PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki reconsidering F1 return for Super Aguri

woody2goody
6th May 2009, 23:12
http://www.itv-f1.com/news_article.aspx?id=45774

I like the sound of that a lot. Bring back Super Aguri! Maybe Ant and Taku could drive for them again?

V12
7th May 2009, 02:26
Super Aguri was the classic case of something good being done for the wrong reasons, namely saving face for Honda after the outcry when Sato was replaced by Rubens.... And sure enough when the project ceased to be useful for Honda's ends, it was dropped like a hot potato.

If...and it's a big if, Suzuki can get the whole thing up and running again under his own steam (obviously there'd be no Honda support this time around) then all the power to him :up:

Valve Bounce
7th May 2009, 02:37
Super Aguri was the classic case of something good being done for the wrong reasons, namely saving face for Honda after the outcry when Sato was replaced by Rubens.... And sure enough when the project ceased to be useful for Honda's ends, it was dropped like a hot potato.

If...and it's a big if, Suzuki can get the whole thing up and running again under his own steam (obviously there'd be no Honda support this time around) then all the power to him :up:

Your assessment is spot on.

However, I cannot see this happening. :(

aryan
7th May 2009, 07:26
Your assessment is spot on.

However, I cannot see this happening. :(

I'd have to say though, Valve, you wouldn't love anything more than that, would you :D

I think if Super Aguri launches, we should form the first ever Victorian Super Aguri fan club, and we should have a toast to you, SA's most ardent ever fan! :p

Valve Bounce
7th May 2009, 10:42
I'd have to say though, Valve, you wouldn't love anything more than that, would you :D

I think if Super Aguri launches, we should form the first ever Victorian Super Aguri fan club, and we should have a toast to you, SA's most ardent ever fan! :p

Yes!! you've got that right. If ever there was a team formed that was the underdog, and who performed in a manner that brought me joy, this was it.

veeten
7th May 2009, 12:46
if it does, Aguri will be starting from scratch. Franz Hilmer is the present owner of Super Aguri's assets, including their old Leafield operations, and he has been talking about a team in partnership with Colin Kolles.

Even with the new cost-capping measures, it will have to wait until '11-'12 to see what presents itself.

millencolin
7th May 2009, 12:56
I know this is the biggest If... but if super aguri could find their way back on the grid i would be amazed!

Knock-on
7th May 2009, 13:46
Perhaps they could use Brawn customer cars :D

Dave B
7th May 2009, 14:03
If it happens I'll be mighty pleased: they were a classic underdog team showing that it could be done. Admittedly they had Honda support, but it became painfully clear that they were unloved and unwanted by their Japanese paymasters. Freed up from the corporate shackles that come with "B-team" status they might just spring a surprise.

The only difficult I can forsee is that they sold off their manufacturing capabilities. Where would they build their cars now?

truefan72
7th May 2009, 16:57
oddly enough, I see Super Aguri being given adequate support by Honda as an engine supplier and other aspects. They probably realize that they screwed up mighty with their F1 decisions. It looks like their way to come back into the sport without a full financial commitment.

UltimateDanGTR
7th May 2009, 17:46
id love to see them back.

but believe it when i see it

Valve Bounce
7th May 2009, 23:28
oddly enough, I see Super Aguri being given adequate support by Honda as an engine supplier and other aspects. They probably realize that they screwed up mighty with their F1 decisions. It looks like their way to come back into the sport without a full financial commitment.

How about Brawn hand-me-downs powered by Honda? That would be innovative, would please many in Japan, and bring the name Honda back into F1.

wmcot
8th May 2009, 07:32
Maybe they could get Suzuki (the corporation) to stump up some cash for badging the engines as "Suzuki." Either that or wait a couple of years and Max will have everyone running customer Suzuki Samurai Engines! :?:

Dave B
8th May 2009, 07:52
I can't see Honda supplying engines to anybody in the immediate future. Maybe Toyota - if they remain in F1 - could be a possibility.

I'm not sure there would be any transfer of parts with Brawn as there was in the Honda era; the two would exist as totally seperate and rival teams.

Valve Bounce
8th May 2009, 09:33
I can't see Honda supplying engines to anybody in the immediate future. .

WHY? :confused:

V12
8th May 2009, 09:46
Last time Honda quit - Mugen took over their old supply of engines (actually of 1990 vintage) and kept the Honda name half in the sport right up until Honda's return, developing engines from that starting point and winning races in the year before Honda's return, 1999. Could something similar happen this time around?

Valve Bounce
8th May 2009, 09:51
Last time Honda quit - Mugen took over their old supply of engines (actually of 1990 vintage) and kept the Honda name half in the sport right up until Honda's return, developing engines from that starting point and winning races in the year before Honda's return, 1999. Could something similar happen this time around?

Yes we can!!

However, to be perfectly honest, I cannot see Aguri returning to any F1 deal, let alone with Honda who pulled the plug on him. And let's not forget that Honda was the driving force behind Super Aguri - I still remember the statement made by Honda's chairman who said they are rewarding ant's years of loyalty to Honda with a drive with Super Aguri. Super Aguri was Honda's second team, make no mistake.