PDA

View Full Version : College away from home

52Paddy
16th May 2009, 10:56
I'm just looking for suggestions on this topic. I'm going to college in September and I'll be living away from home. To cover day-to-day expenses (and possibility add to my savings account for the accommodation fees) I'm planning on getting a weekend or evening job. While I would rather focus completely on my studies, it would be financially impossible (even with the grants I'm applicable for.)

So, do any of you members have experience of going to college and living away from home? If so, how did you afford day-to-day expenses (food, cigarettes, toiletries etc?) I would be looking for job suggestions and any other feedback you can give me. Cheers :)

MrJan
16th May 2009, 12:17
Student loan was very helpful, as was my parents paying my tuition and loaning my rent (which I could then pay back in the summer holidays). Not really sure how I afforded stuff as I didn't get a job but you sort of learn how to be careful with what food you buy, and more importantly what drink. During my second year I was a bit strapped for cash and discovered that you could buy 3 litres of strongbow for £2, go to a club before 10 (free entry), leave and get a stamp to get back in, do more drinking at home and then back to the club later.

I also always walked or cycled home after a night out instead of catching a cab and rarely did anything like go to the cinema or travel anywhere out of walking distance.

I'd suggest giving up the fags though, that'll be dead weight around your neck and (regardless of what smokers tell you) isn't as sociable as drinking with your mates.

slinkster
16th May 2009, 14:55
I got through Uni on my student loan payments, overdraft facility, a bit of holiday work and my parents mainly. My first advice to you would be to quit smoking because you'll save a fortune and just be sensible with any money you do earn. It's common sense. My second advice would be to enjoy it. :)

BDunnell
16th May 2009, 17:07
Become an MP and never worry about day-to-day expenses again.

I have always been rubbish with money and am not the best person to advise here. Definitely give up smoking, though, but don't do as I have done and just spend your fags money on other stuff, thus not making any net saving at all. Be more sensible than that, for God's sake.

steve_spackman
16th May 2009, 17:13
I'd suggest giving up the fags though, that'll be dead weight around your neck and (regardless of what smokers tell you) isn't as sociable as drinking with your mates.

Smoking these days has become unsociable and is no longer a 'fashion statement' :)

steve_spackman
16th May 2009, 17:14
I'm just looking for suggestions on this topic. I'm going to college in September and I'll be living away from home. To cover day-to-day expenses (and possibility add to my savings account for the accommodation fees) I'm planning on getting a weekend or evening job. While I would rather focus completely on my studies, it would be financially impossible (even with the grants I'm applicable for.)

So, do any of you members have experience of going to college and living away from home? If so, how did you afford day-to-day expenses (food, cigarettes, toiletries etc?) I would be looking for job suggestions and any other feedback you can give me. Cheers :)

Your college maybe able to help with this

steve_spackman
16th May 2009, 17:18
I have always been rubbish with money and am not the best person to advise here. Definitely give up smoking, though, but don't do as I have done and just spend your fags money on other stuff, thus not making any net saving at all. Be more sensible than that, for God's sake.

I burnt a tenner once with a lighter.thats the same as buying fags..that made me stop.

52Paddy
16th May 2009, 17:24
The grants will cover a lot of expense. Cigarettes are surely going to eat up money but I think I can sacrifice enough other stuff to 'allow' myself the freedom to smoke (i.e not go on nights out regularly.) Though, sure, giving up would clearly be a good idea regardless :up:

steve_spackman
16th May 2009, 17:26
The grants will cover a lot of expense. Just wondering though, did you guys still live with parents or live on campus accommodation. I have to deal with the latter.

My own place. I went to college full time and worked part time

52Paddy
16th May 2009, 18:11
My own place. I went to college full time and worked part time

Sorry, decided to edit my post right after. I just noticed that that was fairly much answered already.

stevie_gerrard
19th May 2009, 00:55
Student loan is always handy, and you cou8ld always do the sensible thing and not go out as often, do stuff with friends indoors instead of going out and spending all your money on the town.

Saying that though, students aren't like that :p : The best thing to do is get a job which will pay you well but won't take up too much of your time. I did a saturday job with the university, and a placement in the week at a school, made as nice tidy package to keep me going :)

leopard
19th May 2009, 04:02
These days this method might not work anymore, considering inflation is high and rate of interest isn't high as used to be. I asked my parents to give me money on every semester basis. It covers university dues, boarding house and all my daily expenses. It might be dangerous if you are not capable of managing money for that long period.

Each city has different living cost, luckily my uni was there in the city living cost is not too high. Our life style might influence how do we spend the money. Although I can avoid cigar and being occasional smoker is enough, I still have enough budget to watch movie, going to arcade game or billiard...

Mark
19th May 2009, 12:50
The grants will cover a lot of expense.

How much grant do you get in Ireland? I got a grant when going to University in England but I wouldn't get it now.

We are talking university, not 6th form college, right?

Cigarettes are surely going to eat up money but I think I can sacrifice enough other stuff to 'allow' myself the freedom to smoke (i.e not go on nights out regularly.) Though, sure, giving up would clearly be a good idea regardless :up:

Perhaps the money you spend on cigs would be better invested into nicorette patches and the like.

52Paddy
19th May 2009, 20:12
How much grant do you get in Ireland? I got a grant when going to University in England but I wouldn't get it now.

We are talking university, not 6th form college, right?

I've been told [this isn't 100% factual, only what I've heard. I will check how much I am eligible for when applications open in June] that I may be eligible for something in the region of €3500 per year. Yes, its University. Not too sure what 6th form college is, but I presume its the equivalent of a PLC course in Ireland.

Perhaps the money you spend on cigs would be better invested into nicorette patches and the like.

Good point.

MrJan
19th May 2009, 21:57
I know people that had a grant but still ended up worse off than me because I'd worked evenings while at college and then during the summer. It's amazing how you can save up and then get through the year without needing to bother working.

I know that you edited the question about accomodation but bare in mind that you might get chucked out of halls after the first year. I went to Uni where halls spaces were limited and seeing as I live within 2 hours of the Uni anyway I didn't stand a chance and ended up renting privately which was a kick in the teeth. The main problem with that is that you can't choose your housemates in either case but at least on campus you will be much closer to other students.

52Paddy
19th May 2009, 23:06
I know people that had a grant but still ended up worse off than me because I'd worked evenings while at college and then during the summer. It's amazing how you can save up and then get through the year without needing to bother working.

I'm working at the moment to save up some money towards college. Admittedly, I could have saved more from the beginning but I'm not going to bother dwelling on that now. I do plan to get a job during the course of the year (at weekends preferably) and then, hopefully, the following summer (maybe back as a courier if they take me back.)

I know that you edited the question about accomodation but bare in mind that you might get chucked out of halls after the first year. I went to Uni where halls spaces were limited and seeing as I live within 2 hours of the Uni anyway I didn't stand a chance and ended up renting privately which was a kick in the teeth. The main problem with that is that you can't choose your housemates in either case but at least on campus you will be much closer to other students.

When you says 'halls' I presume you means on-campus accommodation? That is what I am applying for regardless. I want to live on-campus. Some friends living in Dublin (originally from the countryside) have moved in as lodgers with an old woman who lives alone, and lets her house out to students. He gets on very well with that system but its very much hit or miss. The price could be potentially more expensive and you're not as secure either (mess up and you could be thrown out; less leniency I guess.)

Drew
22nd May 2009, 18:15
I have studied in 4 different places far far away from home. Basic cooking skills go a long way, getting a job sounds like a very good idea but get in quick there'll be alot of competition and of course the first few weeks will be tough and different :)

You have to learn to cut down on the cigs, find where sells the cheapest booze, drink at home more and learn all about tesco value etc ;)

jens
22nd May 2009, 19:16

I had a student loan and if needed, parents sent me a bit of support in addition. Also before my last year I worked in summer and hence collected money to go through the year. Plus a state subsidy for studies - which might be possible to get in a later phase of studies - is helpful too.

But generally, I have always been used to living cheaply, so all in all those finances were enough for me. :)