PDA

View Full Version : Indy tire testing

wedge
9th May 2009, 12:05
Flicking through Autosport mag recently and the recent tire test wasn't very good. Still can't do half a tank of fuel without destroying the tyres.

harvick#1
10th May 2009, 00:12
thank the great piece of crap car.

another Brickyard 400 it looks like with an asterisk to the winner. I just hope Nascar lets the teams race this time and force them to pit when they feel they need to pit, it would've been alot more interesting to have seen it played out that way last year, then to see Nascar have a caution every 12 laps

Lee Roy
10th May 2009, 04:38
NASCAR needs to forget about Indy. Move that race to Kentucky.

Mark in Oshawa
11th May 2009, 05:01
Lee Roy...I wouldn't go out of my way to watch another race on a 1.5 mile cookie cutter. I would rather they solve the tire issue.

Nothing against Kentucky, but this car is far more entertaining on flat ovals than it is anywhere else. Indy however is a headache, I wont disagree.

Haulin'AssAndTurnin Left
11th May 2009, 16:38
Lee Roy...I wouldn't go out of my way to watch another race on a 1.5 mile cookie cutter. I would rather they solve the tire issue.

Nothing against Kentucky, but this car is far more entertaining on flat ovals than it is anywhere else. Indy however is a headache, I wont disagree.

It would still be more of a race than what we saw at indy last year. If it dont work this year they should ask nicely if they would repave the track, if they dont go elsewhere.

Theres a couple of good tracks in North Carolina that had some pretty good racing that could be brought back from the dead ;) (I know its a Pipe dream)

Sparky1329
11th May 2009, 17:40
thank the great piece of crap car.

another Brickyard 400 it looks like with an asterisk to the winner. I just hope Nascar lets the teams race this time and force them to pit when they feel they need to pit, it would've been alot more interesting to have seen it played out that way last year, then to see Nascar have a caution every 12 laps

At the rate the tires were falling apart there would've been a caution every few laps anyway. NASCAR called cautions to protect the drivers from serious injury and I can't beat them up for that.

jeffmr2
11th May 2009, 20:31
If they still cant get the tyres work why dont nascar change the race format to something along the lines of the allstar event and make it a non points weekend?

RaceFanStan
11th May 2009, 23:45
If Goodyear was smart, they would sub-contract out the manufacturing of the tires for Indy. :eek:

call_me_andrew
12th May 2009, 02:35
At the rate the tires were falling apart there would've been a caution every few laps anyway. NASCAR called cautions to protect the drivers from serious injury and I can't beat them up for that.

Yeah, but after a few cautions the drivers should be smart enough to pit for new tires without being prompted by NASCAR.

e2mtt
12th May 2009, 03:09
How about steel belted radials? but put the steel belts on the outside. Every corner could be a powerslide through a shower of sparks... good show for a night race. :-D

harvick#1
12th May 2009, 08:15
Yeah, but after a few cautions the drivers should be smart enough to pit for new tires without being prompted by NASCAR.

a race is a race, as they say in golf "got to play it where is lands"

so the question would have had it where drivers cant go flat out and have to take care of the tires, I thought it would've been a great chess match but Nascar handed the teams a freebie.

and don't say nascar does anything for Safety, because in reality they don't, have they done anything to talladega after the outcry over half the drivers said to Nascar and the track

Lee Roy
12th May 2009, 12:45
The solution is for NASCAR to leave Indy. NASCAR doesn't need it.

e2mtt
12th May 2009, 13:04
The solution is for NASCAR to leave Indy. NASCAR doesn't need it.

Leave the most famous racetrack in the world in favor of an unexciting and unknown track in hillbilly country? NASCAR really needs to put you in charge of marketing.

Lee Roy
12th May 2009, 14:03
Leave the most famous racetrack in the world in favor of an unexciting and unknown track in hillbilly country? NASCAR really needs to put you in charge of marketing.

The way things are going at Indy, pretty soon no one is going to be attending or watching the NASCAR race there. Best to go to a racetrack where they can actually race

Hillbilly country??? NASCAR should put you in charge of public relations.

RaceFanStan
12th May 2009, 14:38
Leave the most famous racetrack in the world in favor of an unexciting and unknown track in hillbilly country?
NASCAR really needs to put you in charge of marketing.
"hillbilly country" is a very offensive term, it throws a negative light on NASCAR imo.
Perhaps I should have deleted your comment but I will leave it for all to see.
If you can't talk without throwing insults you won't be welcome in the NASCAR forum.
Consider this a warning as I won't bother with a PM & start an off the board argument. http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif
================================================== ==========
FYI the famous Indianapolis track hosted the worst NASCAR race of 2008.
If Goodyear can't make a tire to stay together @ Indy, then they need to work with Firestone ...
or NASCAR should leave the Brickyard & move the race someplace else where the racing would be better :!:

harvick#1
12th May 2009, 15:55
the problem isn't goodyear though, it was the car.

Nascar should bring back the old car for this race only and the problem would disappear, they never had tire problems with that car, but when the CoT made its first actual race last year, thats where the problem stemmed.

or I say they run the Road course section :D

e2mtt
12th May 2009, 16:27
Sorry, I didn't mean to be offensive with the hillbilly comment. My point is Kentucky Speedway is an new & unknown track in in the country in Kentucky, and yet another mile-and-a-half track. It may deserve a race, but not Indy's!

Goodyear needs to make a better tire, NASCAR requires the inner liner, and then leave it up to to the drivers & crews to setup & drive to make the tires last.

The mandatory cautions just enabled teams to continue using their fast but unreasonably aggressive setups.

Lee Roy
12th May 2009, 18:43
Sorry, I didn't mean to be offensive with the hillbilly comment. My point is Kentucky Speedway is an new & unknown track in in the country in Kentucky, and yet another mile-and-a-half track. It may deserve a race, but not Indy's!.

New and unknown track? The Nationwide series has been racing there since it opened.

In the country? So are many other NASCAR tracks. The Kentucky Speedway is 61 miles from Louisville and 49 miles from Cincinatti (you know, where people who aren't from Kentucky live). It is also 152 miles from Indianapolis. They seem to make it to this track for the IRL race.

jeffmr2
12th May 2009, 20:39
I say they run the Road course section :D

Thats actually a pretty good idea,im guessiing the lower speed and infield loop will help with tyre wear (although it didnt for f1 the other year)

Lee Roy
12th May 2009, 20:43
Thats actually a pretty good idea,im guessiing the lower speed and infield loop will help with tyre wear (although it didnt for f1 the other year)

I like that idea also. I went to all but one of the F1 races at Indy, and with the exception of the turns they call "Mickey & Minnie", I think the NASCAR race would be an improvement on the road course. I would love to see the cars go barreling into that 90 degree right-hander on the first lap.