PDA

View Full Version : Dave TV coverage is crap

Langdale Forest
28th June 2009, 19:05
Well, look at the coverage we had today. With the hairy bikers roasting some chicken for petter Solberg, it is now absoluty beyond a joke.

There is never enough proper footage and about 10 minetes is taken up with Niel Cole wearing some stupid hats.

Soon I will call the proggramme World Roasting Chickens

Jake Stephens
1st July 2009, 00:43
I second that

AndyRAC
1st July 2009, 08:01
While I agree, we have to face up to reality. None of the 'Normal/Free-to-air' are interested in showing the WRC - there isn't a market/audience for it. As a result, Dave are the only ones who would take it - Dave is an entertainment channel, therefore adds 'entertainment sectors' to the programme - which is probably cheaper than taking the whole ISC content. Whilst that might not make it right, we should be grateful for small mercies.

Langdale Forest
8th September 2009, 18:25
Just watched the recorded coverage from Italy 2007 when the coverage was good, the coverage is not even worth recording now.

Daniel
9th September 2009, 11:14
Just watched the recorded coverage from Italy 2007 when the coverage was good, the coverage is not even worth recording now.
Yeah but they didn't have some unknown moron walking through countryside on that coverage now did they?

MrJan
9th September 2009, 12:18
I'm more bothered by the awful camera work that ISC role out. Rather than getting close to the cars I'd far rather that shots were taken from far back so we can see what's happening. The 'entertainment' bits are by the by, I thought that Ed Leigh was alright on it and made much more sense than earlier in the season when they had Sean Hughes (he used to be on Buzzcocks) and that stupid 'comedienne' who was less funny than my shoe.

And good coverage in 2007? I must have missed that because it's been s*** for ages now. Which season had the irritating voice over woman?

Daniel
9th September 2009, 12:33
I'm more bothered by the awful camera work that ISC role out. Rather than getting close to the cars I'd far rather that shots were taken from far back so we can see what's happening. The 'entertainment' bits are by the by, I thought that Ed Leigh was alright on it and made much more sense than earlier in the season when they had Sean Hughes (he used to be on Buzzcocks) and that stupid 'comedienne' who was less funny than my shoe.

And good coverage in 2007? I must have missed that because it's been s*** for ages now. Which season had the irritating voice over woman?
Better known as Becs :p

I can't remember exactly when the change was but there was just a point where the photography got really crappy and the commentary just as bad.

Tomi
9th September 2009, 12:46

I can't remember exactly when the change was but there was just a point where the photography got really crappy

Might be at the time YLE stopped collaborate with ISC, after that they had to find out where put the cam on their own.

Daniel
9th September 2009, 13:00
Might be at the time YLE stopped collaborate with ISC, after that they had to find out where put the cam on their own.
That could explain it.

Allyc85
9th September 2009, 16:05
The coverage of last week ends rally was shocking. Surely it wouldnt have been too hard to fit a proper report in at the end of the penalties given to the Citreons, rather than some random bloke talking over the end credits!

Langdale Forest
9th September 2009, 20:12
The coverage of last week ends rally was shocking. Surely it wouldnt have been too hard to fit a proper report in at the end of the penalties given to the Citreons, rather than some random bloke talking over the end credits!

I agree with that, it would have been more proffesinol to have made an announcemant after the credits have finished.

Langdale Forest
9th September 2009, 20:13
Which season had the irritating voice over woman?

That was 2006.

Daniel
9th September 2009, 20:14
I agree with that, it would have been more proffesinol to have made an announcemant after the credits have finished.
I disagree. Personally I thought the fact that they didn't really mention the penalties was funnier than all the attempts at humour in the program. Why can't they just have a guy holding a microphone and talking?

RS
9th September 2009, 21:38

In front of the sponsor banners apparently.

Daniel
9th September 2009, 23:58
Heh so true RS :)

tmx
10th September 2009, 05:58
I agree with that, it would have been more proffesinol to have made an announcemant after the credits have finished. Need time for the commercials.

I actually like the female voice. Isn't she the same person doing the WRC Radio right now?

Paul King seems to say extremely obvious things and shock you on purpose before the driver crashes to ruin the moment.

Daniel
10th September 2009, 07:51
Need time for the commercials.

I actually like the female voice. Isn't she the same person doing the WRC Radio right now?

Paul King seems to say extremely obvious things and shock you on purpose before the driver crashes to ruin the moment.
Tbh there's nothing wrong with Bec's voice. It was just the fact that she was the first person given the live scripts IIRC.

AndyRAC
10th September 2009, 08:08
Need time for the commercials.

It wasn't funny when they started doing it, and it's not funny now, pathetic,..." Oh look Latvala has gone off, that's disasterous for the Finn.."

wrc_flipper
10th September 2009, 18:49

I can't remember exactly when the change was but there was just a point where the photography got really crappy and the commentary just as bad.

Actually it was Issy Clarke, who now does 5live football in the uk.

Daniel
10th September 2009, 18:54
Actually it was Issy Clarke, who now does 5live football in the uk.
Are you sure? I'm very much certain it's Becs?

wrc_flipper
10th September 2009, 18:58
Are you sure? I'm very much certain it's Becs?

Becs does the Eurosport voice overs, but Issy was the female voice over on ITV4 with Paul King.

Daniel
10th September 2009, 23:06
Ah, I've always watched Eurosport or the Eurosport based coverage in Oz

Langdale Forest
5th October 2009, 07:23
Once again, showing the height of Matthew Wilson's capability in winning a go-cart race.

I will probably complain to Dave now. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

tmx
5th October 2009, 08:00
I elected to miss it, you'll have to describe to coverage to me. Did Matthew had a go-cart race and won?

AndyRAC
5th October 2009, 08:16
Once again, showing the height of Matthew Wilson's capability in winning a go-cart race.

I will probably complain to Dave now. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

On one of the other forums, they defend him to the hilt.....

noel157
5th October 2009, 11:08
I missed Dave this week and after a minute checking if it was repeated I'm glad to say I could not find out.

But I did catch Eurosport and the joy of listening to Paul King sounding ever so surprised when something he knew had happened did happen. I can just imagine the script that he reads-
"Yes, Loeb beats the target time" (raise your voice and sound excited and surprised)......

Pinto
5th October 2009, 14:02
im a sucker and admit i will sit down and watch daves coverage and yes i give out and yes its my own choice but the one thing its got going for it is its time slot at Six on a sunday evening its the first chance to see any of the sundays coverage,but then its allways a let down i know its based at a more mainstream audience more so than us hardcore rallying people and they use Matt Wilson cause hes there only full time driver in the WRC but you take these guests most of them couldnt care if there was a rally going on like that dude yesterday he more or less admited he came along for the free few days in spain
Neil is doing less and less interveiws than before ok his best friend in the world Gigi isnt about but hes not even interveiwing matt wilson during the event anymore.
I have to rely on the dave coverage and the eurospot coverage because the irish broadcasters dont care about rallying

Langdale Forest
23rd October 2009, 17:01
Hopefully Dave does not broardcast the WRC next year.
They should put it back to ITV4 if possible.

MJW
23rd October 2009, 19:37
Had a good 30 minute programme from Ralio+ (Welsh TV) IF only the "other" channels did it like this. And by the way I though ISC were a global promoter - this event IS NOT BEING PROMOTED AS IT SHOULD. No wonder the sponsor and organiser are at a legal dispute. Shame on ISC, Mainstream coverage is non existant!

Langdale Forest
24th October 2009, 10:54
Dave is a repeat channel, therefore it cannot do new programmes properley.

whereschris
25th October 2009, 16:01
after seeing S4C coverage of rally gb (which I couldn't understand) i have to agree that Daves coverage is pretty poor. Thank goodness Dave coverage is on mainstream tv but they could make so much more of the one hour slot. S4c had helicopter shots that I've never seen on Eurosport or Dave. Why not?!!

I was at Halfway yesterday near to Dixies corner and they had Niel cole and Dom Jolley "commentating"! It was bloody annoying and went down like a lead baloon with the crowd. Just a total waste of time and effort.

Northern Monkey
25th October 2009, 18:24
Well 21 minutes in and we've seen Alan Shearer go for a ride and now have Dom Jolly doing handbrake turns in a car park. What about some actual action? Roll on the BBC Wales effort....

whereschris
25th October 2009, 18:56
can't believe that they showed their "commentry"!

Langdale Forest
25th October 2009, 19:55
Once again, a total and utterley s*** attempt from Dave at makeing a new programme. :mad:

This time I am going to complain to Dave. :D :D :D

AndyRAC
25th October 2009, 21:57
Once again, a total and utterley s*** attempt from Dave at makeing a new programme. :mad:

This time I am going to complain to Dave. :D :D :D

Complain, but remember, no other British TV station is intereste in the WRC. You only had to look at the lack of National coverage of RallyGB....... :mad:

BDunnell
25th October 2009, 23:07
I suddenly remembered that the event was taking place this weekend and actually watched the Dave coverage. It was, and I'm not exaggerating here, by a very long way the worst TV coverage of a 'major' sporting event I have ever watched in the UK. There were no redeeming features at all, except the ending of the programme after an hour and the chance that gave to put Countryfile or something on.

whereschris
26th October 2009, 08:17
You're right AndyRAC. It's such a shame that no other TV terrestrial station broadcast it. I can't understand the lack of publicity for the evnt though. i've seen the advert on the rally gb website but not seen it on tv anywhere - not even during rallying programmes.

Langdale Forest
26th October 2009, 16:17
In a dream world you would have 2 houres of TV coverage with no adverts and the full coverage of the top 20/PWRC/JWRC and any other notable class leaders, but unfortunatley there is too mutch rubbish on TV in this day and age for that to happen.

If I took over Dave that is what I would do!!!!

Pinto
27th October 2009, 01:40
i watched rallio's coverage with subtitles and i must say fair play to them neil cole id want to spend a day or two with them

Simmi
27th October 2009, 10:51
I just dont think it sells the series to get in all these people who clearly just dont want to be there. And the fact the show literally hinges on these guests is just horrible.

And I wonder how pissed off those people must have been at the end of Port Talbot to have their view blocked by Rupert Grint plus camera crew. Those sheep pens literally make you feel small/insignificant/emasculated.

Larry_Japan
27th October 2009, 11:18
Sounds like the Dave show on Sunday brought in viewing figures almost twice any other WRC event this year, and considerably more than the ITV4 highlights shows ever did... We can moan as much as we want, but the "star" guests bring viewers who otherwise wouldn't know rallying even existed. And in the absence of a Colin or Burns, or any real promotion by ISC or FIA, that's the only thing giving the sport a mainstream footprint in GB right now...

And Simmi - I spoke to a marshalling friend who was at that spectator point in SS15, who told me those fans were totally happy & amazed to get pictures & autographs with Ron Weasley and still saw amazing action.

BDunnell
27th October 2009, 11:33
We can moan as much as we want, but the "star" guests bring viewers who otherwise wouldn't know rallying even existed.

Do they really, though? Did anyone tune in knowing they were going to see Rupert Grint?

Simmi
27th October 2009, 14:21
And Simmi - I spoke to a marshalling friend who was at that spectator point in SS15, who told me those fans were totally happy & amazed to get pictures & autographs with Ron Weasley and still saw amazing action.

Glad to hear it. They are obviously more understanding/accomodating/star struck then I would have been. I assume none of them wanted to get a picture of Loeb on the apex of that corner instead.

MrJan
27th October 2009, 14:32
Glad to hear it. They are obviously more understanding/accomodating/star struck then I would have been. I assume none of them wanted to get a picture of Loeb on the apex of that corner instead.

:up: I'd have been well pissed off having waited in the rain for ages and then have camera crew and two numpties stood in the way, especially as the pen is already miles from the apex anyway.

Macd
27th October 2009, 17:04
Rally GB Coverage was Sh*t. I hope that dave loses the rights for next year and that we can go back to channel 4
On a more amusing note
http://i33.tinypic.com/24uxidg.jpg

Langdale Forest
27th October 2009, 20:13
I hope that GIRRAFE eats DAVE!

Langdale Forest
14th February 2010, 20:22
The coverage today was not perfect, still a few pointless features, but more action but they did Not show Mikklesen or Otsberg. :(

The most stupid thing that Mr. Cole said was that Matthew Wilson was challenging for podium places this year. :rolleyes:

TMorel
14th February 2010, 20:24
I thought he said that Wilsons plan was to be on the podium this year, could be seen to be a bit of a dig.

Macd
14th February 2010, 20:58
I thought he said that Wilsons plan was to be on the podium this year, could be seen to be a bit of a dig.

Thats been Wilsons plan for the last five year programme......

Langdale Forest
14th February 2010, 21:00
Probably the most optimistic plan ever in the history of the WRC.

tolis
14th February 2010, 21:09
Did Dave show any coverage of SWRC?

Langdale Forest
14th February 2010, 21:12
No S2000 cars whatsoever.

MrJan
14th February 2010, 21:24
Would expect the SWRC cars to be shown next week, sort of how they did PWRC and JWRC last year :)

Langdale Forest
14th February 2010, 21:25
Is there a new Dave TV show every Sunday now?

MrJan
14th February 2010, 23:02
Can't say that none of them will be repeats but they showed some sort of WRC programme pretty much every week last year.

manta400
14th February 2010, 23:49
ive hit series link with Sky so it seems every Sunday, i thought it was better than motors Tv which was S**t

Mitch555
15th February 2010, 12:07
In reality, the coverage has not been all that good since 2002. Best for me was when the coverage was like this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryiibTkARvA

Commentator was good, told the story of the rally, did not pretend that every minute was live. They didn't overkill on the virtual spectator (best ever use was showing how much a spin or overshoot cost or how good the cars accelerated in Sweden 03, rather than this, If Loeb, Hirvonen and Sordo all started at the same time), its good technology, but I want to see the real action.

I also don't want to be told "Look at Hirvonen here, as he charges through the stage, totally committed, you can hear his co driver Jarmo Lethinen reciting the pace notes accurately. This is top stuff by the Finn" then they cut to another shot and you don't actually get to watch any of the onboard without talking over it... The telemetry also is starting to get old. It was done nicely in 2003, not a overboard analog dash in the middle of the screen....
What did I like about the coverage? They had a helicopter "The Abu Dhabi Eye in the Sky" Making it sound all new. Shame they didnt telecast live video over the internet like they did in Australia and New Zealand in 2005/06. I go watch IRC's videos on their website, and its great.

I have nearly every rally recorded from the start of 2002, and I still watch the rallies from 2002 and 2003. But hardly anything new (other than Rally Australia local coverage). ANd why do I watch the older stuff. Its because they told a great story of the rally and focused on most of the WRC guys, not just the top 2 battling it out.

Simmi
16th February 2010, 18:20
Just watching this back now. Taking into account the constraints the show is under (to appeal to a wider audience) it is good. They actually realise the merits of showing the cars in 'action'. They showed more stage-side exterior and heli cam in half an hour then Motors did in 3.

What the show did (despite its flaws) was actually capture the storylines from the WRC. It made you feel like you were there which Motors did not do with its numb and detached coverage. They explained things that Motors barely touched upon. They showed more of the leading drivers. Better picture quality. I didn't feel like I was about to nod off etc.

Basically in a nutshell it sh*t on the Motors stuff from a great height. Hopefully it got a few viewers so they dont feel the need to fill up the remainder of the year with celebs.

Langdale Forest
21st February 2010, 18:06
Another thing that really annoyes me about Dave is that they keep repeating Top Gear, which is good, but I would expect them to show some old rally repeats and prehaps show SWRC/PWRC/JWRC on a seperate programme because they have enough time to do so in.

Sometimes I referre to Dave as a repeat channel, because almost all of it is repeats and they do not have a clue how to make a new programme. :mad:

gravelman
21st February 2010, 21:18
As Alan Partridge might say; "No no no no, stop getting rallying wrong!!"

cannyboy
22nd February 2010, 18:10
Dave's coverage was pretty good - they make a proper show of it.

Motors just showed 30 mins of in car camera which gave no impression of speed, and the commentator sounded asleep.

EavesFan09
24th February 2010, 10:26
For me, who doesn't have cable/satelite, it is either Dave or nothing at all and forgo any notion of supporting the WRC.

I think it is briliant when you bear in mind there is absolutely nothing whatsoever anywhere else on digital or terrestrial TV it can be compared to.

Like the very first post says, "be thankful for small mercies".

Langdale Forest
24th February 2010, 10:56
I agree, but things were better with ITV4 in 2007.

Langdale Forest
28th February 2010, 17:11
A very good 'Access all aread' this afternoon. :)

They showed the WRC & SWRC from Sweeden 2010 and they had a roundup of the Middle East and Finnish championships as well as Mexico prreviews and a roundup of what happend there in 2005. :)

Let's hope this continues! :)

Doon
28th February 2010, 20:31
Yeh it thought it was good too. Enjoyed the Citroen factory tour, S-WRC, and liked how they are covering other championships, although we only saw shots of Raikkonen on the Arctic Rally. Overall was an improvement on last year though.

MrJan
28th February 2010, 20:44
I really like that they plan to mention national championships as it's an area I tend not to follow. Even if it's only a 1 minute round up it will be interesting to see :up:

EavesFan09
5th March 2010, 13:32
Yeh it thought it was good too. Enjoyed the Citroen factory tour, S-WRC, and liked how they are covering other championships, although we only saw shots of Raikkonen on the Arctic Rally. Overall was an improvement on last year though.

The tourguide said that the area she is standing in is where the 2011 car will be but I didn't quite catch what she said. Did she give away the model they will use?

TMorel
18th April 2010, 18:50
Probably in a minority here, but I'm really enjoying Daves so far this year, especially the coverage of Turkey.
The pacenote comparison was interesting, some good interviews regarding tyre choices for the mixed surface section plus showing the crews at the side of the road adjusting the ridehight/pressures etc and the mix of onboard / external cameras wasn't bad either.
Techie enough for me but also holding my mums attention from a "human interest" aspect.

Langdale Forest
18th April 2010, 19:21
The coverage keeps getting better, the only problem I can think of is that they didn't show Dennis Kuipers or Aaron Burkart, who both finished in the points.

EavesFan09
18th April 2010, 19:37
Probably in a minority here, but I'm really enjoying Daves so far this year, especially the coverage of Turkey.
The pacenote comparison was interesting, some good interviews regarding tyre choices for the mixed surface section plus showing the crews at the side of the road adjusting the ridehight/pressures etc and the mix of onboard / external cameras wasn't bad either.
Techie enough for me but also holding my mums attention from a "human interest" aspect.

I am one who is with you.

Another good things is you get to see it repeated on Dave ja vu and again on Monday and also WRC: Access All Areas.

WRCMAD Sean
19th April 2010, 12:56
I personal think they could extend to time slot to two hours easy, more onboard and stage action. Or a hour for each day, all they would be pushing aside is ****ting repeats of topgear!

WRCMAD Sean
19th April 2010, 12:58
I agree that the turkey one was very entertaining although i think they should extend there time slot.

EavesFan09
19th April 2010, 13:21
I personal think they could extend to time slot to two hours easy, more onboard and stage action. Or a hour for each day, all they would be pushing aside is ****ting repeats of topgear!

Not to mention Fifth Gear too. We have seen them all a million times. Why not give it a rest? ITV3 showed classic 70's drama Upstairs, Downstairs from the first episode till the final and instead of repeating it over and over again have taken it off to be replaced by something else. Why can't Dave do the same with TG and FG? And then there is Dave ja vu. In case you aren't sick and tired of the endless repeats they show the endless repeats endlessley.
That would free up so much air-time to show the stuff that the audience really will like. Like the WRC.

Hey, why stop there?! Show the IRC too. And what about a studio based show with interviews and features? I would love to know more about the SWRC and drivers like Prokop and Sandell. What will happen to the PWRC next year? I assume they will pretty much do away with that since the WRC looks like going to exclusively S2000.

That would make Dave a proper channel and not one that shows repeats over and over again.

AndyRAC
19th April 2010, 13:32
Not to mention Fifth Gear too. We have seen them all a million times. Why not give it a rest? ITV3 showed classic 70's drama Upstairs, Downstairs from the first episode till the final and instead of repeating it over and over again have taken it off to be replaced by something else. Why can't Dave do the same with TG and FG? And then there is Dave ja vu. In case you aren't sick and tired of the endless repeats they show the endless repeats endlessley.
That would free up so much air-time to show the stuff that the audience really will like. Like the WRC.

Hey, why stop there?! Show the IRC too. And what about a studio based show with interviews and features? I would love to know more about the SWRC and drivers like Prokop and Sandell. What will happen to the PWRC next year? I assume they will pretty much do away with that since the WRC looks like going to exclusively S2000.

That would make Dave a proper channel and not one that shows repeats over and over again.

Quite simple - more people will watch repeats of TG/FG than WRC coverage. That's why ITV4 dropped it. But I agree with your points though.

EavesFan09
19th April 2010, 15:42
Quite simple - more people will watch repeats of TG/FG than WRC coverage. That's why ITV4 dropped it. But I agree with your points though.

I am aware naturally the ratings for Top Gear and Fifth Gear will be bigger because more will be watching them than the WRC since I get the impression the fans of TG or FG will outnumber us WRC fans.

But controllers of channels I think need to cater for all fans. And that likely means re-jigging the content of the week so to give and equal share to all types of show that the channell broadcasts. And I just get the impression that comedy panel shows like Mock The Week and motoring magazine shows like Top Gear make up more than 50% of Dave's weekly broadcast time.