PDA

View Full Version : T-20 WC thread

harsha
4th June 2009, 18:53
definetly an overkill of 20-20 cricket

but latest news

Andrew Symonds sent home after having a couple of beers while watching a rugby match

anyway,i think Sri Lanka could win this

Camelopard
6th June 2009, 02:51
England beaten by the Netherlands!

Lousada
6th June 2009, 17:22
England beaten by the Netherlands!

:D !! The only Dutch people who know what cricket is are the players on the Dutch team.

harsha
6th June 2009, 18:36
er....australia got mauled by a Tornado

Camelopard
7th June 2009, 00:20
Scotland should have beaten NZ......

stevie_gerrard
8th June 2009, 13:20
Good to see a cricket thread back up, its certainly been a while.

England - Utter shambles. Colly called them dark horses, yet you can't beat a bunch of part timers, what a load of rubbish. Far play to the dutch, they played well, but england are culprits far too often to embarassments like that.

England (Part 2) - Cracking. Great win. There is hope yet again, England to Win!!! :D :p :

I think this tournament is going to be fun. Its great to watch cricket when its in this format. I'm a big fan of all formats, but T20 has something special about it. I fancy South Africa to win it, you heard it hear first.

harsha
8th June 2009, 17:53
Good to see a cricket thread back up, its certainly been a while.

England - Utter shambles. Colly called them dark horses, yet you can't beat a bunch of part timers, what a load of rubbish. Far play to the dutch, they played well, but england are culprits far too often to embarassments like that.

England (Part 2) - Cracking. Great win. There is hope yet again, England to Win!!! :D :p :

I think this tournament is going to be fun. Its great to watch cricket when its in this format. I'm a big fan of all formats, but T20 has something special about it. I fancy South Africa to win it, you heard it hear first.

I would definetly like South Africa to win it,it's been about time since they won a major competition....but 20-20's such a format that any team can be beaten with 2-3 bad overs.

Remember that SA had an exceptional 20-20 WC last time around until one horrible 20 over session came around

Camelopard
8th June 2009, 23:56
Australia out, serves them right playing Brett Lee and sending Symonds home. The big problem with Australian cricket at the moment is still ponting imo, but hey I strongly dislike the guy.

Australia's best T20 players aren't even in the side, Gilchrist, Warne. Hayden, Tait. need I go on? All I can say is good riddance and I still hope they lose the ashes...... maybe then they will dispose of punter...... and Hilditch and Merv and appoint a full time selection panel.

stevie_gerrard
15th June 2009, 10:11
I don't think you can really argue with symonds going home. He has been warned several times about his conduct, and you have to demand respect from your players, and he simply isn't bothered about it.

The Aussies will obviously find this a blessing in disguise as they prepare for the ashes.

England secured the knockout of India out of the tournament, 1 more win and they are in the semi finals, and it's not often you hear that in England. They are up against a much better Windies side though, so i wouldn't say its all in the bag. If Gayle finds his form again, i can see us struggling.

Good to see Ireland putting up a fight against Sri Lanka too, made for an entertaining game, which only got 15 minutes highlights on BBC which is ridiculous :angry: I know England was the "big" game, but they soon skipped through the big shots and boundaries by both sides.

555-04Q2
15th June 2009, 10:35
Quite a few surprises this time round. Cant believe the likes of OZ and India are gone :s hock:

Been a pretty good tournament so far though :up:

CaptainRaiden
15th June 2009, 11:12
Can't watch ANY cricket while I am in Romania, nothing on the telly. I have to hunt for cricket streams over the web if and when I get time free from work. It's surprising how little or nothing people know about cricket in European countries. Beautiful country though, Romania. :-D

I read on the website that India got knocked out. Oh well, better luck next time. Maybe this gives them a wake-up call to prepare better for the One day world cup, dunno when that is.

I read a news headline somewhere that there was some friction or fight between Dhoni and Sehwag or something that effect, or just some media exaggeration? Maybe harsha, you know something about that?

Camelopard
15th June 2009, 23:47
I don't think you can really argue with symonds going home. He has been warned several times about his conduct, and you have to demand respect from your players, and he simply isn't bothered about it.

It isn't a kindergarten and they aren't children, what he does in his spare time is of no importance to anyone else. It has been noted elsewhere that maybe he is sick of all the bs involved with oz cricket and is happy to make heaps of money playing T20 in the IPL, his gain, Australia's loss.

Oz cricket stinks, look at the case of Tait, he was told that he couldn't go and play in the IPL by CA, so he dropped a couple of hundred thousand, then when new contracts were offered by CA he wasn't given one, why would anyone have any loyalty to CA when they do things like that? As an aside he has been offered Symonds contract now.

Anyway back to the topic, England beaten by the Windies.

555-04Q2
17th June 2009, 11:50
Crunch time baby! It's the semi's!

Looks like either Sri Lanka or South Africa will win this one, but the Windies may cause an upset, depending if Gayle fires or not.

Congrats to South Africa for extending their world record unbeaten run in international T20's to 7 in a row. Hopefully it will become 9 in a row :)

Camelopard
19th June 2009, 02:43
Crunch time baby! It's the semi's!

Looks like either Sri Lanka or South Africa will win this one, but the Windies may cause an upset, depending if Gayle fires or not.

Congrats to South Africa for extending their world record unbeaten run in international T20's to 7 in a row. Hopefully it will become 9 in a row :)

Want to put money on a WI v Pakistan final? :)

Not that I'm a betting man, but I'll stick with my original choice of the WI winning.

555-04Q2
19th June 2009, 14:36

Not that I'm a betting man, but I'll stick with my original choice of the WI winning.

Probably will be a WI vs PS final.

I was shocked at the exit of our team last night. Win a world record 7 games in a row and then lose in the semi's of the T20. Bunch of bloody chockers.

Camelopard
20th June 2009, 00:11

Good thing I didn't bet the house on that!

stevie_gerrard
22nd June 2009, 10:01
Probably will be a WI vs PS final.

I was shocked at the exit of our team last night. Win a world record 7 games in a row and then lose in the semi's of the T20. Bunch of bloody chockers.

South Africans are well known for being a bunch of chokers ;) :p :

All in all, this was a thoroughably enjoyable tournament for all, and I think the right team won in terms of support. The Pakistani team was supported brilliantly throughout the two weeks, and considering all the troubles they have had in the past couple of years, it's nice to give them the chance to celebrate something for once. :up:

Sri Lanka weren't good enough on the day, the one day they could have done without a duck for Dilshan, their star player. Yet i thought Malinga was brilliant throughout this tournament and had he managed a breakthrough, i think it could have been a lot closer yesterday.

My team of the tournament:

Gayle (WI) - Really was a one man team on a couple of occasions. His hitting was sensational.
Dilshan (SL) - Created his own shot and nearly became only the second person in histroy to hit a hundred in T20.
McCullum (NZ) - Not really a batters tournament, but Brendan deserves his place for being quick and deadly in the field, and contributed from time to time.
Afridi (PAK) - Was simply sensational throughout the tournament, and really showed his worth when it came to the crunch. A handy all rounder as well.
De Villers (SA) - Was deadly in the field and scored vital runs when needed to.
Bravo (WI) - Really hit them big and was a handy all rounder, took wickets and scored runs, unfortunate to fail in the semis.
Sangakarra (CPT)(WK)(SL) - Lead Sri Lanka brilliantly, and very nearly produced a Gayle-style performance in the final to win them the main prize.
Gul (PAK) - Was the key in a lot of the big games, very economical and produced that mesmirising spell against the Kiwis.
Parnell (SA) - Very quick, Very talented, definitely one for the future.
Van de Merwe (SA) - very talented spin bowler, proved his worth in this competition with a good haul of wickets.
Malinga (SL) - Simply produces magic with the ball. Conceded just 14 runs in the final, and was unlucky not to get the breakthrough his figures deserved.

I think honourable mentions for Mendis (SL) and Kallis (SA) who were both key to their respective teams campaigns as well.

I know my team suggest Sri Lanka or south Africa should have won, but Pakistan were worthy winners. :D

AndyRAC
22nd June 2009, 13:46
Well done to Pakistan - it would be nice to see them play 'home' Test matches in England. They'd get good crowds I'm sure.

555-04Q2
22nd June 2009, 15:56
South Africans are well known for being a bunch of chokers ;) :p :

Sad but true :)

At least we can play rugby though :)

stevie_gerrard
26th June 2009, 09:55
Not very well from what i saw against the lions on saturday ;)

Ready for an ass whooping tomorrow? :p :

555-04Q2
27th June 2009, 08:34
Not very well from what i saw against the lions on saturday ;)

Ready for an ass whooping tomorrow? :p :

We gonna tear the Lions apart today ;)

The lions have had six weeks together now and our Boks hadnt played for 3 to 4 weeks prior to the first test. A combination of Loftus Stadium at altitude, a hostile home crowd full of drunken Jan's and a Bok team that will have the gremlins ironed out will make pussy cats out of the Lions :D