PDA

View Full Version : Max Mosley and the FIA. Tell me something good.

Jag_Warrior
16th June 2009, 19:39
I'm not just speaking (just) about Formula One here, so that's why I didn't put this on the F1 board. Over the years, I realize that Max has led the FIA toward many advancements in safety, both on the race track and in the area of passenger cars. But on the business front, considering the shape that (FIA) sports cars, WRC and now F1 find themselves, who here thinks that his leadership has been good for motorsports in a broad, general sense?

Donney
16th June 2009, 19:56
Never in my life (which is only 34 years) has F1 been so popular and so widely discussed. I guess that's good... in a sense.

Hondo
16th June 2009, 21:11
A lot of people do good. Then, spurred either by a heady sense of success, empowerment, or perhaps a long cherished agenda, they cross a line. The old "absolute power..." kind of thing. Old sayings get to be old sayings by being true sayings. Hitler did a lot of good, then crossed a line.

steve_spackman
16th June 2009, 21:19
I'm not just speaking (just) about Formula One here, so that's why I didn't put this on the F1 board. Over the years, I realize that Max has led the FIA toward many advancements in safety, both on the race track and in the area of passenger cars. But on the business front, considering the shape that (FIA) sports cars, WRC and now F1 find themselves, who here thinks that his leadership has been good for motorsports in a broad, general sense?

I dont think he has done much good. As you said, look at the state F1 is in. Mind you its in a better state than the WRC. Im thinking he should take a few notes at what Eurosport has done with the Intercontinental Rally Challenge. The IRC ( Intercontinental Rally Challenge) has done all that the WRC should of done years ago.

Tazio
16th June 2009, 23:47
Max is not responsible for the economic conditions in the world as they are now.
Max has done quite well by F1. His problem is he is spread too thinly.

With the exception of MotoGp I don't follow other racing that closely. My focus is on F1.
If the entire world racing ship is sinking I suggest that F1 Jump off,
because the changes he wants to make I don't like.
It will turn me against F1, and from a purely selfish point of view I want the pinnacle.
The other disciplines can fend for themselves! JMHO

Easy Drifter
17th June 2009, 00:34
Much as I dislike the 'Demented Midget' he has done far more to make F1 successful than 'Mad Max' has.
The FIA has had zero impact of road safey in Canada.
Back to 'Mad Max'. He blathers on about costs but the rule changes for this year meant everyone had to design completely new cars.
Next year with no refueling (if it goes through) completely new cars again.
Tell me how that keeps costs down.

Dave B
17th June 2009, 08:34
As JW states, the FIA have done a lot to improve the safety of racing cars. Max is part of a chain which includes Jackie Stewart, Prof. Sid Watkins, Michael Schumacher and - to an extent - Bernie Ecclestone. It's to his immense credit that motorsport has minimised the risks as far as reasonably possible without destroying the spectacle.

But for everything else, Mosley should be ashamed. His constant tinkering with the rulebook has driven up costs; seen manufacturers desert rallying and touring cars, and shortly F1; alienated hardcore and casual fans alike; and done nothing to address envionmental concerns.

He won't be remembered fondly, at least not by me.

BDunnell
17th June 2009, 09:47
Neither Max nor the FIA have killed anyone (that we know of). That's something.

BeansBeansBeans
17th June 2009, 10:37
What has Max Mosely done for the good of motorsport?

Well, he ousted Balestre, but it was all downhill from there.

Jag_Warrior
17th June 2009, 22:01
I guess it could be said that Maxie "dodged a bullet" (or four) by not having this freakstress as one of his play partners.

A jury at the high court in Geneva decided that Cécile Brossard, 40, had acted out of hatred and greed rather than the lesser crime of passion when she shot the 50-year old friend of President Nicolas Sarkozy four times as he stood in a latex suit and mask.

So he knew the top dog in France. I wonder if he and Herr Mosley were also pals?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/switzerland/5561714/Ccile-Brossard-guilty-of-murder-in-shooting-of-Edouard-Stern.html

Jag_Warrior
17th June 2009, 22:06

Yeah, even I have to give him a point or two for that.

Mark in Oshawa
19th June 2009, 01:08

Max has killed any real interest in WRC it appears. The FIA under his leadership could have done wonderful things with Touring car but they have destroyed THAT. The Sportscar world is disjointed and almost chaotic. The ACO runs Sportscar racing at LeMans and I am sure if he tried to go in there and change how they do things he would find some Frenchmen who would no problem going to war!

Max has done nothing but waste everyone's time with f1. It is more popular mainly due to the fact he has killed almost every other form of racing off in Europe. In the US, f1 is a sideshow for most. He has allowed Bernie (and I will admit Bernie has the leverage to do what he wants but who in their right minds would let Bernie run around doing what he does?) to completely run where GP's are run and get rich in the process.

Races in such locales such as China, Singapore, Malaysia, Bahrain, Qatar and Turkey are replacing Spa, France, Canada, and the US. How is THAT helping f1? Yes...Bernie....but I don't see Max getting upset about it either.

The FIA are a pompous bunch of jerks who have no idea on how to market nor run a racing series. F1 only works because of the manufacturers and Bernie having some nose for promotion (even if it is only self promotion half the time!)

markabilly
19th June 2009, 14:16

AndyRAC
19th June 2009, 14:57
Max has killed any real interest in WRC it appears. The FIA under his leadership could have done wonderful things with Touring car but they have destroyed THAT. The Sportscar world is disjointed and almost chaotic. The ACO runs Sportscar racing at LeMans and I am sure if he tried to go in there and change how they do things he would find some Frenchmen who would no problem going to war!

Max has done nothing but waste everyone's time with f1. It is more popular mainly due to the fact he has killed almost every other form of racing off in Europe. In the US, f1 is a sideshow for most. He has allowed Bernie (and I will admit Bernie has the leverage to do what he wants but who in their right minds would let Bernie run around doing what he does?) to completely run where GP's are run and get rich in the process.

Races in such locales such as China, Singapore, Malaysia, Bahrain, Qatar and Turkey are replacing Spa, France, Canada, and the US. How is THAT helping f1? Yes...Bernie....but I don't see Max getting upset about it either.

The FIA are a pompous bunch of jerks who have no idea on how to market nor run a racing series. F1 only works because of the manufacturers and Bernie having some nose for promotion (even if it is only self promotion half the time!)

Good post, quite agree - while Balestre was no angel - F1 didn't dwarf all other Motorsports to the extent that it does now. Look what happened to other series that were growing and providing another viable outlet for Manufacturers - WSC and WRC, either killed off completely or seriously wounded! And that is no coincidence - pressure must have been borne to bear on the FiA to stop the harm to F1. That is simply wrong.
While top class sport needs to run as a business - the sporting side shouldn't be forgotten. Instead we get races going to who can afford them - in front of empty stands. The 17/18 GP's should be awarded to the best circuits on at least 5 of the continents. How on earth are there no races in North America this year?
The sooner the gruesome twosome go, the better!

race_director
19th June 2009, 15:28
FIA has not done anything outside EU. in asian and african countries, expect for a few motorsport fans terms like FIA , Bernie, MAX would sound side like some cartoon charecter's to 99% of the population.

BDunnell
19th June 2009, 20:11
And now legal action is being threatened. I believe that if he were to go now, all the breakaway threats could be averted. But he won't. I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt after the tabloid revelations. Now, the time has surely come for him to realise that he, rightly or wrongly (because there is rarely just one villain in any particular piece) has become a deeply problematic influence and should step aside.

driveace
19th June 2009, 20:58
Probably if the News of the Worlds,exposure had been more succesful and made Max assess his position,he probably would have stood down.But as that did not happen and he won his case and carried on as president he is still trying to get back at those he suspected of putting the papers on to him.
He will now try to not relinquish control by issuing threats against court action on the breakaway group