PDA

View Full Version : Vatanen for (FIA) President

alleskids
7th July 2009, 17:33
Ari Vatanen is considering running as the FIA President. He is talking with a number of officials and is getting many positive reactions. He things it is time for change (were have we heard that before :) ). The election is in october.
I thing he is as good as any change, has a lot of experience in politics as member of the EEG in Brussels. The other main candidate is an other ex rally crack, Jean Todt.

Caroline
7th July 2009, 18:30
Having worked in Brussels, representing people, I also think he would be a good choice.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/jul/06/ari-vatanen-max-mosley-fia

seb_sh
7th July 2009, 18:32
He's definitely one of the main candidates plus he has both political and motorsport experience (not F1 so also good). I don't know how good he is as a leader, that's probably the main concern, being in the European Parliament doesn't necessarily assure he's any good.

As for Jean Todt from a motorsport point of view he's obviously very qualified (rally experience, le mans experience, f1 experience) and he did do a stint at managing Ferrari's road car department (can't remember exactly what position he held). The problem with him is he's likely to be suspected of bias towards Ferrari in F1.

Tbh I'm a bit reserved regarding both, because FIA governs a lot more than motorsport so perhaps someone from motorsport is not ideal? Or maybe it's a good idea to create a subsection of FIA to focus specifically on motorsport (like the old FISA) and leave the other things to FIA.

lcd
8th July 2009, 07:27
...Tbh I'm a bit reserved regarding both, because FIA governs a lot more than motorsport so perhaps someone from motorsport is not ideal?

Couldn't agree more with that! ;)

karo
8th July 2009, 07:28
He has got my vote............hopelully somebody at the wheel with a rally minded head.

WRCfan
8th July 2009, 11:01
Ari is a level headed guy who knows the in's and out's of motorsport well. His experience in Euro Parliament is great. The guy in power now enjoys being whipped by h**kers in latex and has done nothing but bad things for motorsport for a long time.

Ari would be a BIG breath of fresh air for the FIA.

pino
8th July 2009, 11:47
Vatanen would be a great choice :up:

teufel
8th July 2009, 12:51
I think F1 has much bigger budget, so I think the next FIA president comes from their side, it may be Jean Todt :(
But I agree totally with you guys, Ari gets my vote too!

ShiftingGears
8th July 2009, 14:11
I don't know if he'd be any good. Just because he's a world rally champion and a politician, doesnt necessarily make him capable for the job.

koko0703
8th July 2009, 14:26
I think F1 has much bigger budget, so I think the next FIA president comes from their side, it may be Jean Todt :(
But I agree totally with you guys, Ari gets my vote too!

Because the formula one has bigger influence, I think Vatanen would be better choice than Jean Todt for Formula One as well as for WRC. Exception of Ferrari, other formula one teams wouldn't like the idea of ex-Ferrari figure managing their series.

alleskids
8th July 2009, 15:45
Mosley only survived the crises a couple of months go thanks to the votes that rally legend Mohammed Bin Sulayem fixed for him with the votes from Africa/Middle East. Maybe one rally leged can help an other rally legend to hold of the F1 influence.

Helstar
9th July 2009, 04:36
Mosley only survived the crises a couple of months go thanks to the votes that rally legend Mohammed Bin Sulayem fixed for him with the votes from Africa/Middle East. Maybe one rally leged can help an other rally legend to hold of the F1 influence.
Oh, is that the gentleman who said to Loeb "shave yourself to offer a better image" ? (to win 5 consecutive titles and more than 50 rallies is not enough it seems). Nice guy (....not !).

Oh, btw ... Mr. "I luv nazist themed orgies" Mosley is still pissing people off in F1 I heard; "you didn't subscribe for next year so you can't vote the rules !" lol very clever ... not (^^ again).

sollitt
9th July 2009, 23:06
Oh, is that the gentleman who said to Loeb "shave yourself to offer a better image" ?

No, it's not.

Helstar
10th July 2009, 01:27
No, it's not.
You're right, it was Surinder Thatti, Chairman of the Confederation Of African Countries in Motorsport.

tmx
10th July 2009, 10:09
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/76759

This cabinet support requirement thing put up by Mosley is a load of crap.

N.O.T
10th July 2009, 14:18
when that pathetic insecure little old man dies we should have a national motorsport holiday.....

seb_sh
10th July 2009, 23:29
It's pretty much official now that Vatanen will stand for election. (WRC.com reporting it as well as others)

alleskids
12th July 2009, 09:47
He is taking his role and his campaign very serious. He was at the German GP this weekend on the Nurburgring, to talk with the F1 teams (and maybe collecting some votes)

Spud
13th July 2009, 00:38
I do agree that perhaps the best choice for FIA president may not be someone from a motorsport background Im confident that Vatanen would do a good job. Jean Todt wouldnt be bad either but my concern would be a possible bias for Ferrari in F1.

seb_sh
13th July 2009, 10:47
Vatanen is indeed taking his role serious and his discourse up to now has been encouraging, I'm starting to believe he can do a good job but in the end only after he wins (if he does) will we see what he is truly capable of.

Jean Todt is unlikely to win judging by his popularity lately, especially since Mosley tipped him as his successor, but he may benefit from support from Mosley's allies.

noel157
13th July 2009, 15:29
Vatanen is indeed taking his role serious and his discourse up to now has been encouraging, I'm starting to believe he can do a good job but in the end only after he wins (if he does) will we see what he is truly capable of.

Jean Todt is unlikely to win judging by his popularity lately, especially since Mosley tipped him as his successor, but he may benefit from support from Mosley's allies.

And Mosley has plenty of allies.....
Ari's lack of F1/circuit experience may go against him but it would be good to see him get the presidency. Moseley was a big improvement on Belestre but there is plenty of space for more improvement and I think Ari would offer a breath of fresh air.

MJW
13th July 2009, 16:36
Ari's lack of F1/circuit experience may go against him but it would be good to see him get the presidency. Moseley was a big improvement on Belestre but there is plenty of space for more improvement and I think Ari would offer a breath of fresh air.
Dont know if Ari's lack of F1 / circuit racing knowledge would go against him. Provided the ego's in FOTA &F1 are allowed to operate without the interfereance that Max has been doing of late, dressed up as concers for overspending but to mask his 'desire to control and dictate to large car manufacturers and teams, I think it would actually help Ari's cause.

AndyRAC
13th July 2009, 20:40

Why should his lack of F1/Circuit experience go against him? Remember, as Ari said on Saturday, it's the FiA, not the F1A - it's about time people, especially in F1 remembered that.
Max knew virtually zero about Rallying when he got in, amd hasn't done a great deal to dispel that thought.
I know Balestre wasn't perfect, in fact, he was far from it - however, he wasn't in thrall to F1 as Max is. If you remember, while F1 was still No1, it was no were near as big as it is now - WRC, WSC were good healthy series. Now look, Max/Bernie had history, and became a 'double-act' and F1 has grown out of all recognition - while the other Motorsports have died/withered. Strange, that.....isn't it?

Spud
13th July 2009, 23:44

Sounds reasonable to me Spoosh....

WRCfan
16th July 2009, 06:16
I heard Jean Todt is not even officially in the running for the position. Vatanen is the only one who has officially signed up to run for the position of FIA president.

Woodeye
16th July 2009, 06:19
I just need to comment this a bit. Even though Vatanen has spend his time in Bryssel and in politics doesn't necessarily mean that he can do something. At least I don't know what he has DONE there during the 2 season in EU parliament. It was by the way the french who chose him there, not finns.

Before the EU selections this year in europe Vatanen was a candidate for EU parliament in Finland. But after saying things like "global warming is the biggest mass hoax after stalinism" and "it's good if the climate gets warmer because then people won't get sick all the time" he wasn't selected (suprise, suprise)

My vote goes for Jean Todt.

Tomi
16th July 2009, 06:58
I just need to comment this a bit. Even though Vatanen has spend his time in Bryssel and in politics doesn't necessarily mean that he can do something. At least I don't know what he has DONE there during the 2 season in EU parliament. It was by the way the french who chose him there, not finns.

Before the EU selections this year in europe Vatanen was a candidate for EU parliament in Finland. But after saying things like "global warming is the biggest mass hoax after stalinism" and "it's good if the climate gets warmer because then people won't get sick all the time" he wasn't selected (suprise, suprise)

Actually the finns elected him the first time and the french the second but thats the same, else I think the same way as you, also some comments he made about his view of future rallying after he joined the ISC board, showed that he has drifted quite far from rallying and reality as well.
Jean Todt would get my vote aswell, but I'm afraid that there will be some other candidate who gets the job.

Mauri A
16th July 2009, 14:53
I just need to comment this a bit. Even though Vatanen has spend his time in Bryssel and in politics doesn't necessarily mean that he can do something. At least I don't know what he has DONE there during the 2 season in EU parliament.

So, my fellow Finns, Woodeye and Tomi, Jean Todt will be elected with your two votes! You do not know what Ari has done in EU, so what.
I happen to know both Jean and Ari personally and both are very respectful persons in my mind. The only problem is that if Todt is elected, will Mosley be behind pulling the ropes?

Tomi
16th July 2009, 17:00
So, my fellow Finns, Woodeye and Tomi, Jean Todt will be elected with your two votes! You do not know what Ari has done in EU, so what.
I happen to know both Jean and Ari personally and both are very respectful persons in my mind. The only problem is that if Todt is elected, will Mosley be behind pulling the ropes?

I know Ari from long time ago too, and I have to say the guy has changed quite alot, what comes to his doings in EU, well the French did not want him on their list, and the Finns did not re-elect him, so propably not much.

seb_sh
16th July 2009, 21:19

I doubt Todt would stand to be Mosley's puppet but you never know.

I'm a bit surprised about what finns are saying about Vatanen, can you give some examples of what he said in regards to his view on rallying or motorsports? I can't remember reading anything about that.

Sulland
4th August 2009, 22:17
In FIA Vatanen will be fresh blood, that i think the need.

A good reason not to vote Todt is that Mosely have given him his thumbs up, another one is that Vatanen only have background from Rally, and hopefully have a sound head on his shoulder.

I think Todt is to much part of the F1 establishment, and would concentrate his efforts there, even if he comes from Rally a long time ago.

The challenge is more than the leader, it is the civil servants in the organization. That is where the real power lies ! (Remember the Yes Mr Priminister series ?)

MJW
5th August 2009, 10:04
Quite ironic if Todt gets the Presidency as I remember the battles between Emperor Bocassa of FIA and Napoleon of the Sands - as the war between Balestre (previous FIA President to Mosely) and Todt after the banning of Group B declined to name calling- Sadly I wont get a vote in this but if I did it would definately be for Ari.
Todt has Prost in this cabinet, I dont like the way things are building in 'that camp'