PDA

View Full Version : French tourists seen as world's worst: survey

steve_spackman
9th July 2009, 20:01
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090709/lf_nm_life/us_france_tourists

quote: "The French don't go abroad very much. We're lucky enough to have a country which is magnificent in terms of its landscape and culture," he said, adding that 90 per cent of French people did their traveling at home. "So when they're on holiday they can be a bit stressed, they're not used to things, and this can lead them to be demanding in a way which could be seen as a certain arrogance."

reminds me of another country....they know who they are!

Drew
9th July 2009, 20:07
This survey can't be right.

The Japanese ranked top of the Best Tourist survey, with the British and the Germans judged the best of the Europeans.

But French tourists received some consolation for their poor performance, finishing third after the Italians and British for dress sense while on holiday.

What?! Have we all learnt that sandals and socks are a big no no then? :p :

Tazio
9th July 2009, 21:03
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090709/...rance_tourists
Talking to a French radio station, sounds like Expedia trying to get some free advertising to me!

Talk to a few Indian, and Pakistani propeitors that are wimpering about the tips they didn't get while paying dirt to hotel employee's :down:

Of course then their is the all important:

But French tourists received some consolation for their poor performance, finishing third after the Italians and British for dress sense while on holiday.

Ya'awl boys make sure you vacation properly! :laugh:

yodasarmpit
9th July 2009, 21:28
It's strange, now that I think about it I think I've ever only ever met one person from France, when abroad, and that was at a business conference in Amsterdam.

Mark
10th July 2009, 08:11
Went to the Costa Dorada in Spain (just south of Barcelona) the majority of tourists there were French, then Spainish, then English. Curiously, after visiting Mallorca where they are in the majority, almost no Germans.

Of course in the UK we have just as varied a landscape as you'd find in France, but we haven't got the weather to go with it!

janvanvurpa
10th July 2009, 08:40
Of course in the UK we have just as varied a landscape as you'd find in France, but we haven't got the weather to go with it!

Geee Mark, somehow I must have missed the glacier clad Alps in the UK and the only place I haven't been is Liverpool and Northwards.
So are your Alps found in Blackpool?
or Harrowgate?

Just where will one find the mighty British Alps?
(winkie wink, eh)

Mark
10th July 2009, 09:13
Just where will one find the mighty British Alps?
(winkie wink, eh)

You need to ask? Just look at any map of the North West of Scotland, particularly Skye.

OK, they may not have the height of the Alps but they are just as spectacular. IMO of course.

emporer_k
10th July 2009, 19:38
I once met a french gut on holiday while in amsterdam. We were both heading back to the airport but he forgot to get off the train at schipol.

Mark in Oshawa
10th July 2009, 20:10
Whew....I wonder if they think French Canadians are as obnoxious. Friends of mine from Florida say they are....

anthonyvop
13th July 2009, 23:48
Whew....I wonder if they think French Canadians are as obnoxious. Friends of mine from Florida say they are....
that we do.

Having worked in the tourism industry in the Caribbean I can attest that the French Canadians are considered the worse. Followed by the French.

janvanvurpa
14th July 2009, 07:11
that we do.

Having worked in the tourism industry in the Caribbean I can attest that the French Canadians are considered the worse. Followed by the French.

And that's saying something for a fellow from a state the residents of which are known as "Floridiots" and from a fellow that exemplifies and personifies obnoxiousness, and the absolute worst possible traits for an American.

You're certainly the expert on that!

Rudy Tamasz
14th July 2009, 07:37
And that's saying something for a fellow from a state the residents of which are known as "Floridiots" and from a fellow that exemplifies and personifies obnoxiousness, and the absolute worst possible traits for an American.

Hey, do we need to resort to personal attacks here?

Roamy
14th July 2009, 16:18

Yes we do Rudy - How can we discuss the Frogs if we don't? Plus the guy from Fagington is a far lefter with a huge chip. He always has something bad to say - It is just the nature of the forum.

janvanvurpa
14th July 2009, 16:59

Aren't all the people world wide that the anonymous person called "VOP" (by that, I mean he's a mere figment on the screen, he has no real name so he's not a "person" any more than "The French" ) also people? And just because he's referring to 64,000,000 as obnoxious, isn't that a very large--or numerous "personal attack"?

I mean it is a odd thing on most forums that anonymous people hiding behind the mask of "screen name" can insult the person of all sorts of people as do they do with example Hillary Clinton "she's fat and ugly " (which she is but we don't know if they themselves are fat and ugly, and thus have no room to bitch about that ) or call for the wiping out of millions of women and children with 'nuculer weapons' as Fousto has done hundreds of times and somehow these anonymous persons are exempt for any sort of the same disdain and depersonalising contempt that THEY post in nearly every one of their postings.

So ocassionally, they get back a few of the same sort of respect for others that they---and you have to admit in this clown's case he does throw around hate and contempt in nearly every single one of his posts-- give out to others.

I mean is the anonymous character "Anthonyvop" a real person?

Many here have theorized that he's not a real person but a long running parody of some angry insane Right wing Limbuagh ditto-head.
But nobody knows.

So why should a "screen name" be accorded treatment the screen name doesn't give to others, millions of others?

steve_spackman
14th July 2009, 19:16

:D

steve_spackman
14th July 2009, 19:16
Aren't all the people world wide that the anonymous person called "VOP" (by that, I mean he's a mere figment on the screen, he has no real name so he's not a "person" any more than "The French" ) also people? And just because he's referring to 64,000,000 as obnoxious, isn't that a very large--or numerous "personal attack"?

I mean it is a odd thing on most forums that anonymous people hiding behind the mask of "screen name" can insult the person of all sorts of people as do they do with example Hillary Clinton "she's fat and ugly " (which she is but we don't know if they themselves are fat and ugly, and thus have no room to bitch about that ) or call for the wiping out of millions of women and children with 'nuculer weapons' as Fousto has done hundreds of times and somehow these anonymous persons are exempt for any sort of the same disdain and depersonalising contempt that THEY post in nearly every one of their postings.

So ocassionally, they get back a few of the same sort of respect for others that they---and you have to admit in this clown's case he does throw around hate and contempt in nearly every single one of his posts-- give out to others.

Many here have theorized that he's not a real person but a long running parody of some angry insane Right wing Limbuagh ditto-head.
But nobody knows.

So why should a "screen name" be accorded treatment the screen name doesn't give to others, millions of others?

Well said

anthonyvop
14th July 2009, 19:49

But nobody knows.

Funny thing.....Unlike the vast majority of the people who post here, I provide a link to a website where you can actually see and hear me.

I am not anonymous in any form. I use the same screen name on a myriad of sites so pretty much everybody knows who I am.

steve_spackman
15th July 2009, 03:24
Funny thing.....Unlike the vast majority of the people who post here, I provide a link to a website where you can actually see and hear me.

I am not anonymous in any form. I use the same screen name on a myriad of sites so pretty much everybody knows who I am.

Yes im sure i have seen you post on other blogs and forums

Roamy
15th July 2009, 07:34
Oh How are you nice TIREs this morning. I sure hope your coffee came out well and the paper was delivered on time. I am sure you are have some "French Roast" coffee. Boy just wait a few hours and you can have some of that nice French red wine. The French people are so nice and thoughtful that they grow enough grapes so you can enjoy their fine wines. I sure hope we get the French GP back real soon especially if they can have it again in DiJohn. or DiDavid or DiBob or maybe DiPierre. Well I think they could increase attendance out there if the gave everyone a jar of Mustard and a f___ing Poodle.

Now are you happy JANVAN ?????

janvanvurpa
15th July 2009, 19:33
Oh How are you nice TIREs this morning. I sure hope your coffee came out well and the paper was delivered on time. I am sure you are have some "French Roast" coffee. Boy just wait a few hours and you can have some of that nice French red wine. The French people are so nice and thoughtful that they grow enough grapes so you can enjoy their fine wines. I sure hope we get the French GP back real soon especially if they can have it again in DiJohn. or DiDavid or DiBob or maybe DiPierre. Well I think they could increase attendance out there if the gave everyone a jar of Mustard and a f___ing Poodle.

Now are you happy JANVAN ?????

Don't drink coffee.
Russian or Chinese black ( or as the it's called in Chinese, "Red") tea..

But then again you should have guessed that.

Hope you had a happy Quattorze Juillet!
Bonne fete mes amis!

TheFamousEccles
16th July 2009, 01:11
Its a funny thing, expectation. Whilst abroad in '07 the beautiful and talented wife (she's watching...) and I were in a outdoor tapas bar in Barcelona on Plaza Real enjoying the afternoon (my first time abroad, and I had just returned from the Catalan MotoGP - Stoner beat Vale in a great battle) and things were great. Then a bunch of lager boys got evicted from a bar on the other side of the square, wandered randomly around making a lot of noise and menacing the locals. Surprise surprise, they then chose the bar we were at and became even more obnoxious - throwing things, shouting "tits ooot" to any vaguely female-looking person in the vicinity, and then finally deciding that we should benefit from their particular attention. Well, specifically, my wife should benefit, whilst suggesting I should F*ck off sharpish.

This was kinda dissapointing as I had just spent the day with some of their countrymen (we combined resources whist wandering around Sants rail station looking for the correct train to get to Montmello) who were great company and shared the MotoGP enthusiasm that I had - we still keep in touch from time to time.

My point is, nationality and civility are not necessarily mutually exclusive, but cashed-up bogans (or in this instance, Chavs) are the same world wide, it seems.

Our experience of the French was limited to Paris (didn't actually meet any outside of France) and they were by and large charming and helpfull - except for a barkeep who changed the price of a beer every time I bought one (we had a bit of a cross cultural shouting match, he thought I was british, but once he understood I was Australian, he just laughed and dismissed me out of hand - I dont know what was worse ;) ).

Aussies abroad are a bit of a lottery. Met some who were cool and easy going, but bumped into one couple in Venice, the male of which got stroppy when I said "who cares?" "I'm on holiday on the other side of the world" when he asked me how Collingwood were going (an aussie-rules footy team, if you were wandering)? But, thats a Collingwood supporter for ya :p :

Tomi
16th July 2009, 20:35
My vote would go to the romanians as worst tourists, beggers and thievs, even dogsh!t on the street is better than a romanian tourist.