PDA

View Full Version : Canadian GP back?

Mark in Oshawa
19th June 2009, 04:05
Well the chickens as I have always seen are coming home to roost. The problem with racing in poorer nations or 3rd world nations is that the man on the street cannot afford the price of the ticket.

Istanbul was on the same weekend the Canadian GP would have been and they were able to draw......30000 people. The IRL does better than that in their WORST markets.

Here is the story with SunMedia in Canada that tells the tale of why the Canadian GP may be back:

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/2009/06/18/9845596-cp.html

race_director
19th June 2009, 04:16
wish FOTA signs the track now rather than seeing GP there

D28
19th June 2009, 15:39
As often the case, the Sun story contains incorrect information; no Canadian GP was held in 1975, due to financial problems. I don't see why Canada would want to deal with Bernie and the remnants of F1, Why not reach a deal with the new FOTA series. Mosport already runs ALMS races, could it not be brought up to GP standards with a little investment? I would really like to see the Canadian GP back at this classic circuit, where it began.

Mark in Oshawa
20th June 2009, 21:22
D28....it would cost MILLIONS to put Mosport up to the current f1 standards in pits and/or runoff safety.

D28
21st June 2009, 02:46
D28....it would cost MILLIONS to put Mosport up to the current f1 standards in pits and/or runoff safety.

Yes, I know this is the conventional position, but still, ALMS runs 4 classes together, with cars not just hanging around. Why does F1 have such exalted standards? I have always thought that the standards were more in the hospitality, comfort area, Bernie's standards. Surely with a few $100,000s Mosport not be brought up to safety specs?. Look at the numbers Montreal is talking about. Could we not get back where the circuit is the most important consideration? I still think Mosport remains one of the premiere drivers circuits anywhere, Montreal unfortunately is not.

race_director
21st June 2009, 02:50
i only hope that lewis balls does not make a impact on the whole issue . ( do not blame me. he only said a year ago that he has balls of some unknown alloy. may be it got rusted now :) )

wmcot
21st June 2009, 08:34
I would be happy to come to Canada to see the Real F1 teams race (not the MaxF1 group!)