PDA

View Full Version : Cosworth are back!

Powered by Cosworth
12th June 2009, 12:13
:D :D :D

I wonder if they'll update the 06 engine or start a new one, or is the 06 engine subject to the freeze?

V12
12th June 2009, 12:19
Great news, and yes I think it will be a form of the engine that finished 2006 in the back of the Williams - hopefully it'll be more reliable than last time!

Either way it's a great name to have back in the sport, its getting back to kind of like the old days when while maybe the big teams had manufacturer powerplants but the smaller teams were able to still able to afford to stick a DFR or HB in the back and go racing :)

N. Jones
12th June 2009, 13:06
I am very happy to see them back! I think they will build a new engine considering the rules have changed since 2006 (different body style is what I mean).

christophulus
12th June 2009, 13:20
I can't see them keeping the 06 engine the same, especially after Mercedes/Ferrari improved their engines for "reliability" reasons. Then again, they threw together a new engine for 2006 so no reason they couldn't do one for next year on the same timescale.

Sleeper
12th June 2009, 13:21
All current engines date back to 06, with the periferals being the parts that get constant redesigning so with some update parts it shoul be there or there-abouts.

And it wasnt the Cosworths that were unreliable, they only had 3/4 engine failures all year, it was the Williams built parts that kept braking. Willimas themselves said it was failures in their quality controle department that were to blame.

Sonic
12th June 2009, 17:21
Added to that. Even if we attribute 4 or so of the failures to the cosworth alone I seem to recal that engine being the highest reving of the season so with the rev limit we now have (which still sucks IMO - half the fun was the massive blow ups in days gone by) it should be a good base for a super reliable engine.

K-Pu
12th June 2009, 18:58
Cosworth brought a beast for the 2006 season. The problem was somewhere else...

VkmSpouge
12th June 2009, 19:11
Good to see Cosworth are back, I hope their engine is a good one.

DexDexter
12th June 2009, 19:18
It's good news for F1, a cheap and probably competitive engine from an independent manufacturer, one that will not just go away if the board decides so.

N. Jones
12th June 2009, 20:55
:D :D :D

I wonder if they'll update the 06 engine or start a new one, or is the 06 engine subject to the freeze?

Does this mean that Potenza di Cosworth have signed an engine deal with Cosworth for FGP 2010?? :)

gloomyDAY
24th June 2009, 15:56
What are their engine specs?

Are Cosworth going to de-tune their engine?

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Cosworth has the most powerful engine on the grid. We all know that Ferrari and Mercedes have ample power, but now we have a token player that can throw a wrench into the whole process.

ioan
24th June 2009, 22:17
What are their engine specs?

Are Cosworth going to de-tune their engine?

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Cosworth has the most powerful engine on the grid. We all know that Ferrari and Mercedes have ample power, but now we have a token player that can throw a wrench into the whole process.

All engines will be restricted next year.
Thinking that Cosworth can produce a better engine than Ferrari, Mercedes, BMW, Renault and Toyota without having had the hundreds of thousand of kms the later ones ran these last years is not realistic.

gloomyDAY
24th June 2009, 22:20
All engines will be restricted next year.
Thinking that Cosworth can produce a better engine than Ferrari, Mercedes, BMW, Renault and Toyota without having had the hundreds of thousand of kms the later ones ran these last years is not realistic.I'm just wondering how the FIA and teams will know that Cosworth, et al, are on even footing. Do they dyno the engines? It is obvious from race starts that the Mercedes engine performs a lot better than the Renault engine (race start @ Silverstone).

nigelred5
25th June 2009, 18:29
I'm just wondering how the FIA and teams will know that Cosworth, et al, are on even footing. Do they dyno the engines? It is obvious from race starts that the Mercedes engine performs a lot better than the Renault engine (race start @ Silverstone).

Huh? Vettel's Renault walked away from Barrichello at the start and had a 12 second lead over the Mercedes Brawn less than 5 laps into the race. That wasn't all car. Hamilton couldn't pull any sort of lead from alonzo on the straits. I don't think Renault has any problems with HP, it's what they are in in in the case of team Renault that is the problem.

nigelred5
25th June 2009, 18:32
Well, with the changes over the last couple days, will Cosworth still be in the picture??

How about a Ferrari badged as a Chrysler in the USGP or what ever they are called entry.

Chaparral66
28th June 2009, 06:06
I know this probably won't happen, but I'd like to see the Ford name back on Cosworth. That kind of marketing could help their world efforts right now.

wmcot
28th June 2009, 07:38
I know this probably won't happen, but I'd like to see the Ford name back on Cosworth. That kind of marketing could help their world efforts right now.

Only if Ford kick in a bunch of money, which is doubtful considering the state of the auto industry world-wide.

Chaparral66
28th June 2009, 20:33
Only if Ford kick in a bunch of money, which is doubtful considering the state of the auto industry world-wide.

I know, and you're right, that's why I said it probably won't happen. But Ford wouldn't have to kick in that much money to brand it, just enough to help with some development; the rest of the revenue would come from the teams buying or leasing the motors.

wmcot
29th June 2009, 07:23

If GM could put up enough money to get their name on the engine, it would be a Cosworthless!

ClarkFan
29th June 2009, 23:12

If I remember the stories right, the development costs for the original DFV were about $100,000, as the project was basically putting two FVA (Four Valve Anglia) F2 engines together. Fronting that amount got "Ford" on the camshaft covers of the most successful racing engine ever.

Now, I don't think $100,000 would get your name at the aiming point of one of the toilets in the team motorhomes..... :\

ClarkFan

DexDexter
30th June 2009, 11:45
I'm just wondering how the FIA and teams will know that Cosworth, et al, are on even footing. Do they dyno the engines? It is obvious from race starts that the Mercedes engine performs a lot better than the Renault engine (race start @ Silverstone).

Cosworth is probably not on even footing but I'm sure they are pretty close and that's good enough for a cheap customer engine.

ioan
30th June 2009, 12:21
Cosworth is probably not on even footing but I'm sure they are pretty close and that's good enough for a cheap customer engine.

But how cheap are they compared with other engines?
Let's not forget that the manufacturers already involved in F1 have promised to supply both engines and transmissions for a very low price next season.

Sonic
30th June 2009, 13:17
But how cheap are they compared with other engines?
Let's not forget that the manufacturers already involved in F1 have promised to supply both engines and transmissions for a very low price next season.

Indeed. What would you prefer? A three year old cossie or a bang up to date Merc or whatever if the costs were similar.

Knock-on
30th June 2009, 13:20
What about supplying more than 2 teams. I think Brawn were given dispensation because of the Honda situation.

Perhaps Cosworths are the only option?

Sonic
30th June 2009, 13:26
What about supplying more than 2 teams. I think Brawn were given dispensation because of the Honda situation.

This is one of the things that gets my goat about BMW. Everyone else provides engines for customer teams.

ioan
30th June 2009, 14:15

Wouldn't they need a dispensation from the other manufacturers too?

Anyway, there will be a natural selection based on performance/price.