PDA

View Full Version : Cippoloni talking nonsense...

Colin_Harvey
6th June 2009, 16:46
I see that on AR1, Mark Cippoloni continues to refer to Sebastien Vettel as "F1's best driver". I've no idea what he's basing that on but to refer to somebody competing in only his 33rd race as being the best driver and whom has only really hammered teammates (the inept Sebastien Bourdais being an exception) in wet conditions, is somewhat premature.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not seeing to belittle Vettel's ability and his accomplishments to date. Only that to repeatedly call him the best on the grid would appear to demonstrate a lack of real knowledge about F1.

Knock-on
6th June 2009, 16:49
Thankfully we don't have him on the BBC.

SV is a good driver and has the potential to go on and be a great one but time will tell.

ioan
7th June 2009, 11:17
I can't tell whether you are joking, but here are the two main problems with Cipploni's news article.

1. He is passing off his own opinion as fact.
2. He is doing so in a news article.

That is why he is talking nonsense.

Every journo is writing his opinions, especially when it comes to naming the best F1 driver.

So it's laughable to start criticizing someone for his/her opinion based on your own opinion.

jeffmr2
7th June 2009, 13:51
Thankfully we don't have him on the BBC.

No but we have the bbc team making stupid comments like button has become schumaceresque!!!what a load of nonsense!!

ShiftingGears
7th June 2009, 14:40
Don't get me wrong, I'm not seeing to belittle Vettel's ability and his accomplishments to date. Only that to repeatedly call him the best on the grid would appear to demonstrate a lack of real knowledge about F1.

Might be ignoring the fact that his teammate has beaten him five times out of the last seven races as well.

F1boat
7th June 2009, 15:13
Might be ignoring the fact that his teammate has beaten him five times out of the last seven races as well.

Owned ;)

ioan
7th June 2009, 15:20

But not when it mattered. Not to mention that you being from down under you position is very "objective". :laugh:

ShiftingGears
7th June 2009, 15:30
But not when it mattered. Not to mention that you being from down under you position is very "objective". :laugh:

Not to mention you being European makes you very "objective" towards Vettel.

See what I did there? I applied your awful presumptive logic to your own viewpoint.

Wasted Talent
7th June 2009, 15:39
No but we have the bbc team making stupid comments like button has become schumaceresque!!!what a load of nonsense!!

Schumacher-esqe is a fair comparison - not saying he is Schumacher, just that his wins this year have been like Schumacher in his prime

WT

ioan
7th June 2009, 15:58
Not to mention you being European makes you very "objective" towards Vettel.

See what I did there? I applied your awful presumptive logic to your own viewpoint.

Unlike you, I don't care! :laugh:

jeffmr2
7th June 2009, 16:06
Schumacher-esqe is a fair comparison - not saying he is Schumacher, just that his wins this year have been like Schumacher in his prime

WT

Obviously its difficult to fault Buttons performance this year but his record untill now just does not justlfy him being compared to any of the great legends like Scumacher.
I'm trying to be objective and like him but i just cant!!

AndyL
7th June 2009, 16:13
Obviously its difficult to fault Buttons performance this year but his record untill now just does not justlfy him being compared to any of the great legends like Scumacher.

It's quite true that his career has been nothing like the illustrious career of Schumacher, but you don't have to consider an entire career when drawing comparisons. Button's drives this season have been in some ways quite similar to those of Schumacher when he was dominating: making no mistakes, and putting in the fast laps exactly when it's been most crucial to make the strategy work.

Knock-on
7th June 2009, 19:51
I think Jeff just doesn't like Button. Something about him and his friends thinking him arrogant?

Thankfully the commentators didn't say Jenson was like Schumacher but that his performance and dominance this year has been reminesant of Schumacher at his peak.

Still, good opportunity for a little bash ;)