PDA

View Full Version : Too pragmatic? Nah...

Hondo
27th June 2009, 13:13
I drowsed off into a wonderful nap on the sofa the other day with the TV on. Awakening from my slumber, I caught the last part of a program in progress. To shorten things, two friends (with each other, not me) had been found beaten to a pulp and shot in the head. They had been in the illegal narcotics business, making and selling Meth. Now they were dead and family and friends were wailing, hoping someone would come forward and turn in the killer or killers so justice could take it's course and they could get a bite of that trendy dish "closure".
I'm not very emotional and lean more to the pragmatic, realistic, practical, and cynical. The detectives seemed to feel their deaths were related to their dealings in the drug trade. I didn't feel sorry for those guys and didn't really feel too sorry for their families and friends since they all seemed to know their loved ones were involved in illegal activities. That's part of that game that they decided to play. On the flip side, I couldn't help but wonder how many people watching that show were dancing in their living rooms after having lost one or more of their own family members to the ravages of that particular narcotic. They were probably overjoyed to see a couple of meth dealers get what was coming to them.

I tend to feel the same way when I read about a car getting hit by a train. Trains are loud and rumbly and don't exactly sneak up on you. They can't chase you around, trying to hit you. They are generally confined to their tracks, meaning you have to be on their turf to get hit in the first place. barring an accidental derailment. You read about someone getting hit by a train and you kind of have to ask yourself "Did the world really need this person?". Do you really want to be out there with someone driving a 3000 pound block of steel around you, that doesn't know when a train is nearby?

Daniel
27th June 2009, 16:09
I drowsed off into a wonderful nap on the sofa the other day with the TV on. Awakening from my slumber, I caught the last part of a program in progress. To shorten things, two friends (with each other, not me) had been found beaten to a pulp and shot in the head. They had been in the illegal narcotics business, making and selling Meth. Now they were dead and family and friends were wailing, hoping someone would come forward and turn in the killer or killers so justice could take it's course and they could get a bite of that trendy dish "closure".
I'm not very emotional and lean more to the pragmatic, realistic, practical, and cynical. The detectives seemed to feel their deaths were related to their dealings in the drug trade. I didn't feel sorry for those guys and didn't really feel too sorry for their families and friends since they all seemed to know their loved ones were involved in illegal activities. That's part of that game that they decided to play. On the flip side, I couldn't help but wonder how many people watching that show were dancing in their living rooms after having lost one or more of their own family members to the ravages of that particular narcotic. They were probably overjoyed to see a couple of meth dealers get what was coming to them.

I tend to feel the same way when I read about a car getting hit by a train. Trains are loud and rumbly and don't exactly sneak up on you. They can't chase you around, trying to hit you. They are generally confined to their tracks, meaning you have to be on their turf to get hit in the first place. barring an accidental derailment. You read about someone getting hit by a train and you kind of have to ask yourself "Did the world really need this person?". Do you really want to be out there with someone driving a 3000 pound block of steel around you, that doesn't know when a train is nearby?
:up: People would usually call that sort of attitude cold but I couldn't agree more.

Garry Walker
28th June 2009, 15:03
Whenever a drugdealer is killed, I cant but feel happyness that there is one less dangerous person in the world

Hondo
28th June 2009, 16:07
It seemed to be a poor choice of "victims" for one of those help-us-find-the-guilty shows.

Hazell B
29th June 2009, 19:32
It seemed to be a poor choice of "victims" for one of those help-us-find-the-guilty shows.

I like the use of " when you say victims :p :

The only real victims in this kind of thing are the police forced to find out who did it and the tax payer who pays the police. A drug user and seller 'fell' down some stairs and died in a rented house near mine and it was the first and last time police turned up in numbers suitable for the job in hand - something we other law-abiding residents found very, very irksome. When we'd called the police to tell them drug dealing was happening, they hadn't turned up at all :mark: