PDA

View Full Version : wrc.com

blissard
4th July 2009, 13:31
Ok, I need to get this out of my system. :|

The WRC should have a better and nicer looking website. The current site is just a big mess, with huge ads everywhere, and about 300 different colours, black borders, white borders, orange borders, purple borders...!

Videos starting automatically is rather annoying, even more so since they are on ALL pages (main, news, wrc extra, wrc tv...) except "Rallies".

Look at formula1.com, how it can be done.

J4MIE
4th July 2009, 14:44

The WRC should have a better and nicer looking website. The current site is just a big mess, with huge ads everywhere, and about 300 different colours, black borders, white borders, orange borders, purple borders...!

Totally agree! :up:

Videos starting automatically is rather annoying, even more so since they are on ALL pages (main, news, wrc extra, wrc tv...) except "Rallies".

This particularly annoys me, it must cost them lots of extra bandwidth as well. Just don't understand how they could do this.

Which is why I just don't visit :)

HaCo
4th July 2009, 15:01
Formula1.com is ok. I like there racedashboard very well.

I think they should make work of something like virtual spectator, maybe a simpler version where you can see the maps of the stages in google maps (or earth) and where you can see the cars as dots. With the split points shown on the maps and the splittimes next to it. (Something anaolg is almost standard in Czech rally's).

If live video is too hard (which I can understand), why not place some pics, almost realtime, on the stages. There are so many photographers next to the stage, give them a phone with GPRS and they can upload it instantaneously.

With the internet you can really make great things, pitty that WRC doesn't do it.

alexlake
4th July 2009, 15:57

Look at formula1.com, how it can be done.

agree with the ads thing, and how I have to watch an advert for peugeot everytime :rolleyes:

JFL
4th July 2009, 17:53
At least its free now, that was not the case earlier.. Just get rid of the automatic videos, and a littlebit refreshed look.. It should be ok.. In some rallies the local/national tv company send live stages.. maybe a little teamwork there??

Motorsportfun
4th July 2009, 21:30
At least its free now, that was not the case earlier.. Just get rid of the automatic videos, and a littlebit refreshed look.. It should be ok.

The WRC has a lot of sponsors now, from Abu Dhabi to Airwaves. It MUST remain free, but with a way better website. They have to see IndyCar.com, F1.com, GP2Series.com, FiaWTCC.com, etc...
...also quite a lot Event websites MUST create better websites. Ireland has done a good job (the fan-onboards were sooo funny!), also for Norway, Portugal (videos of the spectators area, etc...), Finland and Australia. ;)

In some rallies the local/national tv company send live stages.. maybe a little teamwork there??

Was talking about tv coverage just a week ago in an Italian forum (http://www.rallylink.it/forum/showthread.php?t=3017). The portoguese tv (ATP) has done a brilliant job during this year's event. Look at this: it's better than Eurosport's IRC live stages too! Look at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZx6GN65fNU

It has ALL that a live-stage needs, except the on-board cameras and telemetry animated graphics (similar to Formula 1, though):

> Wes-cam from Helicopter
> TWO Jimmy-Jib cameras (looks X Games coverage!!)
> Small and non-invasive graphics (although they used clear-blue, it looks less "rough" than actual graphics)
> THIRTEEN cameras (12 on the special stage and 1 at the stop-line for interviews)

Also for the promotional side, they done a very good job. Look at the advertising panels near the road. They're quite better than actual "banners", looks sails! :rolleyes:

blissard
6th July 2009, 10:39
I think the Nürburgring 24H had some kinda live telemetry animation thing going on on their website this year. So you could follow the cars around the track. Maybe LeMans too? I didn't check.