PDA

View Full Version : Angels & Demons

steve_spackman
17th May 2009, 02:34
Has anyone seen this film as of yet? If so is it any good? Debating if i should go see it..The first film was good, but we all know that most sequels have a history of becoming a bag of sh@te....

Andrewmcm
17th May 2009, 11:23
Yeah I enjoyed it. A bit better-paced than the Da Vinci Code and it avoids some of the more ridiculous elements of the book.

steve_spackman
18th May 2009, 04:37
Yeah I enjoyed it. A bit better-paced than the Da Vinci Code and it avoids some of the more ridiculous elements of the book.

It was ok..could of been worse.

But i enjoy the debate between the church and science.

One film/ documentry i would say is worth seeing is Religulous

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0815241/

LeonBrooke
20th May 2009, 13:17
I liked it - it's good if you can suspend disbelief at the silly things, like a university symbologist fighting crime.

Tazio
20th May 2009, 16:33
It is a source of ceaseless amazement to me how people take exception to elements stated in a work of fiction!
The great authors went to extreme lengths to substantiate their stories with in depth research of the subject of their novels, or short stories! I've never heard anyone take exception to Eco's assertions in "The Name of the Rose", or "Foucault’s Pendulum". In arguably his greatest short story Nathanial Hawthorne used the entire first page to explaining how "Rapacinni's Daughter" was translated from a fictitious French Author! Poe so thoroughly researched his subjects that he was very comfortable expressing his stories as fact. S.A.C. Doyle wrote Holmes as if it was real detective work. Dan Brown is just following in a tradition that is time tested, but more importantly most effective!

F1boat
20th May 2009, 20:56
It is a source of ceaseless amazement to me how people take exception to elements stated in a work of fiction!
The great authors went to extreme lengths to substantiate their stories with in depth research of the subject of their novels, or short stories! I've never heard anyone take exception to Eco's assertions in "The Name of the Rose", or "Foucault’s Pendulum". In arguably his greatest short story Nathanial Hawthorne used the entire first page to explaining how "Rapacinni's Daughter" was translated from a fictitious French Author! Poe so thoroughly researched his subjects that he was very comfortable expressing his stories as fact. S.A.C. Doyle wrote Holmes as if it was real detective work. Dan Brown is just following in a tradition that is time tested, but more importantly most effective!

And H.P. Lovecraft has such amazing horror scifi stories, that von Deniken rewrite them as pseudoscience and some people bought it :)

Cooper_S
21st May 2009, 00:24
It is a source of ceaseless amazement to me how people take exception to elements stated in a work of fiction!!

Maybe some people take exception because the uneducated will take fiction as fact and that is always dangerous...

jso1985
21st May 2009, 03:22
what debate between church and science?

the book is fiction, and a good one, but nothing else, or what's next? Harry Potter is actually a true story? :eek:

steve_spackman
21st May 2009, 04:10
Maybe some people take exception because the uneducated will take fiction as fact and that is always dangerous...

well said :up:

Tazio
21st May 2009, 06:59
Of course let's sacrifice the quality of art for the benefit of the uneducated, and, paranoid :confused:

Well said :up: But misplaced! :down:

Tazio
21st May 2009, 12:41
I do understand your concern! We've had an ongoing debate in the U.S. regarding the placing of the Ten Commandments in courthouses!
This is most fervently argued in the "Bible Belt". I too have concerns that it may be misconstrued by the uneducated.
I worry someone going to pay a traffic ticket will read;
Thou shall not covet thy neighbor’s wife.
And think $hit, how much is that one going to cost me :confused:

F1boat
21st May 2009, 13:07
I do understand your concern! We've had an ongoing debate in the U.S. regarding the placing of the Ten Commandments in courthouses!
This is most fervently argued in the "Bible Belt". I too have concerns that it may be misconstrued by the uneducated.
I worry someone going to pay a traffic ticket will read;
Thou shall not covet thy neighbor’s wife.
And think $hit, how much is that one going to cost me :confused:

I am a bit scared by this people in the Bible belt, honestly. I mean, the US is still the most powerful country and this guys are nuts and have one of your parties... but this is OT. IMO everybody has right to write and publish what he wants, unless it is hateful literature, of course...

markabilly
21st May 2009, 13:19
what debate between church and science?

the book is fiction, and a good one, but nothing else, or what's next? Harry Potter is actually a true story? :eek:
are you suggesting Potter is not true?

Careful or a spell shal be cast upon you and you shall be a little green frog....look at what happenned to donKey who used to be pee wee herman before..

jso1985
22nd May 2009, 00:21
what? I'll join the green party? :eek:

that would be a hell of a punishment :p