PDA

View Full Version : Grieving for celebrities

Daniel
26th June 2009, 09:19
Is it just me or is it weird to see people on TV crying because someone they've probably never met and never knew has died?

Now don't get me wrong, the passing of Michael Jackson is a very sad thing and the world has lost a great pop star as well as a slightly odd person but I just find it deeply weird that there are people bawling their eyes out on public TV over the death of a celebrity who they most likely never knew, met or even talked to :mark:

ShiftingGears
26th June 2009, 09:28
Is it just me?

Nope.

Eki
26th June 2009, 09:32
Strange that fousto hasn't said anything about Michael Jackson's death. I believe he was a huge fan. Maybe he hasn't heard the news yet?

BDunnell
26th June 2009, 09:39
Is it just me or is it weird to see people on TV crying because someone they've probably never met and never knew has died?

No, not just you. I have nothing against people showing their emotions - I think the world would be a better place if more people were more open about such things - but when they are connected to someone only known to them through the media, this is strange. Worse, I think this sort of 'mob grief' is very damaging, just like anything that stifles genuine discussion.

Dave B
26th June 2009, 09:40
Is it just me ...
No.

I don't understand what people hope to gain by gathering outside a hospital, or Kensington Palace when Diana died, or whatever kebab shop Jade Goody frequented. I guess people like to wallow in self-pity, or maybe they can't find an expression for their grief; but it does seem mawkish and rather pointless.

Hey ho, each to their own I guess: they're not doing any harm.

BDunnell
26th June 2009, 09:44

I think it does do harm. It creates the notion of some sort of collectivity, which is just plain wrong. It leads to the sort of pointless statements made along the lines of 'the whole country is... (insert as appropriate)', when in fact the whole country never thinks as one about anything. Dissenting opinions are discouraged as being somehow inappropriate. That's not a good thing at all, and it goes not just for the deaths of celebrities, but also more important issues.

Mark
26th June 2009, 09:45

But then you get the sort who think that you are some kind of weirdo that you don't care that said person has passed away.

pino
26th June 2009, 09:48

Now don't get me wrong, the passing of Michael Jackson is a very sad thing and the world has lost a great pop star as well as a slightly odd person but I just find it deeply weird that there are people bawling their eyes out on public TV over the death of a celebrity who they most likely never knew, met or even talked to :mark:

Daniel, you don't need to meet/talk to someone to fall in love, I personally love many artist/sportmen eventhough I've never met them, and I will be devasted the day they will died.

Dave B
26th June 2009, 10:01
Daniel, you don't need to meet/talk to someone to fall in love, I personally love many artist/sportmen eventhough I've never met them, and I will be devasted the day they will died.
We were talking about this earlier. My heroes are all in the later stages of life, and inevitably they'll pass sooner rather than later, but no matter how shocked and upset I may be I cannot invisage myself turning out to any sort of public gathering in the way we've seen in the past.

As to the point about whether mass outpourings are harmful or stifle debate, I disagree. I think there is plenty of debate, and plenty of people choose to deal with the death in their own individual way. However this makes for pretty dull rolling news so unsurprisingly the media prefer to assume that because a few hundred/thousand people have gathered together, somehow that extrapolates to everyone being devastated.

I'd suggest it says more about lazy journalism than it does about the state of public feeling.

Eki
26th June 2009, 10:11
It's odd that when some in the Middle East were dancing on the streets after the 9/11 attacks, many in the West got angry. Now that many are dancing on the streets after Michael Jackson has died, nobody seems to mind.

CaptainRaiden
26th June 2009, 10:13

I agree completely. I mean you have no way of knowing how the said person or any artist might have affected those people with their music. Maybe, that artist's music was the only thing they had in their times of trouble. So, somehow they got attached to that person on another level. I don't think there is anything wrong with crying. A lot of people use crying to vent their frustration or sadness. Something that men often don't do, because we keep it all inside. But it's quite different for females.

It is wrong however, if they are only crocodile tears as an attempt to get your mug on TV, or to get some publicity. That is just sad then.

But if somebody wants to vent their sadness out by crying, and if fans of a particular artist (in this case, a musical legend) want to gather and mourn the loss of their most beloved star, then I don't know why the heck would anybody have a problem with this. Don't wanna watch it, turn the damn channel off. At least let them mourn in their own way, without judging their actions.

If it seems weird to you, then probably it's a complex emotion you probably never did or would understand. Maybe music is not as important to you, as it is to some people who ride very high on emotions. I've seen grown men shed a tear, probably not bawl, when Johnny Cash died after a long illness.

I don't think there's absolutely any problem with it, and I can't humanly understand why some would.

Mark
26th June 2009, 10:13
It's odd that when some in the Middle East were dancing on the streets after the 9/11 attacks, many in the West got angry. Now that many are dancing on the streets after Michael Jackson has died, nobody seems to mind.

Are they dancing, or moon walking? :D

big_sw2000
26th June 2009, 10:14
Well said Pino
I cried the day Senna and McRae passed away. What is wrong with that.
And i will probley cry the day Lance Armstrong dies. A hero of mine.

stevie_gerrard
26th June 2009, 10:15
I think that when you are an icon of music like Jacko, or Royalty like Princess Diana, it is understandable that you see people express their grief this way. When you are an icon of anything, with a worldwide fanbase, it feels like you've been on a journey with them, been through the highs and lows of their career, followed them throughout their lives. It's almost as if you do know them, like they feel like family. When you have got used to someone being in the world, and then they disappear from the world, it's hard to imagine a world without hearing about them.

I can certainly understand the position fans are in, and why they would do such a thing. I'm not sure whether i would ever feel the same way about celebrities.

Daniel
26th June 2009, 10:23
No, not just you. I have nothing against people showing their emotions - I think the world would be a better place if more people were more open about such things - but when they are connected to someone only known to them through the media, this is strange. Worse, I think this sort of 'mob grief' is very damaging, just like anything that stifles genuine discussion.

Agreed :up: I think it disconnects people from reality in a sense that they're trying to become part of someone elses reality. No doubt the Jackson family are very sad at the moment and I'm sure Michael's close friends are sad as well. I think we're taught throughout life to feel grief for people we've never met or only have a loose association with. I remember when I was in primary school a girl a couple of years below me died of some mystery illness and everyone was bawling their eyes out even though most of them had never had anything to do with her. I won't say what I said at the time because for an 11 year old it was bloody cold!

No.

I don't understand what people hope to gain by gathering outside a hospital, or Kensington Palace when Diana died, or whatever kebab shop Jade Goody frequented. I guess people like to wallow in self-pity, or maybe they can't find an expression for their grief; but it does seem mawkish and rather pointless.

Agreed. I do think as Ben says above that it does do some harm

I think love is a bit of a strong word to be using. I just think people need to take a step back and realise that without these people their lives would be pretty much the same or thereabouts. I always find it a bit strange when someone says celeb x changed my life or something similar. Why not find someone a bit closer home to idolise and take something positive from? Sure idols like Senna are good if you're Lewis Hamilton but for someone like myself who is in their mid 20's and who has a snowballs chance in hell of ever having a career in motorsport I find my parents to be better role models. They brought 3 boys up to be fairly nice people and they taught us the difference between right and wrong which seems a lot more than others got taught. Don't get me wrong it's nice to look up at the eagles soaring up there in the sky but the problem with that is that is people forget that you can have good role models far closer to home who can help you be a better you rather than dreaming about soaring up there with the eagles which only a small proportion of us will ever get to do.

Dave B
26th June 2009, 10:26
I'm more upset to notice that I spelled "envisage" incorrectly earlier than I was when Diana died, let's say that much.

V12
26th June 2009, 10:35
When Diana died in '97 (I was 14 at the time) I was basically indifferent to it all - I'd never known her, never met her, and it didn't impact on my life one bit.

The same goes for the likes of Jade Goody and Michael Jackson lately - I'm by no means happy or "dancing in the streets" as one person put it, it's just irrelevant to me, however cold that might sound.

BUT, three years prior to that when Senna died I was gutted, and I wasn't even a fan - he had been Mansell's arch enemy in my first years of watching the sport. Admittedly I was only 11 then and maybe a bit more sensitive to these things than at 14 onwards, but I felt like he was a part of my life even though like the aforementioned others, I'd never met him.

So in short I don't blame people for their reactions, just because I personally don't give a toss about that particular celeb. Each to their own.

CaptainRaiden
26th June 2009, 10:39
I think love is a bit of a strong word to be using. I just think people need to take a step back and realise that without these people their lives would be pretty much the same or thereabouts. I always find it a bit strange when someone says celeb x changed my life or something similar. Why not find someone a bit closer home to idolise and take something positive from? Sure idols like Senna are good if you're Lewis Hamilton but for someone like myself who is in their mid 20's and who has a snowballs chance in hell of ever having a career in motorsport I find my parents to be better role models. They brought 3 boys up to be fairly nice people and they taught us the difference between right and wrong which seems a lot more than others got taught. Don't get me wrong it's nice to look up at the eagles soaring up there in the sky but the problem with that is that is people forget that you can have good role models far closer to home who can help you be a better you rather than dreaming about soaring up there with the eagles which only a small proportion of us will ever get to do.

Seriously, you expect everyone to behave like you and have the same set of values? What about people who didn't have any parents, and no friends growing up? They just might have, probably turned to his music to find refuge, and are justifiably devastated at the loss of their friend. The rest of the technicalities don't matter here.

I mean it doesn't even have to be that grave of a situation for people to turn to any type of music to find peace. Some do it just for entertainment, or who knows for what reason. So what if they looked at him as their hero or role model or friend or whatever for whatever reason, and want to cry when he passed away? I still see no problem with it.

I think looking at the world through your own lens of life, and then expecting everybody else to think and do the same as yourself, have the same values, and look at role models as the same way as you, and then finding it "weird" if people act differently than you, I don't think that's quite right. Ever heard of the phrase, "Live and let live"?

pino
26th June 2009, 10:44

I didn't say, celebrities have changed my life, nor that I love them in the same way I love my wife/kids/friends etcc. I am just saying that you can love someone eventhough you've never met them, but I can accept others don't feel in the same way.

A.F.F.
26th June 2009, 10:50
I love you Michael.

And leave Britney alone!!!!

Mark
26th June 2009, 10:54
And leave Britney alone!!!!

She's next :p

BDunnell
26th June 2009, 10:55
So what if they looked at him as their hero or role model or friend or whatever for whatever reason, and want to cry when he passed away? I still see no problem with it.

I think looking at the world through your own lens of life, and then expecting everybody else to think and do the same as yourself, have the same values, and look at role models as the same way as you, and then finding it "weird" if people act differently than you, I don't think that's quite right. Ever heard of the phrase, "Live and let live"?

I would have thought that the statement 'Live and let live' should also apply to accepting the fact that there are those of us who find grieving for public figures bizarre and, to some extent, rather concerning.

Daniel
26th June 2009, 11:00
Seriously, you expect everyone to behave like you and have the same set of values? What about people who didn't have any parents, and no friends growing up? They just might have, probably turned to his music to find refuge, and are justifiably devastated at the loss of their friend. The rest of the technicalities don't matter here.

I mean it doesn't even have to be that grave of a situation for people to turn to any type of music to find peace. Some do it just for entertainment, or who knows for what reason. So what if they looked at him as their hero or role model or friend or whatever for whatever reason, and want to cry when he passed away? I still see no problem with it.

I don't expect people to think and do the same as me. I just observe things and point out what I feel about them :)

Of course there are people who don't have parents and so on buy why not latch onto a more achievable and meaningful role model for their life one who can make an actual difference to their life.

Think about it this way. If a real life role model who you look up to and get help and advice from died what effect would this have on you? Now imagine one of your celebrity idols dies and their death isn't widely reported or you miss the fact that it's happened. What impact would that have?

I didn't say, celebrities have changed my life, nor that I love them in the same way I love my wife/kids/friends etcc. I am just saying that you can love someone eventhough you've never met them, but I can accept others don't feel in the same way.

I didn't say you did Pino :) It was just a reference to some people who say things like that.

BDunnell
26th June 2009, 11:00
As to the point about whether mass outpourings are harmful or stifle debate, I disagree. I think there is plenty of debate, and plenty of people choose to deal with the death in their own individual way. However this makes for pretty dull rolling news so unsurprisingly the media prefer to assume that because a few hundred/thousand people have gathered together, somehow that extrapolates to everyone being devastated.

I'd suggest it says more about lazy journalism than it does about the state of public feeling.

Media coverage has a big part to play, of course, in that we are told that 'the country is united in...' and people of little brain think nothing of this. And, as I said, it goes not only for the deaths of celebrities, but also many other major stories with some sort of emotional element. Naturally, those emotions are utterly trite, hence the synthetic outrage (often on the part of the sort of people who are heard to moan about 'political correctness') at any satire or humour being drawn from the stories in question.

christophulus
26th June 2009, 11:08
I don't really understand the public grieving, but then again I've never been someone who has "heroes" in the same way other people do. It's tragic when people die, especially the toll on their family, but I don't recall getting that upset when celebrities die.

Family members is another matter.

Daniel
26th June 2009, 11:13
Media coverage has a big part to play, of course, in that we are told that 'the country is united in...' and people of little brain think nothing of this. And, as I said, it goes not only for the deaths of celebrities, but also many other major stories with some sort of emotional element. Naturally, those emotions are utterly trite, hence the synthetic outrage (often on the part of the sort of people who are heard to moan about 'political correctness') at any satire or humour being drawn from the stories in question.

Hypocrisy is everywhere isn't it? I love the term "synthetic outrage" :)

It's a pity Charlie Brooker isn't doing a series at the moment. I love his disrepectfully respectful attitude towards celebrities.

Excellent bit of Charlie

cWqvWFUj51k

CaptainRaiden
26th June 2009, 11:42
I would have thought that the statement 'Live and let live' should also apply to accepting the fact that there are those of us who find grieving for public figures bizarre and, to some extent, rather concerning.

Okay, I don't have a problem with you lot finding a completely normal human emotion "bizarre" or "weird", even if I may not understand why. Of course, you are free to do so since this is a free world.

However, I still don't understand the concerning part. What's so wrong?

BDunnell
26th June 2009, 11:57
Okay, I don't have a problem with you lot finding a completely normal human emotion "bizarre" or "weird", even if I may not understand why. Of course, you are free to do so since this is a free world.

It is a completely normal human emotion, when you know the person about whom you are emoting.

I think I've explained this several times in other posts.

Dave B
26th June 2009, 11:57

I personally think it's a perfecly normal human emotion when applied to somebody you know and love, but to apply the exact same emotion to a celebrity does strike me as strange.

There are a few people in the public eye who I care about, but I don't know them and wouldn't claim even friendship let alone love. When they inevitably pass I'll be sad, but I genuinely cannot understand what would drive an otherwise sane person to stand outside a hospital blubbing, or to travel to London to lay flowers for a stranger.

BDunnell
26th June 2009, 11:59
There are a few people in the public eye who I care about, but I don't know them and wouldn't claim even friendship let alone love. When they inevitably pass I'll be sad, but I genuinely cannot understand what would drive an otherwise sane person to stand outside a hospital blubbing, or to travel to London to lay flowers for a stranger.

Precisely. Personally, I found it sad when Alan Coren died, but I didn't feel the need to make a pilgrimage to Cricklewood.

Daniel
26th June 2009, 12:04
I personally think it's a perfecly normal human emotion when applied to somebody you know and love, but to apply the exact same emotion to a celebrity does strike me as strange.

I think when people see people doing it on TV the principle of monkey see monkey do seems to come into effect.

CaptainRaiden
26th June 2009, 12:22
It is a completely normal human emotion, when you know the person about whom you are emoting.

Don't you think that it can be possible that extremely emotional people get emotionally and passionately attached to an artist or a band and their music over the course of several years, because maybe they see them in a different and brighter light than you do? Or are you telling me that just because you are incapable of feeling like this, anybody else doing so is wrong?

It's the same as people who believe in God, they see him as a pillar of strength. Hey, I am an atheist and even I can understand that, and that's why I don't bother them with their religion, and go criticizing them, even if I don't agree with spending 3 hours in a church on a Sunday morning, when I could very well be sleeping or watching a race.

I think I've explained this several times in other posts.

What I gathered from your other posts is that you fear these mob grievings are represented in the media as your "whole country." I don't see what's wrong or what's the danger in that, as far as grieving for a celebrity goes. As someone said in this thread already, they are not harming anybody.

If the media tries to pass off a group idolizing a known terrorist as the "whole country," then THAT's dangerous.

markabilly
26th June 2009, 12:46
But then you get the sort who think that you are some kind of weirdo that you don't care that said person has passed away.

I am that "kind of weirdo" when it comes to MJ

As I said in the other thread, before poor Pino showed up so heartbroken out of his professed love for MJ and had it deleted, good riddance to jackson.

As a result, some children will now be much safer because of it.

When a no-name, poor guy overdoses on the street, no one cares, but oh my, michael is different, after all he could sing some great pop songs....

nevermind his child molesting, self abuse that lead him to try to turn himself white (literally) and all the rest.

Right before the first episode came to life, I had listened to a shrink at a seminar make the remark that he was a predator as he showed all the classic signs. Later after he moon walked out of the courtroom, I asked him what he thought, and he said, it will happen again...just look at neverland....he was right :mad:

Farah Fawcett passed on the same day, from natural causes, not some self inflicted drug overdose, and not only was she just as much a celebrity as him (many boys from the 70's had her famous poster up in their room) she lead a good life and was all around sweet person, :(

Not one post about her on this forum :(

So I can understand grieving for some public figures, but not for sicko-(except for the fact that he wasted the wealth from his talent)

bet those tickets would go for some big bucks on ebay for the concerts that never was

BDunnell
26th June 2009, 13:01
Don't you think that it can be possible that extremely emotional people get emotionally and passionately attached to an artist or a band and their music over the course of several years, because maybe they see them in a different and brighter light than you do? Or are you telling me that just because you are incapable of feeling like this, anybody else doing so is wrong?

Not wrong - just, in my opinion, inexplicable, because I think that one's deepest emotions should be reserved for those that one knows personally. Otherwise, I feel strongly that it devalues the emotions felt in relation to those to whom we are genuinely close.

What I gathered from your other posts is that you fear these mob grievings are represented in the media as your "whole country."

Not exactly. I said that such reactions help perpetuate and encourage the notion that suggesting the 'whole country' can ever be united in anything. It can't. The end result is that opinions that don't follow what is somehow held to be the 'whole country' norm are considered unacceptable, heartless or whatever. This includes deriving any humour or satire from such an event, which always happens and always will, but is branded 'sick' or 'tasteless' no matter whether it really is. I find all this highly unpleasant.

Daniel
26th June 2009, 13:08
Farah Fawcett passed on the same day, from natural causes, not some self inflicted drug overdose, and not only was she just as much a celebrity as him (many boys from the 70's had her famous poster up in their room) she lead a good life and was all around sweet person, :(

You have to remember that Farrah Fawcett is probably not nearly as famous outside of the US as she is in the US. Jackson was a worldwide star and his work is more widely appreciated than that of Farrah.

Also, if you think there should be a thread for her then perhaps you should post one? :mark:

A.F.F.
26th June 2009, 13:24

That is not entirely true. There was a post about Farrah Fawcett but it's now deleted.

markabilly
26th June 2009, 13:29
That is not entirely true. There was a post about Farrah Fawcett but it's now deleted.
it was mine :D

Hazell B
26th June 2009, 15:22
Dissenting opinions are discouraged as being somehow inappropriate. That's not a good thing at all, and it goes not just for the deaths of celebrities, but also more important issues.

Um, like when I said George Best wouldn't be missed by me and the mob closed in?
Pathetic, it was.

Anyway, I'm sick of seeing Michael Jackson on the TV news channels today. I wouldn't mind seeing the REAL headlines padded out a bit instead of sobbing hangers-on and teary 'fans' being interviewed non-stop. If Jackson had a million die hard fans here in the UK, that still means he had about 60+ million non-fans. Even Wimbledon is being over shadowed by this news item :rolleyes:

Eki
26th June 2009, 15:29
Even Wimbledon is being over shadowed by this news item :rolleyes:
At least it's shadowed by something, now that it's not shadowed by rain.

Dave B
26th June 2009, 15:31
I've left the TV off today, but I hear that Sky still have their good old faithful "BREAKING NEWS" banner, some 15 hours after the official announcement.

That banner is as big a joke as the DFS sale - it never bloody ends.

Daniel
26th June 2009, 15:32
I've left the TV off today, but I hear that Sky still have their good old faithful "BREAKING NEWS" banner, some 15 hours after the official announcement.

That banner is as big a joke as the DFS sale - it never bloody ends.
Reminds me of Rugs a Million back in Perth :p

MfYtU_R2Ki4

elis
26th June 2009, 15:40
I'm not big on 'celeb's at all, but others are & in some way I can understand some reactions.

Ayrton Senna was my 'hero' for want of a better word. He was the reason I got into racing, a love that has carried on to this day. I was fortunate to have met him, chatted & shared a joke. When he died I was totally rocked, all that I knew & 'loved' about racing had at that moment been taken away from me.

I'm not one for public grief but his loss had such an impact on me. After the funeral I sent flowers asking if they could be placed on his grave. I was humbled to receive a hand written message from Niede his mother a while after the event, saying my wish had been fulfilled & that she had been touched by the gesture.

Sometimes I think some folks forget that at the end of the day celeb or not, they are all just people with families & as such still deserve an element of respect especially when the event is so raw.

I guess if you have a connection no matter how tenuous, to an artist, celeb, personality, then it's natural to grieve a little for the loss, personally though I'm not the kind to wail infront of a tv camera or gather at a makeshift shrine or whatever, Ayrton's loss was personal to me & although I wasn't alone in my sadness & grief.. that is how I coped with it, by being alone.

I couldn't get to Brasil, but several years later I went to the memorial monument at Estoril to him. I went alone & placed some flowers. That to me was the final closure on my chapter of grief.. though even to this day something reminds you & feel a pang in your chest. Some folks just have an impact on your life.

I'm waffling.. sorry! ;)

:)

26th June 2009, 16:04
I reckon Michael Jackson had a heart attack when he realised he'd not locked the door to Madeliene McCann's cell.

Dave B
26th June 2009, 16:17
Reminds me of Rugs a Million back in Perth :p

I see you Rugs a Million, and raise you SafeStyle UK.

I would search on YouTube but I fear for my retinas.

Daniel
26th June 2009, 17:10
I see you Rugs a Million, and raise you SafeStyle UK.

I would search on YouTube but I fear for my retinas.
I see your SafeStyle UK, raise you a Tim Shaw from Demtel :D

iiATDMHU7gc

BDunnell
26th June 2009, 17:23
Um, like when I said George Best wouldn't be missed by me and the mob closed in?

I can't remember if I had a go at you over that. If I did, I apologise, because doing so was wrong. But I don't recall it.

I wouldn't mind seeing the REAL headlines padded out a bit instead of sobbing hangers-on and teary 'fans' being interviewed non-stop.

Don't you realise? Celeb dies = all wars and famines stop for the day.

Daniel
26th June 2009, 17:44
I can't remember if I had a go at you over that. If I did, I apologise, because doing so was wrong. But I don't recall it.

Don't you realise? Celeb dies = all wars and famines stop for the day.
From what I remember of the George best thing it was complicated, there were people saying he deserved to die, that he didn't deserve another liver and other such things. Sadly the archive is gone so we can't bring it up.

driveace
26th June 2009, 18:12
I think the thing to remember,about Michael Jackson.whether you loved him or hated him ,is that mention his name ANYwhere in the world ,and people know of him,and his music.
Buddy Holly died all those years ago ,and his music lives on,and he was only in his early twenties ,with only 4 years as a rock musicion.
The death that REALLY hit me hard was the tragic death in 1986 of Henri Toivonen, but I knew him well as a friend and worked with him,and knew Pauli and Harri well
Pauli has now sadly passed away too !

BDunnell
26th June 2009, 18:50
From what I remember of the George best thing it was complicated, there were people saying he deserved to die, that he didn't deserve another liver and other such things. Sadly the archive is gone so we can't bring it up.

I think you're right. One thing I would never say is that anyone deserves to die. Celebrating someone's death is, after all, very different to not mourning it.

steve_spackman
26th June 2009, 21:55
Now that his friends and family have spent the last 2 days mourning his death, they will then turn their attention to his estate and whatever else he owns and see what they can grab from him now he has past away. Ive already heard reports about it. Pathetic

BeansBeansBeans
26th June 2009, 22:07
Nowadays, a high-profile celebrity death seems to lead to an outpouring of false grief and spite in equal measure. I'm as uncomfortable with both. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but why can't people treat such events with a bit of quiet dignity?

Daniel
26th June 2009, 22:22
Nowadays, a high-profile celebrity death seems to lead to an outpouring of false grief and spite in equal measure. I'm as uncomfortable with both. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but why can't people treat such events with a bit of quiet dignity?
Stiff upper lip eh wot wot?

BeansBeansBeans
26th June 2009, 22:28
Haha, there's a lot to be said for a stiff upper lip. Amidst all the Jade Goody hoo-hah, all the "She was an angel" and "Hope the chav bitch rots" I found it better to just not say owt. Nowadays, everyone thinks they have to have an opinion on everything, and publish it online. You won't catch me doing that.

Daniel
26th June 2009, 22:29
Haha, there's a lot to be said for a stiff upper lip. Amidst all the Jade Goody hoo-hah, all the "She was an angel" and "Hope the chav bitch rots" I found it better to just not say owt. Nowadays, everyone thinks they have to have an opinion on everything, and publish it online. You won't catch me doing that.
Very true. Sadly the internet gives any fool a voice. Even you or I :(

BeansBeansBeans
26th June 2009, 22:32
Very true. Sadly the internet gives any fool a voice. Even you or I :(

Well yes, I think we're probably part of the problem Daniel :p

Daniel
26th June 2009, 22:35
Well yes, I think we're probably part of the problem Daniel :p
Well we're not part of the solution that's for sure :p

markabilly
27th June 2009, 01:28
Now that his friends and family have spent the last 2 days mourning his death, they will then turn their attention to his estate and whatever else he owns and see what they can grab from him now he has past away. Ive already heard reports about it. Pathetic
No, :rotflmao: Very :crazy: funny :rotflmao: :roll:
jako sicko was so up the debts, like 400 million NET, the losers will have nothing to fuss over--the rights to his songs was all he had, and those are all gone, gone, gone :burnout:

Storm
29th June 2009, 06:55
Its not you alone Daniel.....I get fed up of all the celebrity crap on tv hence I don't watch it at all.

leopard
29th June 2009, 07:36
Mourning apply to everybody just losing their beloved ones, it may take times to recover feeling normal from the sadness. It can be seen also as the last respect to bid farewell, considered as something psychologically acceptable. I think the otherwise being happy when one of family died is against norms.
Perhaps they can't help crying, crying at common sense and shouldn't cry hysterically or protracted in the state of prolonged sadness.

Aside from personal life of Jacko that may be controversial, I enjoy and respect his dedication playing important role for music during his life.

Hazell B
29th June 2009, 19:39

No, but I well remember I didn't say any of the above but you still claimed I did :mark:

I have noticed that not many Jackson jokes are about. Maybe those who sent hundreds of Jade Goody, etc. ones via text and email are now a bit bored with passing the same sort of thing along this time. Perhaps it's a sign of the beginning of the end to mass non-stop talking about such matters?

Dave B
30th June 2009, 08:11
I have noticed that not many Jackson jokes are about.
Oh yes there are </panto>

I think I received my first one about half past midnight (UK time obviously) on the day he died, followed by about a dozen more of varying quality the next day.

Possibly the reason why they weren't as "popular" as the Jade ones is that most of them had been done to death while he was alive, based on his song titles and the child abuse allegations.

Anyway, it wasn't an overdose. Turns out it was hereditary: he had a faulty billie gene. :p

BeansBeansBeans
30th June 2009, 08:46
I loved Michael Jackson when I was a kid.

And he loved me too.

Mark
30th June 2009, 08:58
I loved Michael Jackson when I was a kid.

And he loved me too.

That's Bad.

Daniel
30th June 2009, 09:11
No, but I well remember I didn't say any of the above but you still claimed I did :mark:

I have noticed that not many Jackson jokes are about. Maybe those who sent hundreds of Jade Goody, etc. ones via text and email are now a bit bored with passing the same sort of thing along this time. Perhaps it's a sign of the beginning of the end to mass non-stop talking about such matters?
Hazell, that was almost 4 years ago..... you need to let go. No one remembers what was actually said so it's pretty silly referring back to it.

BeansBeansBeans
30th June 2009, 10:00
That's Bad.

Apparently you can wear what you want to the funeral

Doesn't matter if it's black or white.

Daniel
30th June 2009, 10:05

*sigh* :p At least I can use this against you for 4 years in the event of any arguments :D

A.F.F.
30th June 2009, 10:16

Hmmm... I dunno. Another part of me wants to wear white. I think I'm not alone thought...

BeansBeansBeans
30th June 2009, 10:23
*sigh* :p At least I can use this against you for 4 years in the event of any arguments :D

Relax.

They're just jokes, not bile.

Daniel
30th June 2009, 10:24
Relax.

They're just jokes, not bile.
Yeah but 4 years from now I can claim anything and dress it up as something far worse than it actually is :)

Mark
30th June 2009, 11:13
Yeah but 4 years from now I can claim anything and dress it up as something far worse than it actually is :)

You'll be made out to be some sort of smooth criminal.

A.F.F.
30th June 2009, 11:38

And you'll probably don't stop 'til you get enough.

BeansBeansBeans
30th June 2009, 11:41
Hazell, that was almost 4 years ago.

Yeah, it's HIStory.

Mark
30th June 2009, 11:45
Yeah, it's HIStory.

Just Beat it :mad:

BeansBeansBeans
30th June 2009, 11:50
Leave Me Alone!

Mark
30th June 2009, 11:53
Leave Me Alone!

What, you wanna be startin' something?!

Dave B
30th June 2009, 14:08
This thread is getting Dangerous.

Daniel
30th June 2009, 14:10
This thread is getting Dangerous.
You are not alone in thinking this :p

Daniel
30th June 2009, 14:13
Anyway getting back on topic am I the only one who felt a bit weird about the outpouring of grief for that Dirty Diana? :uhoh:

A.F.F.
30th June 2009, 14:36
No you're not. I wanted to scream.

markabilly
30th June 2009, 14:41
Anyway getting back on topic am I the only one who felt a bit weird about the outpouring of grief for that Dirty Diana? :uhoh:
i was sorry she was hurt, but OTOH, all this birthright because who mom and pop were......well if charles had been born poor, his abilities would have been about the level of a store clerk, and diana would have made a nice waitress at denny's resturants or something similar, but she dies and the whole world goes bonkers

:rolleyes:

Dave B
30th June 2009, 14:56
Of course: it's like goldy and silvery except it's made of iron... :erm:

Daniel, that's just Human Nature.

Daniel
30th June 2009, 15:13
Of course: it's like goldy and silvery except it's made of iron... :erm:

Daniel, that's just Human Nature.

Maybe it is but I think we should give Markadoofus One More Chance to get it.

Dave B
30th June 2009, 15:29
Anyway, where's Ben on this thread?

yodasarmpit
30th June 2009, 22:57
The Diana syndrome in full effect again.

It saddens me greatly the way people fawn over celebs, often criticising them until their death at which point the celeb (often, a no name Z list celeb) is elevated to sainthood.