PDA

View Full Version : Best Stand Up

Hazell B
10th May 2009, 17:41
I know it's been done before, but I'm just on my way out of the house to see my own personal favourite political comedian, Mark Thomas.

Who's your favourite or favourites and what's their best line?

BeansBeansBeans
10th May 2009, 18:22
Enjoy the show :up:

I'd say Stewart Lee was my current favourite.

BDunnell
10th May 2009, 19:43
Yes, have a good time.

I find it very hard to pick a favourite. I've seen Jeremy Hardy a couple of times and he always makes me laugh. Stewart Lee is undeniably excellent, too.

Away from stand-up, I doubt there has ever been a more consummate comedian than Bob Monkhouse, as demonstrated by his renaissance in the 1990s. And last night I had a great time at the British Film Institute attending An Evening With Armando Iannucci, including a discussion between him and Graeme Garden, which reminded one just what a magnificent contribution to British TV and radio comedy Iannucci has made in the last 20 years.

Zico
10th May 2009, 19:57
More of an energetic philosopher than a stand up comedian.. but 1st saw Rhod Gilbert the other week on The Royal variety show, Prince Charles looked like he wanted to just dissapear after Rhod started on him.. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL2CaiydtLY

Eki
10th May 2009, 20:06
My cat is a lie down comedian. Sometimes she can look quite comical when she's lying down.

GridGirl
10th May 2009, 21:25
Bill Bailey has been great the last couple of times I've seen him live discluding the time when I fell asleep. Actually he was still good before I fell asleep it's just that I was really tired. We always go to Edinbugh for the tatoo in August and you can't beat Fringe Sunday for getting to see a wide variety of acts.

The worst thing I've ever seen when I've been to see a comedian was when some woman climbed the stage after Lee Evans had walked off and stole his sweaty towel. How disgusting.

Jag_Warrior
10th May 2009, 21:33
My all time fave would certainly be Richard Pryor. These days, I guess it would have to be George Lopez.

AndyRAC
10th May 2009, 21:54
Bill Bailey has been great the last couple of times I've seen him live discluding the time when I fell asleep. Actually he was still good before I fell asleep it's just that I was really tired. We always go to Edinbugh for the tatoo in August and you can't beat Fringe Sunday for getting to see a wide variety of acts.

The worst thing I've ever seen when I've been to see a comedian was when some woman climbed the stage after Lee Evans had walked off and stole his sweaty towel. How disgusting.

Anybody watch Bill Bailey last night on BBC2 at the Royal Albert Hall - and his guide to the Orchestra? A fantastic, and entertaining show.

Andrewmcm
10th May 2009, 23:23
Al Murray is pretty good.

Rollo
10th May 2009, 23:32
Ross Noble has to be up there for a mention. By virtue of the fact that he doesn't really have a routine (because of dyslexia), every show even in the same run is different.

There's a piece on the interwebs somewhere where he gives an explanation as to why you should "Never put a blanket over an owl" which I've probably re-watched about a dozen times.

steve_spackman
11th May 2009, 01:09
Dave Chappelle

Tyrone Biggums (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0152638/): Remember what the Bible says: He who is without sin, cast the first rock. And I shall smoketh it.

Mark in Oshawa
11th May 2009, 04:00
The Late Great George Carlin. His theories on just about any part of society had me in stitches and I was fortunate enough to see him about 8 years ago at the Roy Thomson Hall in Toronto, which is NOT your typical venue for a guy George, whose "7 words you cannot say on television" bit probably was the worst language that classical music venue had ever heard!!

Brown, Jon Brow
11th May 2009, 09:59
Anybody watch Bill Bailey last night on BBC2 at the Royal Albert Hall - and his guide to the Orchestra? A fantastic, and entertaining show.

I was going to say Bill Bailey. I saw his guide to the Orchestra too. It is very clever the way he mixes music and humour.

Ross Noble has to be up there for a mention. By virtue of the fact that he doesn't really have a routine (because of dyslexia), every show even in the same run is different.

There's a piece on the interwebs somewhere where he gives an explanation as to why you should "Never put a blanket over an owl" which I've probably re-watched about a dozen times.

I love Ross Nobles "man putting meat on his face" piece. It's not as daft as it first sounds, for all we know he could be trying to divert the attention of amorous vegans.

stevie_gerrard
11th May 2009, 10:57
Bill Bailey is brilliant, but i quite like Lee Evans. Seen him in Birmingham, and his live show from the O2 is absolutely hilarious.

EuroTroll
11th May 2009, 11:32
Of stand-up comedians, I'd say the best I've seen is Dylan Moran. Mind you, I've only seen (footage of) a few.

Bill Bailey is good too. I especially liked the "Cosmic Jam" show he did in mid-90s (I think). Excellent musical comedy! :up: The cockney classics come to mind. :D And the song "Insect Nation". :laugh:

Edit: Dear, oh dear. How could I've forgotten Bill Hicks! :up: A comedian who surely went deeper than...

A.F.F.
11th May 2009, 14:57
Bill Hicks, Denis Leary and George Carlin. Can't get better than those.

patnicholls
11th May 2009, 15:45
My top three are Stewart Lee, Jason Cook (he's not on TV - yet, but is around Manchester a lot, so if you live there make sure you try and see him) and Brendan Burns. Oh, Robin Ince as well. And Michael McIntyre - for a 'family' comedian he is very funny indeed.

I've yet to catch up with the orchestral Bill Bailey TV show from the weekend, although have it on the Sky+ ready.

I'm also appreciating the mention of Armando Iannucci above - aside from being involved in rather a lot of the significant Brit comedy shows of the past 20 years, he also did an excellent sketch show on Channel 4 a few years ago which unfortunately about four people watched. I've not seen him do stand-up anywhere, which is a shame.

BDunnell
11th May 2009, 15:51
I'm also appreciating the mention of Armando Iannucci above - aside from being involved in rather a lot of the significant Brit comedy shows of the past 20 years, he also did an excellent sketch show on Channel 4 a few years ago which unfortunately about four people watched. I've not seen him do stand-up anywhere, which is a shame.

The Armando Iannucci Shows passed me by at the time, I must say, but an episode was shown as part of the BFI event I mentioned and I loved it, so will buy it on DVD. He's never been a stand-up, but is most entertaining 'in conversation', as the other night, and adds much to any programme on which he appears or is involved in.

Hazell B
11th May 2009, 18:03
Anybody watch Bill Bailey last night on BBC2 at the Royal Albert Hall - and his guide to the Orchestra?

Yep, loved it. As a classical music fan I'd already heard he was hoping to tour with that show, so will be looking out for dates in the autumn :up: He's my third favourite, by the way.

Mark Thomas was good, though not the best we've seen him. It's the Stupid Economy tour is still well worth a visit, though.

My absolute favourite is Eddie Izzard :laugh:

Tazio
11th May 2009, 19:35
RnHaTlI1p7o&feature=related

A little off topic! :uhoh: But one funny guy :p :

slinkster
11th May 2009, 20:40
Old(er) skool it would be Billy Connoly. Peter Kay is also excellent.

Bill Bailey is a definite favorite of mine. Ross Noble is also good but he can be pretty frustrating to watch how he can spend almost an hour on one joke- or rather getting distracted whilst trying to complete one!

We have tickets to see Michael McIntyre in October which I'm looking forward to. :)

Tazio
11th May 2009, 22:45
I think the funniest live comedy event I've seen was "The Kids in THe Hall".

They played The Wilturn in L.A. many years ago. It was a riot!

yodasarmpit
11th May 2009, 23:23
Robin Williams is awesome doing standup.

Dave B
12th May 2009, 08:05
I'll add my vote(s) for Bill Bailey and Ross Noble.

Bill has a phenomenal ability to incorporate music into his comedy, some of his original songs are priceless. Recently he's added a more political edge to his routine, although they tend to be soft targets like Bush and Wal-Mart he certainly doesn't pull any punches.

His guide to the orchestra was totally different to what I was expecting, a thoroughly brilliant hour of TV. My only criticism of him would be that now he's selling out vast arenas the intimacy of his shows has gone: we saw him in Newcastle Metro Arena and the place is (a) a s**thole, and (b) wholly unsuited for comedy or theatre.

Ross is mental. We saw him in Brighton and I honestly think if he didn't have another gig the next night he'd still be going now. Wonderful stream-of-consciousness surreal comedy with more structure than he allows the audience to realise.

I must also mention Rob Brydon, who we watched recently. When he's not playing Keith Barrett or Bryn he's got a wicked sense of humour.

The only comedians I've been really disappointed with were Ricky Gervais (Fame was good but pathetically short), and Frankie Boyle who was so far up his own arrogant arse that at one point I could only see his shoes.

555-04Q2
12th May 2009, 10:43
Richard Pryor for me. The guy is funny funny funny.

Chris Rock (without all the swearing) can also be funny at times.

555-04Q2
12th May 2009, 10:45
Robin Williams is awesome doing standup.

While I love the movies RW makes, for some reason he just annoys me when he does stand-up. He's not half bad though.

ShiftingGears
12th May 2009, 11:56
Bill Hicks, Dylan Moran, George Carlin and Bill Bailey are all fantastic.

Hazell B
13th May 2009, 13:52
.... I've been really disappointed .... Frankie Boyle ....

Hell yes, he's a wasted talent now isn't he? Used to be clever and funny, now he's just a sad little man who's only lines involve hatred, nastiness, insults aimed at people he thinks we should hate and none of it's very funny either :mark:

A.F.F.
13th May 2009, 14:45
Hell yes, he's a wasted talent now isn't he? Used to be clever and funny, now he's just a sad little man who's only lines involve hatred, nastiness, insults aimed at people he thinks we should hate and none of it's very funny either :mark:

It's called Andy Kaufman syndrome.

Roamy
13th May 2009, 16:55
Yea - I did stand up for a group of midgets one time and got a standing ovation and didn't even know it!!

Dave B
13th May 2009, 17:18
I did it once and thought I'd got a decent round of applause. Couldn't really see the audience because of the stage lights. Turns out it was just the sound of 300 people repeatedly slapping their foreheads.

Hazell B
16th May 2009, 18:24
Brockman's now on my list :laugh:

UltimateDanGTR
17th May 2009, 08:37
Michael Macintyre
Russel Howard
Jack Dee
Lee Mac

hilarious legends.....