PDA

View Full Version : Flexible Working Conditions?

Camelopard
22nd May 2009, 04:02
Not wearing makeup a suitable reason to sack a good worker in the 'land of the free'?

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/may/20/1m20stetz014224-waitress-says-bare-face-led-firing/

You really would think that they had more important things to think about, like 'gun control', (he says winding up the usual suspects!).

quote:

"Employers have the right to do this. A few years ago, the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that it is not discrimination for employers to make women wear makeup."

steve_spackman
22nd May 2009, 04:40
Not wearing makeup a suitable reason to sack a good worker in the 'land of the free'?

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/may/20/1m20stetz014224-waitress-says-bare-face-led-firing/

You really would think that they had more important things to think about, like 'gun control', (he says winding up the usual suspects!).

quote:

"Employers have the right to do this. A few years ago, the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that it is not discrimination for employers to make women wear makeup."

How pathetic..I would understand if she was the kind of girl whos face was set on fire and put out with a baseball bat, but this girl in question seems ok to me!!!

steve_spackman
22nd May 2009, 04:41

;)

steve_spackman
22nd May 2009, 04:45
Not wearing makeup a suitable reason to sack a good worker in the 'land of the free'? You really would think that they had more important things to think about, like 'gun control', (he says winding up the usual suspects!).

;)

leopard
22nd May 2009, 07:16
:D

leopard
22nd May 2009, 07:31
Is that Mark O the new owner who requires employee have to wear makeup?

Perhaps, industry selling service such as restaurant only employ attractive persons as a point of interest, a specific point owned by someone that others may find useful or interesting. We didn't know exactly why was the restaurant sold to Olivier, neglecting this point might evoke the former owner to sell the restaurant.

They don't have to be beautiful, being well dressed in proper makeup I think behavior to show enthusiasm on the job. Imo

Camelopard
23rd May 2009, 17:37
Come on Mark, I'm suprised you don't have a view on this! :)

RaceFanStan
23rd May 2009, 23:33
I suspect make-up was only an excuse, perhaps the boss wanted her for extra duty in the storeroom ...
she refused his advances & he came up with the make-up as an excuse to can her.
Shenoa Vild is lovely & appears to be one women who make-up wouldn't add anything to.
Shenoa should have no trouble getting another job, her smile makes me feel all warm & fuzzy ... http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g202/gr8link/orn/eb.gif

anthonyvop
24th May 2009, 00:16
That is why we are the land of the free.

The Owner of the Business is FREE to run it as he or she see fit.
I have a dress code for my employees. You don't like it you are FREE to find employment someplace else.

You guys just don't get it.

BDunnell
24th May 2009, 00:38

I have a dress code for my employees. You don't like it you are FREE to find employment someplace else.

No, I don't get it. Surely that freedom should extend to everyone, not just the person who happens to be the boss?

anthonyvop
24th May 2009, 01:07
No, I don't get it. Surely that freedom should extend to everyone, not just the person who happens to be the boss?

Are you serious?

Have you ever run a business?

It is MY BUSINESS
It was started with MY MONEY.
It was with MY WORK that got it going.
Employees are an asset that represent MY COMPANY.
They have no vested interest in my company except for a Pay Check.

It is like your home(If you have one) I can invite you in but you better abide by my rules or else you will be kicked out.

edv
24th May 2009, 04:39
I've never seen a Hooters waitress wear anything other than the sexy-ish Hooters garb. D'ya think any prospective Hooters waitress ever demanded anything other?

anthonyvop
24th May 2009, 04:46
I've never seen a Hooters waitress wear anything other than the sexy-ish Hooters garb. D'ya think any prospective Hooters waitress ever demanded anything other?

They can demand all they want.

Alexamateo
24th May 2009, 06:04
Many here are what is called an "at will" employee, meaning either party can terminate at any time for any reason.

Now, some would say that that gives too much power to the employer, and it does, but only if the employee is easily replaced.

I contend that the opposite is true. "At will" is better for the employee, and the better you are at your job, the more it is in the employer's best interest to keep you happy, and keep you from leaving.

Using myself as an example, I was working for a company and we were all "at-will" employees, when someone a year ago got the bright idea to give everyone contracts. Well I read the thing, and decided there was no way I would ever sign it as it was written, but lo and behold, they changed who I was reporting to in the middle of the whole process, and I was missed for a whole year. So anyway, when the 2009 commission package was rolled out, and it was not to my liking, I was able to take my skills to another company that would appreciate my talents completely unencumbered.

Some others I know weren't so lucky, as my former employer has tried to enforce non-competes. I originally was told, "Sign it, your state is a "right-to-work" state, it's unenforceable." I told them, "That my be true, but you may still have to fight it, and that's a hassle. If I never sign it, well there's nothing for them to try to enforce."

I will take "at will", and freedom any day of the week thank you. :)

Camelopard
24th May 2009, 07:15
I just find it strange that you could get sacked for something like this when you have been a valuable member of staff and have contributed to the success of the business.

"I'd say fire away. But a former co-worker and a former boss told me she was a good, popular waitress." "Vild's former boss, Nicole Alex, said Vild was aces. She even trained new workers."

Typical of vops view on life that 'looks' come before 'ability'. Guess it really shows up his shallow personality.

vops idea of what their wait staff should look like!

http://thevoluptuary.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/tammy_faye_bakker_closeup_2005-750_750.jpg

BDunnell
24th May 2009, 10:00
Are you serious?

Have you ever run a business?

It is MY BUSINESS
It was started with MY MONEY.
It was with MY WORK that got it going.
Employees are an asset that represent MY COMPANY.
They have no vested interest in my company except for a Pay Check.

It is like your home(If you have one) I can invite you in but you better abide by my rules or else you will be kicked out.

I agree that there are rules that should be obeyed in the workplace, but I cannot believe that you fail to see the irony in your application of the word 'freedom' in this context. Still, what more should I expect?

GridGirl
24th May 2009, 12:30
She's pretty and doesn't need to wear make-up. It hardly improves her ability to provide good customer service. :)

Anthonyvop, you may run your own business but surely your not that extreme? I work for a company in a professional environment and my contract of employment states something along the lines that I should either wear a suit or be dressed smartly. Although exceptions are made when we go out on stock takes; I am happy enough to accept what is in my contract. I'm sure my clients wouldn't be too impressed if I turned up jeans, a tshirt and flip flops but I very much doubt whether they care if I'm wearing make-up or not.

BDunnell
24th May 2009, 13:35
She's pretty and doesn't need to wear make-up. It hardly improves her ability to provide good customer service. :)

Anthonyvop, you may run your own business but surely your not that extreme? I work for a company in a professional environment and my contract of employment states something along the lines that I should either wear a suit or be dressed smartly. Although exceptions are made when we go out on stock takes; I am happy enough to accept what is in my contract. I'm sure my clients wouldn't be too impressed if I turned up jeans, a tshirt and flip flops but I very much doubt whether they care if I'm wearing make-up or not.

I am sure that in anthonyvop's business all employees must wear a US flag waistcoat with a rendering of Uncle Sam on the back. And carry a rifle.

steve_spackman
24th May 2009, 18:41
I just find it strange that you could get sacked for something like this when you have been a valuable member of staff and have contributed to the success of the business.

"I'd say fire away. But a former co-worker and a former boss told me she was a good, popular waitress." "Vild's former boss, Nicole Alex, said Vild was aces. She even trained new workers."

Typical of vops view on life that 'looks' come before 'ability'. Guess it really shows up his shallow personality.

vops idea of what their wait staff should look like!

http://thevoluptuary.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/tammy_faye_bakker_closeup_2005-750_750.jpg

:rotflmao:

anthonyvop
24th May 2009, 23:18
Once again you attack the messenger with insults when confronted with an argument that violates your preconceived notions.

Not one of you have shown any valid reason why the owner of a PRIVATE entity doesn't have the right to run a business as he or she sees fit.

As long as he is not endangering the public, who are you to say how they can conduct their business?

BDunnell
24th May 2009, 23:20
Not one of you have shown any valid reason why the owner of a PRIVATE entity doesn't have the right to run a business as he or she sees fit.

I have no argument with that, so long as the owner acts in a manner in accordance with all relevant laws.

anthonyvop
24th May 2009, 23:21
I agree that there are rules that should be obeyed in the workplace, but I cannot believe that you fail to see the irony in your application of the word 'freedom' in this context. Still, what more should I expect?
How is it Ironic?

The Owner has a right to conduct his business as he see fit. It is the employee who does not have the right to tell him how to run the business.

The Ironic thing is that it is only the people who have not run a business before who think they know what a business should be allowed to do.

anthonyvop
24th May 2009, 23:23
I have no argument with that, so long as the owner acts in a manner in accordance with all relevant laws.
Last time I checked the use or not of makeup is not a constitutional right.

GridGirl
24th May 2009, 23:27
Indeed, but wearing make-up surely doesn't signifcantly increase the profitability of a private entity either.

anthonyvop
24th May 2009, 23:28
Indeed, but wearing make-up surely doesn't signifcantly increase the profitability of a private entity either.
Sometimes it does. I can name a few businesses where it is almost essential.

BDunnell
24th May 2009, 23:34
How is it Ironic?

The Owner has a right to conduct his business as he see fit. It is the employee who does not have the right to tell him how to run the business.

The Ironic thing is that it is only the people who have not run a business before who think they know what a business should be allowed to do.

Surely anybody with experience of being an employee also has the right to offer opinions from that side of the fence, as it were? The boss is not always right.

What I find ironic is that your definition of freedom seemingly only applies to bosses, no doubt out of pure self-interest on your part, rather than everyone.

GridGirl
24th May 2009, 23:36
Ok, so now you are nit picking. What industry does your business operate in and is make-up essential to increase profitability?

Like I said before, I am happy to wear clothes that fit in with my employers ideals but the obligitary use of make up would be taking things too far.

anthonyvop
24th May 2009, 23:44
Ok, so now you are nit picking. What industry does your business operate in and is make-up essential to increase profitability?

Like I said before, I am happy to wear clothes that fit in with my employers ideals but the obligitary use of make up would be taking things too far.

Now this is funny.
I own various businesses. One is a Motorsports Marketing and promotion firm. Part of the business is the hiring of GRID-GIRLS.
My Clients demand they look good on the grid and on TV. Make-up is essential for TV.
For my Production company Make-up is essential as well.

All of my employees have to abide by a dress code and code of conduct. it is my company and the represent me.

For those who find that offensive I suggest to pass on submitting and application.

BDunnell
24th May 2009, 23:47
Prostitution is another example I can think of.

GridGirl
25th May 2009, 00:02
Anthonyvop, if you had mentioned the nature of your business I think there may be a little less hostility to your advocacy of the use of make-up rather than you giving an impression of being quite the little dictator on a huge power and ego trip just because you have your own business.

Luckily for me I have a number of motorsport clients that do not require me to wear make-up so I'll pass on submitting an application form.

anthonyvop
25th May 2009, 00:34
Anthonyvop, if you had mentioned the nature of your business I think there may be a little less hostility to your advocacy of the use of make-up rather than you giving an impression of being quite the little dictator on a huge power and ego trip just because you have your own business.

Luckily for me I have a number of motorsport clients that do not require me to wear make-up so I'll pass on submitting an application form.
That is the problem

The nature of my business is not relevant to the issue.

Any Business should have the same right.

GridGirl
25th May 2009, 00:54
I don't think my male work mates would be too keen if my employer imposed a strict and enforceable make-up policy to all employees. Then again, if its only applicable to women then surely thats sex discrimination. Oh to be a boss and have all that responsibilty resting on ones shoulders?

BDunnell
25th May 2009, 01:03
I don't think my male work mates would be too keen if my employer imposed a strict and enforceable make-up policy to all employees. Then again, if its only applicable to women then surely thats sex discrimination. Oh to be a boss and have all that responsibilty resting on ones shoulders?

Don't expect a response to that for a while. I suspect that the idea of men wearing cosmetics has just made anthonyvop vomit.

anthonyvop
25th May 2009, 01:48
Don't expect a response to that for a while. I suspect that the idea of men wearing cosmetics has just made anthonyvop vomit.
Not really. I have been to Germany so I am use to seeing men with makeup.

airshifter
25th May 2009, 05:10

Is your figure so out of proportion that you need to wear a suit or dress smartly to enhance it enough to have a business look? I doubt it, just as I doubt your fellow employees need to do so either. But, you have conditions to employment.

Nobody said this woman in question was so ugly she needed to wear makeup, it was just one of the conditions of the job with her new employer.

Quoted from the link:

“I always thought I looked silly wearing makeup,” Vild, a 27-year-old North Park resident, told me. “And I don't think I need it.”

It's not as if Vild isn't interested in her appearance or is a complete rebel. When the new management instituted a dress code of nice jeans and pressed white shirts, Vild said she had no problems conforming.

The Trophy's waitresses used to wear gym shorts and blouses."

It's obvious the makeup wasn't the only change, and the owner has the right to make changes. In a lot of cases changes that apply to appearance and dress code are more aimed at showing uniformity among emplyees.

She applied some of the new rules, and not the others, and lost her job as a result.

ShiftingGears
25th May 2009, 12:25
Not really. I have been to Germany so I am use to seeing men with makeup.

Clever.

Mark in Oshawa
25th May 2009, 13:34
Anthony, I agree with you in princple, but you have to also admit that firing this woman for her lack of makeup is utter BS and you know it.

I am tired though of employee's trying to dictate how small businesses are run. My Brother-in-law runs two ice cream franchises for an international outlet and it simply amazes me the gall of 17 year old girls who come in dictating their hours, their working conditions and how every long holiday weekend they all phone in mysteriously sick because they resent the fact on a hot summer weekend their boss MIGHT need extra staff in an ICE CREAM STORE!

In short, while I think this waitress got jobbed, there is tons of restaurants out there and she can go work for a guy who isn't a boob. Anthony is right, he has the right to dictate this stuff, but who would want to work for an idiot who would dump on this girl for not wearing makeup if she was a half decent waitress. Last time I looked, I have reached a point in my life where a decent waitress means more than having a beautiful but clueless embecile serving my table.

Easy Drifter
25th May 2009, 15:29
When I worked for a large corporation a suit, or at the very least a sport coat and pants was a requirement for the men with shirt and tie. For many years women had to wear a skirt or dress. Later pant suits were allowed. Jeans/shorts were never permitted for either sex.
I could see makeup being a requirement for someone selling cosmetics but not a waitress.
However dress codes do apply to many companies and in many cases uniforms.

Garry Walker
25th May 2009, 18:27
The boss/owner of the company makes the rules. The worker must obey them and thats it. If he or she doesnt like it, the door is not that far away.

Mark in Oshawa
25th May 2009, 22:14
The boss/owner of the company makes the rules. The worker must obey them and thats it. If he or she doesnt like it, the door is not that far away.

Yes...and she is likely better off getting out of there, the guy obviously has no clue of what a good waitress is all about.

BDunnell
25th May 2009, 23:42
Yes...and she is likely better off getting out of there, the guy obviously has no clue of what a good waitress is all about.

Quite right. Not every boss automatically knows what they're doing. Quite the reverse. Sometimes they need telling.

Camelopard
25th May 2009, 23:45
I am tired though of employee's trying to dictate how small businesses are run. My Brother-in-law runs two ice cream franchises for an international outlet and it simply amazes me the gall of 17 year old girls who come in dictating their hours, their working conditions and how every long holiday weekend they all phone in mysteriously sick because they resent the fact on a hot summer weekend their boss MIGHT need extra staff in an ICE CREAM STORE!

This sort of thing is fair enough, but the waitress in the article was a good, efficient employee, who went out of her way to help the business, which you would see if anyone bothers to read the whole article which judging by some of the replies here I'm sure some of you didn't.

Mark in Oshawa
25th May 2009, 23:53
This sort of thing is fair enough, but the waitress in the article was a good, efficient employee, who went out of her way to help the business, which you would see if anyone bothers to read the whole article which judging by some of the replies here I'm sure some of you didn't.

I agree, but the point I am making is she likely will do just as well if not better in another restaurant where the boss isn't clueless. Like I said, he has the right to dictate that, but he certainly is an idiot for doing it.

anthonyvop
26th May 2009, 00:28
This sort of thing is fair enough, but the waitress in the article was a good, efficient employee, who went out of her way to help the business,

Says who? Her Friends?

The fact that she refused to abide by the rules proves she is a bad employee.

BTW she is a waitress. Hardly a skill job. All it takes is a smile, manners, a nice appearance and a moderate attention span.
She thought she was special. She isn't. She is replaceable. And the owner proved it.

Mark in Oshawa
26th May 2009, 01:12
Anthony, every time you are right, you still manage to make yourself sound like a fool.

She may or may not have been a great waitress, but the last time I looked, whether she was using mascara and lipstick had little to do with remembering my order and getting my beer to me while it was still cold.

You of course miss the point entirely. Firing someone for not wearing making makes you look like a twit....

Camelopard
26th May 2009, 02:08
Says who? Her Friends?

Yet again you have shown what a clown you are and as I suspected it seems you have not read the article.

I'll quote from it again for the slow learners:

"Vild's former boss, Nicole Alex, said Vild was aces. She even trained new workers."

She didn't think she was special, she just didn't like wearing makeup, what's the big deal, again you show your shallow personality where everything is based on looks.

anthonyvop
26th May 2009, 02:45
Yet again you have shown what a clown you are and as I suspected it seems you have not read the article.

"Vild's former boss, Nicole Alex, said Vild was aces. She even trained new workers."

She didn't think she was special, she just didn't like wearing makeup, what's the big deal, again you show your shallow personality where everything is based on looks.
Again. I ask....Says who? Her former boss?
You have no proof that she was a good worker. The evidence does suggest that she is a disloyal employee though.

Still doesn't matter if she was a great waitress. The owner has a right to fire her.

airshifter
26th May 2009, 03:24

"Vild's former boss, Nicole Alex, said Vild was aces. She even trained new workers. When the new owner required a couple of changes in dress and apperance policies, she willingly followed half of those changes and refused to follow the others."

There you go, fixed!

anthonyvop
26th May 2009, 04:30
You people just don't get it.

The issue isn't makeup.

The issue is that a business owner has right to run his business as he see fit.

Mark in Oshawa
26th May 2009, 05:05
Anthony....so what you are saying is you defend the guy's right to be a moron? I agree, he is a moron for firing a perfectly competant waitress by all acccounts. You are right...It is about his right to make dumb business decisions. I cant think of any time I have ate out where I thought the waitress was a twit becuase she left the house without eyeliner....

anthonyvop
26th May 2009, 13:27
Anthony....so what you are saying is you defend the guy's right to be a moron? I agree, he is a moron for firing a perfectly competant waitress by all acccounts. You are right...It is about his right to make dumb business decisions. I cant think of any time I have ate out where I thought the waitress was a twit becuase she left the house without eyeliner....

Exactly.

The most important right is the RIGHT TO FAIL.

Too many people think they need to save everyone from themselves. If you are protected from failure what is the incentive to suceed?

Caroline
26th May 2009, 14:28
Exactly.

The most important right is the RIGHT TO FAIL.

Too many people think they need to save everyone from themselves. If you are protected from failure what is the incentive to suceed?

I don't believe that people succeed in their work because they have the threat of losing their jobs hanging over them. Self motivation is important, as is the knowledge that you are a valued member of the workforce. I have always put 100% into any job I have done because that is what I believe is the right thing to do. At present in my job, I feel valued and part of a successful team. Therefore, I do lots more than what I need to just to get by - voluntary duties, unpaid overtime and taking on additional responsibilities. It is a two way street. However, if I wasn't doing my job, then I should be put straight.

steve_spackman
26th May 2009, 20:22

Yes correct, even if the rules are stupid. At the end of the day rules are rules.

If i turned up wearing clothes i would get fired....

BDunnell
26th May 2009, 20:26
I don't believe that people succeed in their work because they have the threat of losing their jobs hanging over them. Self motivation is important, as is the knowledge that you are a valued member of the workforce. I have always put 100% into any job I have done because that is what I believe is the right thing to do. At present in my job, I feel valued and part of a successful team. Therefore, I do lots more than what I need to just to get by - voluntary duties, unpaid overtime and taking on additional responsibilities. It is a two way street. However, if I wasn't doing my job, then I should be put straight.

I couldn't agree more. Still, if some want to run their businesses in a deeply unpleasant fashion, with 'yes-man' automatons underneath them, so be it. I have no respect for that way of management.

anthonyvop
27th May 2009, 03:50
I couldn't agree more. Still, if some want to run their businesses in a deeply unpleasant fashion, with 'yes-man' automatons underneath them, so be it. I have no respect for that way of management.
Do you have any management experience? How about ownership?

Camelopard
27th May 2009, 04:35
Do you have any management experience? How about ownership?

Yep and Yep. next question?

555-04Q2
27th May 2009, 08:07

For once we agree on something :p :

I have this standard, short speech for ungrateful employees: "If you dont like it here there's the door and I hope it knocks you the %&$# out as you leave".

System works very very well for me.

BDunnell
27th May 2009, 20:30
For once we agree on something :p :

I have this standard, short speech for ungrateful employees: "If you dont like it here there's the door and I hope it knocks you the %&$# out as you leave".

System works very very well for me.

Under what circumstances would you ever change your ways as a boss, then? By the sound of it, some people here would be perfectly happy for bad bosses to just carry on as they please, just because they happen to be in that position.

anthonyvop
28th May 2009, 05:05
Yep and Yep. next question?
Could have fooled me.....

Then again I didn't ask you if you still own the business.

Camelopard
28th May 2009, 05:39
Could have fooled me.....

Then again I didn't ask you if you still own the business.

But it doesn't take too much to fool you does it vop?

Buit then again you already have a very good start over everyone else!

555-04Q2
28th May 2009, 06:58
Under what circumstances would you ever change your ways as a boss, then? By the sound of it, some people here would be perfectly happy for bad bosses to just carry on as they please, just because they happen to be in that position.

I'm one of the best bosses you will ever come across. If you work for me and achieve your target, there is always a reward. If you are forward thinking and notice something that isnt working properly in the team and you rectify it without having to be prompted, you get rewarded. Two of my sales staff actually earn more than I do month in and month out as they are go getters and get paid rediculous comms, but they earn it. Your mother died, you can take as much time off as you need, I've also lost loved ones and know that worrying about your job during these times should be the last thing on your mind.

BUT! Show me that you are unappreciative of your job, dont do your job properly, steal from me, disrespect me as the boss and you are out, no questions asked, non-negotiable, sue me if you want, I have fatter lawyers.

The result? I have a successful business, posted a record February, March, April and soon to be May trading months this year, during a "world recession", with confirmed orders with 50% deposits paid for the rest of the year to November. I aint changing nothing.

555-04Q2
28th May 2009, 07:02
I don't believe that people succeed in their work because they have the threat of losing their jobs hanging over them. Self motivation is important, as is the knowledge that you are a valued member of the workforce.

Some people work better knowing that their jobs could be on the line, they put more effort in, I've seen it first hand. Being valued as an employee is also very important for success, obviously. Both can and do work and also backfire.

anthonyvop
28th May 2009, 18:11
I'm one of the best bosses you will ever come across. If you work for me and achieve your target, there is always a reward. If you are forward thinking and notice something that isnt working properly in the team and you rectify it without having to be prompted, you get rewarded. Two of my sales staff actually earn more than I do month in and month out as they are go getters and get paid rediculous comms, but they earn it. Your mother died, you can take as much time off as you need, I've also lost loved ones and know that worrying about your job during these times should be the last thing on your mind.

BUT! Show me that you are unappreciative of your job, dont do your job properly, steal from me, disrespect me as the boss and you are out, no questions asked, non-negotiable, sue me if you want, I have fatter lawyers.

The result? I have a successful business, posted a record February, March, April and soon to be May trading months this year, during a "world recession", with confirmed orders with 50% deposits paid for the rest of the year to November. I aint changing nothing.

And to think there are some here who would say you are evil.

GridGirl
28th May 2009, 20:59
I get to see alot of different businesses and sometimes I just think the owners/ bosses/people with significant power are complete and utter idiots. If I've seen one person on a power trip I've seen a million. A little humilty and the acceptance of the advice of others wouldn't go amiss at times either.

I'm a manager but I don't need to be constantly on the backs of the people who are working for me. Maybe I'm just lucky that I work in an industry where there is defined hierachy and people just know what is expected of them at each level. I'm a manager but I don't really need to manage the people that work for me other than to have the right mixture of staff at the appropriate levels working on my clients at the right time. I have realistic expctations and the staff just get on and do their job. I suppose thats not always possible though.

I've been working away for the last few weeks and I'm now sat in my hotel room thinking that I've probably worked about 70 hours each week. I'm a salaried employee but on average I work about 50 hours a week. I'm now pondering whether I put too many hours in. :s I don't think my bosses could cope if we all started demanding to be paid overtime.

Camelopard
28th May 2009, 22:24
[quote="GridGirl"]I get to see alot of different businesses and sometimes I just think the owners/ bosses/people with significant power are complete and utter idiots. If I've seen one person on a power trip I've seen a million. A little humilty and the acceptance of the advice of others wouldn't go amiss at times either.
[quote]

Bleeding heart, pinko lefty, it's people like you that are causing the world to go to rack and ruin.

:)

Camelopard
28th May 2009, 22:27
I get to see alot of different businesses and sometimes I just think the owners/ bosses/people with significant power are complete and utter idiots. If I've seen one person on a power trip I've seen a million. A little humilty and the acceptance of the advice of others wouldn't go amiss at times either.

Damn pinko, lefty, bleeding heart, it's people like you that are causing the world to go to rack and ruin.

:)

GridGirl
28th May 2009, 23:00
Ah well, I love a good 'don't you know who I am?' battle. :p ......Especially when I win. ;)

Easy Drifter
29th May 2009, 02:19
You want to see dedicated employees who work way, way beyond the hours required? Often work many hours over what, in theory, is allowed by law. Work all night and the next day if needed.
Bitch all the time to each other but wouldn't have it any other way.
Just go look at any race mechanic!!!!!

555-04Q2
29th May 2009, 06:23
You want to see dedicated employees who work way, way beyond the hours required? Often work many hours over what, in theory, is allowed by law. Work all night and the next day if needed.
Bitch all the time to each other but wouldn't have it any other way.
Just go look at any race mechanic!!!!!

:up:

Most people are unhappy or unappreciative of their jobs as they dont like the field they are working in. Well, if they dont like their job or the field they work in do something about it and do something you enjoy.