PDA

View Full Version : GPS Navigation Systems

Valve Bounce
28th May 2009, 06:13
I have been toying with the thought of buy a GPS, and am confused at the wide range of prices of these devices. For instance, Harvey Norman and Big W sells the cheapest one for around $150, whereas, you can get more expensive ones costing around $600.

So!! what's the difference between the cheaper ones and the expensive ones and why the great difference in price? If I buy a cheaper one, am I going to get lost? Am I going to find my way around better with an expensive one?

Can anyone please give me an update about these things? Thanks.

Hondo
28th May 2009, 06:40
I read the other day the entire gps satellite system needs about $2 billion worth of upgrades, replacement, and maintainence or it will begin failing, I believe, in 2011.

I'd go with a map and compass, batteries not required.

Eki
28th May 2009, 07:04
I have been toying with the thought of buy a GPS, and am confused at the wide range of prices of these devices. For instance, Harvey Norman and Big W sells the cheapest one for around $150, whereas, you can get more expensive ones costing around $600.

So!! what's the difference between the cheaper ones and the expensive ones and why the great difference in price? If I buy a cheaper one, am I going to get lost? Am I going to find my way around better with an expensive one?

Can anyone please give me an update about these things? Thanks.
I think the more expensive ones may have wider selection of maps, and they often have needless functions like MP3-player and video or photo displaying abilities.

Mark
28th May 2009, 10:34
I think the more expensive ones may have wider selection of maps, and they often have needless functions like MP3-player and video or photo displaying abilities.

Yes, as often with these things, The model above the base model is satisfactory for most of your needs. The best way to find out of course is get to a website such as www.tomtom.com (http://www.tomtom.com) and look! They have a good breakdown of what each of their models does and doesn't do.

I'd recommend something like a TomTom ONE, does everything you need a satnav to do, and doesn't try to be an iPod or handsfree car kit or DVD player like many of the more expensive models.

If you can check them out in the shop the most important thing is the carity of the map display, since that's what you're going to be relying on when navigating complex junctions.

Oh, and remember when driving with it do not set Brain=OFF, keep it as Brain=ON and make sure the "Don't drive down roads which aren't actually roads" function active at all times :p

Valve Bounce
29th May 2009, 06:11
OK!! my question here is made more obvious when I visit teh Tom Tom ebsite and then check out their recommended outlet. The least expensive on is $239, while the others range from $340 up to around $700. Now, as I stated in my lead post, I can go to Harvey Norman and get a different make for $155 less 15% this week. Would I be OK if I bought the cheaper one from Harvey Norman? Maybe they don't come with a mout, which will cost me around $60. Who knows?? :confused:

On checking google, there are a myriad of makes and models, all ranging from $200 to $700. I think I'll go into town and have a look.

Magnus
29th May 2009, 06:38
Well, even the cheapest one will be very accurate, but as always you can have a vast range of different functions.

GridGirl
29th May 2009, 06:49
I currently use a TomTom One which is basically an entry level model that only has UK mapping. In the UK you can pay more for European mapping etc. but I guess that you wont be taking a sat nav outside of Austrailia Valve so you won't be looking for features like that.

I originally started out with with a TomTom One and swapped to a RoadAngel 7000 when it got stolen. I swapped to the RoadAngel because it was compatible with memory map. It ended up coming in handy a few times when heavy fog came in suddenly when we were up a mountain and we lost our path. As a sat nav it was average and I ended up buying another TomTom One. The RoadAngel was more compliated to use and often sent me on stupid routes. My favourite comment was when it said 'turn slightly right/left' if you were on a road that wasn't bolt straight and were driving along even the slightest of bends.

We've since bought a Garmin Colarado GPS for when we're hiking, cycling and geocaching and rarely use the RoadAngel now. If I was going to deviate from TomTom I'd probably look at Garmin before anything else.

Mark
29th May 2009, 08:13
OK!! my question here is made more obvious when I visit teh Tom Tom ebsite and then check out their recommended outlet. The least expensive on is $239, while the others range from $340 up to around $700. Now, as I stated in my lead post, I can go to Harvey Norman and get a different make for $155 less 15% this week. Would I be OK if I bought the cheaper one from Harvey Norman? Maybe they don't come with a mout, which will cost me around $60. Who knows?? :confused:

On checking google, there are a myriad of makes and models, all ranging from $200 to $700. I think I'll go into town and have a look.

It'll likely be a model with few features, a less sensitive GPS receiver and maybe only the major roads rather than all of them.

Best advice, ask google and look for reviews of the one you are looking at.

Valve Bounce
29th May 2009, 12:58
It'll likely be a model with few features, a less sensitive GPS receiver and maybe only the major roads rather than all of them.

Best advice, ask google and look for reviews of the one you are looking at.

Good point. Most of them do have reviews.

555-04Q2
29th May 2009, 13:03
In Seth Efrica the Garmin is by far the most popular with easily the majority of the market. The Tom Tom though has far a better record though for customer satisfaction.

What you need to do Valve is decide what your main requirement from the system is and buy a unit so suit your needs. The price difference is normally for different screen size options, standard maps downloads, extra MP3 players, voice assistance, multiple language options etc etc. More than half the stuff you will never use.

Jag_Warrior
29th May 2009, 15:54

That's one major problem a cheaper unit may have. I received a Cobra nav as a gift several years ago. Other than playing around with it, I'd never really used it until a few weeks ago. Even though I chose the "shortest route" option on my trip, it put me on the major roads. The only way I could get on what I knew was the shortest route was to find the road myself... and then it took me from there.

So I agree: I'd google the models being considered and then try to find an independent review site. My uncle has a Garmin and is very happy with it. I've heard good things about Tom Tom, but have never used or seen one in action.

Valve Bounce
30th May 2009, 02:31
OK! there's the Binatone at Big W : http://catalogues.bigw.com.au/portal/offerdetails/binatone_gps/12432051922072?Ntt=GPS+Navigation&Ntk=Primary&N=0&source=search
Which has the safety camera alert pre-installed. I mean if this works, it could actually save more in speed fines than it costs, which is just under $200.

So, what do you think?

GridGirl
30th May 2009, 20:12
Most satnavs keep have speed camera alerts these days. You do have to make sure you keep them updated though.

Valve Bounce
3rd June 2009, 04:28
Most satnavs keep have speed camera alerts these days. You do have to make sure you keep them updated though.

Made the plunge and bought a NAVMAN for AUD$198. Am about to open the box and read the instructions now. Any advice on how to update the GPS using my PC?

Jag_Warrior
18th June 2009, 23:12
That's one major problem a cheaper unit may have. I received a Cobra nav as a gift several years ago. Other than playing around with it, I'd never really used it until a few weeks ago. Even though I chose the "shortest route" option on my trip, it put me on the major roads. The only way I could get on what I knew was the shortest route was to find the road myself... and then it took me from there.

So I agree: I'd google the models being considered and then try to find an independent review site. My uncle has a Garmin and is very happy with it. I've heard good things about Tom Tom, but have never used or seen one in action.

I guess I jinxed myself. Last week I finally (really) needed my GPS to find a town that I'd never been to before. 20 miles from my house, the old Cobra froze up on me. It thought that I was still sitting in my driveway. No choice but to stop by the local Walmart and buy something... anything that I could figure out in about 10 minutes. I went for a Garmin 205W (which I now see that I paid too much for... going back this weekend). But it's MUCH smaller than the Cobra and seems like a nice little unit. It doesn't have any bells or whistles, but it does all I need it to do (get me where I need to be!).

But the reason I pulled this thread back up is because I saw this:

Going Beyond Handsets
For example, Apple now allows users to download apps that provide turn-by-turn directions while you drive, and the iPhone's big screen makes it an excellent navigation device. One of those apps, from TomTom, is actually a whole driving kit that includes a window mount. The iPhone now threatens both standalone personal navigation devices and wireless carriers' subscription navigation services.

I don't have an iPhone, but it's something to think about for those who are looking at getting one. What can't an iPhone do at this point? They're probably working on an app that cooks dinner and rubs your neck in the evening (and never complains or asks for money). At that point, I'm darn sure going to get one.

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/jun2009/tc20090617_040512.htm?chan=rss_topStories_ssi_5