PDA

View Full Version : Heavy or pop ??

A.F.F.
7th May 2009, 21:57
These performances are from Finnish version of Swedish TV format, Körslaget finale ( Choirwar freely translated :) )

Timo Kotipelto, the lead singer of Stratovarius,and his choir from Lappajärvi had a consistent line of heavy music throughout the whole show.

Mikki Kauste and his choir from Espoo chose the opposite line of pop and poll and made it to finale.

Which one you prefer ...

This ??
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPPRZvHhpHY

or this ??
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrAVDsCZmTA&feature=related

janneppi
8th May 2009, 07:09
Without watching the vids, I'd say neither. ;)

Garry Walker
8th May 2009, 16:33
These performances are from Finnish version of Swedish TV format, Körslaget finale ( Choirwar freely translated :) )

Timo Kotipelto, the lead singer of Stratovarius,and his choir from Lappajärvi had a consistent line of heavy music throughout the whole show.

Mikki Kauste and his choir from Espoo chose the opposite line of pop and poll and made it to finale.

Which one you prefer ...

This ??
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPPRZvHhpHY

This is just...Awful is far too nice a word.

Brown, Jon Brow
8th May 2009, 19:35
I prefer silence

Magnus
8th May 2009, 20:36
Hmm... Uh... Mm... hmm... Uh... Ehrm...
If I have to choose I choose the first one.
The second one is...is not very beautiful.

ShiftingGears
9th May 2009, 02:22
I prefer silence

:up: :up:

Mark in Oshawa
9th May 2009, 05:00
What's with this group thing? Why would Finn's want their youth to be singing foreign music in a language that most likely don't really understand?

I liked the AC/DC thing better, but both seemed very cheesy to me. The girls in the first one were damned cute tho..lol..but then again I have a thing for shapely blondes but man...that is just cheesy.

I would be much less critical if they were singing pop music in Finnish. This reminded me of the crappy bits they show on American Idol of the cast singing some put together bit of cheese as filler....

Eki
9th May 2009, 07:00
What's with this group thing? Why would Finn's want their youth to be singing foreign music in a language that most likely don't really understand?

What part of "you shook me all night long" or "womanizer" do you think they don't understand? Other than that, I don't think there's not much meaningful messages in those songs.

slinkster
9th May 2009, 19:57
I thought they were both pretty bad. :(

Mark in Oshawa
11th May 2009, 04:13
What part of "you shook me all night long" or "womanizer" do you think they don't understand? Other than that, I don't think there's not much meaningful messages in those songs.

OH I suppose they understand the words to a point Eki, English has permeated a lot of cultures that don't speak it, but I guess if I am watching the youth of my country producing music in some competition, it would be nice if they did music that was in their native tongue and/or from my part of the world.

Canadian Idol was in English, but a few of the French Canadian's did try to use some Quebecois tunes, and most of the contestants did use some Canadian artists at various points for inspiration. I would find it weird however is someone came out singing some hit that was big in Germany 15 years ago.

Eki
11th May 2009, 05:49
OH I suppose they understand the words to a point Eki, English has permeated a lot of cultures that don't speak it, but I guess if I am watching the youth of my country producing music in some competition, it would be nice if they did music that was in their native tongue and/or from my part of the world.

Canadian Idol was in English, but a few of the French Canadian's did try to use some Quebecois tunes, and most of the contestants did use some Canadian artists at various points for inspiration. I would find it weird however is someone came out singing some hit that was big in Germany 15 years ago.
That's because you're not used to it. About as many Finnish artists sing in English as in Finnish. I don't think the internationally best selling Finnish band HIM would have sold that many records in the US if they sang in Finnish:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HIM_(band)

HIM is a rock band from Finland formed in 1991 by vocalist Ville Valo, guitarist Mikko Lindström, and bassist Mikko Paananen.[1] They have released six full length albums to date. As of 2009, they are the only Finnish band to have an album certified a "gold record" in the United States.

Mark in Oshawa
11th May 2009, 05:55
Yes...that is true Eki. I forget that the first language of Pop music is English it seems.....

A.F.F.
12th May 2009, 09:20
Yet this show was a huge success and I believe it'll continue next year.