PDA

View Full Version : Briatore could buy Renault

CNR
28th May 2009, 11:04
http://www.wheels24.co.za/Content/FormulaOne/14/f99d7d5ec0b1433da0f0b356f4dc6fdc/28-05-2009%2011-05/Briatore_could_buy_Renault_

Flavio Briatore could buy Renault's F1 team and continue to run it in 2010 and beyond, according to media reports.

The reports, in Italy's Autosprint and also carried by the Dutch publication Formule 1 Race Report, tie in with persistent rumours that the French carmaker is contemplating pulling out of the sport at the end of this season.

It is suggested that, amid the slump in new car sales, three seasons of average race results, the expiring contract of title sponsor ING, and the likely departure of Fernando Alonso, Renault - already threatening to quit over the Max Mosley rules dispute - is set to decide the time is right to step out.

christophulus
28th May 2009, 11:06
Briatore GP?

It'll only happen if they agree to budget capping. Can't see him finding enough cash to keep it going at the current rate.

555-04Q2
28th May 2009, 11:06
That would be great but he would have to sell his yatcht and a few other assests first to get the cash. With the current world financial crisis I dont think any bank or investor would be willing to fork out the amount of dough that Renault would want for the team.

Knock-on
28th May 2009, 11:11
That would be great but he would have to sell his yatcht and a few other assests first to get the cash. With the current world financial crisis I dont think any bank or investor would be willing to fork out the amount of dough that Renault would want for the team.

It depends what contracts are in place with staff and suppliers.

It would probably cost Renault more to disband the team than to hand it over for free.

555-04Q2
28th May 2009, 11:14
It depends what contracts are in place with staff and suppliers.

It would probably cost Renault more to disband the team than to hand it over for free.

Could be :up:

I think though that Renault would want something out the deal at least. Current market conditions however may favour your suggestion of a "take it as it is for free" deal :up:

Knock-on
28th May 2009, 11:23
What Renault have in their favour is that if there is a budget cap, someone may want to buy a team but I doubt it.

V12
28th May 2009, 11:24
Maybe he could sell his stake in QPR to fund it. I'm fairly sure that he has more independent wealth than, Ross Brawn for instance, and if we wound up in a situation like Honda/Brawn where Renault finds it cheaper to fund it for an additional year than shut it down and pay everyone off, it could at least get them through 2010 and take it from there.

Either way, while I don't care much for the guy, he's been around the sport long enough and I'd welcome a further move away from manufacturer/sponsor ownership and back to team-principal ownership that the sport really needs.

F1boat
28th May 2009, 11:40
Flavio GP lol

ioan
28th May 2009, 12:11
Briatore GP?

It'll only happen if they agree to budget capping. Can't see him finding enough cash to keep it going at the current rate.

Don't underestimate him.

ioan
28th May 2009, 12:13

Renault will sell the team for 1 pence, no worries about that.
Running the team for one year costs them 300.000.000 USD, selling it costs nothing, great deal for Renault!

Knock-on
28th May 2009, 14:19
I think you will find it is £1 in this country ;)

ioan
28th May 2009, 14:28
I think you will find it is £1 in this country ;)

That's overpriced, just like about anything over there! :p :

DexDexter
28th May 2009, 17:41
Briatore owning a team might not be such a bad idea, the guy gets things done. Maybe he could bring Benetton back, Benetton-Renault wouldn't sound bad at all.

Jag_Warrior
28th May 2009, 18:01
FFR (Flavor Flav Racing).

Yeeeeah, boyeeee!!!

Fight the power, Flavio. Fight the power...

Sonic
28th May 2009, 18:05
It certainly seems likely that renault are out of here soon so flav taking over will certainly be a positive in terms of saving jobs and keeping teams on the grid, but would he really want to? He's poured squillions into QPR and its got them nowhere so why would he pour yet more into a team that is on a downward trend.

28th May 2009, 18:30
Briatore could buy Renault

The operative word in this is "could"

wmcot
29th May 2009, 07:21
...and he could market a line of clothing to help finance his team. Hmm. History might be repeating itself! ;)

AJP
29th May 2009, 08:41
FFR (Flavor Flav Racing).

Yeeeeah, boyeeee!!!

Fight the power, Flavio. Fight the power...

:)

jens
29th May 2009, 23:20
Uhh, hasn't Briatore hinted for a few years that he is going to retire from F1?! But anyway, I remember such rumours existing already in 2005, so probably they have been only empty ones...

Probably he tries to emulate Brawn, whose success has turned him almost into a legend by now. Surely Flav wants to be one too. :D

ioan
29th May 2009, 23:25
Uhh, hasn't Briatore hinted for a few years that he is going to retire from F1?! But anyway, I remember such rumours existing already in 2005, so probably they have been only empty ones...

Probably he tries to emulate Brawn, whose success has turned him almost into a legend by now. Surely Flav wants to be one too. :D

Flavio has already 4 WCC and WDC titles as a team principal, Brawn has lots of catch up to do if he wants to emulate Flavio.

V12
30th May 2009, 00:49
Flavio has already 4 WCC and WDC titles as a team principal, Brawn has lots of catch up to do if he wants to emulate Flavio.

Flavio has always been a hired hand though, either by the Benetton family or the Renault car company. I think he meant emulate Brawn by actually owning the thing.

I don't dispute Flav is good at what he does, and I for one think he would be a success if he did take the team over. But it's all ifs at this stage.

Ari
30th May 2009, 04:36
Flavio GP lol

Come to Flavio Country!

[img]http://deadwhitemales.net/pictures/blogs/marlboro%20man1.jpg]/img]

ioan
30th May 2009, 10:26
Flavio has always been a hired hand though, either by the Benetton family or the Renault car company. I think he meant emulate Brawn by actually owning the thing.

I don't dispute Flav is good at what he does, and I for one think he would be a success if he did take the team over. But it's all ifs at this stage.

Like if being gifted a team is an achievement!
Get real people, Honda designed and developed the BrawnGP car and than gifted the team to Brawn because they could not afford to be seen owning a F1 team while cutting back on their workforce. Also they still fund the team this season.

Knock-on
1st June 2009, 13:23
Like if being gifted a team is an achievement!
Get real people, Honda designed and developed the BrawnGP car and than gifted the team to Brawn because they could not afford to be seen owning a F1 team while cutting back on their workforce. Also they still fund the team this season.

At Ferrari he was part of the "Dream Team". A genius who's involvement and strategy was fundemental to Schumachers championships.

At brawn he's a lucky chancer who has been gifted everything the team has so far achieved. :laugh:

It must really stick in your Craw to be able to swallow such hypocrisy :D

ioan
1st June 2009, 18:54
At Ferrari he was part of the "Dream Team". A genius who's involvement and strategy was fundemental to Schumachers championships.

At brawn he's a lucky chancer who has been gifted everything the team has so far achieved. :laugh:

Wow, did I just ran over your wife's Chihuahua?!

I stay by my opinion, he's got lucky having the team gifted to him + one year funding from Honda.

Now, try contradicting me with something more than smelly hot air.

christophulus
1st June 2009, 19:41
I stay by my opinion, he's got lucky having the team gifted to him + one year funding from Honda.

I'm pretty sure he knew how good the car was going to be and hence fought to keep the team running, knowing that a decent showing this year would make it work long term. If the car was another dog I doubt he would have bothered and the team would have shut down over the winter.

He has lucked into it, in some ways, but it was at least partly down to Brawn that the car has turned out so well. He's clearly good at what he does!

Knock-on
2nd June 2009, 09:57
Wow, did I just ran over your wife's Chihuahua?!

Now, try contradicting me with something more than smelly hot air.

I think it was Arnold Palmer that said:

"The more I practice, the luckier I get". :D

RB obviously saw an opportunity to transform Honda as he helped to do at Ferrari.

It is my belief that he wouldn't have moved there unless he had a free hand as he had everything to lose and little to prove.

He joined Honda and realised that fundemental changes needed to happen. These he started to put in plcae including stopping last years development to concentrate on this years car.

Honda folded and he showed a huge amount of skill and detirmination to secure the team and assume ownership. It wasn't "gifted" to him but he had to work his ass off to keep the team.

He has turned around the team since taking control and is embarrassing teams with vastly greater budgets.

Lucky bugger. Even you could have done at least what he has done just as you would have won all the GP this year if you were driving the Brawn instead of a backmarker like Button and if Schumcaher was owner / driver of the old Honda team, both championships would have been wrapped up by now :laugh:

ioan
2nd June 2009, 13:06
Guys no matter how you twist and you express your ave for Ross Brawn, he didn't buy the team,it was gifted to him because it was cheaper for Honda to get out this way.

Back to the thread, Briatore achieved much more than Ross Brawn as a team principal, this was my point and I backed it up with FACTS.

ArrowsFA1
2nd June 2009, 13:23
Back to the thread, Briatore achieved much more than Ross Brawn as a team principal, this was my point and I backed it up with FACTS.
To be fair Briatore has been a team princial a lot longer than Brawn, and quite a bit of Flav's success came with Ross at Benetton.

As for being "lucky"...just think...Briatore might still be selling jumpers if it wasn't for Luciano Benetton :p :

2nd June 2009, 14:16
I think you've got the jist of it there Knock-on... I will agree with ioan though.. That Ross Brawn has been a pretty lucky little chappy over the years. 1991 was an extremely lucky year for Ross when he designed the Jaguar XJR-14 which by fluke won the World Sportscar Championship. Some say he designed the car on the back of a cigarette packet after several lines of coke and a late night drinking session at the now legendary 'Penny Black Pub' in Bicester, Oxfordshire.

Ross Brawn didn't design it. Tony Southgate did.

2nd June 2009, 14:20
He has turned around the team since taking control and is embarrassing teams with vastly greater budgets.

Not sure that is really the case, since most of last years honda budget was ploughed into this years "Brawn".

The notion that "Brawn" is a plucky under-dog is only semi factual. Yes, they have no direct manufacturer support and no direct sponsorship, but the bills have all been paid for and Honda spent a fortune getting the team and car to where it is.

It's a good story, but it's not a fairy tale rags-to-riches one.

Knock-on
2nd June 2009, 14:56
Not sure that is really the case, since most of last years honda budget was ploughed into this years "Brawn".

The notion that "Brawn" is a plucky under-dog is only semi factual. Yes, they have no direct manufacturer support and no direct sponsorship, but the bills have all been paid for and Honda spent a fortune getting the team and car to where it is.

It's a good story, but it's not a fairy tale rags-to-riches one.

I would say that Honda spend a great deal of time and money getting the team to where they were at this point last year. It was a mess and if Honda were still in F1 and Brawn wasn't on the scene, I suggest they would be keeping BMW happy no matter how good Button is.

Nobody denies that Honda have liabilities that they have to honour this year which relieves a lot of pressure off Brawn GP but after this year, that will be over.

ioan
2nd June 2009, 15:36
I would say that Honda spend a great deal of time and money getting the team to where they were at this point last year.

Honda paid for everything until now and does still pay hundreds of millions this season, they didn't stop doing it 1 year ago.
Distorting reality is what you always try to do, but I got news for you, the reality doesn't change in order to suit your fantasies.

The reality behind Ross Brawn success is that year's Honda F1 (some like to call it BrawnGP even if it was designed by Honda F1), has been designed for 12 months at least and it was done with a blank cheque from the Japanese manufacturer.

A couple more races and the F60 with much less development will kick their behind in great style, and that is when the technical excellence will show it's value over all the money and the time (not to mention dodgy rule interpretations) from Honda!

ioan
2nd June 2009, 16:09
Ross Brawn didn't design it. Tony Southgate did.

You're so mean Tam, how do you dare spoiling people's wet dreams! ;)

2nd June 2009, 18:24
Once again you spoke too soon and forgot to do your research :p

As did you too since Ross did not "design" the XJR-14.

Admittedly, I relied on memory and not research, but you'll have to forgive me as I was busy working on the Le Mans winning car in 1991.

ioan
2nd June 2009, 20:11
Yeah we both got the Ross Brawn thing slightly wrong between us, but I wasn't having a dig at you, more the childish dig that came afterwards by someone who obviously had little knowledge of the subject :p

:rotflmao:

DexDexter
2nd June 2009, 21:37
Wow thats pretty cool Tamb I had no idea you were involved in such an amazing car!! Did you used to live in Japan or what? My uncle has Jan Lammers race suit and helmet from 1988 which I used to find amazing as a child, hopefully I'll inherit it one day, fingers crossed I've dropped enough hints :)

Yeah we both got the Ross Brawn thing slightly wrong between us, but I wasn't having a dig at you, more the childish dig that came afterwards by someone who obviously had little knowledge of the subject :p

Maybe you should start a Tamburello fanclub now. :)

ioan
2nd June 2009, 23:13
Err yeah exactly :rotflmao:

I'm surprised you got that ioan :p

That you're childish or very "funny", or both?!
Either of them wasn't a difficult guess!
:rotflmao: