PDA

View Full Version : Woman fined $1.9 mn for illegal download

race_director
22nd June 2009, 19:30
I do not know how much i will be fined if some one show's at my door. Billion's or Trillions :)

http://www.in.com/news/readnews-entertainment-news-woman-fined-19-mn-for-illegal-download-9680615-85382-hp.html

Tazio
22nd June 2009, 20:45
It seems a bit excessive :mark:
What's the fine for watching an F1 race on a pirated broadcast :p :

donKey jote
22nd June 2009, 20:52
ask justin :p :

Tazio
22nd June 2009, 21:01
ask justin :p :As my Mexican friends would say: "simon ese" :s mokin:

Jag_Warrior
22nd June 2009, 21:41
No matter where you stand on the issue, that award is completely ridiculous!!! She should have done it from China or Russia.

Wade91
22nd June 2009, 21:47
that verdict is awful

Tazio
22nd June 2009, 22:25
that verdict is awful

Wade....Wade,Wade,Wade,Wade,Wade,Wade,Wade,
The vedict is based in on very transparent, and fundamentally good law.
Now the penalty, or "sentence" I could understand you taking issue with.
Please take off the ear-bugs and listen to your instructor,
if you've had enough sense to remain in school!

Jag_Warrior
22nd June 2009, 22:27

He says he's being home schooled... but his mother doesn't have time to conduct his lessons. So it's up to us to edumacate him.

And so... here we are. :dozey:

Wade91
22nd June 2009, 22:32
Wade....Wade,Wade,Wade,Wade,Wade,Wade,Wade,
The vedict is based in on very transparent, and fundamentally good law.
Now the penalty, or "sentence" I could understand you taking issue with.
Please take off the ear-bugs and listen to your instructor,
what i mean is that fine is completly over the top

Tazio
22nd June 2009, 22:49
He says he's being home schooled... but his mother doesn't have time to conduct his lessons. So it's up to us to edumacate him.

OMG.
My daughter so thoroughly aced the standardized tests in 8th grade that we were contacted by Johns Hopkins University.
In a letter they stated they wanted to track her through High School with the eventual outcome being recruited for their School of Science.
Ha! I took care of the necessary paperwork. The next year her mother (my estranged wife) decided she was going to home school her.
She did this against my objections. Needless to say my daughter never attended Johns Hopkins.
She has, and I'm quite proud of her, graduated with honors with a B.S. in Engineering, plus has been offered Graduate school.
However she had to take a path through J.C. and received this degree at the age of 29.
Her mother knows she screwed up big-time, and admits it.
Let's hope for our friend on the forum's sake
that he can manage to succeed in spite of his mother's "best" intentions.

MrJan
22nd June 2009, 23:21

Do I get paid for that?

Jag_Warrior
23rd June 2009, 02:43
Do I get paid for that?

Yep. As a group, we are entitled to 10% of Wade's future earnings. I just called Rosenthal Jaguar and told them to reserve an XKR for me. How are you going to spend your money? :D

j/k Wade. You know we luv ya, man. :p :

MrJan
23rd June 2009, 08:25
How are you going to spend your money? :D

I've carefully weighed up the options and decided that I'll probably spend it on crack :s mokin:

Daniel
23rd June 2009, 11:14
Yep. As a group, we are entitled to 10% of Wade's future earnings. I just called Rosenthal Jaguar and told them to reserve an XKR for me. How are you going to spend your money? :D

j/k Wade. You know we luv ya, man. :p :
I'm going to buy myself a happy meal at McDonalds :)

veeten
23rd June 2009, 11:26

not makin' that '$300 mistake', eh Jag? ;) :p

local joke there, folks. :D

Rudy Tamasz
23rd June 2009, 12:24
I would love to hear the opinion of the artists whose songs she downloaded. I wonder whether it is any different from that of the recording companies.

schmenke
23rd June 2009, 14:39
"Thomas-Rasset was found guilty of having illegally downloaded music by No Doubt, Sheryl Crow, Gloria Estefan and Linkin Park."

Hardly worth the effort :p :

christophulus
23rd June 2009, 16:31
She's being made a scapegoat, no doubt, but if she illegally downloaded the songs then she should have to pay some sort of damages. Nowhere near $2m for 24 songs though!

Afraid I don't agree at all with piracy though. 79p or less is a reasonable price to pay for a legally downloaded song so she has little sympathy from me.

Drew
23rd June 2009, 17:31
"Thomas-Rasset was found guilty of having illegally downloaded music by No Doubt, Sheryl Crow, Gloria Estefan and Linkin Park."

Hardly worth the effort :p :

I think they should reduce the fine, just due to the humiliation caused by everybody knowing what she downloaded :rotflmao:

Roamy
23rd June 2009, 17:47
she is lucky she is not in saudi they would cut her freakin ears off.

Wade91
23rd June 2009, 19:07
OMG.
My daughter so thoroughly aced the standardized tests in 8th grade that we were contacted by Johns Hopkins University.
In a letter they stated they wanted to track her through High School with the eventual outcome being recruited for their School of Science.
Ha! I took care of the necessary paperwork. The next year her mother (my estranged wife) decided she was going to home school her.
She did this against my objections. Needless to say my daughter never attended Johns Hopkins.
She has, and I'm quite proud of her, graduated with honors with a B.S. in Engineering, plus has been offered Graduate school.
However she had to take a path through J.C. and received this degree at the age of 29.
Her mother knows she screwed up big-time, and admits it.
Let's hope for our friend on the forum's sake
that he can manage to succeed in spite of his mother's "best" intentions.
well, i love being homeschooled becouse i never have to study :D

Wade91
23rd June 2009, 19:09
going by the coast it would be to leagaly download a song, the fine should have been around $24 :s

Daniel
23rd June 2009, 19:11
well, i love being homeschooled becouse i never have to study or interact with people in school and gain any sort of lifeskills, all of which would make me a more useful member of society :D

Couldn't agree more with you :up:

Jag_Warrior
23rd June 2009, 20:35
A doctor amputated the wrong leg on a diabetic patient and the award wasn't this high. This woman could have stolen some large quantity of CD's from a department store and likely wouldn't have been fined more than $1000. This is one of the most ridiculous judgments I have ever heard of. Whether it was a judge or jury that came up with this, they need to have their heads examined.

Tazio
23rd June 2009, 21:43
well, i love being homeschooled becouse i never have to study or interact with people in school and gain any sort of lifeskills, all of which would make me a more useful member of society :p :
Yea' that's it. Do you live near Cumberland? I understand they have some extensive caverns there. :z

Wade91
23rd June 2009, 22:03
Yea' that's it. Do you live near Cumberland? I understand they have some extensive caverns there. :z
yeah, i guess, the electricty here is suplied by comberland electric, i dunno how many caves are there though, nor do i really care

Tazio
23rd June 2009, 22:24
yeah, i guess, the electricty here is suplied by comberland electric, i dunno how many caves are there though, nor do i really care
:confused: :arrows:

Easy Drifter
23rd June 2009, 22:50
It appears any and all attempts by forum members to get Wade to try and improve his spelling and grammar skills as well as learning are falling on deaf ears. I doubt he reads any of the threads on serious matters, such as the Iranian situation and probably doesn't care.
Unless he grows up I just hope that he never decides to vote.
Wade you are/have been getting some good advice here. Please try to improve your skills.

Wade91
24th June 2009, 00:36
A doctor amputated the wrong leg on a diabetic patient and the award wasn't this high. This woman could have stolen some large quantity of CD's from a department store and likely wouldn't have been fined more than $1000. This is one of the most ridiculous judgments I have ever heard of. Whether it was a judge or jury that came up with this, they need to have their heads examined.
looks like it was a jury that made that awful decison :s

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/06/18/minnesota.music.download.fine/index.html

Wade91
24th June 2009, 01:43
It appears any and all attempts by forum members to get Wade to try and improve his spelling and grammar skills as well as learning are falling on deaf ears. I doubt he reads any of the threads on serious matters, such as the Iranian situation and probably doesn't care.
Unless he grows up I just hope that he never decides to vote.
Wade you are/have been getting some good advice here. Please try to improve your skills.
i'm to lazy to use spellcheck

schmenke
24th June 2009, 03:40
Spellcheck? Never use it.

No Wade, you're too lazy to better yourself.

Easy Drifter
24th June 2009, 04:40
Going along with what Schmenke said, I also rarely use spell check.
I only have grade 11 complete, although I have a little University education, done at home and honours in English at the high school level. I admittedly spent too much time with sports, playing hockey to Jr. A level, semi pro baseball and high school football.
However I have written articles for 3 different magazines and was a regular writer for one. I got paid for those articles. I also edited two club magazines on totally different subjects.
I have received awards for my writing.
My articles in hobby (club publications) literature have been reprinted in other club publications all over NA.
I am a past President of a large hobby group (not racing) encompassing all of North and Central America.
I have been a director of 3 racing clubs over the years.
I also have been a director of several public companies.
I was a mid level executive of a large financial institution.
My ex and I owned 4 companies at one time or other. Closed down 2 and sold two.
I also raced pro for 9 years, crewed for many more, was team manager for 3 teams and did design work, mostly aero. Self taught on aero by reading and study. Back when skirts were legal (on race cars you twits) I designed and built systems for 3 different makes of cars, including the first skirt system on a Ralt in NA.
You do not totally need a formal education to suceed but it helps. I know my lack of same hindered me at times, especially early in my financial career.
So Wade quit being so proud of your laziness and try to improve yourself. Over the years I hired a number of people and fired some. Right now I would not even consider you for a floor sweeper job.
I am sure that other members of this forum will agree with me.
The advice you are getting here is to try and help you succeed in the future.

Mark in Oshawa
24th June 2009, 06:21
First off, the penalty doesn't fit the crime, especially in a land where someone with power and money can do something more more heinous and get away with less, but that is life I guess.

As for you Wade, if you put in twice the effort you do now to try to sound intelligent, you still wouldn't impress. It isn't that we don't want you to do well or actually prove you have intelligence, no what is making a few of us mad, especially us Canadians for some reason is the delight you take in being "Dumb" and not giving a crap.

To quote the President of the College in the movie "Animal House": "Fat, dumb and stupid is no way to go through life son."