PDA

View Full Version : USF1

drewdawg727
25th May 2009, 16:23
So we heard during the broadcasts that Peter Windsor has officially registered the team to compete in 2010.
What drivers do you think he'll be going after? I honestly haven't heard much about this at all except for the team being created so maybe you all can add some insight.
I did read in the F1 Racing mag that they were looking at Jonathan Summerton and JR Hildebrand, as well as Ryan Hunter-Reay. They refuted that they were looking at Danica Patrick and Marco Andretti.

Any more info on this?

VkmSpouge
25th May 2009, 18:15
Just a load of rumours flying around about who they may or may not sign to drive for them. They really can't go much further in their preparations for 2010 until their entry has been accepted and all this rule wrangling between the teams and FIA is sorted out.

Nikki Katz
25th May 2009, 18:17
Max will have to back down to at least some of the manufacturers' demands, so it may not be possible for all the new teams registering to actually be able to race next year. I bet he'll keep their deposit though.

N. Jones
25th May 2009, 21:53
All I know is that during the grid walk Peter Windsor said that there will be two American drivers in 2010. I can only guess that he meant that they will be driving for his team next season. Other than that it is speculation, although I am convinced that USF1 will try everything possible to get Danica Patrick in F1. Barring that I don't know who they will try to sign.

drinkyourmilk
25th May 2009, 22:00
All I know is Peter Windsor during the grid walk said that there will be two American drivers in 2010. I can only guess that he meant that they will be driving for his team next season. Other than that it is speculation, although I am convinced that USF1 will try everything possible to get Danica Patrick in F1. Barring that I don't know who they will try to sign.

I really hope you're joking. She's had.. one win..
There are plenty of other good options. I hate that because she's female she suddenly HAS to be hired by anyone and is the center of attention.
Face it.. she's an average driver in the world of racing. Not F1 material.
If they were serious about this they'd look for someone more competitive. Not just a pretty face.

drewdawg727
25th May 2009, 22:15
All I know is that during the grid walk Peter Windsor said that there will be two American drivers in 2010. I can only guess that he meant that they will be driving for his team next season. Other than that it is speculation, although I am convinced that USF1 will try everything possible to get Danica Patrick in F1. Barring that I don't know who they will try to sign.

Danica Patrick has no business racing in F1. She should stay on the ovals where she can finish high. She would get eaten alive in F1.

race_director
25th May 2009, 22:49
well why care really. when we know that the team would be finishing in between 22-26th in most of the races. I would rather love danica to be one of the drivers, atleast team can have a bit of attention due to her. And would love to see here crash in all races, or she see being shown a finger by alonso/trulli for letting them past, while being lapped

mstillhere
26th May 2009, 02:53
There are plenty of other good options. I hate that because she's female she suddenly HAS to be hired by anyone and is the center of attention.
If they were serious about this they'd look for someone more competitive. Not just a pretty face.

I actually have no problem with Danica racing in F1 representing women drivers. I would also like to see a more diversified kind of driver line up. Danica for women, I see why not having a represenative for the gay community. I think a muslim driver is in the working, and so on. As fas as their driving skills in "F1" there has to be room even for the average drivers representing the not that good drivers in the world, such as myself. And if that would bring even more money that would be a nice bonus. Good/bad drivesr it does not matter. Money rules. YOU the spectator, YOU'll get used to it as some of you are already saying that a two tear championship is acceptable. So.....

call_me_andrew
26th May 2009, 04:52
It doesn't matter if she can win or not. Sponsors love her. These days, that's more important than winning.

AJP
26th May 2009, 08:20
It doesn't matter if she can win or not. Sponsors love her. These days, that's more important than winning.

As long as she knows this.

Even if Danica gets a drive, she will never come close to anything other than the back of the field.

harsh I know...

Blancvino
26th May 2009, 15:25

I've got 6 of your favorite malted beverages that say you are wrong about Danica Patrick.

Jag_Warrior
26th May 2009, 17:52
Danica will be in Formula One next year... if she buys a ticket to a race or scores a free pass from someone. Other than that, this is fantasy talk.

The rumor out of Indy is that her management group (IMG?) is trying to wrangle a NASCAR contract for her. She wants the money, whether a year in NASCAR confirms her mediocrity or not.

Back to reality... I don't know who USF1 is looking at, though I've heard Summerton's name mentioned too. I was in the Charlotte area last week but I'm not sure where their shop is located. I'm still not convinced that this won't be another stillborn team though.

N. Jones
26th May 2009, 19:43

Danica Patrick has no business racing in F1. She should stay on the ovals where she can finish high. She would get eaten alive in F1.

She gets a lot of attention in the US and the goal of a team oddly named USF1 is to bring as much attention (and cash) from US companies as possible. This country is or was the largest economy in the world and all of the manufacturers would love to woo some American cash into their businesses.

I am NOT saying she would be great, I am just answering the question. I truly believe Windsor and Anderson are going to pursue her as long as they can.

Jag_Warrior
27th May 2009, 00:30
A nation which has built its governmental structure on the mighty Roman Republic is going to send Jojo the three toed gimp to contest the pinnacle of motorsports. All because Jojo will attract attention.

I guess Lily Allen is right...

I want to be rich, and I want lots of money
I don't care about clever; I don't care about funny
I want loads of clothes and f###loads of diamonds
I heard people die while they're trying to find them

And I'll take my clothes off, and it will be shameless
'Cuz everyone knows that's how you get famous
I'll look at the sun, and I'll look in the mirror
I'm on the right track, yeah, I'm onto a winner

I don't know what's right and what's real anymore
And I don't know how I'm meant to feel anymore
When d'ye think it will all become clear?
'Cuz I'm being taken over by The Fear

Kevincal
27th May 2009, 01:10
Would be cool if the 2 drivers were Marco Andretti & Danica Patrick.

Just the fact of having an Andretti back in F1 and the curiosity to see Danica in F1. ;)

nigelred5
27th May 2009, 02:28
At least that may result in two more deserving drivers in seats at AGR

call_me_andrew
27th May 2009, 02:41
The rumor out of Indy is that her management group (IMG?) is trying to wrangle a NASCAR contract for her. She wants the money, whether a year in NASCAR confirms her mediocrity or not.

Back to reality... I don't know who USF1 is looking at, though I've heard Summerton's name mentioned too. I was in the Charlotte area last week but I'm not sure where their shop is located. I'm still not convinced that this won't be another stillborn team though.

I suspect the NASCAR contract is just a ploy. Danica drives for AGR and the only two teams in IndyCar worth driving for are Penske and Ganassi, and they're not hiring. By leveraging NASCAR, she can get more money from AGR.

I believe they purchased a shop from Joe Gibbs Racing. But I don't know where it's located.

Jag_Warrior
27th May 2009, 03:20
I suspect the NASCAR contract is just a ploy. Danica drives for AGR and the only two teams in IndyCar worth driving for are Penske and Ganassi, and they're not hiring. By leveraging NASCAR, she can get more money from AGR.

I believe they purchased a shop from Joe Gibbs Racing. But I don't know where it's located.

That's one of those Robin Miller rumors from Sunday night's Wind Bag. He claims it's for real this time. So says Robin... it's not just her dad leg humping NASCAR owners and then claiming that he is in negotiations.

If F1 implodes, then it's anybody's guess - there might not even be a (real) F1 next year. But Danica, a person who at the ripe old age of 27 has never won the first road course race in an automobile (other than that "prestigious" class win at Long Beach, behind the pro swimmer, was it?)... why not just give the drive to Kim Kardashian. She couldn't get her hips in the car, you say? Trust me, I'll go to the races and make sure that she squeezes into that car. Just back up Reggie. I'm only doing this cause it's my job.

Jokes aside, these suggestions of Marco and Danica in F1 mean that the U.S. effort is nothing more than a publicity stunt. If that's all it's going to be, then I'm going Rush Limbaugh on this: I hope that they fail.

wmcot
27th May 2009, 06:15

Sarah Fisher???

D28
27th May 2009, 16:39
I don't believe that the movers of USF1 would go to all the trouble of starting a team from scratch, to sign up Danica Patrick to drive. The NA media hype for Patrick is based on her relative success as an oval racer. She has a victory and a podium (Indy no less), so there is a reasonalbe chance she could win again on ovals. The media does not mention that her victory is her only win ever in professional racing. By her own admission, she is not up to speed on road courses, but the F1 calendar currently has a dearth of oval circuits.

A new team would require a solid development/test driver, yet she has very few such skills, relying on her team to set up the car.

In F1 she would face a totally different atmosphere, no nurturing or coddling as she is used to in IRL, just cut-throat competition. Her theatrical antics would cut absolutely no ice.

Americans would support a team with competitive drivers in the mode of Mario Andretti, Hill, Gurney and Ginther, it's also certain how they would react to a driver struggling to remain on the lead lap in most races. This rumour may be just a ploy to raise interest in the new team, for the sake of F1 in America, I certainly hope so.

keysersoze
27th May 2009, 18:12
I hear Ryan Hunter-Reay's car-development abilities are pretty sub-standard. And since Danica just lets Tony Kanaan set her car up, I'd say she would be a lousy choice--if they were interested in actually, you know, competing.

If they were trying to be the best they could be in the first year, they would go with Scott Speed and Townsend Bell. The latter raced GP2 (or F3000) and knows many of the tracks.

Dario Franchitti, Scott Dixon, Will Power, and Ryan Briscoe would be solid shoes. If Bourdais gets booted by STR, he would be quite valuable. But none of these fellows are American.

woody2goody
27th May 2009, 22:27
Danica's a solid oval racer, but only a decent road racer.

I think she would struggle in F1 to be honest. For example if she had the Brawn to drive she would probably be coming 7th-10th instead of winning. Not bad, but severely down on what Jenson and Rubens can do.

She's not the worst I've ever seen but if she's half a second per lap down on her team-mates in identical cars then she's probably not F1 material. i personally think Sarah Fisher is better although she's a veteran so I'm not sure USF1 would consider her.

I think the drivers will probably be Jonathan Summerton and maybe Marco Andretti. I'm not sure how good Marco is, and I don't think he's great, but he does have F1 experience with Honda so he'd at least be aware of what to do and make a good fist of it.

D28
27th May 2009, 23:42
I think the drivers will probably be Jonathan Summerton and maybe Marco Andretti. I'm not sure how good Marco is, and I don't think he's great, but he does have F1 experience with Honda so he'd at least be aware of what to do and make a good fist of it.

His grandfather was World Champion and his father drove part of a season for McLaren, but Marco has no F1 experience that I am aware of.
Could you please explain this.

N. Jones
28th May 2009, 00:13
A nation which has built its governmental structure on the mighty Roman Republic is going to send Jojo the three toed gimp to contest the pinnacle of motorsports. All because Jojo will attract attention.

I guess Lily Allen is right...

I want to be rich, and I want lots of money
I don't care about clever; I don't care about funny
I want loads of clothes and f###loads of diamonds
I heard people die while they're trying to find them

And I'll take my clothes off, and it will be shameless
'Cuz everyone knows that's how you get famous
I'll look at the sun, and I'll look in the mirror
I'm on the right track, yeah, I'm onto a winner

I don't know what's right and what's real anymore
And I don't know how I'm meant to feel anymore
When d'ye think it will all become clear?
'Cuz I'm being taken over by The Fear

It's all about money, friend. Take anything that the rich fight over - taxes, access rights, control over (name it) and there is one thing everyone wants - money, moolah, cashish, the benjamins, etc.
Sad But True.

N. Jones
28th May 2009, 00:18
I hope USF1 picks drivers that will learn the ways of F1 while having enough talent to be viewed as a success. This is especially true since it takes a new team five years before they become a points and/or a podium contender.

Jag_Warrior
28th May 2009, 02:13
It's all about money, friend. Take anything that the rich fight over - taxes, access rights, control over (name it) and there is one thing everyone wants - money, moolah, cashish, the benjamins, etc.
Sad But True.

And how are Jaguar and Honda doing in the FIA Formula One Constructors Championship these days? ;)

What I'm saying is, you don't come into Formula One and showboat your way to success. There's a long, long list of dead teams that thought they could, but found out the hard way that they couldn't. Even with proven and competent drivers (which Danica is not, not at this level anyway), it's hard enough. But with someone who brings little more than a (reasonably) pretty face, no demonstrated ability to set up a formula car and only the ability to run near the front on ovals... in cars that have roughly the horsepower to weight ratio of a GP2 car... I feel that it would be a safe bet that the USF1 expedition would be a rather short one. I think that would be a shame. But as long as my tax dollars aren't supporting the effort, whatever they do is whatever they do.

In my experience, people who try to achieve success only by chasing the dollar, quite often wind up with neither.

Jag_Warrior
28th May 2009, 02:28
His grandfather was World Champion and his father drove part of a season for McLaren, but Marco has no F1 experience that I am aware of.

Woody may know of something else, but AFAIK Marco did a test or two with Honda. That's all.

Danica was supposed to have an F1 test last year too. But for whatever reason, that didn't happen. One site reported that she had tested an F1 car for Honda... and had done very well. :confused: When I wrote to the site and asked them when and where this happened, they promised to get me the location and testing times. That's been about 8 months ago... and I'm still waiting. I guess their Photoshop/Google machine thingy is broken or sumthin'. :rolleyes:

Marco and Danica... One has a name. The other has a face. Why people think that qualifies either one to be a (legitimate) F1 driver, I can't figure out. Neither has the results to back up even 1/10 of the hype they get. I do give Marco props for at least attempting A1GP though. But The Danica wanted to be paid extra to participate in the series, which would/could have helped her develop her lacking road racing skills.

It's not that I hate either of these two people. But having these two overhyped underperformers representing my country in the world of F1? Look, I caught enough hell on these boards when Dubya Bush was President. Why would I invite any more abuse from youse guys from around the world? :D

woody2goody
28th May 2009, 03:02

Just what Jag said really that he did a few tests with Honda. He wasn't anything special but he was decent. He has no F1 racing experience :)

N. Jones
28th May 2009, 03:08
And how are Jaguar and Honda doing in the FIA Formula One Constructors Championship these days? ;)

What I'm saying is, you don't come into Formula One and showboat your way to success. There's a long, long list of dead teams that thought they could, but found out the hard way that they couldn't. Even with proven and competent drivers (which Danica is not, not at this level anyway), it's hard enough. But with someone who brings little more than a (reasonably) pretty face, no demonstrated ability to set up a formula car and only the ability to run near the front on ovals... in cars that have roughly the horsepower to weight ratio of a GP2 car... I feel that it would be a safe bet that the USF1 expedition would be a rather short one. I think that would be a shame. But as long as my tax dollars aren't supporting the effort, whatever they do is whatever they do.

In my experience, people who try to achieve success only by chasing the dollar, quite often wind up with neither.

That is very true. I don't think she wants to drive in F1, and if she did the emphasis would be on her - all car development going her way - that the team would probably suffer.

But, like I said, I don't agree with USF1 trying like hell to sign her. I am just convinced that they are going to pursue her as hard as they can.

Jag_Warrior
28th May 2009, 05:13
I understand your point, N. Jones. But since USF1 has not made the first effort to even contact her (according to Patrick - not even a phone call), I don't believe they're pursuing her at all. Her name came up in the initial press conference to cause a stir... and hasn't been mentioned since.

I think Danica wants to believe she could go to F1. Just like I'd like to believe I could go out to dinner with Angelle Sampey. And really, all it would take in either case is someone saying "yes". But the difference is, I still have a pretty firm grip on reality. I know when I'm out of my league. From what I've read, Danica seems to have improved a good deal this year. But considering what the IRL is (and I'm not being mean here), the fact that she hasn't won even the first IRL race on a road or street circuit (in a series that's more GP2-like than F1-like) pretty much says it all, IMO.

I still have my doubts about USF1 even seeing the light of day. We'll just have to see. But as I said, I do understand your point.

N. Jones
28th May 2009, 14:58
I base my belief on Peter Windsor mentioning her name as a possible driver, or at least hinting that he was very keen on signing her. Whether anyone else at USF1 shares his views is beyond my knowledge.

I know what you mean about USF1 - every good thing we hear about them comes from Anderson or Windsor. We don't know for certain if they have an operation ready to go or not. I hope they do because I would like to see a US based team in F1.

Oli_M
28th May 2009, 22:09
My problem is this:

WHY would someone want to drive for USF1?

-All the top guys are racing in Indycar or NASCAR and earning way more than they would by driving in F1, they are much more appeal-able to the public whose focus is on NASCAR and then Indycar.
-The 'next tier' drivers would be working their way through the NASCAR or Indycar ladder - aiming to get into the top series - why go to F1 and potentially 'lose' their place on the ladder to drive what will be at best a mid-field car in a series that isn't really a feature of US racing?

N. Jones
29th May 2009, 00:07
Your question almost sounds to me like it says "Why does anyone watch F1 in America?"

I don't know what makes people who race for a living want to join a particular car series, but I love F1 because of the cars, tracks, and technology. Whatever reason American race drivers choose for driving with USF1 is their own reason; although the best one is probably "There were no other race seats open."

Sleeper
29th May 2009, 01:21
Looking at the US single seater scene at the moment, I would have to say that I wouldnt hire any of the Americans that are racing there. The best drivers over there all ternd to be European, South American or Antipodean. From what I've seen the best up and coming American is Josef Newgarden, but he's only just started Formula Ford so thats not going to happen.

Easy Drifter
29th May 2009, 01:45
I wish them well. But how about we get a freaking operation started?
Is there a factory? Not that we know of.
Do they have any equipment or machinery to construct a car? Not that we know of.
Do they have a base in Europe now that the team's base they were hoping to use is planning their own F1 entry? Not that we know of.
Is there any sort of a design started? Not that we know of.
They apparently do have Cosworth engines promised.
They apparently have hired one designer with very limited single seat experience.
Have they any other staff? Not that we know of.
Have they any other parts suppliers under contract? Not that we know of.
Do they still operate from the local Starbucks when Windsor is not off on other duties for the Demented Midget? Maybe.
Who in their right mind would even consider driving for them at this point in time?

DexDexter
29th May 2009, 12:52
My problem is this:

WHY would someone want to drive for USF1?

-All the top guys are racing in Indycar or NASCAR and earning way more than they would by driving in F1, they are much more appeal-able to the public whose focus is on NASCAR and then Indycar.
-The 'next tier' drivers would be working their way through the NASCAR or Indycar ladder - aiming to get into the top series - why go to F1 and potentially 'lose' their place on the ladder to drive what will be at best a mid-field car in a series that isn't really a feature of US racing?

Fair arguments, but if a road racer (Nascar is a different discipline) thinks he has extraordinary talent and is ambitious, he will want to drive in F1 even if he is American and has to take a pay cut. If he doesn't and wants to stay at home and earn a nice living it tells that he doesn't have enough ambition, he doesn't want to be the best.

555-04Q2
29th May 2009, 12:56
Your question almost sounds to me like it says "Why does anyone watch F1 in America?"

Cause they are amazed that cars can actually go around tracks other than ovals without crashing ;)

Colin_Harvey
29th May 2009, 13:08
As long as they're only focusing on American drivers, the team will be firmly stuck at the back of any F1 grid... the thought of a completely new team attempting to develop a car with 2 drivers (be it Andretti, Summerton, Patrick, Hunter-Reay or whoever) who have never been anywhere near F1 is laughable.

Brawn GP (although not a completely new team) were wise enough to keep the experienced Barrichello, rather than opt for the inexperience of Bruno Senna. So why is this USF1 team attempting to do it with rookie drivers??

In my opinion, the whole concept is flawed anyway. Basing a team in the US will mean increased transport costs to every race (except possibly Brazil) and limiting the team to employing drivers of a certain nationality, rather than trying to attract the best drivers, is clearly an attempt at a 'gimmick', rather than an attempt to pursue real success.

Jake Stephens
29th May 2009, 14:31
I'll eat my trousers if this team even makes it to the F1 grid.

N. Jones
29th May 2009, 14:34
I wish them well. But how about we get a freaking operation started?
Do they have any equipment or machinery to construct a car? Not that we know of.
Do they have a base in Europe now that the team's base they were hoping to use is planning their own F1 entry? Not that we know of.
They apparently do have Cosworth engines promised.
They apparently have hired one designer with very limited single seat experience.
Have they any other staff? Not that we know of.
Have they any other parts suppliers under contract? Not that we know of.
Do they still operate from the local Starbucks when Windsor is not off on other duties for the Demented Midget? Maybe.
Who in their right mind would even consider driving for them at this point in time?

Well, I know they are based in Charlotte because that is where alot of other race teams in the US are. Other than that I don't know what they have. We'll just have to wait and see....

N. Jones
29th May 2009, 14:35
Cause they are amazed that cars can actually go around tracks other than ovals without crashing ;)
:laugh:

Kevincal
30th May 2009, 01:05
Look, USF1 are going to be bottom feeders regardless of who drives for them! Button was a bottom feeder last year, now look... If you are a professional race car driver in a major series, you have skill.

Although Indy is mostly oval racing, they are racing at incredible speeds. Going around turns at 215-220 miles per hour!? They deserve some respect for doing that for hours on end and not crashing... Nascar is boring as hell and I despise it. Indy is pretty boring to me too, however it is extremely dangerous (much more) when compared to Nascar or F1, and those Indy drivers have some serious balls for even racing at those speeds...

Danica is better than most give her credit for. Also, of course she is a drama queen... SHE IS A FEMALE. That's NORMAL lol... ;) And she would be PERFECT for F1, to "spice up" the show. I can't tell you how tired I am of the cookie cutter Europeans / Brazillians with the same broken English accents repeating the same stupid, worn out cliche phrases when interviewed! Danica is damn good looking too. She would spark a lot of interest, even if she were competing at the back of the field.

Marco Andretti, the name just sounds fit for F1. He would be very popular with the ladies as well... Not to mention the older F1 fans around the world fond of the Andretti name. He has more skill than people give him credit for as well..

F1 is all about generating money & popularity. I can't think of 2 other drivers that wouldn't achieve this result better than the above mentioned. ;) Again, remember, USF1 couldn't even dream of being near the top of the field even with Schumacher & Senna in their prime! ;) Atleast for several years. Brawn is the huge exception, not the rule.

F1 needs a good spicing up, Danica would be perfect for doing just that...

Tazio
30th May 2009, 02:35
Danica would be perfect for :rolleyes:

call_me_andrew
30th May 2009, 04:05

I just told you they bought a shop from Joe Gibbs Racing.

Yes, Ken Anderson has started designing the car.

Although Indy is mostly oval racing, they are racing at incredible speeds. Going around turns at 215-220 miles per hour!?

Actually, most IndyCar races this year are on road courses.

Jag_Warrior
30th May 2009, 17:52
Originally Posted by Kevincal http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=640517#post640517)
Danica would be perfect for

:rolleyes:

:rotflmao:

Looks like you found the one thing that Danica might be able to do more than once every 27 years.

Placid
30th May 2009, 23:46
I would also prefer Jonathan Bomarito who has a lot of experience. He is
overdue.

D28
31st May 2009, 05:34
Look, USF1 are going to be bottom feeders regardless of who drives for them!
F1 is all about generating money & popularity. I can't think of 2 other drivers that wouldn't achieve this result better than the above mentioned. ;) Again, remember, USF1 couldn't even dream of being near the top of the field even with Schumacher & Senna in their prime! ;) Atleast for several years. Brawn is the huge exception, not the rule.

F1 needs a good spicing up, Danica would be perfect for doing just that...

I have a somewhat different perspective; the last thing F1 needs at this point, is drivers selected because they are the grandson of a of a great F1 Champion, or because they have a sort-of pretty face. It needs someone with a face like Nuvolari (no offence, Tazio is numero uno all -time for me), with his spirit and commitment to all out racing.

Restricting drivers to a particular country has never worked very well in F1. Think of the recent Japanese teams who have tried this. Ferrari has had only one Italian Champ, Ascari, 56 years ago. USF1 would be better to employ a sound test driver with F1 experience, untill a good American prospect comes along. I don't see any such prospects in Indy Cars at the moment, there must be some in Sportscar ranks who could fit the bill.

maximilian
31st May 2009, 15:05
She would spark a lot of interest, even if she were competing at the back of the field.

I don't know, man... I agree that there would be some added interest with her in the field, but honestly, every time I hear her open her mouth and watch her react to interviews/crowds, I am amazed at just how DULL of a personality she is. In that respect, "to be honest", I don't expect the cookie-cutter interviews to get much better.

Good looks can only make up for lack of personality to an extent. Not to mention for ... talent. ;)