PDA

View Full Version : OT- Penske or AGR to enter F1?

DBell
9th May 2009, 16:03
I saw this at an F1 site.

http://planetf1.com/story/0,18954,3213_5304585,00.html

Anyone who's around the teams hearing any rumors about this?

anthonyvop
10th May 2009, 19:58
I saw this at an F1 site.

http://planetf1.com/story/0,18954,3213_5304585,00.html

Anyone who's around the teams hearing any rumors about this?

I broke this story back in feb.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/129498-what-if-another-american-f1-team

It is neither Penske or AGR.

Chris R
10th May 2009, 22:32
I have no inside info - but I am thinking Penske has unfinished business... It seems like AGR needs more consistent success in its core operations before it moves to F-1....

DanicaFan
11th May 2009, 00:11
I was in the AGR garage most of the weekend. No F1 talk at all there. They have more important tasks at hand to worry about this month. They are still trying to get all the cars and thier parts painted up with the new color schemes for Danica's and Marco's cars.

The only talk rite now is Danica possibly extending her contract with AGR.

anthonyvop
11th May 2009, 01:07
It is NOT Penske or AGR!!!!

It is comprised of some famous names and are much farther along than most realize.

Placid
11th May 2009, 03:09
Either Gannasi or NHL?

Mark in Oshawa
11th May 2009, 04:40
I think unless the economy improves, it wont be anyone.

I cant ever see Penske going back, he likes his money too much to start up that black hole that is funding an f1 effort. It is one thing to be in the IRL or NASCAR, you can recoup the costs with sponsors, but f1 is a different deal and a much more politically charged atmosphere. Roger likes to race.

Also, Roger is likely going to be buying the Saturn division of GM if rumours I read in Saturday's paper are true. I think that solves that issue....

garyshell
11th May 2009, 05:23

It is comprised of some famous names and are much farther along than most realize.

Like Dan Gurney, maybe?

Gary

anthonyvop
11th May 2009, 12:43
Like Dan Gurney, maybe?

Gary
The "other" US F1 is more financially secure than the more famous USGP team. Staff is being hired. Locations and equipment secured.

beachbum
11th May 2009, 17:52
The "other" US F1 is more financially secure than the more famous USGP team. Staff is being hired. Locations and equipment secured.Personally, I think it is just another of Bernie's ramblings. I am seriously beginning to wonder if senility is setting in.

dataman1
11th May 2009, 18:27
Why is everyone guessing it is an existing IRL team? Sato & De feran were together at Indy.... Who knows...other than Anthony...? I don't, purely a guess.

garyshell
11th May 2009, 20:18
Why is everyone guessing it is an existing IRL team? Sato & De feran were together at Indy.... Who knows...other than Anthony...? I don't, purely a guess.

I'm guessing Gurney.

Gary

garyshell
11th May 2009, 20:19
Personally, I think it is just another of Bernie's ramblings. I am seriously beginning to wonder if senility is setting in.

Beginning?

Gary

methanolHuffer
11th May 2009, 21:51
Hmm. I'll throw in an imaginative guess: Panoz

I can only think that Panoz would have the restraint to NOT say it might give it a go.
They just don't seem wreckless at all. Don and Dan hold their cards pretty close to their chest. And if Bernie would be so stupid to let on about them, it would be over before it starts.

+Liquid Money, Experienced Constructor, Close European Roots, Successful because they are smart - and know how to get smart people.

-Too smart to spend their own money(on F1), never built an entirely dominant car, they seem solidly grounded in Georgia, No one would ever say Panoz is the new Ferrari.

I'm just imagining the long shots, I guess.

beachbum
11th May 2009, 22:06
Beginning?

GaryI was trying to be nice.

call_me_andrew
12th May 2009, 02:38

Either Gannasi or NHL?

More likely Hendrick or Childress.

ozrevhead
12th May 2009, 02:46

Well thanks alot for giving me some false hope! :( ;)

Placid
13th May 2009, 09:56
How about Michael Jordan? Have 2 USF1 Teams. It will be interesting.

Or get Jerry Forsythe!!!

RusH
13th May 2009, 13:22
My inside sources tell me Chip is thowing back Montoya across the pond. Cohiba Cigars is looking to sponsor the team.

It`s also possible that the great Sterling Marlin will represent the American effort.

Chris R
13th May 2009, 19:59
My inside sources tell me Chip is thowing back Montoya across the pond. Cohiba Cigars is looking to sponsor the team.

It`s also possible that the great Sterling Marlin will represent the American effort.

You had me untill the Sterling Marlin part -Stirling or Sterling; Marlin or Moss - I guess it is all the same..... ;)

Chris R
13th May 2009, 20:04
Personally, I think it is just another of Bernie's ramblings. I am seriously beginning to wonder if senility is setting in.

I wish I were half as senile as Bernie in some ways :s mokin: .... I would say he knows exactly what he is saying and why - and here we all are guessing about it... Don't get me wrong, I am not a big Bernie fan - but they guy is far from senile.....

My best guess is that there is a lot of interest from top AOWR teams because of the supposed 2013 drop dead ate for the IRL - these guys need somewhere to race just in case so I am thinking there are a lot of people "kicking the tires". I would not be surprised if the ultimate ploy of this whole budget cap thing etc. is to further destabilize AOWR (and A1GP and any other competing open wheel series)to the benefit of Formula 1 instead of NASCAR as it has been in the past....

DBell
13th May 2009, 21:18
I don't think F1 is worried about any other OW series at the moment. This war going on in F1 right now is all about who's going to control F1 in the coming years. Teams want more say in the rules and a bigger slice of the pie. Control and money are what Max and Bernie are all about and they are trying to keep it.