PDA

View Full Version : Jenson and Brawn declared champions....

Dave B
19th June 2009, 07:41
...certainly by one major bookie.

Paddypower have decided that it's a "racing certainty" that they'll win the drivers' and constructors' championship and agreed to settle all bets.

http://allenonf1.wordpress.com/2009/06/18/some-good-news/

So what happens if Jenson breaks his leg, or Brawn get disqualified. They have a huge lead right now, but there's half the season still to come and - as Murray always said - anything can happen and it usually does.

F1boat
19th June 2009, 07:51
Too early. Look at what happened to Loeb in the WRC. Things change very quickly in motorsports.

wmcot
19th June 2009, 09:04
Too early.

Not if you want to be a successful bookie.

BeansBeansBeans
19th June 2009, 09:06
From the bookies point of view it makes sense to declare the result now.

Mark
19th June 2009, 09:32
From the bookies point of view it makes sense to declare the result now.

I guess it depends when they took the bets? It depends what odd there were at the start of the season and if someone else winning the championship would cost them more in payouts than Brawn winning?

leopard
19th June 2009, 09:48
Considering their strong domination, they reserve the right of such high expectation on the title. If everything is right in order, Jenson doesn't seem to break the trend of domination, and finally win the title. I think willingness as such to declare being champion is justifiable.

:)

AndyL
19th June 2009, 12:16
I guess it depends when they took the bets? It depends what odd there were at the start of the season and if someone else winning the championship would cost them more in payouts than Brawn winning?

If someone else wins the championship they'll end up paying out on both sets of bets :rolleyes:

Logically it makes no sense to pay out until the result is final. But Paddy Power have a habit of paying out early for the publicity. ISTR they did the same on the English Premiership this year.

Sarah
19th June 2009, 12:23
I've been watching Jenson's odds all season and they have been poor even early on in the season. You really needed to take a gamble on him when he was pre-season testing.

Dave B
19th June 2009, 12:26
I know somebody who got 66/1 on him for champion towards the end of last year, not with Paddypower sadly so they'll have to wait with crossed fingers.

woody2goody
19th June 2009, 12:26
I'm gutted because I bet with Paddy Power, and I heard Jense was 100-1 with some bookmakers before the season. Oh well.

CNR
19th June 2009, 12:36
Jenson will more then likey win but with 10 races left i think redbull will have a better chance at the constructors championship

082009 FORMULA 1 SANTANDER BRITISH GRAND PRIX (Silverstone) (http://www.formula1.com/races/in_detail/great_britain_813/circuit_diagram.html)19 - 21 Jun09
FORMULA 1 GROSSER PREIS SANTANDER VON DEUTSCHLAND 2009 (Nürburgring) (http://www.formula1.com/races/in_detail/germany_814/circuit_diagram.html)10 - 12 Jul10
FORMULA 1 ING MAGYAR NAGYDIJ 2009 (Budapest) (http://www.formula1.com/races/in_detail/hungary_815/circuit_diagram.html)24 - 26 Jul11
2009 FORMULA 1 TELEFONICA GRAND PRIX OF EUROPE (Valencia) (http://www.formula1.com/races/in_detail/europe_816/circuit_diagram.html)21 - 23 Aug12
2009 FORMULA 1 ING BELGIAN GRAND PRIX (Spa-Francorchamps) (http://www.formula1.com/races/in_detail/belgium_817/circuit_diagram.html)28 - 30 Aug13
FORMULA 1 GRAN PREMIO SANTANDER D'ITALIA 2009 (Monza) (http://www.formula1.com/races/in_detail/italy_818/circuit_diagram.html)11 - 13 Sep14
2009 FORMULA 1 SINGTEL SINGAPORE GRAND PRIX (Singapore) (http://www.formula1.com/races/in_detail/singapore_819/circuit_diagram.html)25 - 27 Sep15
2009 FORMULA 1 FUJI TELEVISION JAPANESE GRAND PRIX (Suzuka) (http://www.formula1.com/races/in_detail/japan_820/circuit_diagram.html)02 - 04 Oct16
FORMULA 1 GRANDE PREMIO DO BRASIL 2009 (Sao Paulo) (http://www.formula1.com/races/in_detail/brazil_822/circuit_diagram.html)16 - 18 Oct17
2009 FORMULA 1 ETIHAD AIRWAYS ABU DHABI GRAND PRIX (Yas Marina Circuit) (http://www.formula1.com/races/in_detail/abu_dhabi_823/circuit_diagram.html)30 Oct - 01 Nov

Garry Walker
19th June 2009, 13:01
I'm gutted because I bet with Paddy Power, and I heard Jense was 100-1 with some bookmakers before the season. Oh well.

I know someone who has BrawnGP winning the WCC at 150-1. I know him very well indeed :D

Mark
19th June 2009, 13:02
I know someone who has BrawnGP winning the WCC at 150-1. I know him very well indeed :D

If you look in a mirror is he always there? :p

Garry Walker
19th June 2009, 13:04
If you look in a mirror is he always there? :p

Most of the time yes :D

AndyL
19th June 2009, 13:41
Your round then Garry :)

Robinho
19th June 2009, 13:44
the problem will be Garry, that when you win you will wish you put more down in the first place!

jens
19th June 2009, 15:07
Jenson and Brawn - the last champions of Formula One? :p :

F1boat
20th June 2009, 22:43
Too early

Point proven today.

markabilly
21st June 2009, 14:07
Point proven today.
And just when you thought it was safe to celerbrate, along comes ruben and puts button in his place while vittels runs off with a win--

why? this race, poor vittels did not have to pass anybody

christophulus
21st June 2009, 14:37
Drivers Championship:

1. Button 64
2. Barrichello 41
3. Vettel 39
4. Webber 35.5

Far, far too early!

emporer_k
21st June 2009, 14:38
I remember about 10 ish years ago a bookmaker payed out on man u winning the premiership only for arsenal to catch them, I cant see any benefit in paying out early.

F1boat
21st June 2009, 14:39
And just when you thought it was safe to celerbrate

It is never safe to celebrate. It is not over till it is over. ;)

ioan
21st June 2009, 16:10
I remember about 10 ish years ago a bookmaker payed out on man u winning the premiership only for arsenal to catch them, I cant see any benefit in paying out early.

Except if the odds on Button are favorable to the bookie compared to those on Vettel!

UltimateDanGTR
21st June 2009, 16:39
blimey-after this weekend we cant be sure of anything yet! I predict red bull are going to be brilliant for the rest of this year-we could actually see a titanic battle for the championship now. I expect to see Vettel really challenge button and maybe win it, but you can never tell in this sport.............Maybe it isnt so boring this year after all..........

anyway, my point is that the bookies may have got this wrong, I think they've been too hasty and they will be biting their fingernails right through the last race at abu dhabi! hopefully like the rest of us...............

F1boat
21st June 2009, 16:40
blimey-after this weekend we cant be sure of anything yet! I predict red bull are going to be brilliant for the rest of this year-we could actually see a titanic battle for the championship now. I expect to see Vettel really challenge button and maybe win it, but you can never tell in this sport.............Maybe it isnt so boring this year after all..........

This may be the case, or it could be the exception, a la the German GP in 2001. Honestly I think that Jenson will be better in slow tracks, while Seb on fast ones.

V12
21st June 2009, 21:30
Aren't Paddy Power the ones who paid out on Stoke City being relegated from the English Premiership last season after one game? (For those who aren't into football, they were a newly promoted side who were expected to struggle and got spanked in their first game but went on to finish solidly mid table).

I've never understood why bookies would ever pay out early? Surely they have nothing to gain, and something to lose if the impossible happens?

As an aside, I wonder what odds you could have got on Button winning the championship on the day Honda announced they were quitting F1? Or indeed right up until the Brawn takeover was announced?

CNR
22nd June 2009, 00:37
9 races = 90 points
jenson is ahead by 25

IF sebastian was to get 3 more points from each race (redbull 1 & 2) or jenson races like the last race sebastian would win by 2 points

AndyL
22nd June 2009, 00:52
Aren't Paddy Power the ones who paid out on Stoke City being relegated from the English Premiership last season after one game? (For those who aren't into football, they were a newly promoted side who were expected to struggle and got spanked in their first game but went on to finish solidly mid table).

I've never understood why bookies would ever pay out early? Surely they have nothing to gain, and something to lose if the impossible happens?

Yes I think you're right, that rings a bell. But as I mentioned before, it's always Paddy Power who do this and they do it for the publicity.

woody2goody
22nd June 2009, 01:58

As an aside, I wonder what odds you could have got on Button winning the championship on the day Honda announced they were quitting F1? Or indeed right up until the Brawn takeover was announced?

It was very stupid to do that. I thought West Brom would be mid table but how wrong I was lol.

stevie_gerrard
22nd June 2009, 10:36
I wouldn't put my eggs all in one basket, but i will put bets on in paddy power more often :p :

Knock-on
22nd June 2009, 11:46
Precisely. Stunts like this get people betting with them.

DanicaFan
22nd June 2009, 12:10
I will agree with this. It's pretty much over. He is dominating the points. Unless he doesnt finish another race this year, its over. F1 doesnt accumulate as many points like NASCAR or the IRL, so there isnt enough races for anyone to catch em.

jens
22nd June 2009, 18:27
Well, if Red Bull keeps dominating for the rest of the year, Button might be beaten, but I doubt BGP and Button are going to struggle that much in the next race weekends and they will get several more wins this year. So I find nothing alarming in current situation yet from JB's point of view. Just because someone, who has dominated all year, suddenly has had bad weekend, doesn't mean it should immediately mean a change in general trend. Let's wait for the next race before that conclusion.

But Red Bull has better chances for WCC title, because their driver line-up is performing closer to each other and it seems possible both might outscore Barrichello this year. So I'm looking at the WCC table with bigger interest at the moment and if - hopefully yes - RBR can keep their recent trend up, those 30 deficit points could be made up.

Big Ben
22nd June 2009, 21:03
I for one regret they didn´t introduce the medal system.

AndyL
23rd June 2009, 11:51
I for one regret they didn´t introduce the medal system.

:eek: Well it would have meant a better weekend for Raikonnen and Trulli I suppose, since Button would have had no motivation to try to pass them... he probably would have just cruised round saving the engine.

BillBald
23rd June 2009, 13:05
I'm not very familiar with betting practices, but could it be that Paddy Power are paying out because they don't want to accept any more bets on Button and Brawn?

They may have lost quite a lot of money already, so they'll want to limit their losses.

If Red Bull end up getting the upper hand, then presumably there will be a lot of other punters wanting Paddy Power to pay up, but presumably that seems less risky than having millions put on Button/Brawn as they get closer to wrapping it up.

ClarkFan
23rd June 2009, 16:20
Yes I think you're right, that rings a bell. But as I mentioned before, it's always Paddy Power who do this and they do it for the publicity.

Wonder how big their book is for any of these wagers? Perhaps they only pay out earlyk then there is little money at stake = cheap publicity.

ClarkFan