PDA

View Full Version : Bernie gives clue that either Penske or Andretti Green may join F1 in 2010 !

Giuseppe F1
9th May 2009, 16:43
http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/090509154447.shtml

Another American team eyeing F1 – Ecclestone
Early speculation points to Penske or Andretti Green
09/05/09 15:44

A second American team is hoping to field a budget capped Formula One team next year, Bernie Ecclestone has revealed.

At an event in Barcelona to launch a F1-branded credit card, the sport's Chief Executive said USF1 is not the only North American entry with an eye on F1's more affordable future.

"There's two American teams," Ecclestone told reporters ahead of Spanish Grand Prix qualifying. "It will be good to see some new faces. Something like that is good."

It is speculated that the most likely new American entry, apart from USF1's Peter Windsor and Ken Anderson who are both in Spain this weekend, would be either Penske or Andretti Green.

Source: GMM
© CAPSIS International

veeten
9th May 2009, 16:55
If this story has legs, then the more likely would be Penske.
Not only does he have some experience with F1 in the past, Roger also has facilities in the UK that can construct a chassis well within time limitation.

Not to mention, he does have a group of pretty good racers on staff.

Bagwan
9th May 2009, 16:59
Andretti Green , eh ?
That would be Barry Green , Jacques's promoter ?

UltimateDanGTR
9th May 2009, 17:37
Ah Id love to see Penske back in F1. They are a very succesful team that I believe this time round can make it. Im all for it (If its true)

V12
9th May 2009, 19:25
If this story has legs, then the more likely would be Penske.
Not only does he have some experience with F1 in the past, Roger also has facilities in the UK that can construct a chassis well within time limitation.

Not to mention, he does have a group of pretty good racers on staff.

Well you put pretty much what I was going to write when I clicked this thread! Perhaps AGR could team up with Nick Wirth's facility that designed and built the Acura LMP cars that AGR have run in the past, apparently they have quite advanced facilities there.

F1boat
9th May 2009, 19:40
It will be interesting if the Captain re-enters F1, especially if he uses Helio and Ryan.

Jag_Warrior
9th May 2009, 21:53
Penske, I can somewhat imagine (with 110% sponsorship).

As for AGR, well they did such a bang-up job in A1GP, sure... they're clearly ready to tackle the highest form of motorsport. :rolleyes: Heck, bring both Danica and Marco over too. If you're going to be The Suck, you might as well do it right.

52Paddy
9th May 2009, 22:21
If there is any solid foundation in this story, its damn good news. We might be on the way to a 26 car grid for next year. Likely? I still think no. Possible? I'm beginning to think more and more so.

PSfan
9th May 2009, 22:24
Andretti Green , eh ?

I'm probably wrong, but I thought I read that Barry split from AGR some years ago, but Kim Green (Barry's brother) is still involved so there would still be that connection anyways.

If Honda was still in F1, then I would have given the AGR F1 prospect a stronger chance seeing as they seemed to have stronger ties with Honda then the other IRL teams, Though with the prospect of Super Aguri rejoining then maybe Honda supplied engines for AGR and SA might be possible? though I find it hard to believe we would see the Honda name back in F1 in such a short period of time after dropping out.

I agree that Penske probably has the better resources to step up to the F1 plate.

CNR
10th May 2009, 00:00
i do not see it being Team Penske as much as i would like to see it
it could finerly give (Australian)Ryan Briscoe a drive in f1
http://www.flagworld.com/news/?p=16061#more-16061

the team has confirmed that all other events remain questionable in the current economic climate.

i would like to see Andretti Green as Kim Green still has a share of Andretti Green
Kim Green(Australian)

markabilly
10th May 2009, 01:07
Bernie is just drumming up PR publicity ofr his "series"

chuck34
10th May 2009, 04:03
I would love to see Penske back in F1. But I do wonder if he would come back now considering everything else he has going on, and his history with the sport.

Andretti sounds more logical to me. He has a "big enough head" to think he could do it. And Marco and Danica have been making a lot of noise in that direction. I hope not as I see that as being a giant mess. Although if he teamed up with Wirth, that might be interesting.

On second thought. Who has already teamed up with Wirth and has some F1 experience as a team manager? THAT would be good!

F1boat
10th May 2009, 08:09
I don't want to be pessimistic, but IMO Marco and Danica will make Nelson look good. Marco had a decent rookie season in IRL, but after that he is rubbish and Danica is not much better...

millencolin
10th May 2009, 08:52
It will be interesting if the Captain re-enters F1, especially if he uses Helio and Ryan.

replace Helio with Will Power, and I would be the happiest racing fan around!

anthonyvop
10th May 2009, 19:48
Old story.

Heck i reported it back in Feb

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/129498-what-if-another-american-f1-team

It is neither Penske or AGR

woody2goody
10th May 2009, 19:57
I bet Chip Ganassi could do it with Dario Franchitti and Scott Dixon. If I recall Dixon wasn't too shabby in a Williams a while ago.

52Paddy
10th May 2009, 23:47
I bet Chip Ganassi could do it with Dario Franchitti and Scott Dixon. If I recall Dixon wasn't too shabby in a Williams a while ago.

Funny you mention Franchitti. He was tipped* as F1s next young gun as far back as 2000 along with Bruno Junqueira and Juan Pablo Montoya!

*an old F1 manual reviewing 1999 and previewing 2000 had a section on young drivers of the time who may be on their way to an F1 seat. I think Dario might be a bit old for an F1 drive now though.

Oli_M
11th May 2009, 09:51
I would prefer to see Penske or Ganassi in F1 than AGR - I believe they would provide a better entry. However, I struggle to see what this will gain them compared to their IndyCar, NASCAR and Grand Am programs?

Placid
12th May 2009, 01:21
My other longshots will be Newman-Haas-Lanigan, Forsythe, and RLR.

Snowball's chance for Vision!!!!!

ozrevhead
12th May 2009, 02:40
replace Helio with Will Power, and I would be the happiest racing fan around!
equal happiest racing fan around :D

JasonD
12th May 2009, 14:20
Andretti Green , eh ?

Barry sold the team to his brother Kim and Micheal Andretti a few years back, no connection with Barry or Jacques.

Could it be AGR though? Dont they field the US A1GP team? Not a huge stretch really, especially with the budget caps.

Placid
13th May 2009, 10:02

I left out Forsythe. They would be perfect as well.

Another mention is Michael Jordan who has AMA teams.

pits4me
14th May 2009, 00:19

Almost sounds like the Forsythe-Walker cat is out of the bag, eh?

wmcot
14th May 2009, 06:29
Penske won't stay if he doesn't dominate. Look at his history. He's only in Grand-Am because Porsche pulled out of ALMS and he still wants Porsche money.