PDA

View Full Version : Tour De Corse RIP Thanks Simon

sal
12th June 2009, 22:04
Didnt take long for ISC and Simon Long to work their magic did it? One minute they are talking of renaming events to reflect the sports heritage getting rid of the Rally..."Insert Country" nomlecature, the next they are killing off one of the oldest events in the championship and moving the "French" round to the mainland. Hey Simon perhaps you havent realised the UK is an island too..

Can't say there will be many Italians crying about the loss of Sardinia but if Loeb hadnt have been as dominant would the TDC have survived?

DonJippo
12th June 2009, 22:14
It's up to the national ASN to decide where in a country an event is to be held, it's not a business of FIA or ISC to decide.

AndyRAC
12th June 2009, 22:15
I'd say the Tour de Corse is a classic - and I totally disagree with this idea.
Moving Italy's round to the mainland is agreeable.
Another thing - when they draw up the future calendars - make sure there are no clashes with other Motorsport 'classics', e;g Monaco, Le Mans.

sal
12th June 2009, 22:36
It's up to the national ASN to decide where in a country an event is to be held, it's not a business of FIA or ISC to decide.

Fair enough, however the French have had issues in the past with spectator problems with their "other" event the Monte so what a great idea when the Loeb effect is at full strength to move the rally to the mainland. The point I was making is that ISC have been making lots of noises about returning to traditional values with event names and formats and then they start killing off the Island events..Anyway I cant expect a Finn to get upset about tarmac rallies as tar is the bit that links the gravel stages together isnt it?!

A.F.F.
12th June 2009, 22:55
Anyway I cant expect a Finn to get upset about tarmac rallies as tar is the bit that links the gravel stages together isnt it?!

Right!! :)

MJW
12th June 2009, 22:58
i know tradition is important and Corsica is cornerstone event. However, have you worked out the logistical costs of e.g. moving a team from the English midlands, (articulated lorries, service vans, recce cars, rally cars and all thats required to a mainland Europ`e event, then just think how much more it costs to put the convoy on a ferry from France / Italy to Corsica, Sardinia, and Cyprus. Much more than Catalynia, Portugal, San Remo, and Greece. That is another reason why Ireland is not a cheap rally for Eurppean drivers, you have to come to UK first then take another ferry to Ireland. Dropping these island events saves money, and widens the target audience.

RS
12th June 2009, 23:06
Another victory for the WRCs persuit of blandness.

Corsica will go to IRC.

alleskids
12th June 2009, 23:12
Is it already a certainty that Tour de Corse will be dropped from the 2010 WRC calandre? And what rally will replace it then?

ST205GT4
13th June 2009, 07:09
Be a shame if this event does disappear. I managed to see it in 06 via a side trip from Italy. Unbelievable roads.

Corsica itself is an amazing place. Would happily go back for another holiday.

OldF
13th June 2009, 13:39
Tour De Corse is a classic rally and I remember in the old good days when they drove about 400 km of SS in one day. If I’m not quite wrong I remember reading somewhere, when the decision of rotating was made, that the decision suits the organizer of Tour De Corse well because they didn’t want to organize the rally every year. But still a shame if it’s dropped from the calendar.

alleskids
13th June 2009, 14:12
Before everybody gets excited, is it already a done descision that TdeC is goen from the WRc calandre? And were can I read that confirmation? I though the TdC has a bad financial history for years.

J4MIE
15th June 2009, 11:51
Classic event which I am sad not to have had the chance to visit so far, hopefully there will be one more event after this year :(

WRCfan
16th June 2009, 02:50
A real shame if it was to disappear from the calendar. Roads look fantastic and steeped in history so would be a loss to rallying if we didn't have it.

WRC is not WRC without rounds like Monte, Acropolis, Tour de Corse, Finland, GB. The new rounds just don't feel like WRC to me...maybe some of you can kind of understand what I mean here.

wotaguy
16th June 2009, 10:43
yes i can, i still call the events by there old names, even Wales is the Rac,to me. but then again its cos im old, and been speecying since 81, new zealand was the motogard i remember that, i agree the calender is changing all the time, but with events like Poland/Czeck(Barum) these are very old events with there own traditions, but money men will never care about tradition its all about bums on seats

ShiftingGears
16th June 2009, 11:02
Another victory for the WRCs persuit of blandness.

Corsica will go to IRC.

Yeah, awful move. Having said that, the Tour de Corse was in an awful state, with most stages repeated.

Then again, so are all WRC rallies. It's a far cry from when you could be guaranteed at least 400-500 km of special stages with little to no reruns of stages.

If world rally ever becomes brilliant again like it was in the early 90's, or even the mid to early 80's with Group B, I will be immensely thrilled.

But I don't think its going to happen under the current FIA administration.

MJW
16th June 2009, 11:11
Yeah, awful move. Having said that, the Tour de Corse was in an awful state, with most stages repeated.

Then again, so are all WRC rallies. It's a far cry from when you could be guaranteed at least 400-500 km of special stages with little to no reruns of stages.

If world rally ever becomes brilliant again like it was in the early 90's, or even the mid to early 80's with Group B, I will be immensely thrilled.

But I don't think its going to happen under the current FIA administration.
There is an interesting feature in gpweek.com where Phil Mills comments that Loeb's off in Acropolis was similar to other incidents where Seb has not enjoyed his usual level of success on new events (new stages) Phil on the other hand refers to events where Petter does well when the rally is new, 1st time in Japan, Mexico, Sardinia. Phil said that the stages are getting too well known now in most wrc rallies. Also have you noted the Loeb is faster on second runs? I would love it if ISC had the guts to revert to proper rallying, not the 3 stages around the service park and repeat format that ALL events, not just WRGB are doing. WRGB has been criticised for a 'corner of South Wales' rally for years, even though I understand now that the former sponsor wanted to spread the rally to other areas of Wales, but IMS resisted this for fear of upsetting FIA. Please gives us real rallying back.