PDA

View Full Version : Ozzy Sues Iommi for rights to the black sabbath name

harsha
1st June 2009, 12:14
http://music-mix.ew.com/2009/05/ozzy-sues-iommi.html?cid=153610747#comment-153610747

“It is with great regret that I had to resort to legal action against my long term partner, Tony Iommi, but after three years of trying to resolve this issue amicably, I feel I have no other recourse. As of the mid-1990’s, after constant and numerous changes in band members, the brand of "Black Sabbath" was literally in the toilet and Tony Iommi (touring under the name Black Sabbath) was reduced to performing in clubs. Since 1997 when Geezer, Bill and myself rejoined the band, Black Sabbath has returned to its former glory as we headlined sold-out arenas and amphitheatres playing to upwards of 50,000 people at each show around the world. We worked collectively to restore credibility and bring dignity back to the name “Black Sabbath” which lead to the band being inducted into the UK and US Rock & Roll Hall of Fames in 2005 and 2006, respectively. Throughout the last 12 years, it was my management representatives who oversaw the marketing and quality control of the “Black Sabbath” brand through OZZFEST, touring, merchandising and album reissues. The name "Black Sabbath" now has a worldwide prestige and merchandising value that it would not have had by continuing on the road it was on prior to the 1997 reunion tour. Tony, I am so sorry it’s had to get to this point by me having to take this action against you. I don’t have the right to speak for Geezer and Bill, but I feel that morally and ethically the trademark should be owned by the four of us equally. I hope that by me taking this first step that it will ultimately end up that way. We’ve all worked too hard and long in our careers to allow you to sell merchandise that features all our faces, old Black Sabbath album covers and band logos, and then you tell us that you own the copyright. We’re all in our 60’s now. The Black Sabbath legacy should live on long after we have all gone. Please do the right thing.”

my foot,it's about the money....Iommi made Sabbath not this ****ed up retard.

Him,his drug infested flea bitten family can come and KMA

ShiftingGears
1st June 2009, 12:57
I think he has a fair point.

Rudy Tamasz
1st June 2009, 13:14
It should read "Sharon Osbourne Sues Iommi for rights to the black sabbath name". The old drunkard is nothing but his wife's money making machine. She was mean enough when she (with Ozzy, of course) re-recorded Ozzy's old albums with new musicians to strip Bob Daisley, Don Airey and Lee Kerslake of the royalties, now she's back for Tony's money. What a .....

The bottom line is, Tony made Sabbath what it became and Ozzy wasn't even contributing in their golden days. Now Tony has enough integrity to play with one of the Sabbath stellar line-ups and still use a different name (Heaven and Hell). Ozzy may as well shut the sabbath up and film another reality show.

harsha
1st June 2009, 18:52
don't forget the disgusting treatment meted out to Iron Maiden and music fans in general in the ozzfest 2005

and I agree with Rudy 100%

Storm
2nd June 2009, 06:32
What an idiot.

Dave B
2nd June 2009, 07:50
It should read "Sharon Osbourne Sues Iommi for rights to the black sabbath name". The old drunkard is nothing but his wife's money making machine. She was mean enough when she (with Ozzy, of course) re-recorded Ozzy's old albums with new musicians to strip Bob Daisley, Don Airey and Lee Kerslake of the royalties, now she's back for Tony's money. What a .....

For some strange reason Sharon is seen as a shining beacon of womanhood among certain groups in this country. Her failed chat-show, her ability to turn on the waterworks to order on "talent" shows and to pretend to shop in Asda for adverts has projected this soft fluffy caring image; when in fact it's more truthful to say she is a spiteful and vindictive hag.

Oh, and she won some "mother of the year" award despite at least one of her kids undergoing rehab for drug addiction at the time. As they say over the pond: go figure :s

Rudy Tamasz
2nd June 2009, 12:44
Yeah, and guess who masterminded Ozzy's biting the head off a dove in his record comany's office for the sake of publicity? And publicity they got... :\

Mark in Oshawa
10th June 2009, 20:05
When I read that, I knew it wasn't Ozzy saying that. There wasn't an eff bomb in sight......

Sad...