PDA

View Full Version : Double File Restarts

Haulin'AssAndTurnin Left
2nd June 2009, 11:07
From Jayski

Double-File restarts at Pocono? NASCAR distributed proposals to crew chiefs regarding possible procedures for double-file restarts which could be introduced as early as Pocono Raceway next week. The proposal states all starts will be double file. The race leader will have his choice of which lane to use for the restart. The third-place car will always start in the inside lane. There will be no changes in the free pass or "lucky dog," and cars that are one lap down can choose not to pit, therefore regaining a lap during a caution. The new rule appears to be a work in progress but Pocono is a 2.5-miler with plenty of space and opportunity to figure it out

Sounds like NASCAR might actually listen to public opinion on this one amazing!

Not sure how the lapped cars not pitting thing will work

Lee Roy
2nd June 2009, 13:28
Not sure how the lapped cars not pitting thing will work[/B]

I hope they don't do like Formula One or Indy Car racing does with lapped cars behind the pace car but ahead of the leader. They wave them past the pace car and let them make their lap up. It's like the "Lucky Dog" on steroids.

But I'm glad that NASCAR's hopefully going to the double-file restart. It's a great idea.

harvick#1
2nd June 2009, 15:29
finally nascar is about to do something right maybe.

but as for the wave around, Dover was a perfect example. all the drivers that pitted on before the caution would stay out after the leaders pitted, all of them are waved around to the tail-end of the field but not allowed to pit, and the race resumes

Lee Roy
2nd June 2009, 17:12
finally nascar is about to do something right maybe.

but as for the wave around, Dover was a perfect example. all the drivers that pitted on before the caution would stay out after the leaders pitted, all of them are waved around to the tail-end of the field but not allowed to pit, and the race resumes

So you're a fan of the "Lucky Dog" rule?

harvick#1
2nd June 2009, 17:38
So you're a fan of the "Lucky Dog" rule?

of course not, I'm happy Nascar may get the double file-lead lap car restart correct. I think it will make the racing alot better and can really spice things up for the finish.

I was and still a fan of the "racing back to the line" rule

jeffmr2
2nd June 2009, 22:03
I think double file restarts will penalise unfairly the race leader.Say he has a comfortable 5 second lead when caution comes out,under the current restart with racey cars on the inside,the leader (and maybe 2nd) will often get away from the pack and almost restore quite rightly his well earned lead,this will be totally wiped out now.Will it make the racing less exciting,some drivers may now just sit back in 4th or 5th not pushing to catch the leader and just wait for the caution to close the gap.

e2mtt
3rd June 2009, 02:47
I say keep the single-file resets, let the lapped cars get in the way, but ditch the lucky dog.

(I would prefer giving the lucky dog only to the first lapped car in line directly behind the leader, and was in front of the 2nd place runner.)

Haulin'AssAndTurnin Left
3rd June 2009, 09:51
Im i the only person that thinks the lucky dog rule is ok. Sure id prefer racing back to the line, there does need to be a way for guys to get back onto the lead lap.

Wade91
3rd June 2009, 16:58
double file re-starts are gonna be awesome :D

the lucky dog rule defently needs to stay though, becouse its gonna bemore important than ever now that lapped cars wont be starting on the inside

Sparky1329
4th June 2009, 05:10
Im i the only person that thinks the lucky dog rule is ok. Sure id prefer racing back to the line, there does need to be a way for guys to get back onto the lead lap.

I agree with you. I'd prefer racing back to the line but I don't think NASCAR will backtrack on that. Under current racing conditions half of the field is a lap down before the midway point of most races. There has to be some way for guys who've lost a lap to get an opportunity to get a lap back.

call_me_andrew
4th June 2009, 05:34
I think double file restarts will penalise unfairly the race leader.Say he has a comfortable 5 second lead when caution comes out,under the current restart with racey cars on the inside,the leader (and maybe 2nd) will often get away from the pack and almost restore quite rightly his well earned lead,this will be totally wiped out now.Will it make the racing less exciting,some drivers may now just sit back in 4th or 5th not pushing to catch the leader and just wait for the caution to close the gap.

That's just the general problem with full course cautions. There are but two ways to avoid it in oval racing:
1. Invent a non-pack up caution system like the Indianapolis 500 used before 1979. This is very complicated and less safe.
2. Score races on aggregate time so that the intervals at the moment of caution are added into the finishing order. This confuses fans because the person who finishes the race first may not be the real winner.

I'm fine with the wave around rule. Dover is an example of how that isn't a Lucky Dog because it eliminates luck. There's no more punishment for pitting before a yellow.

Everone seems to like double-file restarts because that's how short tracks restart races, but Sprint Cup isn't a short track series. Nor is it a road racing series. It just happens to have all the problems of a short track series AND a road racing series.

Lee Roy
4th June 2009, 12:52
I'm fine with the wave around rule. Dover is an example of how that isn't a Lucky Dog because it eliminates luck. There's no more punishment for pitting before a yellow.

The "wave around" rule is the same thing as the "Lucky Dog", but for more cars.

Sparky1329
4th June 2009, 21:24
Here we go:

NASCAR changes restart rules, goes with the double-file option

http://www.thatsracin.com/140/story/10864.html

willracefan
5th June 2009, 00:16
this is gonna be interesting.

RaceFanStan
5th June 2009, 02:32
Yeah, I do agree the lead lap drivers in a double-file restart is a good idea.
IMO the lap down drivers have been racing the leap-lap drivers much too hard. :eek:

Haulin'AssAndTurnin Left
5th June 2009, 09:51
I Salute them.

Now maybe they will listen about other things like getting rid of the chase.

OK thats just wishful thinking i know.

Lee Roy
5th June 2009, 14:35
I'm not fond of the "wave around" rule, but if this gets us double file restarts, I can live with it.