PDA

View Full Version : Virus Warning.

Valve Bounce
3rd June 2009, 04:18
I was just exploring the possibility of downloading some old episodes of Boston Legal, so googled websites for downloading them, and came across the Torrents website. Clicked on it and immediately my AVG stopped 4 viruses trying to access my PC.

Updated and then scanned my PC and managed to put the lot plus heaps of other objects tracking my PC. I had been looking up various reviews of GPS units, and prices of same, and my PC was full of these bloody tracking cookies. :(

rah
4th June 2009, 01:54
Spybot is a pretty good program for this.

Dave B
4th June 2009, 08:07
With my "not condoning torrents" hat on... :erm:

Use a torrent search engine such as Isohunt which lets users flag and rate torrents. Only trust torrents with positive ratings from trusted members.

There are a lot of fakes out there, common tactics being to ask you to download a particular codec to view the file (which of course is an executable), or to sign up for a password to unzip it - giving away personal data in the process.

Not that I condone torrents, you understand :p

Valve Bounce
5th June 2009, 03:57
With my "not condoning torrents" hat on... :erm:

Use a torrent search engine such as Isohunt which lets users flag and rate torrents. Only trust torrents with positive ratings from trusted members.

There are a lot of fakes out there, common tactics being to ask you to download a particular codec to view the file (which of course is an executable), or to sign up for a password to unzip it - giving away personal data in the process.

Not that I condone torrents, you understand :p

Dave - it was really strange. I simply clicked on the Torrents website, and immediately my AV caught 4 virus attacks. There was a small flag which said I had won a prize of $2000 and to click on it to claim my prize. I tried to shut the flag right away, but it would not shut. I had to reboot my PC to get rid of it.

Lucky my AV had been updated the night before.

I do have Ad-Aware as well as the anti- spyware program on AVG.