enough for the championship at the moment, but he can still be competitive.

Jeff Gordon has certainly been quiete recently, but has got some results in. he definatly needs to win a few more races to stand a chance, so this next half needs to be about him upping his game to be a true challenger, even if he is currently so far up the table.

Jimmie Johnson. I see him as Stewarts main threat. he is always there, always consistent, always calm, and seems to have led goodness knows how many laps recently without winning since dover. I reckon if stewart doesnt do it, Johnson will.

Carl Edwards hasnt had any wins this year, and he hasnt been fast enough to win since his best chance at Talladega, but if he finds his sheer speed that he has, he can get right up there.

Mark Martin. First off he needs to get more consistent to be secure of a chase place, but if he's in it then he can be a challenger, because when he is fast he is fast by what i've seen, and also when its his day a fair bit of luck comes his way. I hope he does get in the chase, if he doesnt it will be a real shame. If he is in it, he'll be in a good position and can rack up the wins. Id personally love this old timer to do well over the young guys.

Race for the chase. out of the group who are fighting for a chase position, it looks like Juan Montoya and Mark Martin will most likely do it, although Kasey Kahne will be right there aswell. Reutimann and Burton are the other challengers, but it seems to me Mark Martin and Juan Pablo are the best bet. Ofcourse, Matt Kenseth and Greg Biffle are definalty not safe yet, and so should start looking in their rear view mirrors in the race for the chase.

That brings me on to Biffle and Kenseth. It would be a shame for Kenseth not to make it after winning the first 2 races of the year. Biffle should do it, bit you never know.........

Kasey Kahne and Juan Montoya both need to keep it up to get into the chase, same with Reutimann.

but in my mind I think the final battle for the championship will be between Tony Stewart and Jimmy Johnson come Homestead. others may be strong challengers like Edwards and Gordon and possibly Kyle Busch, but at the end of the day I think we will see a pretty cool duel to see who will win the sprint cup.

what do you think?

DanicaFan
11th July 2009, 21:54
I am in agreement. Right now, Tony is the man to beat. He has been the most consistent this year other than Jeff Gordon. I also feel that Jimmie will turn around and get on fire again like he did last year. You can never count out him and Knaus together. I too, think he will be Tony's biggest threat.

I would not be shocked to see Jimmie win 4 championships in a row.

UltimateDanGTR
12th July 2009, 08:33
I wont be shocked either. I dont want him to win it though, 4 in a row is hogging it a bit!

Jonesi
12th July 2009, 09:35
I wont be shocked either. I dont want him to win it though, 4 in a row is hogging it a bit!

The Championship usually goes to the top driver who has the least bad luck.

willracefan
12th July 2009, 11:21
well i think jj, mark, and tony have just started off the bonus points battle until the cut off. and they will be the top three seeded.

kyle busch..he's done. he cant handle pressure for one and has become self destructive. he is checkers or wreckers, and this year he has been more wreckers than checkers. no way he gets in the way of the big three and takes control and as i said before, kyle dont like to fight it out. he's got to be in charge or completely unravel. and even if he gets in the chase he will be out of contention in no time.

gordon, kurt busch, edwards, and newman's consistencies will get them in but thats about it, i dont see them being a huge title factor, not even gordon, this year.

hamlin and kahne will get in. they seem to be consistent at least, but they wont do anything as usual in the chase.

kenseth has two wins, biffle has none and they are not in the projected bonus point battle. but kenseth's two wins get him in and he is better in the summer.

i think biffle falls out and since the new rcr engines may be giving him the goodies, bowyer will get in. loseroya will take his 12th place self and back in the chase(he has NO top fives this year yet) and will finish there or not too much higher.

the championship will be tony vs.jimme, with martin starting good early and as the story is told, collapses late against johnson, as that usually happens to the nice guy. one of the surprises that happens will be kenseth racking up top tens and will finish in the top five but will not reach the serious battlefire with the 48, 14, and 5. and johnson will send a message that he is out to be the best hms driver by winning his fourth title, tying his teammate.

wedge
13th July 2009, 12:22
Good review, spot on :up:

Jimmie Johnson is thee master of the Chase, he manages to peak at the right time.

muggle not
13th July 2009, 13:51
I think that Kahne may be a contender. He really likes the new engine and has confidence now that his car is as good as the Hendricks cars. Other favorites are JJ (of course), Jeff Gordon, and Tony. Mark also has to be in that group.

The ranking of my favorites:

1. JJ........(gotta list him as the favorite - Knaus)
2. Tony
3. Jeff Gordon
4. tie - Mark and Kasey

The others could make it interesting at times but shouldn't be serious contenders.

NickFalzone
13th July 2009, 15:11
Kyle is only 3 points from 12th, and 13 points from being outside of the Chase. A couple good weeks for Biffle and Reutimann and Kyle's on the outside looking in. His immaturity and frustration was on full display at Chicago blowing out his $100k engine because he wasn't running up front. I could still see him making the chase but until his attitude changes he's not even going to be in contention for the title. I think it's Tony's year.

colinspooky
13th July 2009, 21:31
yeah, but seriously, will Danica make the Chase next year? :confused:

sorry, couldn't resist.......... :dozey:

harvick#1
13th July 2009, 21:53
Once Nascar dumps the CoT, the racing can get better, but until then, I dont mind missing races anymore, in fact, I really care less about the races, though I'll prolly watch Indy just because its indy

Lee Roy
14th July 2009, 13:57

Danica would be lucky to even make it INTO a race.

UltimateDanGTR
14th July 2009, 17:50

err, I have you know Danica will show Jimmie Johnson a thing or two, whilst winning 20 races in the season and the formula 1 world championship. :D now thats woman power! :D

muggle not
15th July 2009, 03:15
Danica would be lucky to even make it INTO a race.
There is no way she can make it into a race. No Nascar team in their right mind would give her a ride.

UltimateDanGTR
15th July 2009, 16:41
better hope Danica stays in indycar ir goes to F1 then, for her own sake

NickFalzone
15th July 2009, 17:26
Stewart told her the path that he would take with her if she went with Stewart Haas: full nationwide schedule and 6 or so Cup races for her first season. Ganassi also has supposedly made her an offer for his IRL team. He has the Cup side too with EGR. I see her going with Gannassi or SH, with an eye towards NASCAR on each. Least likely scenario is staying as an IRL only driver with Andretti. Just don't see that happening.

harvick#1
15th July 2009, 17:46
stewart has to be smoking some bad weed or something to offer her a ride, she'll crash out of every race and take a couple crew members with her, gotta think these cars are alittle more difficult than an indy car

youtellme
16th July 2009, 04:58
Id rather see TS champion that JJ , I bought had enought of his azz