PDA

View Full Version : The Pushbike thread

52Paddy
13th May 2009, 19:55
So, how about transport without engines: pushbikes! I myself am a pushbike courier/messenger at the moment and have grown to love cycling about town. Unlike driving about on a car or motorbike, its much easier to break traffic rules. Then there's the advantage of mounting footpaths too. I can't forget about those frickin' taxi drivers either! They hate us, we hate them; it's all good :D

Anyway, I'm riding a fixie myself. Its a Veloce track frame with a front brake (I haven't seen the point in going brakeless just yet. Maybe some day :p : ) I also have a Trek T1 (or maybe its a T2. Its an entry level model and fairly similar to the old Trek 1000.)

For pedals, I use time atac ones. Find them much better than SPDs on a fixie.

So, anybody else interested in biking about? Any interesting stories regarding crashes or accidents?

schmenke
13th May 2009, 20:19
Kona Lavadome hardtail "race light" frame (thinner gauge, double-butted chromoly)
24 speed (8 speed rear cassette)
Shimano XT deraileurs
Manitou fork
Avid Arch Rival brakes
SPD pedals.

Getting on in years... Not much compared to newer bikes/components but it certainly is more than enough for the limited riding I do nowadays.

Eki
13th May 2009, 21:48
Why is it called a pushbike? You're not suppose to push it but to pedal it, so why isn't it called a velocipede or something?

Kneeslider
14th May 2009, 00:03
'Sfunny, but I have only just this week bought a Whyte PRST-4. It's something of an oddball choice, and to some folks looks downright fugly, but it's the only bike to have a Hossack type wishbone front suspension system. I have had a Scott mountain bike for lots of years, and had never been impressed with the set of forks on it. All they seemed to do was rob you of any kind of feel for what the front tyre was doing, and if you put enough torque through the fork legs, they would lock up solid, so, I thought to myself, there has to be another way.

And that other way doesn't necessarily mean spending lots of money on expensive forks which have properly sorted springing and damping characteristics, but still are based on the faulty premise of linking the tyre contact patch where the forces are generated, to the steering head, where the forces are resolved, with a spindly telescopic lever about 3 feet long. That's just wrong on lots of levels (well it is if you like odd engineering solutions)

So, the Whyte separates the steering and braking forces, and effectively moves the steering pivot point so that it is as near to the front axle as possible, without it being actually inside the radius of the front wheel, and all of the load paths are nicely worked out. If there is a flaw, it is that the steered inertia is going to be higher than telescopics, but that is probably a price worth paying when the advantages are that you have a full 4" of travel, no stiction (well compared to conventional forks anyway) and a constant steering head angle which gives constant trail throughout the full movement, which means that there is no nervousness in the steering when compressed fully.

I'm looking forward to getting the hang of it!

janneppi
14th May 2009, 06:55
I pity the fool who buys bikes that has suspension parts that have only one manufacturer. ;)
The problem with complicated designs is that they will fail, simpler design fail too, but are usually lighter and are cheaper.

I have 99 GT LST with some rear shock and bushing problemes waiting for me to redo the rear linkages and bushings.

My main ride these days is a Scott road bike which doesn't get much time until it's +20C degrees outside.

Hondo
14th May 2009, 07:06
Why you call it a pushbike?

52Paddy
14th May 2009, 20:47
'Sfunny, but I have only just this week bought a Whyte PRST-4.

I never understood that fork setup. Thanks for explaining, though I need to read it a few more times before I fully understand whats going on there. :p :

As for Scott bikes, a friend of mine had a Scott mountain bike (not sure of the model) for years. He used it for couriering and loved every bit of it. It did get old and eventually it gave up on him (only recently actually.) He's since built himself a fixie, but the Scott suited him much better.

Why is it called a pushbike? You're not suppose to push it but to pedal it, so why isn't it called a velocipede or something?

You kind of push yourself along, albeit with your legs. I guess that makes sense, doesn't it? It doesn't have a motor or an engine so the only thing going to move you along is your own effort (and gravity.) I like velocipede though. :cool:

The problem with complicated designs is that they will fail, simpler design fail too, but are usually lighter and are cheaper.

I have 99 GT LST with some rear shock and bushing problemes waiting for me to redo the rear linkages and bushings.

My main ride these days is a Scott road bike which doesn't get much time until it's +20C degrees outside.

Simple designs can be very effective and solid actually. At least in terms of frames. A friend of mine has a strong steel, tubular Campignolo (?) frame. Light as fick too! It can be come complicated depending on what components you decide to build the bike up with, though I take your point. A lot of mass produced bikes can be complicated contraptions, innovative at other times though.

I always loved the GT Zascar. Can't go wrong with one of those boys.

GridGirl
14th May 2009, 20:50
I bought a Giant Yukon in September last year. Its got 24 gears, disc brakes and a front suspension and seemed about the best entry level mountain bike for the money. I'd not really used a bike since I was a kid before I got my bike so didn't want to spend too much money incase it ended up in the garage not being used after a few rides

I have to say that I really love riding my bike now. I'm doing a charity 70 mile or 112km bike race in 4 weeks time. I did 50km last weekend and have a 60km ride planned for Saturday. As I mostly cycle on bridal ways and off road I'm hoping that I'll find a road race easier and can cover the distance but we'll see.

I tend to cycle alot in the Lake District. There's nothing like a big stonking hill to get your heart rate to 200bpm. :s

52Paddy
14th May 2009, 20:59
As I mostly cycle on bridal ways and off road I'm hoping that I'll find a road race easier and can cover the distance but we'll see.

If you don't already use clipless pedals, I advise investing in some Times or SPDs. They make life a lot easier when cycling on the road. Not too sure how they work off road, I've never been out mountain biking. But, certainly, its better for your knees and IT band if you're clipped in. It also requires less effort with being able to pull up with one pedal, while going down with the other.

Eki
14th May 2009, 21:02
You kind of push yourself along, albeit with your legs.
But you also kind of pull yourself along.

GridGirl
14th May 2009, 21:43
I wasn't thinking about clip on pedals but I am considering getting some road tyres and a longer or higher gear ratio. I think I will soon run out of gears riding on the road. Not sure if I can justiy the expense for one bike ride seeing as I'm more likely to in out of leg power in 70 miles.

52Paddy
14th May 2009, 21:59
But you also kind of pull yourself along.

Fair point.

52Paddy
14th May 2009, 22:02
I wasn't thinking about clip on pedals but I am considering getting some road tyres and a longer or higher gear ratio. I think I will soon run out of gears riding on the road. Not sure if I can justiy the expense for one bike ride seeing as I'm more likely to in out of leg power in 70 miles.

Road tyres are certainly a help. 23s would be the quickest but I'd recommend 28s. They're not much slower than 23s and your less likely to get a puncture, if you get half decent ones. High gear ratio is obviously an advantage on long stretches, but that would be fairly expensive. In my opinion, clip on pedals would be a better investment at that price. Then again, as you say yourself, is any of it worth the investment at all for just one race? IMO, if you're riding the bike every day, its worth investing in. If its less than that, it depends on how much you like cycling and whether you think its worth while. Best of luck with the endeavour regardless. Let me know how you get on if you remember :)